AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Everton News & Views
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:22 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Highscores: 28
Interesting. I don't know much about the guy apart from his obvious recent success at Leicester. Hopefully his recent success there isn't what everyone is expecting it to be. A fluke.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:45 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

The thing is most of the deals he did spotting talent where when no one paid much attention to Leicester and yes they had some good ones but what about he duds that didn't come off?

Remember when Graham Carr was flavour of the month at Newcastle when they signed Cabaye, Ba, Cisse, Debuchy, Sissoko etc the next wave of guys he signed turned out to the cr*p and everyone forgot about him for a while.

Steve Walsh seems to have built that squad and improved it year on year from the Championship up to the Champions League so it'll be interesting to see what he can pull off at Everton not sure we'll see the benefit of him this summer but you'd expect a proper strategy to be in place for next summer.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:00 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Heading the queue for Axel Witsel, 30m fee agreed with Zenit. Brilliant!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:52 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
MIG I'm a fan of Barkley just feel he goes missing in to many games. The back end of last year was difficult for him as Martinez insisted of playing him deep. I think he was maybe burned out to in the back end of the season. Between August-Christmas he was a different player than the one that turned up after the turn of the year. He needs to start performing week in week out though. This is top flight footbal and he's hitting the age where you'd expect him to start being consistent. I believe he missed a season of football when growing up with a bad injury? So you could say his development is expected to be a year behind his actual age and could explain off the jadedness towards the end of last season.

Stones though I just don't see the hype. I don't see what it going to make him a better player than Phil Jones/Chris Smalling

You've got a lot of big decisions to make this season. Baines is looking a shadow of his former self and I like the look of your young left back. The keeper is a sticking point Robles performed admirable towards the end of last season why it took so long to make the change to him I don't know but I don't see him as a number one.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:07 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

My thing with the young players at Everton is they all got massively over hyped by Martinez constantly bigging them up they are all very talented young players Stones, Barkley, Lukaku & Delofeu but they are inconsistent which is why Everton had these huge ups and downs through a season but that's what you get from young kids.

Everything is there for Barkley to be a fantastic central midfield player but he just needs to improve the decision making when to drive foward, when to shoot, when to beat his man, when to just play safe these things all come with experience. I think he looks at his best when he's played on the left side in a midfield 3 this was basically the role Lampard played for years at Chelsea in his prime and if he keeps developing there's no reason Barkley couldn't be a player who gets you 10-15 goals a season from that position.

I get the impression that Everton with the new money are targetting players from the next level up but they probably aren't those player first choice option which is why they seem to be getting linked with a lot of guys but can't seem to get them over the line. They might be very busy on deadline day.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:11 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

idontfeardeath wrote:
MIG I'm a fan of Barkley just feel he goes missing in to many games. The back end of last year was difficult for him as Martinez insisted of playing him deep. I think he was maybe burned out to in the back end of the season. Between August-Christmas he was a different player than the one that turned up after the turn of the year. He needs to start performing week in week out though. This is top flight footbal and he's hitting the age where you'd expect him to start being consistent. I believe he missed a season of football when growing up with a bad injury? So you could say his development is expected to be a year behind his actual age and could explain off the jadedness towards the end of last season.

Stones though I just don't see the hype. I don't see what it going to make him a better player than Phil Jones/Chris Smalling

You've got a lot of big decisions to make this season. Baines is looking a shadow of his former self and I like the look of your young left back. The keeper is a sticking point Robles performed admirable towards the end of last season why it took so long to make the change to him I don't know but I don't see him as a number one.

Like I said previously I honestly believe this is the year Barkley will come good, properly. If he can learn from last season and move on under Koeman but most importantly believe in himself. He's not great when the fans get on his back and the Everton fans can be a pain in the arse sometimes. Time to deliver.

Totally understand where you're coming from with Stones. I do think potentially he may become a top player but I would be equally unsurprised if he went the way of Jack Rodwell for example. I really do feel like its a 50/50 gamble.

Yep, its a big time for us at the moment. We've brought in a good manager and the staff to work behind the scenes, now its time to address the team.
We definitely need a better goalkeeper. I really hope Stekelenburg was brought in as back up with Robles. Neither are no 1 material imo. Would love a Anthony Lopes, Jasper Cillessen or Jack Butland type signing.

Defence I'm fairly comfortable with. If Stones goes I'd be happy to go with Jagielka and Mori for now but with only the young guys of Galloway, Holgate and Browning as cover (all looking very good though btw) I would want another experienced centre back.
Full backs are still fine for me. Coleman is the best RB in the league on his day and I may be on my own but I still think Baines is class. Slowly going off as he gets older maybe but I'm happy with him for now and we have more than enough young LB's to back him up that look really good.

Next biggest need for us besides a no 1 GK is CDM's. I'm really hoping we can pull off 2 of Gueye, Witsel and Carvalho but its still very difficult to see what calibre of players we can attract.

Up top I have lots of faith in Mirallas, Barkley and Deulofeu behind Lukaku. If anything Lukaku needs a good partner or back up but everything else looks ok to me. We do have some serious young talent coming through.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:20 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

JSP wrote:
My thing with the young players at Everton is they all got massively over hyped by Martinez constantly bigging them up they are all very talented young players Stones, Barkley, Lukaku & Delofeu but they are inconsistent which is why Everton had these huge ups and downs through a season but that's what you get from young kids.

Everything is there for Barkley to be a fantastic central midfield player but he just needs to improve the decision making when to drive foward, when to shoot, when to beat his man, when to just play safe these things all come with experience. I think he looks at his best when he's played on the left side in a midfield 3 this was basically the role Lampard played for years at Chelsea in his prime and if he keeps developing there's no reason Barkley couldn't be a player who gets you 10-15 goals a season from that position.

I get the impression that Everton with the new money are targetting players from the next level up but they probably aren't those player first choice option which is why they seem to be getting linked with a lot of guys but can't seem to get them over the line. They might be very busy on deadline day.

I think the best thing for Barkley to do is act on instincts. Its when he stops to think too much that's when he doesn't look so sharp. He has to believe in his ability and instincts on when to go for the bursts or shots. I think (hope!) Koeman will bring the best out of him. Confidence will play a key factor here.

Yep we are in a very uncertain window at the moment. We need to get one of these bigger named players in and hopefully more will follow. Or maybe Koeman will have to go with what he's got and improve the league finishes before we can move higher up in the transfer targets.

Oh and on the over hyping from Martinez. I can't help but think they were worth the hype he was saying, he just then went on to ruin it all with his naïve tactics and philosophy bullshit.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:36 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Following on the discussion in the Man City thread, I 100% agree with JSP regarding Stones. Moving to City will be terrible for his career. He's got mistakes in his locker (he's young, it's not a criticism, just a fact of life that kids make mistakes), and while at Everton at least he hasn't got the whole World analysing his every move. Go to City for the money they're talking about and every week he'll be analysed on Sky and BBC, pouring over every little thing he does. He showed last year that criticism gets to him, it will be magnified if he moves to City.

Pep's judgement with defenders is notoriously hit and miss. I really think this will prove to be another mistake.

Stones needs to stay where he is, learn from Koeman for a year or two about how to defend, develop as a player and then move on after learning the trade. He'll then be in his prime, contract will have run down (no idea when his contract expires) so he will probably be cheaper than now despite being a much better player, he can use that leverage to ask for bigger wages, plus he should be close to the finished article then. Seems a no brainer. That said, as much as fans dislike it, money is a motivator. If he has £150k on the table from City and he's currently on £40k (again, have no idea what he's on so I'm guessing) that would be difficult for anyone to turn down, knowing their career could be over at any point.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:28 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Meanwhile, Everton are close to completing the signing of the Aston Villa midfielder Idrissa Gueye, despite rival interest, according to the Championship club’s manager, Roberto Di Matteo. He said Everton had instigated Gueye’s £7.1m release clause, which expires at the end of the transfer window.

“It’s public Everton have triggered his clause and he’s going to leave,” Di Matteo said. “There’s no news so far but the expectation is, once personal terms are agreed and a medical [is done], he’s going to go. There are other clubs interested, that’s right, but the only official bid so far has been from Everton.

“There’s not much I can do because he had a clause in his contract and that’s something I inherited, and my hands are tied. We will be losing him. The fact he is leaving is basically down to the clause he has in his contract, otherwise there would be no chance. We’re not a club looking to sell, we don’t have to, we don’t need to.”

Gueye joined Villa from Lille last summer and made 38 appearances, scoring once, as the club were relegated from the top flight last season. He could become Everton’s first major signing of the summer after they appointed the former Leicester City assistant manager Steve Walsh, who helped find Riyad Mahrez and N’Golo Kanté, as director of football. The only arrival has been the goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg from Fulham.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:07 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

10m fee agreed for Ashley Williams. Stones may well be on his way

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:49 am 
Major General
Major General

Would be good signing for everton ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:12 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Think that's a good signing at a good price for Everton given the crazy numbers currently in the market can only assume his contract is nearly up if he's going for that sort of fee.

Wouldn't particularly call it a game changer of a signing for them that will help them get top 4 but it reinforces the defence with a good who's proven at this level.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:39 am 
Major General
Major General

Can i say he is upgrade on Stones ??

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:36 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Currently I'd say as a defender he's no worse than John Stones and probably is an upgrade obviously nowhere near as comfortable on the ball as Stones is but he certainly defends better.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:57 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Ronald Koeman has signed his first outfield player as Everton manager after Idrissa Gueye joined from Aston Villa. Everton triggered the Senegal midfielder’s £7.1m buyout clause last week and the 26-year-old has agreed a four-year deal.

Gueye is Koeman’s second signing since he took over from the sacked Roberto Martínez in mid-June, the goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg having joined from Fulham.

“Idrissa will provide quality in our squad in the midfield and we want to increase the quality in the team,” Koeman said. “He was one of the players last season with the best record in interceptions and pressing in the midfield. We need this kind of quality and I’m happy to have him joining our club.”

Gueye was second only to Leicester’s Premier League-winning midfielder N’Golo Kanté in terms of the number of combined interceptions and tackles made across Europe’s top five leagues. He moved to Villa from Lille last summer and made 38 appearances in all competitions as Villa were relegated from the Premier League.

“I am very happy to be here at Everton and I am very happy and excited to put on the blue shirt to start the new season here,” he said. “Everton is a big team with big players and great fans. The manager told me he is very happy to have me here and that we will have time to talk about football after. I am a defensive midfield player and I like making passes and also getting forward. I have played a season with Aston Villa which was a hard season but I think my style is good for the Premier League.”

Koeman is looking to advance his transfer dealings before the start of the new campaign with the Wales captain, Ashley Williams, understood to be on the verge of a £10m move from Swansea.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:17 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

So on the one hand he's second in impressive stats only to Kante. On the other hand he just got relegated with a very poor Villa team.
I'll keep an open mind on this one and hopefully I can trust the Koeman/Walsh combo early on.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:44 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

MIG wrote:
So on the one hand he's second in impressive stats only to Kante. On the other hand he just got relegated with a very poor Villa team.
I'll keep an open mind on this one and hopefully I can trust the Koeman/Walsh combo early on.

He had a good game against us early in the season but he massively ran out of energy on about 60 minutes but that might have been his debut to be fair there's a lot to be said for just having a guy in midfield who runs hard and wins the ball back especially if you then have more talented guys to give it to.

There was a documentary on about the 66 World Cup winning team the other night and there's a bit where Alf Ramsey takes Nobby Style to one side in the park with his dog he takes the stick off the dog throws it the dog runs and gets it and bring it back to him to throw again and Alf says Nobby that's your job you go and get the ball and give it to Bobby Charlton because he's a better footballer than you.

Swansea have turned down your bid for Ashley Williams wonder if you'll go back with more money very rates these days that clubs make an offers without sounding out the player first.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:44 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

He's certainly the type of player we need. Time will tell if he's the right quality I guess.

Williams was a good deal at £10m. He's a good no nonsense defender like Jagielka. Thing is anything more than another £2-3m on top of that and it starts to look like an expensive deal to me for his age.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:09 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I think money is out the window now MIG if you need a CB and he's the one you want just suck it up and pay what Swansea want even if it's a few million more than you'd planned on spending unless you've got an alternative but if the alternative isn't as good as Williams then why not just pay the extra money. Saw you linked to Fonte from Southampton for a similar sort of fee he'd be a good signing as well but don't see clubs letting these guys go cheap as they're key players for them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:03 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Everton have made an approach for Wolfsburg's Germany winger Julian Draxler, who also interests Arsenal. The 22-year-old has a £63m release clause. (Independent)

The Merseyside club will refuse to budge on their £50m valuation of 22-year-old England defender John Stones, who is a target for Manchester City. (Sky Sports)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63  Next