AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wigan Is A Sh!thole
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:54 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
Wigan boss Roberto Martinez hopes to sign former Wolves midfielder David Jones on a free transfer this week.

Jones played for the Latics in a friendly on Sunday after joining them for pre-season training and the fans were singing his name.

"It's obvious that our fans can spot a good player when they see one," Martinez told Wigan Today.

"We will be working extremely hard to try to persuade him his future lies at Wigan. If we can do that I'm sure he will be a big, big asset for this football club.

"David is a very talented player, technically very gifted, tactically very clever, and has great experience in the Premier League."

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Good luck with the away game chants son....
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:05 am 
AGR Poster Of The Year
AGR Poster Of The Year

Wigan are confident of landing teenage striker Nouha Dicko ahead of the big Premier League kick off on Saturday.

Manager Roberto Martinez invited the 19-year-old for a trial after his club Strasbourg were forced to release all of their players due to financial difficulties.

And Martinez liked what he saw. He told the Wigan Evening Post: "We are hoping that everything will be concluded very, very soon on that one.

"Unfortunately for Strasbourg, because of their financial problems, they've lost control of their players, and all we are waiting for is clarification from the FA that is the case so we can bring in Nouha.

"At 19, he is a really exciting prospect and we're looking forward to working with him. Only time will tell how quickly he develops, and we'll need to be patient with him.

"The first few months will be about him understanding the way we want him to play and the rhythm of the English league. But he is a very intelligent boy, which allows him to take concepts on very quickly, and I hope to see him fulfilling his potential very soon.

"If he can do that, he'll be competing for a first-team place certainly by the end of the season. He has real pace, and a real raw talent - and players like that are difficult to find in this day and age.''

If Dicko does sign for Wigan he will be Martinez's third summer recruit after goalkeeper Ali Al Habsi - who impressed on loan last season - and midfielder David Jones.yv

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:15 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Johann Cuyff's grandson Jessua is set to sign for Wigan.

The defender, who plays on the left, is the son of former Barcelona youth goalkeeper Jesus Angoy, who is married to Dutch legend Cruyff's daughter.

And Wigan have beaten competition from clubs across Europe to land the 17-year-old, who will hope to make a better impression in English football that Cruyff's son Jordi, who endured a miserable spell at Manchester United in the mid 90s.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:17 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Hugo Rodallega faces being frozen out of Wigan’s first-team – because he is refusing to sign a new deal.

The striker was left on the bench for the Premier League opener against Norwich and could remain sidelined unless he commits to the club.

Wigan want the Colombian, 26, to discuss an extension to his contract, which expires at the end of the season.

But £9million-rated Rodallega is stalling and chairman Dave Whelan is reluctant to lose him for nothing.

Liverpool and Tottenham both had senior spies at Wigan’s 1-1 draw with the Canaries on Saturday, but they had wasted journeys.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:50 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

With the transfer deadline just over a week away and both clubs looking to add to their squads, Latics chief Roberto Martinez has admitted he is vulnerable to a bid from another side.

Wigan are hoping to negotiate a new contract with Rodallega – and Martinez believes first-team football, a pay rise and even a get-out clause could tempt the Colombian to sign, according to Patty(TINH).

However, should Spurs or Liverpool make a move, the Spaniard knows he has little chance of holding on to his man.

'He is a very important part of our plans. If he does well enough, it's only fair that we do not stand in his way if the chance of a big move comes along,' Martinez said.

Rodallega has been assured that he will not be prevented from switching to a top club, but only if a large offer for his services is received.

Liverpool have spent heavily over the summer, but most of their investment has been focused on midfield, leaving boss Kenny Dalglish short of back-up options to strikers Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:58 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Wigan trio James McCarthy, Ben Watson and Emmerson Boyce have all signed new contracts to end speculation over their DW Stadium future.

Former Hamilton star McCarthy has committed his future to the north-west outfit for the next five seasons, with fellow midfielder Ben Watson penning a three-year deal.

Defender Boyce, who is closing on the club's record tally of Premier League appearances, has signed for two years.

Latics manager Roberto Martinez said: "In any transfer window, all we often hear about are possible new arrivals and targets coming out of the blue and we can sometimes forget the importance of keeping a really competitive core of players at the club.

"We have been talking to several of our players and we are delighted to announce these first three, with hopefully more to come very soon. Having players commit their long-term futures provides the platform we need to build from.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:44 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

1 - Franco Di Santo has equalled his best ever goals total in a single Premier League season. Ceiling.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:00 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:38 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

'Thieves have left a Premier League club's stars without footballs two days before a match. Wigan's squad ran out onto their training ground on Thursday to find 48 balls has been pinched. Boss Roberto Martinez had to send his players for a jog as staff searched for replacements ahead of Saturday's clash at Everton. The culprits had made off with four bags, each containing 12 Nike balls, which had been left in the middle of the training pitch' - The Daily Mirror

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:07 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Wigan have lost their last seven league games in a shocking run of form to slump to the basement.

Despite the bad results, Whelan insists he will not consider axing Martinez and he has backed the Spaniard to guide them to safety.

"Roberto's position is never, ever in question. We stay together," insisted Whelan. "I respect him, and I know I'm going to get 110 per cent from Roberto every time the team takes the field.

"Things are going against us but we have to keep battling on.

"My spirits are never down. We may be at the foot of the table right now, but we won't be at the end of the season.

"We can get out of this mess together. We're not fools, we can look at the table and we really have to rally round and do what we do best."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:24 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Wigan striker Victor Moses has been called into the Nigeria squad for their upcoming friendlies with Botswana and Zambia.

The Wigan forward was cleared by FIFA to feature for the country of his birth earlier this week after representing England at Under-16, Under-17, Under-19 and Under-21 levels.

The 20-year-old is one of two newcomers to the Super Eagles squad with Lecce striker Edward Ofere also in line for a debut.

The games will be the first Nigeria have played since former Mali coach Stephen Keshi took over from Samson Siasia, who was fired after they failed to secure a place in next year's Africa Cup of Nations.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:32 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Wigan's Antolin Alcaraz is facing a three-match ban after being charged by the Football Association with spitting at an opponent.

TV cameras appeared to catch Alcaraz spitting at Wolves defender Richard Stearman during the Latics 3-1 defeat at Molineux.

The FA said in a statement: "Wigan Athletic's Antolin Alcaraz has been charged by the FA for spitting at an opponent.

"The incident, which was not seen by the match officials but caught on video, relates to his side's game against Wolverhampton Wanderers.

"The player has until 6pm on November 8, 2011 to respond to the charge. If the player admits the charge he may accept an automatic three-match suspension."

It was initially thought Alcaraz had spat at Wolves centre-back Christophe Berra but Stearman confirmed he was the player targeted by the Paraguay defender.

Stearman was reluctant to comment, but admitted: "It wasn't Berra, I'll give you that, but I don't think it's right for me to talk about it at the moment."

When he was asked if he was spat upon, he replied: "Yes, but I'm not going to speak about it. I can confirm it happened and that it was me rather than Berra. I'll let other people talk about it and let other people deal with it.

"I won't push for anything, it's one of those things - but it's not nice."

Wolves boss Mick McCarthy was furious about the incident.

McCarthy said: "Spitting is taboo if that's what happened. I only had it happen to me once and the player didn't come too close to me for a long time after that.

"If it has been shown, that is unacceptable behaviour and anyone here who was spat at would act accordingly. If that has happened, he shouldn't be doing it."

Wigan boss Roberto Martinez said after the game: "I haven't seen it yet (the replays). If that is the case, I'll look into it and I'll find out."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:13 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Vile. An action that's next to racism. He won't care. Too well protected, these tarts, aren't they?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:38 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Was this close to the end of a game after a corner? I missed it the commentators were going mental about something but when I looked up I saw nothing in the incident makes sense now.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:48 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Willie Eckerslike wrote:
Vile. An action that's next to racism. He won't care. Too well protected, these tarts, aren't they?

Or maybe peeing? Racism is a big one! It is vile though - spitting on people though :thumbdown:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:13 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

....the Brits got a thing about spitting, have done for 345 years

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:36 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Resurrection Joe wrote:
....the Brits got a thing about spitting, have done for 345 years

Ah ok. Because although spitting is fighting terms where I come from,so is stepping on clean shoes in a dancehall or telling someone about their mum etc!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:38 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
ManMoreFyahYoo wrote:
...so is stepping on clean shoes in a dancehall

:lol:

Not sure why I find that funny...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:59 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
So you'd react in the same way to someone spitting at you as you would them standing on your shoes?

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:14 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

idontfeardeath wrote:
So you'd react in the same way to someone spitting at you as you would them standing on your shoes?

I'm saying this is a way of life in certain parts of the community back home (Jamaica). Make no bones about it, ppl have died for stepping on someones US$400 Timbaland shoes - fahct! What I was really saying is that thought spitting is undoubtedly despicable, it isn't any more so than pissing and I think racism is a more offensive gesture, though not as physically sickening. Matter of fact I would rather someone spit on me than pee or throw sh*t on me personally, as they are intimated to do at some football games eg in South America this is standard at derbies.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next