AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2433 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tottingham Hotspurs
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:47 pm 
Major General
Major General

I thought he was axed in summer .. didnt to that bad at spurs ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:43 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

pakrooney wrote:
I thought he was axed in summer .. didnt to that bad at spurs ..

Had some expensive flops he came in to take the responsibility off Levy and try to open up doors for Spurs to sign bigger names.

Lamela
Soldado
Paulinho
Capoue
Chiraches

Apart from Lamela all players sold for about 50% what Spurs paid.

This summers recruitment apparently handled by Paul Mitchell who came in from Southampton last season.

Think they had a couple of poor Windows but they seem to be recovering from that now building an exciting young side.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:42 am 
Major General
Major General

I think Lamela can still turn it around for him and spurs .. he has looked good this season. I think lot of young current crop like Ali , Dier , Davies were also bought under baldini includin eriksen ..

This is young team pochetino (sp) is building and i think they average around 23/24 i dont think they will finish in top 4 but they should get Europa League spot and try to win it ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:53 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

pakrooney wrote:
I think Lamela can still turn it around for him and spurs .. he has looked good this season. I think lot of young current crop like Ali , Dier , Davies were also bought under baldini includin eriksen ..

This is young team pochetino (sp) is building and i think they average around 23/24 i dont think they will finish in top 4 but they should get Europa League spot and try to win it ..

I agree Spurs should go all out to win the Europa League this season.

1) It's a trophy. Fans want to win trophies.
2) It's there best route in to the CL this season
3) It's very important that all the English sides do well in Europe as currently we are risking losing one of our 4 CL spots to Italy and Europa League points count a lot towards that.

I think Spurs will just look to stay a solid top 10 sides over the next 10 years while they build and pay for that stadium.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:36 pm 
Major General
Major General

Well both English teams loosing ATM .. Co-efficient trending ..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:45 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
“He is enthusiastic and has strong opinions,” said Harry Redknapp this week about himself. Sorry, Tim Sherwood. In Redknapp’s enthusiastic and strong opinion, that makes Sherwood a potentially great manager. Redknapp probably thinks rather less of Mauricio Pochettino, who never knowingly says anything of any interest whatsoever. He is not quite at Manuel Pellegrini levels of anodyne, but it’s difficult to gauge what he may possibly feel strongly about, except that his teams should be focused and work hard – a recurring theme that does not lend itself to click-bait headlines.

Pochettino is the quiet man of Premier League management, working quietly for a side that is quietly doing rather well. While our eyes were bleeding at the ‘entertainment’ at Old Trafford, Tottenham were quietly dismantling Bournemouth. Last week, while all attention was on Liverpool’s gegenpressing, Tottenham were quietly just plain pressing in the usual fashion and registering another clean sheet. They are quietly the Premier League’s youngest side, quietly matching the three title favourites defensively and quietly the top flight’s most voracious tacklers.

If this was a Tottenham side playing under Redknapp or Sherwood, there would be loud backslapping about the youth of a squad that is the product of five years of transfer business conducted at a profit; Spurs are the only Premier League club who can make that claim. Instead of Pochettino urging Roy Hodgson not to pick the raw Dele Alli, there would have been boasts that Alli was the new Steven Gerrard and the theoretical price would be set at £40m – a guaranteed headline. Instead of Pochettino generously crediting Eric Dier with the intelligence to play in central midfield, there would have been self-congratulatory noises about the tactical genius in the room; they might have just stopped short of literally pointing to themselves.

Pochettino, on the other hand, is so unassuming that we have to rely on his players to get an insight into the man.

“He’s one of those managers whose door is always open,” said the rapidly maturing Kyle Walker this week. “I know a lot of managers say that, but his really is.”

The inference is clear: Pochettino talks quietly in private while other managers are loud when the media are in earshot.

“If you’ve got a problem in football, or even outside of it, you can always go and talk to him. Those man-management skills are vital for young players like we have. It’s critical to develop the squad, but we also need to develop as individuals.”

This youthful, ego-light squad is exactly suited to the strengths of the bluster-free Pochettino, who seemingly gets his team to run further and faster without resorting to the bully-boy tactics of old school managers forcing their charges to run up sand dunes. Like all the most effective teachers, the Argentine demands discipline while remaining approachable. It’s easy to see why Emmanuel Adebayor ceased to figure in his plans.

“The more experienced players probably couldn’t handle what we do, so it’s lucky we haven’t got too many old heads,” says Walker. While Arsene Wenger talks about a ‘golden age’ of footballers between 27 and 32, his near neighbours boast a squad with only two players in that bracket. It’s not a demographic that would suit everybody – Sherwood panicked at Villa and turned to Alan Hutton and Kieran Richardson – but it clearly suits Pochettino at Tottenham just as it suited him at Southampton.

It seems unlikely that the youngest Premier League squad would win the Premier League title but for Tottenham’s current ambitions – curtailed by a stadium-enforced period of austerity – of maintaining a top-six position while developing players to be sold on for profit, it is perfect. It is no coincidence that the only three sides across Europe with a younger average age than Tottenham this season (Valencia, Nice and Bayer Leverkusen) are clubs with very similar ambitions.

They say that he who shouts loudest, gets heard. But maybe not by the people that actually matter.

Sarah Winterburn

Hard not to be impressed with Spurs this season they are ticking along nicely and if Kane finds some form again they'll probably start attracting the headlines rather than flying under the radar only 5 points off the leaders City and 3 off 4th place Utd.

Lamela is finally starting to show glimpses of a £30m player, Eriksen just carries on doing his thing without the big song and dance, Alderwireld & Vertonghen appear to have forged a very strong and competent CB pairing and behind them they have a very good keeper in Lloris.

The North London Derby is coming up in a few weeks I guess that's where we'll see a bit more of a test for Spurs but they haven't lost since the first day of the season when they lost to Utd and they didn't really deserve to lose that one.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:55 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Tottenham's Andros Townsend has been left out of Thursday's Europa League tie with Anderlecht after clashing with Spurs fitness coach Nathan Gardiner.

Townsend, 24, was an unused substitute in Monday's win over Aston Villa and was pictured pushing and arguing with Gardiner on the pitch after the game.

"He did not train with the group. He is not available to be selected," Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino said.

"It's because of Monday. If you behave the wrong way you always need to pay."

Townsend has yet to start in the Premier League this term and Pochettino preferred to bring on Ryan Mason and 18-year-old Josh Onomah in the second half against Villa.

"It's always my decision when he is available again to be part of the squad.

"Discipline for me is very important. I can understand the player - we have a young squad and a player can make a mistake - but when you cross the limit it is important to stop that.

"Has he apologised? Yes, he recognised it was a mistake," Pochettino added.

"I can understand because I was a player and when you don't play you're unhappy and sometimes your expectation is bigger than the manager provides you.

"But it was not normal behaviour. He is young and you need to understand that it isn't the way to impress the manager."

Pochettino stressed that Townsend, who progressed through the Spurs academy and made his first-team debut in 2011, does still have a future at White Hart Lane.

"All players have a future. It's up to them to have a future here. Football can change quick," he said.

"He is in the squad because we believe in him and believe he can give us very good things, but it is up to the player when he has the chance to impress me and show I am wrong in my decision."

Have to admit I've never really believed the hype with Townsend and fair play to Spurs for disciplining him for it and it sounds like he's accepted it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:58 pm 
Major General
Major General

he got found after his initial bust .. all he could do was was cut out and swing cross ..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:06 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Tottenham Hotspur are shedding their soft reputation, according to Mousa Dembélé, with Mauricio Pochettino’s team left frustrated only to emerge with a point from Sunday’s game against the champions, Chelsea.

The goalless stalemate at White Hart Lane extended Spurs’ unbeaten league run to 13 matches, their best sequence since 1985, to leave them just outside the Champions League qualification places and only four points from the top.

They have bought into the high-energy game Pochettino has looked to promote, even if the lengthy midweek trip to Baku – and possibly the midday kick-off on Sunday – appeared to blunt their approach against the champions.

Dembélé was one of the few first-team regulars who had not travelled to Azerbaijan for Thursday’s game against Qarabag, when progress in the Europa League was assured. But the Belgium midfielder has taken heart from the side’s lengthy unbeaten run, particularly given previous criticisms that the team have faded when confronted by elite rivals. “I think everybody can see our mentality and the way we are playing are different,” he said. “I don’t want to say it but we just feel we are now men. We are more confident and we are more of a group. That is something we have worked on for a long time. So we are really happy with how it’s going.

“I think we are accomplished enough to say now we can win any game. If we have the same mentality we have now, of course we can. We want to end up first but I don’t try to think that far ahead. The next game is important and then after that every week will be a challenge. Before, maybe, we might have been happy to draw with Chelsea but now we are disappointed, and that is a positive thing. We have grown so much in so many different departments and we know we could have beaten Chelsea. But it wasn’t a negative day. There is such a positive vibe in the group. It is very important now to continue that good vibe.”

Spurs have already played the four clubs ahead of them in the table, as well as the four directly below, and now embark on a sequence of fixtures that, on paper at least, would appear to be less daunting. “But we must make sure we keep our focus,” Dembélé said. “Sometimes it is more difficult to do that for these games than the ones like on Sunday against Chelsea. Nobody had to give a speech to get us up for that. But we have to remember all the games in the Premier League are difficult.

“It does not matter whether they are the big clubs or the ‘smaller’ ones. As we have seen, anyone can win against anyone. We have a lot of respect for everyone but we know we must win the games against the ‘smaller’ clubs if we are to achieve our ambition of finishing high in the league. We cannot underestimate anyone, but I have every confidence we are going to be sharp. We are a big group with a lot of qualities. Maybe in the past it was different. But at the moment, if somebody is not at his best, anybody can come in and play.”

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:14 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Tottenham midfielder Dele Alli has signed a new contract that will keep him at the club until 2021.

The 19-year-old, who joined Spurs last February from MK Dons, has impressed in his first full season and has scored six goals in 30 appearances so far.

"When I signed I knew wanted to play for Spurs," he told the club website.

"I've played a few games and showed people what I can do. I'm 19, have a lot to learn and can't think of a better place to do that."

Alli played at youth levels for England before receiving his first senior call-up for the Euro 2016 qualifiers against Estonia and Lithuania last October.

He made his debut as a substitute against Estonia and a month later scored his first international goal, a long-range effort against France.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:22 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Moussa Dembele of Fulham, could join Mousa Dembele at Spurs

:applause:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:11 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Tottenham Hotspur's Belgium midfielder Mousa Dembele has signed a new three-year contract with the club.

The 28-year-old, who was a £15m signing from Fulham in 2012, has scored three times in 18 games to help Spurs challenge for the Premier League title.

"The way we're playing, the way the club is developing, everything is very good," Dembele told the Spurs website.

"Everyone wants to be part of this team and this club. That's why I am proud to extend my contract."

This guy has caused us so many problems down the years just powering through our midfield like it wasn't there didn't have the best start at Spurs but under Pochetinno he's become an important player.

When he's on his game you can't get the all off him always seems to turn out of trouble and when he's at his best he then starts going full steam ahead towards your goal.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:16 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Moussa Dembélé is having a medical at Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday, before a £6m transfer from Fulham but the likelihood remains that the centre-forward will be loaned back to Craven Cottage for the remainder of the season.

Tottenham want the 19-year-old straight away, with the need for cover up front for Harry Kane well documented and they continue to push for the deal to happen now. But Fulham are steadfastly refusing to allow Tottenham to have their way over their No1 January transfer target, as they fight for survival towards the foot of the Championship.

Fulham are under a Football League transfer embargo, which prevents them from making signings this month – apart from cut-price loans – and so it has made no sense to them to sell Dembélé, one of their star players and only goal threats, when they cannot replace him adequately.

Dembélé, who has 11 goals in all competitions this season, is out of contract in the summer but if he moved to an English club as a free agent, Fulham would still receive a fee for him, which would be fixed by a tribunal.

Tottenham continue to hope that they can break Fulham’s resolve regarding the timing of Dembélé’s arrival before Monday night’s transfer deadline and it is fair to say that the player wants to join them immediately.

But at the very least, Tottenham have seen the merit in tying up the deal now, even if it means them paying a bit more than they might have done at tribunal, because there is such interest in the player both in England and mainland Europe.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:20 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Fulham have angrily called off Moussa Dembélé’s proposed £6m move to Tottenham Hotspur after a row over the centre-forward’s loan-back arrangement.

The west London club have insisted all along that Dembélé cannot and will not be allowed to play elsewhere for the remainder of the season given their precarious position just above the Championship relegation places and the imperative to keep hold of one of their few goal threats.

Their position has been thrown into sharper focus by the club being under a Football League transfer embargo.

Fulham negotiated a deal with Tottenham that would allow the 19-year-old to sign off on the deal now but return to Craven Cottage until the end of May. Dembélé’s Fulham contract expires at the end of the season and even though he would then be permitted to move as a free agent, they would still receive a fee for him at tribunal if he were to join an English club.

Dembélé underwent a medical at Tottenham on Saturday and the transaction looked set to be confirmed. But Tottenham have continued to push for the player to be allowed to join them straight away to the point where it became a deal-breaker. There is understood to be precious little chance of the deal being revived before the window shuts on Monday night.

Amid acrimony and accusations of agreements being reneged upon, Dembélé has been left disappointed and Tottenham will have to look elsewhere for the cover up front for Harry Kane that they need immediately. They could make a move for West Bromwich Albion’s Saido Berahino, the striker that they unsuccessfully tried to sign last summer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:15 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Daniel Levy has confirmed that John McDermott, the Tottenham Hotspur head of coaching and development, has taken on the responsibility of overseeing every age group at the club below first-team level.

McDermott, who has been a target for Manchester United, has built his reputation as a shrewd judge of young players at the club’s academy and he has developed a close working relationship with the manager, Mauricio Pochettino, and the head of recruitment, Paul Mitchell.

The trio discuss new signings and, more pertinently for the club’s current project, whether they can promote talent from the youth ranks. Pochettino routinely includes academy players in his training sessions and each of them comes on the recommendation of McDermott.

Pochettino is determined to put structures in place that will lead to long-term solidity and success, and McDermott – together with Mitchell – is a key part of the process. Pochettino took Mitchell from Southampton, the club at which he previously worked, to replace Franco Baldini, who left his post as sporting director last September.

There has been no fanfare related to McDermott’s increased influence at the club but Levy, the chairman, offered an insight when he spoke to the Tottenham Hotspur Supporters’ Trust last week.

The THST published the minutes of its meeting, writing that Levy had “explained how John McDermott was now in charge of everything below the first team, including the under-21s,” and how “there was regular dialogue with McDermott, Pochettino and Mitchell regarding recruitment and talent.

“All three would be considering whether we have the talent under our first team that we could promote up. The approach is always to try and promote up, if possible.”

The THST also wrote that Levy had said the decision to loan the centre-half Federico Fazio to Sevilla last month was possible only because Pochettino, McDermott and Mitchell were “confident in the abilities of a younger player to step up to the first team, if required”.

The 18-year-old Cameron Carter-Vickers is a part of this thinking.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:20 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Tottenham midfielder Dele Alli could face a three-match ban after footage appeared to show him punching West Brom's Claudio Yacob in the stomach.

The PFA young player of the year made contact with the Baggies midfielder during a first-half set-piece in Monday's 1-1 draw.

The Football Association might act retrospectively after studying the video and rule his action was violent.

Monday's result dealt a blow to Spurs' Premier League title hopes.

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino said he had not seen the Alli incident but added: "Sometimes the opponents find him and try to provoke, they know he has a strong character and may react."

The standard punishment for violent conduct is a three match ban.

Second-placed Spurs are seven points adrift of Leicester with three games of the season remaining. The Foxes can win the title on Sunday with victory over Manchester United.

Alli has been hugely influential figure for Tottenham in his debut season. The former MK Dons player has scored 10 goals so far and has formed a strong partnership with lead striker Harry Kane.

Having seen what he did I think it's safe to say Alli's club season is over and he'll be well rested for Euro 2016 he clearly had a swing at Jacob.

It's been coming he's got a temper on him but that's a good thing just needs to learn how to control it when the infamous red mist falls on him.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:05 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Dele Alli faces a three-match ban from the Football Association that stands to end his domestic season after he was charged with violent conduct for throwing a punch at West Bromwich Albion’s Claudio Yacob on Monday night.

The Tottenham Hotspur midfielder, who was named as the Professional Footballers’ Association’s young player of the year on Sunday night, had been unhappy at Yacob’s close attentions early on in the Premier League fixture, which finished in a 1-1 draw.

Alli squared up to Yacob in the fifth minute, after being fouled by him, and he had a dig back at him in the 26th minute. Alli glanced at Yacob away from the ball before he hit him in the midriff. There was no reaction from the West Brom midfielder, who played it down after the game. “I don’t remember it,” Yacob said. “It was nothing. What stays on the pitch … ”

The flashpoint went unseen by the referee, Mike Jones, and his assistants and indeed it went unseen by everybody in the stadium. But it was soon spotted from the live television footage and circulated on social media. By half-time, it was clear that it would be an issue.

Alli has claimed Yacob hit him earlier but, even if that were the case, it would not have helped the 19-year-old to avoid a charge.

The FA’s processes focus solely on the indiscretions themselves. It would have issued a separate charge against Yacob were he to have been caught punching Alli. The FA has not found any footage to incriminate Yacob.

Jones’s confirmation to the governing body that he did not see the incident served to open the route to retrospective action and three former referees were asked independently whether they would have shown a red card to Alli for the offence. Each said that they would, which has led to the charge. The decision of the three had to be unanimous.

Alli has until 6pm on Wednesday to accept or contest the charge. If it is proven, he will miss the final three games of Tottenham’s season – against Chelsea, Southampton and Newcastle United. His next involvement could be for England in their warm-up fixtures for Euro 2016. There is sure to be a focus on his temperament before the tournament.

Alli has a short fuse and he has been involved in a couple of scrapes during his breakthrough season at the highest level.

In January the Crystal Palace manager, Alan Pardew, accused him of stamping on Yohan Cabaye and in February Alli was booked for kicking out at Fiorentina’s Nenad Tomovic in a Europa League last-32 match. He could have been sent off.

Mauricio Pochettino was asked before the West Brom match whether he might ask his players to be careful, in light of Jamie Vardy’s sending-off for Leicester City against West Ham. The Tottenham manager said he would not, because “if you do that, you put the idea in their mind and they are inhibited”. Alli has said that his aggressive streak is a key part of game.

Norwich and Sunderland have been fined £30,000 each by the FA over an incident during their Premier League game at Carrow Road on 16 April. Players and coaching staff were involved in a heated touchline clash after Norwich’s Robbie Brady challenged DeAndre Yedlin. The FA also warned the clubs as to the future conduct of their players and officials.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:58 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Dele Alli has expressed regret over the punch he threw at Claudio Yacob and vowed to learn from the mistake after the Football Association handed him a three-match ban for violent conduct, meaning he will not play for Tottenham Hotspur again this season.

The 20-year-old midfielder hit West Bromwich Albion’s Yacob in Monday night’s 1-1 draw at White Hart Lane. The incident was not spotted by the officials but brought a charge from the FA on video evidence. Alli accepted the charge and had his claims that the accompanying three-match ban would be an excessive punishment thrown out.

“Gutted that my season is over,” Alli tweeted. “Shouldn’t have reacted like I did. Will learn from this and come back stronger.”

Alli has been ruled out of Tottenham’s three remaining matches – against Chelsea on Monday and then at home to Southampton and away to Newcastle United. His next action is likely to come with England, who have three friendlies before heading to the European Championship.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:13 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Head coach Mauricio Pochettino has verbally agreed a new five-year contract with Tottenham.

The Argentine has been a huge success since arriving at White Hart Lane in 2014, steering Spurs to fifth in the Premier League and the Capital One Cup final in his first season before masterminding their title challenge this campaign.

That success has led to speculation he could be tempted away from north London, with Manchester United and PSG touted as potential destinations, but after opening talks with chairman Daniel Levy several months ago, he is now ready to sign a deal which would keep him at the club until 2021.
"It was an easy decision when you feel the love of the people and the potential of the club is massive, so why change?" he said on Friday.

"We create a good atmosphere on the training ground and I think we can achieve big things in the future. I believe in this project and this club. I want to stay here.

"We have not signed yet but we have reached the verbal agreement to stay here for the next five years. When will we sign? Maybe tomorrow [Saturday] or on Tuesday, it depends on my lawyer.

"It is a good moment to tell you, for all to know that my future is here. I am very happy. It is for many reasons I stay."

Spurs are due to move into their new 61,000-seater stadium in 2018-19 and Pochettino hailed a bright future for the club.

"Tottenham have unbelievable potential. We created after two years here a great group of players," he added.

"We have a very strong squad, young, with potential to be a top team. The staff and the supporters are unbelievable, there is massive potential, why not stay here?"

Pochettino took over with Spurs in turmoil after the 2013/14 season, which saw them sack Andre Villas-Boas in December 2014 before Tim Sherwood took over in a tumultuous short spell.

After losing to Chelsea in the Capital One Cup final at Wembley, Pochettino initiated a summer clear-out in 2015, with Emmanuel Adebayor, Roberto Soldado, Aaron Lennon and Paulinho all leaving the club.

New signings Toby Alderweireld and Dele Alli have since both proved instrumental in Spurs' superb season and although Monday's draw at West Brom means their title challenge is finally fading, they look set to return to the Champions League in their final season at White Hart Lane before they spend a year away while the ground is redeveloped.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:59 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Tottenham Hotspur are close to a deal with the Football Association to play their home games at Wembley in 2017-18, according to the FA chairman Greg Dyke, while the north London club are also pushing to stage their Champions League ties there next season.

Tottenham will need a temporary home in 2017-18 while the final phase of building work on their new 61,000-capacity ground on the existing White Hart Lane site is completed and they have been in talks for months with the FA over using the national stadium.

Tottenham have long known that they might be able to relocate for the season to stadium:mk in Milton Keynes but they have more recently pursued what would be an upgrade to Wembley.

Dyke said: “We’re in discussions with Tottenham that they should come in for a full season when they’re building their new stadium, and we are a long way down the path on reaching agreement.

“I think there are some discussions about whether they will play Champions League games at Wembley next year but I don’t know much about that. But on the full season [2017-18] – think we’re quite close to a deal.”

Tottenham will play their final season at the 36,000-capacity White Hart Lane next time out and they intend to be in their new £400m home for 2018-19. The FA could raise around £15m from staging a Premier League club’s home fixtures.

“We thought we had a responsibility to English football if we can fit [the clubs] in, and that money we can use to support grassroots football,” Dyke said. “In particular, we want to use it to build all-weather pitches, which is something I’ve been going about for two or three years.”

Chelsea have also expressed an interest in using Wembley while they redevelop Stamford Bridge – there would be no overlap with Tottenham in 2017-18, as things stand.

“Chelsea have really exciting plans for that stadium – to demolish the whole thing and build a new one on the existing site,” Dyke said. “If they came [to Wembley], that would mean coming for three years.”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2433 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122  Next