Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Start up
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:15 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
My PC has gone from being really quick to ultra slow at start up - can take 4 or 5 mins.

It defrages itself and that's ok. I've wiped the start up via msconfig to about 5 things. Can't think what else to do.

My graphics card has this happen sometimes - display driver stopped responding -

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Start up
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:56 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Highscores: 1
If the slow start up and the driver issues appeared at the same time that's probably the problem.

Go to the manufacturers site and download the latest driver. Give it a reboot and see if that improves the situation.It may not resolve until a second reboot though.

Also check the event viewer (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer) and look for any errors in the system logs.

Also did it start doing it after running windows update? If so that's probably screwed things up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:51 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

My laptop starts up pretty quick, but last night when I started it up on my work profile it took forever.

I wonder if it's something to do with my VPN?

ps, yes it was after a windows update, a few months back.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:08 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Drivers are up to date.

I did notice a logmein mirror driver, that I read can cause problems with some things.

I hope that doesn't mean that the IT dept can see that i'm on AGR all day long :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:15 am 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Mr Carrot wrote:
Drivers are up to date.

I did notice a logmein mirror driver, that I read can cause problems with some things.

I hope that doesn't mean that the IT dept can see that i'm on AGR all day long :lol:

They could be. :ninja:

AFAIK about Mirror Drivers.... when your computer draws anything to a visual display, like your monitor, the mirror driver draws a copy of it elsewhere too... so who knows who's watching what. It can also permit remote access to fully control your computer from elsewhere, so my guess is it's part of your work stuff.

That said, if the problems persist, personally I'd still uninstall the mirror driver from Add/Remove in the Control Panel. IF it breaks anything at work, they can always reinstall it and you can claim ignorance / accident or whatever. But if you can get by without, so much the better and no doubt your PC will run a bit faster 'cause it's not having to draw the screen twice.

If there were any error codes that might help you keep it installed and fix any problems, but you'll still be sacrificing speed/usability/security just so work can snoop on you. Not really much of a bargain!

These sort of things are the last thing I'd want on my PC at all and a hell of a security risk. Reminds me of that absolute crap banks try to insist you install to "stay safe", Rapport I think it's called, but that can do more harm to the usability of your 'puter than most security software does, it's just not worth the hassle in the end.