AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Important: Ooops I have a virus and other popular disasters
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:32 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
There are many qualified people on this forum, who will be happy to help you with general computer technical support. But please familiarise yourself with this thread before starting a new one relating to your specific issue. Often, it'll save you the bother. But mainly us. We're busy :)

The few rules

We here on AwayGoalsRule welcome contributions by techie members, but before any advice is given to others, consider the following:

1. Have you ever had the same problem, and fixed it. On purpose? :D

2. Have you had a similar problem you have fixed? Say if it wasn't exactly the same.

3. Believe it or not, on occasions we've had people with no idea hitting Google and posting quickly found 'solutions' as fact - more often than not, badly getting it wrong in the process.

Don't do this. This will get you in trouble. There's no way we can allow people to wreck other people's computers - however well intentioned it may have been.

4. If you know a little about the issue, tell us what you know, but admit you're not sure. It gives members a guide as to what could work, what probably will work and what is the expert exact fix as specified by people who've mended it many times before. State what level your experience of the specific problem is when commenting.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Important: Ooops I have a virus and other popular disasters
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:04 am 
General
General

What to know about PC security...

Of course Mactar.. erm Mac owners may find this differs on their systems. If they believe the hype, they're indestructible anyway lol. I know about PCs only. And unless specified, any advice on this thread relates to 32bit Windows XP IBM PC-compatible computers (Win32/x86), and please specify if you have Windows XP or Vista 32 or 64bit operating system (OS) (or other) if posting regarding anything related to security - because it can be different on various OS.

Antivirus

The best paid for ones are TrustPort, Avira and Nod32. In that order (last time I checked). Nod32 has the added advantage of being tiny and a low resource user, so is best suited to older or less powerful hardware, but still delivering outstanding protection.

Free options

Avira currently have a free personal use only version, which is my tip for you people not paying for computer security.

Linky

My second choice for free antivirus would be Avast!

Linky

People who resort to AVG are still welcome to post problems, but bear in mind, 90% of the computers I fix with virus issues, are running either AVG (free and pro versions) - lion's share - or Norton/Symantec software. That's not an accident.

Instructions for use

It's VITAL you set up the scanning options correctly. As a selling point, many AV companies advertise average scan time - that's all knackers and you'd be wise not to pay any attention to it. They make it faster by turning off important features sometimes, so you need to be sure you set whichever AV software you have to:

1. Scan all files. Select Deep Scan/Full Scan whatever. Leave NO scan exceptions. This may include popular file types or files over a certain size. If you're reading this, then you have a security problem. Absolutely no point in scanning without the maximum options set. This maybe available via Scan Options, or by creating a Custom Scan.

2. Set it to scan inside archives, eg .zip and .rar.

3. Set it to scan all locations, hard drive(s), memory, removable drives, USB stick if there's one in etc.

4. Generally, every security setting that can be increased should be. It's np to set the scanner to do a quicker scan if everything is ok, but it's of no use when you have an infection.

If a deep scan comes back totally clean, and it's found nothing at all, then move on to the next scanner. If it finds something, even if it cleans them all, scan again with the same one until it finds nothing, as it may find some more that were being masked by the ones it just removed so it's always worth another scan. When 2 or 3 scanners all find nothing, the chances are that it's fixed.

If you've been successful, you should be able to notice an improvement in PC performance and normal behaviour should resume.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:38 am 
General
General

Online Scanners UPDATED 02.03.09

These are useful for two reasons.

Sometimes when your computer is infected with a virus, your own antivirus programme may have been compromised by the problem - so an external scanner / second line of defence can help.

Also, no computer security package is 100% secure - there is a distinct advantage in using more than one tool to assess/fix the situation. While there's overlap, there is also greater protection. If infected, once your installed antivirus shows clear, these are what you should be doing next. Get an opinion from at least 3 programmes that your PC is clean before you stop searching.

Eset (of NOD32 fame) online antivirus scanner - Highly recommended.
Click The Link...http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/

Trend Micro Online Antivirus Scanner - This works on multiple browsers on PC, Mac, Linux and Solaris.
Click The Link...http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

F-Secure Online Scanner -
Click The Link...http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/ols.shtml

Anti Spyware

Ewido online spyware scanner, requires Internet Explorer (or FireFox using the IETab extension) - must install ActiveX control for it to work, safe to do so).

Click The Link...http://www.ewido.net/en/onlinescan/

UPDATED 19.01.11

Panda's ActiveScan online antivirus scanner:

Click The Link...http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/solutions/activescan/

Kapersky have an individual file scanner, if you know or think you know what's infected -

Click The Link...http://www.kaspersky.co.uk/scanforvirus

Their full PC scanning version is MIA for a refurb and will be online at some point in the near future -

Click The Link...http://www.kaspersky.co.uk/virusscanner

And the best option for single files, no larger than 1Mb, you can use VirusTotal. They employ multiple scanning engines from 31 different AV applications, so if you know or think you know you have an infected file, use this -

Click The Link...http://www.virustotal.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:36 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Con, I'm helping out my uncle with some free AV etc... to get him off Norton's books and onto the freeware side fo things. Grabbed Avira and doing a full scan right now. Need to uninstall Norton, can't remember how, and for some reason the file on Vista Start menu doesn't have an uninstall option.

Anyhow, I'll deal with that bug-bear later. What I need is a good anti-spyware and possibly anti-phishing freeware, you know of any?

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:40 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Lavasoft Ad-aware is free isnt it? Was the last time I got it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:02 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Cheers Boro, getting that on there now too.

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.

Post subject: How to Remove Norton/Symantec Software
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:04 pm 
General
General

the nut's named eric wrote:
Con, I'm helping out my uncle with some free AV etc... to get him off Norton's books and onto the freeware side fo things. Grabbed Avira and doing a full scan right now. Need to uninstall Norton, can't remember how, and for some reason the file on Vista Start menu doesn't have an uninstall option.

Anyhow, I'll deal with that bug-bear later. What I need is a good anti-spyware and possibly anti-phishing freeware, you know of any?

Remove it as normal I'd imagine, via Add/Remove in the Control Panel. That'll take out everything but the shared files... for which Norton have a removal tool for, which you can download here.

As for free security software... bit out of the loop tbh. I currently use Nod32 AntiVirus/AntiSpyware (was about £35 for 2 PCs for 2 years IIRC) and the free Comodo firewall and I can't even remember the last time I had any infection, and we're talking years not months.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:07 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Im no expert on it btw..ive just always read that its up there with the best. Spyboy Search and Destroy seems to get touted around too.

Vista comes with that windows defender thing also doesnt it? Thats got to do something I guess. Thought that might be only if he uses IE.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:22 pm 
Major
Major

I rarely use any anti spyware now (S&D about once a month).. instead i have ammended, using notepad, my host file (found in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC) to this
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt
I don't see ads or banners on any webpage now instead I see a 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage' in the space where it was. This cuts downs on all those nasty parasites.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:55 pm 
General
General

Good call that Whit.

Regarding the extra software, I think the functionality that you used to get from a half dozen freeware security apps has since been incorporated in to most AV programmes anyway, leaving them largely redundant.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:21 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Highscores: 3
conscience wrote:
Good call that Whit.

Regarding the extra software, I think the functionality that you used to get from a half dozen freeware security apps has since been incorporated in to most AV programmes anyway, leaving them largely redundant.

Last night was removing a trojan from a mates laptop - had a huge number of apps ready to go, out of all of them (including spybot, adware, 4 different AV's etc) - out of all of them the only thing that would install (because the virus was blocking certain services etc) was Avira as mentioned above - found everything that once upon a time you needed several apps to find though so it's all good

Bloody rundll32.exe viruses - nightmare to remove

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:43 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3

Infections of a worm that spreads through low security networks, memory sticks, and PCs without the latest security updates is "skyrocketing".

The malicious program, known as Conficker, Downadup, or Kido was first discovered in October 2008.

Anti-virus firm F-Secure estimates there are now 8.9m machines infected.

Experts warn this figure could be far higher and say users should have up-to-date anti-virus software and install Microsoft's MS08-067 patch.

In its security blog, F-Secure said that the number of infections based on its calculations was "skyrocketing" and that the situation was "getting worse".
Quote:
Even having the Windows patch won't keep you safe.

Graham Cluley
Sophos

Speaking to the BBC, Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant with anti-virus firm Sophos, said the outbreak was of a scale they had not seen for some time.

"Microsoft did a good job of updating people's home computers, but the virus continues to infect business who have ignored the patch update.

"A shortage of IT staff during the holiday break didn't help and rolling out a patch over a large number of computers isn't easy.

"What's more, if your users are using weak passwords - 12345, QWERTY, etc - then the virus can crack them in short order," he added.

"But as the virus can be spread with USB memory sticks, even having the Windows patch won't keep you safe. You need anti-virus software for that."

Method

According to Microsoft, the worm works by searching for a Windows executable file called "services.exe" and then becomes part of that code.

It then copies itself into the Windows system folder as a random file of a type known as a "dll". It gives itself a 5-8 character name, such as piftoc.dll, and then modifies the Registry, which lists key Windows settings, to run the infected dll file as a service.

Once the worm is up and running, it creates an HTTP server, resets a machine's System Restore point (making it far harder to recover the infected system) and then downloads files from the hacker's web site.

Most malware uses one of a handful of sites to download files from, making them fairly easy to locate, target, and shut down.

But Conficker does things differently.
Quote:
Right now, we're seeing hundreds of thousands of [infected] unique IP addresses

Toni Koivunen, F-Secure

Anti-virus firm F-Secure says that the worm uses a complicated algorithm to generate hundreds of different domain names every day, such as mphtfrxs.net, imctaef.cc, and hcweu.org. Only one of these will actually be the site used to download the hackers' files. On the face of it, tracing this one site is almost impossible.

Variant

Speaking to the BBC, Kaspersky Lab's security analyst, Eddy Willems, said that a new strain of the worm was complicating matters.

"There was a new variant released less than two weeks ago and that's the one causing most of the problems," said Mr Willems

"The replication methods are quite good. It's using multiple mechanisms, including USB sticks, so if someone got an infection from one company and then takes his USB stick to another firm, it could infect that network too. It also downloads lots of content and creating new variants though this mechanism."

"Of course, the real problem is that people haven't patched their software," he added.

Technicians have reverse engineered the worm so they can predict one of the possible domain names. This does not help them pinpoint those who created Downadup, but it does give them the ability to see how many machines are infected.

"Right now, we're seeing hundreds of thousands of unique IP addresses connecting to the domains we've registered," F-Secure's Toni Kovunen said in a statement.

"We can see them, but we can't disinfect them - that would be seen as unauthorised use."

Microsoft says that the malware has infected computers in many different parts of the world, with machines in China, Brazil, Russia, and India having the highest number of victims.

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:30 pm 
General
General

Updated online AV scanners (above). It's worth checking with one of these every so often just in case imo. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:02 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I have a file that refuses to be deleted.

Anything I can do to get rid?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:58 pm 
General
General

You need something called moveonboot, but i'll have to find you a clean version later when my kid goes to bed, as the top ones on google are viruses even though the sites have tested as safe with siteadvisor...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:37 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Okay cheers :D , no rush..its been there for about a week already :p

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:35 pm 
General
General

This should be able to fix it.
Click The Link...http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/
. The download (Unlocker) and instructions both on that link.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:29 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Worked a treat cheers Con.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:00 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Con, do you use avira?

Just wondering if there is somewhere to go on where you can tell it to stop flashing up a certain files. Ones that you know arent virus' but it thinks are. Fallout3 launcher files for example.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:02 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

borocooper wrote:
Con, do you use avira?

Just wondering if there is somewhere to go on where you can tell it to stop flashing up a certain files. Ones that you know arent virus' but it thinks are. Fallout3 launcher files for example.

Nevermind..found somewhere for it. I had to tick expert on the config section.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next