AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
 Post subject: Re: His name is Rio
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:49 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Saw a stat doing the rounds yesterday on twitter that in his Utd career he comitted a foul once every 4.5 games.

The man was brilliant he knew what you were going to do about 5 minutes before you were going to do it and at his peak if you did catch him out he was quicker and stronger than you to recover.

As I think Welbeck said the man is a Rolls Royce of a defender and we'll do well to see another one like him.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:54 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
There were rumours a while ago United might take him on in a coaching role.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:05 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I think given his recent family tragedy all his career stuff will be on hold and he'll stay in London to look after his kids he needs to be a full time dad now and coaching takes up a lot of time all we might see him doing is the odd bit of punditry on the TV.

I can't see him coming back up to Manchester on any sort of permanent basis his family is in London and for now he needs to stay there.

Top players don't always make good coaches but I think with what he's been through as a player he'd be a great person to mentor young footballers so if he does his badges and he's good at it he'd be a great coach and maybe one day he'll go in to management.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:19 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Would love to have him back at United in some format, but as JSP said wouldn't be surprised to see him stay down in London near the rest of his family. Probably also comes about 2 seasons too late but people shouldn't let his performances in his last two seasons cloud their memory of just how good he was.

Our best CB of my lifetime (just ahead of Jaap due to the length of time he was with us).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:16 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Serbinator wrote:
Would love to have him back at United in some format, but as JSP said wouldn't be surprised to see him stay down in London near the rest of his family. Probably also comes about 2 seasons too late but people shouldn't let his performances in his last two seasons cloud their memory of just how good he was.

Our best CB of my lifetime (just ahead of Jaap due to the length of time he was with us).

I think he should've left with Fergie as a champion rather than stay for 1 more season.

In terms of a back 5 VDS, Brown, Rio, Vidic, Evra might be the best back 4 and keeper we've ever had they were epic in that 2008 double winning season.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:04 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

He's donated £500,000 worth of toys to Manchester Kids in Need

:thumbup:

I feel in a better society this would be on the front page of every newspaper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:34 am 
Major General
Major General

Good Job Rio .. Its all about good you do will count ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:58 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Ex-footballer Rio Ferdinand says he hasn't yet given himself time to "grieve properly" for his wife Rebecca.

The former player lost his wife and the mother of his three children to breast cancer in 2015 when she was just 34.

He has spoken of his loss in a BBC One documentary, to be shown in the spring, about parents who lose their partners.

"I don't think I've grieved properly. I've not given myself that time to sit down and really flush everything out," the ex-England captain will say.

Ferdinand spent 12 years at Manchester United and won 81 caps for his country.

The couple had been together for several years before he and Rebecca Ellison married in 2009 and had three children together.

She died in May 2015.

'Candid'

Alison Kirkham, the BBC's controller of factual commissioning and events, praised the 38-year-old for participating in a "revealing and immensely personal documentary exploring the complexities of grief".

She said the "candid" hour-long film - called Rio Ferdinand: Being Mum and Dad - would offer audiences "an intimate exploration of the ways in which men similarly bereaved cope with their loss."

At the time, Ferdinand released a statement saying: "Rebecca, my wonderful wife, passed away peacefully after a short battle with cancer at the Royal Marsden Hospital in London.

"She was a fantastic loving mother to our three beautiful children. She will be missed as a wife, sister, aunt, daughter and granddaughter. She will live on in our memory, as a guide and inspiration."

Rio retired a few weeks later, having played his last match for his final club, QPR, in March of that year.

Easy to forget the tragic event the guys been through he never seems to let it bother him publically and maybe that's why he keeps himself so busy post retirement

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20