AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: Wolves' Old Gold Thread
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:31 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Rings a bell but couldn't say for sure. They'd have gone down with Bruce too I think but not into league 1...

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:16 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Not saying they should of appointed him I checked back I was pretty anti-Bruce on a few posts but you can't knock what he's done at Hull this season they've been solid at the back and just scraped 1-0 wins. I think they finished 2nd with a GD of +9

Hard to say where Wolves go from here League One can be tough to get out of just ask Leeds and Forest as you're everyone's cup final.

They really can't afford another cr*p appointment

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:04 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
I don't think that sacking Mick was a mistake, but the timing certainly was. Then trying to get a replacement in on a short term deal was a poor move as no established managers would touch that with a barge pole, so they forced themselves into a corner and had to appoint Connors.

Having gone down the Solbakken appointment was bizarre, and didn't work, and then getting Saunders in made no sense either. So the last 3 managerial appointments have been massive mistakes, and you just can't afford to do that.

Be interesting to see who they get in now, they need someone who can put that club back together and get the players playing for him.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:03 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

The mistakes was probably expecting Mick to change his ways he tried to change the way the team played and make them a bit more open but the reality is that he probably didn't know how to play another way. He was a man with a tried and tested method that he trusted it was these changes to the playing style that suddenly made playing Wolves a tricky proposition into something easier.

If they wanted to change the playing style they probably needed to change the manager to suit but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

With the club staring relegation in the face keeping McCarthy would have made some sense as he knows what is needed to get out of that league as you can almost bet he would have reverted back to his usual tactics to get them back up.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:25 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Kenny Jackett and Brentford boss Uwe Rosler are the frontrunners to become the new Wolves head coach.

Jackett, 51, is the favourite to replace Dean Saunders at the recently-relegated club, but BBC Radio 5 live's Pat Murphy understands Rosler also remains in the running.

Jackett resigned as Championship side Millwall's boss early in May.

BBC Radio Stoke reports that Crewe boss Steve Davis, the early favourite for the job, is no longer in the frame.

Although a boyhood Wolves fan, Davis is to remain with the Alex, who he has guided to promotion from League Two and a Johnstone's Paint Trophy victory at Wembley in his 18 months in charge.

Jackett could now be asked to reverse the decline at Molineux following two successive relegations and lead them back to the Championship at the first attempt, having guided Millwall to promotion from League One in 2010.

He began his managerial career with Swansea before moving on to Millwall, but he left his post at The Den after six years in charge, stating that he felt the time was "right for a new challenge".

However, it appears he faces competition for the Wolves job from former Manchester City forward Rosler.

The 44-year-old's Bees side lost in the League One play-off final against Yeovil this season after missing out on automatic promotion on the final day against Doncaster.

Former England manager Steve McClaren is also understood to have been interested in the Wolves job, but it is believed the 52-year-old failed to get an interview with Wolves chairman and owner Steve Morgan as the club prepares for life in the third tier for the first time since 1989.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:03 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Kiss o' death. Couldn't organise a pi**-up in a brewery, that lot. Fans deserve better.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:56 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Wolves have taken former West Bromwich Albion goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak on trial at Molineux, as possible back-up for first-choice Carl Ikeme.

Reserve keeper Aaron McCarey is out until at least January following back surgery, leaving 20-year-old Jon Flatt as the only cover.

Pole Kuszczak, 32, is a free agent following his release by Brighton at the end of last season.

Wolves have also recalled striker Liam McAlinden from his loan at Fleetwood.

Wolves head coach Kenny Jackett played down reports that McAlinden's recall was prompted by an injury scare to Nouha Dicko.

"We're making sure we're as strong as we possibly can be going into a vital group of games against difficult opposition," said Jackett.

"Liam's had a good loan spell, he's got a couple of goals for Fleetwood and he'll increase our options along our front line."

Jackett said Dicko and top scorer Bakary Sako, linked this week with a move to Aston Villa, will be fit for the local derby against Birmingham City in the Championship on Saturday.

Former Albion and Manchester United keeper Kuszczak made 89 starts for Brighton following his move to the Amex Stadium as a free agent in 2012.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:24 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Wolverhampton Wanderers have announced that Walter Zenga will become their new head coach, replacing Kenny Jackett who was sacked late on Friday night.

“We’re delighted to appoint Walter as the new head coach of Wolves,” said Jeff Shi, the Championship club’s new ‘main director’. “He has an excellent track record both as a player and as a coach, and a wealth of experience he can bring to his new role at Wolves. Walter is a hugely passionate personality who lives for football and is fiercely determined to succeed in everything that he does.

“We are looking forward to working with him, and supporting him in the shared aim of trying to help Wolves achieve promotion back to the Premier League.”

The 56-year-old, who has previously managed Steaua Bucharest, Red Star Belgrade and Palermo, takes his first coaching role in England. Zenga’s most recent managerial post was in the United Arab Emirates with Al Shaab but he left by mutual consent in February. The former Italy goalkeeper, capped 58 times by his country, will be in attendance at Wolves’ pre-season friendly on Saturday against Swansea City but will formally take charge of his new side on Monday. As a player, Zenga spent 13 seasons at Internazionale before joining Sampdoria in 1994.

A statement released at 11pm BST on Friday night said that Shi, had made the decision to relieve Jackett of his duties following discussions over the past few days. Shi said: “I would like to sincerely thank Kenny for everything he’s done for Wolves over the last three years. He’s shown true professionalism during his tenure and over the course of the transition to new ownership. I would like to wish him all the very best for the future.”

The takeover of Wanderers by the group fronted by Shi, Fosun International, was completed last week and Jackett’s firing came four days after the club said his position was not under threat.

At a press conference on Monday, Shi said that Jackett would have “an opportunity to bring success” to the club, who finished 14th in the Championship last season. “We share the same opinions. I think the squad is too small but I’m trying to give him all the support I can,” said the new Wolves director, who also said that he and Jackett were in discussions over bolstering the first-team squad.

Helder Costa, the Benfica winger, agreed to join the club on a season-long loan deal on Friday and the Wolves owners Fosun have promised more investment into the squad. The goalkeeper Andy Lonergan is the club’s only permanent signing so far this summer.

“We have said we will invest between £20m and £30m over the next two years,” said Shi. “That is a necessity and if necessary we can put more money in. The most important thing is getting the right players in the right position to help the club. I do not think money is a problem for us.”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12