AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: John Terry: Skipper, Leader, Role Model & Loyal Friend
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:36 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
"John Terry is a symbol of this team. He will be captain next season. He said he wants to stay forever and we want to keep him for ever. Now there is a question of Manchester City, but for Terry (there is) no price. Terry will be at Chelsea forever" - Carlo Ancelotti, July 6.

There's been much hand-wringing and indignation at Chelsea this week at the suggestion that Manchester City are trying to chuck oodles of cash in the direction of John Terry, hoping he can be tempted up north.

Leaving aside the hilarity of Chelsea getting annoyed because a club is trying to bully someone with the size of their wallet, one wonders quite why Chelsea are quite so concerned that someone is willing to pay north of £40million for Terry.

Our boffin friends over at Opta were good enough to knock up some stats that showed Chelsea actually have a better record when Terry is out of the side than when he's in, winning 68% sans Terry and 64% with him. Of course stats like that can be misleading and can be interpreted in many different ways (indeed, Chelsea's defence is tighter with him in place, conceding an average of 0.54 goals per game next to 0.86 when he's absent), but it does illustrate a point.

Players like Terry are supposed to be 'big game' performers, but one of Chelsea's big problems last season was their dire record against the other big boys. Of their six league games against the rest of the 'Big Four', they only won once, and that was against Arsenal as both teams' league seasons dribbled to a meaningless conclusion. Terry was present in all six of those games.

He's becoming something of a disciplinary liability too. He was booked ten times and sent off twice last term, and although his dismissal for rugby tackling Jo against City was rather scandalously overturned, he's no good to anyone suspended.

There's also the injury factor. While he still managed 35 league games last season, he has a back complaint that requires extensive attention after every game, something that is only going to get worse with age.

Something else that is only going to decline as time takes its toll is his pace, which is his major weakness anyway. When an already slow man's legs become heavier, he becomes a passenger.

Chelsea's stance may well be very different if it was Real Madrid or another continental side with deep pockets chasing Terry, rather than City.

Their position as the top nouveau riche cash-splashers in the Premier League disappeared last September, and City's ability to solve problems by throwing money at them will no doubt make Chelsea uncomfortable.

If Terry is sold then some will interpret it as a sign of weakness, but Chelsea should not choose pride over what would be a sensible move, both in a financial and footballing sense. They would have to spend big to fill Terry's boots, but he is far from the irreplaceable colossus that some would have you believe.

Chelsea also need to consider Terry's commitment to the cause. A fair bit has been made of his silence since City made their last bid, but the man is on holiday - he can't be expected to respond to satisfy the media. Then again, City's faces have only just recovered to their natural shade after the Kaka debacle in January, so they would be foolish in the extreme to get involved in another big money saga if they didn't think there was some chance of success.

Some reports suggested on Monday that £45million would be the magic figure that would persuade Chelsea to do business, and so they should.

Terry is clearly an excellent player, and perhaps a 'symbol' for Chelsea, but if they are serious about becoming a self-sustaining, viable business as soon as possible, they should not turn down such an excellent price for a man whose ability is only going one way.

Nick Miller

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: John Terry, Loyalty, Citeh & Filthy Lucre
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:39 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Eight Reasons Why Terry Won't Be Leaving Chelsea
Read my lips, John Terry is definitely not leaving Chelsea....

* "Chelsea told me what had happened as a courtesy. I was very happy with their reaction, as mine would have been the same. I have always said that I want to end my career at the club which I love and we all see no reason why that cannot happen" - John Terry, speaking on February 16, 2009 after Chelsea reject a bid for him from Manchester City.

* [Upon being asked if 'there any way you can see yourself leaving?']. "Never. No chance I can firmly sit here and say I never want to leave Chelsea. It's the club for me. When I first came through the crowds sung my name, 'John Terry', and then week-in, week-out 'Terry for England'. That relationship I've had with them...and I'm a very loyal person anyway. There's not many players that do that nowadays - start at one club and finish there. I really, really want to do that - I can't stress it enough" - John Terry, speaking on May 7, 2006.

* "Everything's going in the right direction and touch wood I can't see them going wrong. But if they ever did, I still wouldn't want to leave Chelsea" - John Terry, speaking on May 7, 2006.

* [Upon being asked 'Would you ever play for a club other than Chelsea?'] "No, I love it at Chelsea. I've been here since I was 14, and I'm 28 now. All my friends are here, so I'm going to stay for ever unless Chelsea tell me I've got to go" - John Terry, speaking on January 31, 2009.

* "When I was speaking about my contract with Chelsea, I was talking about a nine-year contract that we spoke about and maybe with an option to manage at the end of it. It's certainly the way I want to go" - John Terry, speaking on April 30, 2007.

* [Upon being asked 'Do you wonder what it would be like at another club?'] "No not really. I never want to leave Chelsea and I've made that quite clear. I had a two-month loan spell at Forest and enjoyed it very much but came back and things have gone very well for me at the club. The supporters have always been great to me. I just feel part of the furniture so it's the place I want to stay for the rest of my career" - John Terry, speaking on February 11, 2007

* "Hopefully I've got another 10 years in me. Certainly for Chelsea" - John Terry, speaking on 19 December, 2008

* "I want to stay at Chelsea for the rest of my career, and at the end of that if an opportunity comes up, then being in football for so long I never want to be out of it" - John Terry, speaking August 28, 2005.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:40 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

John Terry is apparently keen to leave Chelsea as the stellar signings of Yuri Zhirkov, Daniel Sturridge and Ross Turnbull have left him cold. Well, that and the £300,000 a week.

Perhaps he should have a chat with Michael 'glass half full' Ballack, who says cheerily: "We haven't added a lot of new players, so we don't need much time to get into our rhythm."

Next week: Ballack explains how losing your captain/talisman is terribly good for team morale.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:41 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
40M for John Terry is a joke, he is average at best. They shoud bite Citehs arm off.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:17 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Patty(TINH) smells the lure of filthy lucre beneath the angst of the would-be one-club men...

As transfer sagas go, the on-going trials and tribulations of the John Terry-Manchester City debacle represent a bitter pill to swallow for fans of the beautiful game.

In one corner stands John Terry, Chelsea captain and supposed one-club man. A boyhood supporter who has gone on to live the dream of lifting trophies in the shirt he has sworn to retire in on a number of occasions.

In the other stand football’s upstarts, Manchester City. Backed by the billions of oil-rich nation Abu Dhabi, the Citizens are on an unstoppable mission to re-arrange the world order and blow off the mounds of dust collecting in a trophy room that hasn’t had a piece of major silverware in it since the League Cup in 1976.

If you’ve listened to the sound bites from the Terry camp over the years then he is the living incarnation of the terrace chant ‘blue is the colour.’ But, as the rumours of £300,000 a week in wages from City and a bumper counter-offer from his present paymasters swell, should that now be changed to green?

Cast a cynical eye over this whole story, and it’s easy to see that it is an opportune time to boost the bank balance of the England skipper.

No-one can doubt his love for Chelsea, but any agent worth his salt or commission fee will know that there’s money to be made from a wandering heart. A few choice comments (or lack thereof in John Terry’s case) can pile the pressure on a board desperate to save face and placate an increasingly worried group of supporters.

They will know that the damage to the club runs much deeper than an extra £30,000 a week to its wage bill if the talisman is lost.

Replacing the England captain is a more complex task than just finding a player of requisite ability. If acumen alone was enough to bring the Premier League and Champions League to Stamford Bridge, then Porto stopper Bruno Alves would be bought in at the merest hint of a large cheque coming their way from the Middle Eastlands

Terry is the icon, the bombastic leader regularly dragging his team-mates through the mire. He’s the fire extinguisher that keeps the sparks away from the powder keg of a squad, a fact his representatives are surely aware of.

Flash back in time to when the men from the King’s Road ruled the roost in the transfer market and a precedent has already been set with Liverpool’s Steven Gerrard.

Bulldozing down the foundations that held up the recognised pillars of European football, Roman Abramovich’s plentiful supply of Russian roubles claimed Claude Makelele from Real Madrid and Juan Sebastian Veron from then domestic champions Manchester United.

While these giants of the game fell into the lap of the London club, Steven Gerrard eventually stood firm in 2005 after looking to be on his way south having handed in a transfer request.

His reward for saying ‘no’ was a huge pay increase and a place in the hearts of the Merseyside Reds supporters secured for all time as he turned his back on the billionaire’s avaricious advances.

Football’s position as one of the most fickle of sports is undeniable. For every ‘hero’ who took a stand against the money men like Steven Gerrard and John Terry (while receiving a handsome wage increase) is the horrible by-product of the professional age, the player who’ll sever his ties the moment more cash is put on the table by another club.

Another transfer rumour doing the rounds in the press at the moment concerns Barcelona hit-man Samuel Eto’o. Rewarded for his Champions League final goalscoring antics by coach Pep Guardiola with the cold shoulder once again, he has been chastised for having the temerity to turn down a new contract that would merely sustain his already huge income.

For all the distaste caused by the Cameroonian’s reticence to sign a deal that would just maintain his position as an incredibly wealthy person, at least he’s had a clear game plan throughout.

There’s no pulling on the heart strings or muddying of the waters. Its simplicity is more laudable than the ‘will he, won’t he’ actions of John Terry, who if you believe his PR would never have a decision to make no matter how many zeros are added to his pay packet.

That’s why I have more respect for the straightforward nature of the infamous sweaty transfer request in Pascal Chimbonda’s sock in 2006 than the latest back page splash detailing John Terry’s ‘trauma.’

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:51 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Mark Hughes has upped the ante in Manchester City's pursuit of John Terry by making an extraordinary public plea to the Chelsea captain to "reignite" his career at Eastlands.

In a set of remarks carried by every leading daily national, suggesting that they were made in a separate press conference to the one broadcast yesterday by Sky Sports News to mark the arrival of Carlos Tevez, Hughes declared that the defender needed a new challenge. The comments are bound to enrage Chelsea, who insist Terry is not for sale, and may yet rebound on the City manager if they strengthen the London's club resolve not to let the 28-year-old depart.

"We could offer John Terry a different challenge. From my own experience, when you have been with a club a long time, you maybe get to a point when you need a new challenge, when you think a change of scenery would just reignite certain things within you," Hughes said.

Terry has yet to comment on City's interest - a reticence that has encouraged the Welshman.

"It is not a question of money. It is about a different challenge, a different stage in his life and career.

"Maybe that is why there hasn't been a response, because John is seriously thinking in those terms. I went through that process myself as a player and I can understand if that is the way he is thinking."

"We made an offer to Chelsea and, if the opportunity presents itself to bring a player of his calibre to the club, we will do our utmost to bring that about. Obviously, we need conversations with Chelsea in that regard."

As The Independent notes, 'The significance of Hughes making such an utterance cannot be overstated and is clearly designed to put pressure on Terry to ask for a transfer. City have been extremely reluctant to speculate on transfer targets in the past few weeks for fear of the same hubristic consequences which befell them when the Kaka deal fell apart in January, but Hughes, well-briefed on Terry's state of mind, has touched precisely on some of the defender's sentiments.'

However, Terry's future is believed to remain in the balance with Chelsea showing no indication that they are willing to do business. He is expected to be part of the Chelsea squad that departs for America on Thursday and, according to The Times, 'Sources say that, after meeting Roman Abramovich, the Chelsea owner, at the weekend, his main concern is over the club's failure to sign top-class reinforcements to improve a squad that finished a distant third in the Premier League last season.'

The Guardian says that City's next move will be to 'inform Chelsea they are willing to pay in excess of £30m for Terry.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:21 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Resurrection Joe wrote:
"It is not a question of money. It is about a different challenge, a different stage in his life and career.

Course it's not about the money, Sparky!!! :rolleyes:

Quote:
Conscience says:
You did the right thing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:31 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
red_sagem wrote:

Surely you're not suggesting that all the players going to Citeh to "win trophies" are not only, in fact, going for the money?

hat's ludicrous, it's only... divide by 2... carry the one... multiply by the square root... 33 years since they last won a major trophy...

oh... :ohmy:

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:35 pm 
Major
Major

red_sagem wrote:
Resurrection Joe wrote:

The needle on my youreaknobometer is starting to move everytime I hear something coming from Mark Hughes nowadays, a shame is that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:36 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Devil_Spawn wrote:
red_sagem wrote:

Surely you're not suggesting that all the players going to Citeh to "win trophies" are not only, in fact, going for the money?

hat's ludicrous, it's only... divide by 2... carry the one... multiply by the square root... 33 years since they last won a major trophy...

oh... :ohmy:

Oooops! How remiss of me to think such a thing!! :angel:

The scenes are Eastlands are very similar to those at SB when Comrade Abramovich took over! :rolleyes:

Quote:
Conscience says:
You did the right thing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:39 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
red_sagem wrote:
Oooops! How remiss of me to think such a thing!! :angel:

The scenes are Eastlands are very similar to those at SB when Comrade Abramovich took over! :rolleyes:

Indeed!!

Actually, I think things are worse now, the Citeh fans have delusions of grandeur out of nowhere, at least Chelsea had been there or thereabouts already. Citeh reckon they're going from mid-table to champions on the back of signing United's former 3rd choice striker, a crippled Paraguayan, and a man so lazy that Wenger would rather keep Bendtner!!

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:05 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Don't forget the England captain who will spend half the season injured while taking home more money than a week than the people of this forum put together earn a year.

Considering they're now super rich should the council not force them to buy that stadium? It's no longer a case of helping out poor old city is it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:02 pm 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Highscores: 7
Hughes is beginning to p!ss me off. :sulk:

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:08 pm 
Major General
Major General

There is ntohing from terry yet and if rumours are to be believed then he is joining citeh too ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:15 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

pakrooney wrote:
There is ntohing from terry yet and if rumours are to be believed then he is joining citeh too ..

I'd still be very suprised if he went to City as they've not really signed anyone apart from Tevez that Chelsea couldn't of had if they wanted them. Terry would be the player to make Europe take them seriously but I don't think he's as good as he was mainly as his body is paying the price. It's an interesting one and his silence must be very concerning for the Chelsea fans.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:27 pm 
Major General
Major General

I think its all about money as citeh are willing to pay 250K/week to JT who i think is loosing his body fitness.Its really worrying time for chelsea fans who love and idolized him alongwith lampard.He might be interested bcz old same "Citeh are developing a great project" and hey barry also went to citeh.

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am 
Colonel
Colonel

JSP wrote:
pakrooney wrote:

I'd still be very suprised if he went to City as they've not really signed anyone apart from Tevez that Chelsea couldn't of had if they wanted them. Terry would be the player to make Europe take them seriously but I don't think he's as good as he was mainly as his body is paying the price. It's an interesting one and his silence must be very concerning for the Chelsea fans.

I think that's the point though JSP, Chelsea aren't signing the big-guns that Terry wants/wanted them too. If you look at who City have signed it shows a fair amount of ambition for the forthcoming season, whereas for Chelsea it appears to be more a case of almost nobodies. Although Zhirkov is apparently an excellent purchase I doubt even Terry has heard of him.

Finally with Terry's last contract he apparently had a clause of Parity with the highest earner, Chelsea haven't signed any Villa's/Eto'o's/Torres' who would be on stupid scale money and so Terry sees no pay rise. It could finally be all about greed.

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:01 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

the nut's named eric wrote:
I think that's the point though JSP, Chelsea aren't signing the big-guns that Terry wants/wanted them too. If you look at who City have signed it shows a fair amount of ambition for the forthcoming season, whereas for Chelsea it appears to be more a case of almost nobodies. Although Zhirkov is apparently an excellent purchase I doubt even Terry has heard of him.

Finally with Terry's last contract he apparently had a clause of Parity with the highest earner, Chelsea haven't signed any Villa's/Eto'o's/Torres' who would be on stupid scale money and so Terry sees no pay rise. It could finally be all about greed.

I don't think it's through lack of trying though. Chelsea tried to sign Kaka, Pato and Torres (if you believe the rumours). It's just all the top players are heading for Madrid this summer and since clubs have already lost one star player they're not going to sell another. If one of these players became available I still think he'd chose Chelsea over City every time the Tevez one is a bit different because he was settled up in Manchester and didn't want to move back to London.

Zhirkov is a top quality player though and considering Chelsea have played CSKA in the ECL recently and England played Russia twice recently he should know plenty about him. He's not a "marque" signing but he could turn out to be a very good bit of business. I agree the whole Chelsea project has gone a bit stale mostly because they can't ship the dead wood out due to there huge wages nor can they muscle everyone financially anymore.

Well Lamps new deal made him the highest earner on £150k a week so I imagine JT can survive on that I mean he might have to cut back on a few luxuries but i'm sure he'll get by :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:47 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon claims that John Terry has made it clear that he does not want to leave the club.

Kenyon says that Terry is not for sale at any price despite Manchester City apparently offering upwards of £30m for the England captain.

Terry is yet to make his feelings publicly known, but Kenyon claimed that Terry has privately made it clear that he wants to stay at the club.

"He is not available at any price," said Kenyon. "He's got a three-year contract. He's told us he doesn't want to go and we don't want him to go. End of story.

"We think John Terry epitomises everything that Chelsea is about. I don't think this is about looking at the value of John Terry in terms of what someone is prepared to pay for him. As far as we're concerned, he's not for sale.

"I think he is happy with that. This is about John Terry and the club continuing to work together, extending his contract and doing what he wants to do and what we want him to do, which is finish his career here."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:05 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

The Citizens were "treated like kings" upon their visit to Abu Dhabi.

Ostentatious Manchester City owner Sheikh Mansour has gifted each prominent member of his squad a watch worth a whopping £168,000, according to The Sun.

The Citizens were treated to the lavish presents while being "treated like kings" at a plush hotel in the area where all the wealth of the club was initially made - Abu Dhabi.

Summer recruits such as Gareth Barry, Roque Santa Cruz and Carlos Tevez were all in attendance, perhaps being granted an indication of what can be expected in bonuses should this side land a major honour this season.

A club source said, "Manchester City's players are now the most pampered on earth, and they were greeted like kings."

Sheikh Mansour bought the Eastlands outfit for £200 million last summer, but has invested over £120m in player staff, with more cash expected to be tabled.

Emmanuel Adebayor has passed a medical, been granted a work permit, and all that is left is for the player to make the decision to sign permanently for City in a deal that will make his former club Arsenal £25m richer.

ImageImage
Quote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next