Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: United Nick Powell
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:31 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
According to reports, Man United have a £4million deal in place to sign Crewe youngster Nick Powell. Both Matt Stanger and his Grandad think it's a good move...

For the past 18 months my Grandad has been badgering me about the brilliance of Nick Powell.

As a lifelong Crewe Alexandra fan, his support spanning more than 80 years (I'm not allowed to reveal his actual age), he's seen plenty of skillful players turn out for the Railwaymen. But none, he says, have ever had as much potential as the 18-year-old forward linked with a £4million move to Manchester United.

I have to admit, the first time Grandad sang Powell's praises, I thought he may have had a few too many pints of mild. Given the quality players Crewe have produced in the past, it was certainly a bold claim.

I trusted that Powell was good, but was he honestly a better prospect than Dean Ashton, scorer of 74 goals for the Alex in his first five seasons as a professional? "Yes," was Grandad's reply. Better than Danny Murphy, who helped the club climb into the second tier of English football for the first time since 1896 before leaving for Liverpool? "Definitely." Even better than David Platt, who Dario Gradi snapped up as a teenager after his release from Man United and averaged more than a goal every three games before going on to win 62 England caps? "Yes. Matt, how long is this going to go on for? I'm playing bingo in half an hour."

It was emphatic approbation indeed, from a man who once refused to put one of my drawings on the fridge because I'd accidentally coloured over the lines.

After watching the youngster curl in his first senior goal in Crewe's 3-1 win against AFC Wimbledon in October, I could see that Grandad hadn't been exaggerating, unlike his stories about being voted Mr.Cheshire for ten years in a row during his twenties. Here was a player built in the Gradi ethic. Always with his head up, Powell had excellent control, the ability to dribble past defenders and bags of determination.

"With kids we talk about can you get hold of the ball and can you do something with it. Can you keep the ball? Can you pass and move?" Gradi told the Guardian when he was presented with the Contribution to League Football Award in 2011. In his latest prodigy, Crewe's academy chief - who managed the club for over 25 years - has helped nurture those vital and evident attributes.

An England under-18 international, Powell clearly has a bright future ahead of him. After scoring 14 goals in 38 league matches for Crewe this season, he became the first player to pick up all five of the club's end of season awards, including Goal of the Season for this fabulous strike against Gillingham. When a player is acknowledged as being both the Young Player and Player of the Year, you know he's pretty special.

One man who apparently agrees is Sir Alex Ferguson. After receiving glowing reports of Powell from United's scouts, the manager made a personal visit to watch the youngster in action in Crewe's last game of the league campaign against Aldershot. Again Powell didn't fail to impress, helping his side recover from going behind to secure a playoff place.

And despite a gruelling first full season in professional football, the forward saved his best for last, scoring a wonder-goal at Wembley as Crewe achieved promotion thanks to a 2-0 victory over Cheltenham. With just 15 minutes on the clock, Powell picked up the ball on the edge of the area, before turning superbly and rifling across the goal into the top corner. If the move to United is completed, it will prove a fitting leaving present.

"You can't do what Barcelona do if your players aren't as good as their players. Although it looks easy, to receive the ball under pressure, it requires a really high level of skill," Gradi once said. "Plus you can't teach the confidence, the mental side of that kind of play."

Grandad might hold back from suggesting Powell is good enough to play for Barcelona, but should Man United part with the proposed £4million for the 18-year-old's signature, they will acquire a precocious talent with the requisite self-assurance described by Gradi.

Indeed, just over two months ago Powell was younger than the legal drinking age. On May 27 he was given the man of the match champagne following a sparkling performance in the League Two playoff final. Finishing the season as the Railwaymen's top scorer, Powell has already spearheaded one successful project of building with youth. It's now time to play a part in a second.

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Nick Powell Would Be A Coup For United
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:31 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

MANCHESTER UNITED are poised to make a £3m bid for Crewe teenager Nick Powell.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has been keeping close tabs on the attacking midfielder all season and is confident of luring him to Old Trafford.

Fergie’s chief scout and brother Martin Ferguson watched Powell (right) score a Wembley wonder goal on Sunday to help fire Crewe to promotion to League One.

And Powell, 18, was the star of the show to boost his chances of a dream move to United. Several other clubs have been monitoring the midfielder, including Chelsea, Newcastle, Everton and Fulham.

But Fergie is set to make the first move and is expected to land Powell within the next week.

Powell, who has scored 16 goals this season, will agree a four-year deal worth around £20,000 a week.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:22 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Manchester United have bid £5million for Crewe's attacking midfielder Nick Powell.

The 18-year-old's marvellous goal on Sunday helped his team overcome Cheltenham 2-0 in the League Two play-off final.

Sir Alex Ferguson has been tracking Powell for several weeks and now the Red Devils are making their move.

Around £2m of the fee is paid up front and the rest will follow, based on the teenager's appearances.

It is possible the youngster will go back to Crewe on loan for a season and he is thought to be anxious to secure he will be playing regular football next season.

Crewe are holding out for £3m up-front for Powell, tipped as the best player to come through Dario Gradi's famous academy.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z1wM4UKUkL

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:08 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

fee agreed

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:48 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

United deal that does seem to be done and dusted is for Crewe midfielder Nick Powell.

The Mirror mentions the deal in passing, but The Daily Mail seem confident that United have agreed a £4million deal for the youngster.

Something like £2million will be paid up front, with the rest based on appearances and whatnot.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:18 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Alex boss Steve Davis believes the England Under-18 international's representative is currently negotiating over a move away from Gresty Road and it is understood United head a group of clubs expressing an interest.

"Nick is still with us, but I am sure talks are still ongoing with his agent and clubs," Davis told Crewe's official website.

"These things take time and rightly so because all parties have to be satisfied with any deal.

"I still envisage him leaving us this summer, but if it doesn't happen then we would welcome him back for pre-season.

"We'll see what happens this week because obviously I would like to know as soon as possible if we are moving forward without him or not."

The move away from Crewe would be final for Powell, with Davis ruling out the prospect of an immediate loan return being part of any transfer deal.

He added: "One thing I can confirm is that he won't be coming back here on loan.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:46 pm 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Highscores: 7
Two footed player who isn't scared to shoot from outside of the box... oh my goodness, I've forgot what having one of them is like.

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:14 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Reedo wrote:
Two footed player who isn't scared to shoot from outside of the box... oh my goodness, I've forgot what having one of them is like.

Uhm didn't you just define Nani?

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:22 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
idontfeardeath wrote:
Reedo wrote:

Shoot on target

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:24 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Top scoring midfielder. :wink:

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:27 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
I was only joking.

I have feeling Nani might be sold, if he doesn't address his wage demands.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:43 pm 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Highscores: 7
idontfeardeath wrote:
Reedo wrote:

"Clueless frustrating idiot who is one of the most over rated players alive."

I did now. :p

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:43 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

12/6/2012: Crewe boss Steve Davis thinks a deal to sell Nick Powell is close. The Sentinel insists United are now the only club in the running for the teenager and quotes the Alex manager as saying: "I think we are practically there now with Nick's transfer. There has been a lot of talk over the last few weeks and I hope it will get resolved quickly from now. I do see Nick moving on and I don't envisage him coming back on loan. I don't think that has been part of the negotiations."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:56 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Manchester United is delighted to announce it has reached agreement with Crewe Alexandra for the transfer of Nick Powell for an undisclosed fee.

The 18-year-old England U18 international has passed a medical and agreed a four-year contract commencing 1 July 2012.

Sir Alex Ferguson is delighted to have recruited the youngster and told ManUtd.com: “We have scouted Nick for months now. He is an exceptional talent and has been schooled well at Crewe.

"I’m delighted he has chosen to come to United. He has a lot to offer and we are all looking forward to working with him."

Powell himself is over the moon to have secured a move to Old Trafford and told us: “It really is a dream come true to be signing for Manchester United. I have had a great time at Crewe and I would like to thank them for helping me to develop as a player over the past 13 years.

"I’m excited about continuing my development with Sir Alex and the world-class players in the squad. The thought of making the step up to the Premier League next season is an exciting prospect. I can’t wait to get started.”

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Re: United Nick Powell
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:08 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Manchester United have completed their second signing of the summer with highly-rated Crewe youngster Nick Powell joining on a four-year deal.

The 18-year-old England Under 18 international is considered one of the nation's hottest prospects and United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has beaten off the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester City for his services.

The deal is believed to be in the region of £4million with £2.75m being paid up front to the newly-promoted League One side.

It is understood that Blackburn are interested in allowing Powell experience in the Championship next season on a short-term deal but Ferguson is likely to reject that offer and put him on a fast-track into his first-team plans.

Ferguson told the club's official website: 'We have scouted Nick for months now. He is an exceptional talent and has been schooled well at Crewe.

'I’m delighted he has chosen to come to United. He has a lot to offer and we are all looking forward to working with him.'

Powell described the move as a 'dream come true' after following Japan international Shinji Kagawa as the club's second summer arrival.

'It really is a dream come true to be signing for Manchester United,' he said.

'I have had a great time at Crewe and I would like to thank them for helping me to develop as a player over the past 13 years.

'I’m excited about continuing my development with Sir Alex and the world-class players in the squad.

'The thought of making the step up to the Premier League next season is an exciting prospect. I can’t wait to get started.'

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:11 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Manchester United will not send promising youngster Nick Powell back to Crewe on loan once the two clubs finalise the deal to take the attacking midfielder to Old Trafford.

Patty(TINH) revealed a £4million deal had been agreed between the two clubs, £2m of which will be paid up front, and that the last few details will be arranged before long.

Powell, an England Under 18 international, has been compared with Steven Gerrard after enjoying a breakthrough season in League Two.

The 18-year-old picked up Crewe's player of the season award after scoring 16 goals in 45 appearances, the last of which was a spectacular strike to open the scoring in May's 2-0 play-off final victory over Cheltenham at Wembley.

And with the deal close to completion, Crewe boss Steve Davis has revealed there will be no allowance for Powell to return on loan next season.

He said: 'One thing I can confirm is that he won't be coming back here on loan. That wouldn't be part of it because we want to bring in a replacement of our own and give our own players, such as (fellow England Under-18 forward) Max Clayton, a chance.'

He added on Crewe's official website: 'Nick is still with us, but I am sure talks are still ongoing with his agent and clubs. These things take time and rightly so because all parties have to be satisfied with any deal.

'I still envisage him leaving us this summer, but if it doesn't happen then we would welcome him back for pre-season.

'We'll see what happens this week because obviously I would like to know as soon as possible if we are moving forward without him or not.'

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:26 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

How about Nick Ka-Powell? No? :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:51 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:01 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I think we might see him in cup games and maybe ECL against weaker teams if we qualify early other than that I don't think we'll see him until Jan at the earliest as he'll take time to bed in.

Seems highly rated soften the blow of losing talented youngsters like Pogba & Morrison over the last 6 months.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:39 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

JSP wrote:
I think we might see him in cup games and maybe ECL against weaker teams if we qualify early other than that I don't think we'll see him until Jan at the earliest as he'll take time to bed in.

Seems highly rated soften the blow of losing talented youngsters like Pogba & Morrison over the last 6 months.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

That would be a good start especially if he gets any time in Europe. He looks to have as good a shot as Pogba did too, with more playing experience (albeit in League 2). So good "replacement" yep.