The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: searchnu removal
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:35 pm 
National Hero
National Hero

Ok nerdy types, a colleague has managed to become infected with this pain in the ar5e searchnu, which bsasically hijacks and replaces your search engines/ homepage. I've been trying to get shot of it for him but its a slippery customer. Anone encountered it/ have any tips for getting rid?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: searchnu removal
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:43 am 
General
General

Highscores: 2
People really should learn to always, always do the custom/advanced install when installing something, 'cause that's where the checkboxes are that includes this stuff.... if the boxes get unchecked during install then you don't get all the unwanted extras... which is usually much easier than removing them afterwards.

First thing would be to try to uninstall Searchnu -

Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > look for Windows Searchnu Toolbar > Uninstall

Also look for Searchqu Toolbar and do the same as above if it's there - or anything with a similar name.

Once that's done, make sure you reset the homepage in the browser to one of your choice: Tools > Options > General tab in Firefox, Tools > Internet Options > General tab in IE. Don't forget, it's clicking 'Apply' that changes the homepage once the URL has been entered.

You may also have to reset the default search provider in the browser. More info here on how to do that for both browsers.

And if you still have problems after that lot, just let me know.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:31 am 
National Hero
National Hero

Yes I told him that but he's an idiot and theres no legislating for that :lol: .
I have done all of the above after a system restore , when/ if he gets in today i'll have another look at it but it really is a bugger to get rid of. It doesn't actually show in the uninstall programs list, although after a bit of jiggery pokery the searchqu appeared on there so I think i've got shot of that.

Every time I thought i'd got rid of it yesterday I rebooted and the fecker re-appeared. I think it piggy backs on firefox and once its in there it gets in to all of the browsers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:51 am 
General
General

Sheasy's Bum Hamster wrote:
Yes I told him that but he's an idiot and theres no legislating for that :lol: .
I have done all of the above after a system restore , when/ if he gets in today i'll have another look at it but it really is a bugger to get rid of. It doesn't actually show in the uninstall programs list, although after a bit of jiggery pokery the searchqu appeared on there so I think i've got shot of that.

Every time I thought i'd got rid of it yesterday I rebooted and the fecker re-appeared. I think it piggy backs on firefox and once its in there it gets in to all of the browsers.

How did it go? All fixed?

Tbh, if it continues coming back, turning system restore off completely can often help... nasties can hide in there. You can always turn it back on after you're sure it's fixed.

What do you mean piggybacks on FF? While FF could have been targeted and/or messed with by the malware, it's doubtful it's any kind of weak link in the security chain... that's still IE's job considering MS had to emergency patch it several times during September. :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:56 am 
National Hero
National Hero

He hasn't been back in this office yet, i'll find out today how its running. I mean he didn't have the problem until he downloaded Firefox, according to a lot of places on the web this is where it comes from i.e. not unchecking a box when downloading it - in other words inviting it in :lol:
The guys an absolute nightmare tbh, there's a different problem every week.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:51 am 
General
General

He hasn't been back in this office yet, i'll find out today how its running. I mean he didn't have the problem until he downloaded Firefox, according to a lot of places on the web this is where it comes from i.e. not unchecking a box when downloading it - in other words inviting it in :lol:
The guys an absolute nightmare tbh, there's a different problem every week.

Dunno where he's downloading FF from, but it's not from the official site if it's coming with stuff like searchnu! More likely, the FF install and the timing of the malware attack were coincidental and weren't actually related imo... Searchnu also attacked IE and Chrome, seems it wasn't fussy which browser it hijacked.

Sounds fun your mate at work. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:23 pm 
National Hero
National Hero

Update: He left it in to our IT guys who used a malware program which it still managed to re-appear after, they then manually removed it in each browser then repeated the whole process 2 or 3 times until it eventually seems to be gone. I wish he wouldn't involve me :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:58 am 
General
General

Update: He left it in to our IT guys who used a malware program which it still managed to re-appear after, they then manually removed it in each browser then repeated the whole process 2 or 3 times until it eventually seems to be gone. I wish he wouldn't involve me :lol:

Three times? What application were they using? At least they could fix it, I suppose... I've met IT depts. who can't!

My local council IT guys who dunno what CTRL+ALT+DEL does... I used to get calls from their social workers and teachers who my Mum had passed my number onto. "Where's my work gone?" was the most common ones... you wouldn't believe the crap browser-based word processors they've spent millions on that don't work 'cause it times out like a web page does and if they ain't quick typing it's gone when they click 'next'. :doh: :rolleyes:

Glad it's fixed in any case. :thumbup:

Next time he asks for your help, I say we send him on a spectacular wild goose chase and then I'll write about him on the AGR website. :ninja:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:30 am 
National Hero
National Hero

The "IT guys" in question are an actual computer shop in Belfast he has started using to get all of our IT bits and bobs from. I'm far from convinced but he seems to be obsessed with paying middlemen to do what we could do ourselves, pcs phones broadband you name it. :lol: And FYI I don't know why he keeps coming to me with these issues because I have about as much of a scooby as Mr C. :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:39 am 
General
General

It does seem a bit of a waste of money, might as well Google it yourselves as pay them to Google it for you. :rolleyes:

Heh, maybe you're the closest thing your office has to a geek? :geek: :lol: :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:15 pm 
National Hero
National Hero

Quote:
Mozilla Firefox browser upgrade taken offline due to vulnerability

The Firefox browser is used by millions worldwide

Is Firefox's future under threat?
The latest version of Mozilla's Firefox browser has been taken offline after a security vulnerability was discovered.

Users who had upgraded to version 16 were advised to downgrade to the previous safe release until Firefox developers released a fix.

The vulnerability allowed "a malicious site to potentially determine which websites users have visited", Mozilla said.

The non-profit company said that only a "limited number of users are affected".

The download had been taken offline within a day of its initial release, the organisation's UK spokesman said.

Some users were upgraded automatically to the new version, but are now being advised to uninstall the updates.

Automatically upgraded
In a blog post, Mozilla's director of security assurance Michael Coates said a fix was being worked on and should be expected on Thursday.

"At this time we have no indication that this vulnerability is currently being exploited in the wild," he added.

"Firefox 16 has been temporarily removed from the current installer page and users will automatically be upgraded to the new version as soon as it becomes available.

"As a precaution, users can downgrade to version 15.0.1 by following these instructions. Alternatively, users can wait until our patches are issued and automatically applied to address the vulnerability."

Firefox was one of the three leading web browsers, with more than 450 million users worldwide, Mozilla said.

Microsoft's Internet Explorer and relative newcomer Google Chrome are its key competitors.

In recent months, various figures suggested Chrome had overtaken Firefox's market share, pushing the Mozilla Foundation's flagship product into third place in the browser race.

Click The Link...http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19909106

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:54 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Before I opened this and saw you had posted in here again I thought "ffs SBH stop employing a bunch of 'tards"

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:02 pm 
National Hero
National Hero

:lol: fair point