AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 591 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
 Post subject: Re: Manchester City Thread
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:32 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

26 games this season 18 goals I know that's a little distorted because he banged a load in early in the CL qualifying rounds.

They won't get £80m unless Utd decide they want him or they can sell him to China no one else is going to offer anywhere near that price he's 29 in the summer.

Madrid probably do want a new striker as I think they're looking to move on from Benzema but they might just go with Moratta or even move Ronaldo central and buy a winger.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:24 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
aren't Madrid after the Dortmund guy with the long name?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:39 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Mr Carrot wrote:
aren't Madrid after the Dortmund guy with the long name?

I think it's more that the Dortmund guy with the really long name wants to go to Madrid he's made it clear on numerous occasions that it's his dream to play in Spain so much so that Dortmund have asked him to stop saying it in the press as it's starting to p*ss them off.

It's always hard to tell what Madrid are planning because there isn't really a plan improving on what they have is very hard for them because they have so much world class talent and they've won the CL 2 years out of 3 and will probably win La Liga this season so I don't think they're desperate to make a Galactico signing.

There's also the politics at Madrid would Zidane want Aguero as his striker, does Aguero have a big enough brand for Perez to want him as his number 9, how would Ronaldo feel about it & would the fact that he's basically best mates with Messi be a problem?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:14 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Not to mention he's former Atletico

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:53 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

idontfeardeath wrote:
Not to mention he's former Atletico

Not sure that means much to him he was apparently keen to go to Madrid when he left Atletico but was basically told they wouldn't sell direct to them which is why he ended up at City.

Some reports at the time suggested he saw City as a 2 year thing before going back to Madrid but Madrid didn't come back and he enjoyed being at City

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:04 pm 
Major General
Major General

JSP is spot on he left athletico on sour ground and Madrid had signed Benzema who started very poorly but one he got going Madrid never wanted Aguero.

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:38 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

pakrooney wrote:
JSP is spot on he left athletico on sour ground and Madrid had signed Benzema who started very poorly but one he got going Madrid never wanted Aguero.

Think Benzema had been at Madrid for a few years before Aguero was looking at his move Benzema signed in 2009 IIRC and Aguero didn't go to City until 2011 but it did end badly with Atletico to the point where he stated publically that he didn't want to return to try and force the move.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:19 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Jesus has broken a metetarsal and could be out for the season.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:05 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Pep Guardiola has hinted that Joe Hart’s Manchester City career may be over after stating he is “so happy” with Claudio Bravo and Willy Caballero as goalkeepers.

The manager dropped Hart as the No1 in pre-season and allowed him be loaned to Torino until the end of the season. Guardiola bought Bravo from Barcelona to be Hart’s replacement but Caballero has superseded him after the Chilean recently lost his place.

Hart is due to return to City in the summer although Guardiola, when asked if the England goalkeeper might have a long-term future at the club, said: “I’m so happy with Willy and Claudio. We are going to talk about it [Hart’s future] at the end of the season.”

Caballero has started every match since late January apart from the goalless draw at Huddersfield in the FA Cup fifth round. In the lead‑up to the replay on Wednesday night Guardiola was asked if he might recruit a new goalkeeper in the next transfer window.

“I will decide about that at the end of the season. I trust a lot in both and we’ll decide – not just the goalkeepers, the midfielders, wingers, strikers, full-backs – we are going to decide at the end of the season,” said the Catalan, who admitted he could start next season with only Bravo and Caballero. “Yes.”

Caballero, who was signed by Manuel Pellegrini in 2011 from Málaga, is out of contract in June along with Jesús Navas, Yaya Touré, Gaël Clichy, Pablo Zabaleta and Bacary Sagna. “We’ll make a decision at the end of the season,” Guardiola said. “They [players out of contract] have to try to keep going, to convince me every day. There are five, six players out of contract but they know the situation. Of course there is a risk, maybe they can sign a contract for another club and we have to accept that. But we are going to decide in the last months of the season.”

Guardiola is still to decide which keeper will face David Wagner’s team at the Etihad Stadium. “I have to think about it, not just with our goalkeepers. We were one week out. It is not how tired they are, more a final against one team who impressed a lot when we played there. They are [near the] top of the Championship and sometimes teams top of the Champ are stronger than some of the teams in the Premier League.”

City returned from a four-day trip to Abu Dhabi on Saturday. There Guardiola met Sheikh Mansour, the owner, for the first time. The head coach signed a three-year deal when taking over last summer but the proprietor wants him to stay longer. “He knows and I know that it all depends on the results,” the 45-year-old said. “He would like that I stay here for a long, long, long, long time. But of course it depends on the results. If not, they would say what happened, what can we do. What we need to improve, to improve. That’s the process – to finish the process they are going to help us.

“I had a good relations with almost all my owners in Barcelona and Bayern Munich [former clubs] – it is important to know them. We are here because of the results. If the results are not good we are replaced. We are together, both departments, the chairman and managers, we have the same target, so the people can be proud of us.”

Guardiola has not been given any specific material goals. “We didn’t speak about that,” he said. ‘They will be happy if we win. I know we have to win but I’ve handled that in the past and I will in the present. We spoke about private lives, families, the club. What’s my impression after six months, half a year here. They are able to help us, not just me but the people at the club, the staff. They were so kind.”

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:14 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Manager Pep Guardiola says he would like more English players at Manchester City, but has bemoaned their cost.

England defender John Stones cost City £47.5m when they signed him from Everton in August and he is one of five English players in City's squad.

Guardiola says City are hopeful of instead promoting young English players from the academy.

"I would like to have English players, believe me, but they are so expensive," the Spaniard said.

"I would like to play with English players. When I was in Barcelona I liked to play with locals because they feel something special, but sometimes it is not possible."

The five Englishmen in City's first-team squad are Stones, Raheem Sterling, Fabian Delph, 19-year-old defender Tosin Adarabioyo and reserve goalkeeper Angus Gunn. England goalkeeper Joe Hart is on a season-long loan at Serie A club Torino.

The last City academy player to graduate to being a regular starter in the first team was defender Micah Richards, who left the club in 2015.

But Guardiola is confident of changing that.

"That is why the club has worked for a long period with the academy, thinking about the next years," the 46-year-old said.

"With me or without me - hopefully with me - I would like to enjoy these four or five guys who are growing, and play with them."

Think Micah Richards is from the midlands somewhere I wonder who the last Mancunian was to come through the City academy? The only one that comes to mind was Michael Johnson who looked destined to be a star but lost his way after injuries.

City have a great academy setup now and they are picking up the top local talent because they offer kids who sign a private education until they're 18 regardless of what happens to them which is a huge incentive to parents plus they've got in the top coaches BUT these guys route to the first team is blocked not once but twice. At 16 you get a load of foreign kids join the youth squads so you have to fight against kids who the club might have invested £1m in with a transfer fee then when you get to 18/19 you are fighting first team players who might have cost £30m plus.

City can't really moan about the finances they're part of the problem by spending £50m of Sterling & Stones that means prices have been hiked and we can't go back as everything is measured against those fees going forward once 1 club agrees to the silly price it's game over for everyone.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:33 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Joe Hart has explained that a permanent move to the Premier League is not necessarily “top of my wish list”.

Hart is currently enjoying a season-long loan at Serie A side Torino, with Pep Guardiola having deemed him surplus to requirements at Manchester City.

The England international has impressed in Italy, and it is reported that Liverpool are among the many monitoring his situation ahead of this summer.

Hart acknowledges he will almost certainly have to leave City for first-team football, but is not sure whether he will stay in the Premier League.

“I’m up for a fight – I’ll fight my corner all day – but if you’re not going to win then there is no point in fighting, especially someone as powerful as that at Manchester City,” he told the BBC’s Premier League Show.

“I know it’s nothing personal on me, he’s not that kind of guy.

“He did what he had to do, he did what he felt was right. He didn’t do it to ruin my life, he did it because he thought that was what was right for him to win as a manager.”

With regards to his future, he added: “I’m open. I love the Premier League, I absolutely love Premier League games. Removing myself a footballer, I watch the Premier League. It’s a great league, fantastic football is played in it.

“I know it really well but I wouldn’t say it was top of my wish list. Top of my wish list is to play for a club that wants me to be their goalkeeper.”

I think Hart is a decent but not great keeper he doesn't really suit what City want to do and for the same reason he probably wouldn't suit Liverpool who are surely in the market for a new keeper in the summer.

You can rule out Utd for obvious reasons and Spurs/Chelsea are unlikely to be after a new keeper the one that might fit could be Arsenal. Cech isn't really a long term solution to their needs and if you listen to Arsenal fans he's actually having a pretty poor/average season for them would they see Hart as an upgrade?

Guess his biggest problem with teams in Europe will be his wages as he must be on a good contract at City.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 591 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30