AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Viru/Malware - how does it all work.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:57 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
Ok, being a complete layman, after downloading the stuff to watch the football, and also watching it via link. I thought my machine would now have viruses and malware. Is this stupid or is this how they get into machines?

I have microsoft security essentials (IT Dept loaded it) running as my main guard. And I downloaded and ran adaware free today, 4 hour scan!!!! can these 2 run together or should I turn one off?

basically, how do you get infected and whats the difference between a virus and malware?

off to watch 2nd half of super cup now.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Viru/Malware - how does it all work.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:20 am 
General
General

Highscores: 2
They can get into your PC a number of ways, eg downloading an infected application or visiting an infected website, but not usually via video streams... and you could do with some better protection if you're worried about getting infected and still using it for say, online purchasing with bank card info potentially at risk.

MS Essentials is OK, but not the best around and it can really slow things down. And, if you are going to regularly watch streams on unknown websites it's much safer to either surf with Firefox and NoScript extension added as sometimes the ads/video codec messages or (rarely) even the site are infected. With NoScript it blocks all this by default, and you can allow scripts individually EG just for the domain you're on so on AGR you'd allow awaygoalsrule.com - similarly with the website with the football on it - and you can leave the others blocked just in case. Footy still works. Internet Explorer allows everything by default.

If you want peace of mind I always recommend the award winning eset's Nod32 AntiVirus because you can download them on purpose (and I have) and still not get infected... you just get a momentary pop up saying 'xxx Virus detected... deleted'. A second later it fades out and you're done and it's mended. 99.9% (just once I had to reboot) of the time there's no rebooting, or complex removal instructions a la Norton. Plus it's small and fast and doesn't slow your PC down at all even while doing a full scan you can still use your computer as normal - unlike with many security apps than really make things slooow. Nod32 hasn't missed known virus or an 'in the wild virus' (ie previously unknown and not catered for in the app database) in over 10 years.

There is a 30-day trial version available for free (antivirus here - full suite here) if you want to give it a go, the procedure would be to download NOD32, come offline (switching router off is often easiest) uninstall the current one, reboot, install NOD, go back online and update it (it's automatic when you go online so you can't forget).

If you're interested it's £39.99 for the all-in-one full suite (antivirus, firewall, antispyware, antispam) or £29.99 for the standalone antivirus, though you save for multi-year licences and renewal that purchasing is cheaper I pay about £20 pa with that for just the AV, just under IIRC over three years. I've used it for about 10 years and not been infected since, unlike with every other one I've tried where there's been at least 1 infection and many with some of them (eg Norton/Symantec and AVG especially). I combine that with a free firewall, Comodo, but if you want it all in one for ease of use it's probably worth the extra tenner so you've only got one thing on there to worry about. I hear eset security software is what they run over at Microsoft internally - not their own product.

Sopcast is clean, so long as you get it from a legit site like the link I posted - so there's no risk there. The only risk I've ever seen via streaming was via the little adverts and messages that said click here to get the right video codec or driver or something else it says you need to make it work. In reality, you've already got everything you need and they're 99.999% of the time a trick so don't click them.. if the video doesn't come on without downloading anything extra move on to another stream.

AdAware is pretty much obsolete these days, what it used to do that was unique has been pretty much built into most antivirus and security software - gone are the days you needed separate virus/malware/adware scanners.

A virus is an infection pure and simple, malware (aka malicious software) is an application that comes with a built-in virus infection.

But like I said, so long as you avoid any adverts and any 'click here to get video thingy to make it work' tricks, then streams can be pretty safe. Some even have a fake play button ad in the middle of the stream video window (see example screen shot below), again, use the one at the bottom underneath the window (just like where it is in windows media player for eg) and you'll be fine.

You'll would normally notice if you had an infection because of unusual behaviour from your PC, eg slowing down, unusual disk activity like constantly whirring, etc.

If you want to do a thorough check of your PC without swapping antivirus apps - you can just surf here -

Click The Link...http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner

...to do an online scan via your browser.

Post subject: Re: Viru/Malware - how does it all work.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:50 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
Thanks Con :thumbup: appreciate it.