Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Gmail
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:52 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Just logged in to my gmail account and was forced to change my password because of strange activity on my account.

Apparently it was accessed from Russia.

I'm guessing I should change all of my account passwords online. Just a bit random really it's an account I use only for signing up to forums and websites and not the main account I use. Also I understand a bot probably would just get lucky with the password but would they be able to link my gmail account with other activities and sites I use on the web?

But with age my hopes have faded

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Gmail
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:18 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
idontfeardeath wrote:
Just logged in to my gmail account and was forced to change my password because of strange activity on my account.

Apparently it was accessed from Russia.

I'm guessing I should change all of my account passwords online. Just a bit random really it's an account I use only for signing up to forums and websites and not the main account I use. Also I understand a bot probably would just get lucky with the password but would they be able to link my gmail account with other activities and sites I use on the web?

That's standard practice if your account has been compromised.

Changing all your passwords would be very wise, especially as access to your email account would allow them to reset any passwords you have that are registered to it via the lost password feature.

It's not necessarily a bot either, criminals pay humans to do this stuff and if the wages are low enough it's cheaper than automated tools can cost.. and they're 100% captcha proof too.

And unfortunately yes, the information is out there to link it all together, as regularly evidenced by companies or government losing our data... most recently Sony, Facebook, Steam etc.

Doesn't help that it's Gmail either. Everything you've ever typed or received will be on record associated with any other accounts you have, your IP address and other personal info... hell they sell it to anyone so it's not hard to come by.

Between them they know more about you that everybody except your mother probably, they know how you'll react given xyz circumstances or situation before you even have the idea... so change those passwords imho.

Post subject: Re: Gmail
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:39 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
I've changed the password for that email account. I'll get around to changing the rest when I get home :thumbup:

But with age my hopes have faded