AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wigan Is A Sh!thole
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:50 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
Deeply curious words from Victor Moses in his reaction to Chelsea's bid for his services.

"Now that am done with the national team, my attention would switch to the transfer window," he told MTNFootball.com

"I have heard a lot of offers are on the table. First of all Wigan have the final say but for me the highest bidder would take the day but right now I am still a DW faithful."

Still a DW faithful? Faithful to the stadium? Faithful to Dave Whelan? Or faithful to DW Sports, currently offering a range of great deals on sporting equipment including Umbro Fusion Turf trainers, RRP £24.99, available for just £16.99?

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Wigan Is A Sh!thole
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:18 am 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Pappa Wig: Wigan boss Martinez targets Chicago Fire star Marco Pappa as Moses replacement

The Spanish boss has lined up the Guatemalan as he is expecting Victor Moses to leave for Chelsea

On fire: Marco Pappa of MLS side Chicago Fire could be on his way to the Premier League

Wigan boss Roberto Martinez wants Chicago Fire’s Guatemalan star Marco Pappa as Victor Moses’s replacement.

Martinez is set to agree a pre-contract with the MLS ace who could be the first player from his country to come to the Premier League - if he can get a work permit.

Watch him score direct from a corner here:

And check out some more of his goals and skills here:

Pappa, a quick and skillful wide man, can move for nothing at the end of his deal at the end of the year but Latics will try to agree a fee in advance.

There may be a snag getting Pappa into the country because Guatemala are well down the FIFA rankings and the deal would need a special appeal.

Wigan are expecting Moses to go, with Chelsea keen to close a deal but the chase being complicated by two agents trying to do the transfer.

Moses is under contract to Tony Finnigan but a rival company have also offered him to other clubs - with Liverpool among those keeping an eye on developments.

Post subject: Re: Wigan
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:26 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Can't believe Chelsea are (reportedly) sniffing around Moses. He's really not that good at all.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:26 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

As a squad player I guess they see him as a replacement for Kalou who he is sort of a budget version of.

I think he's alright he's quite direct but he's improved a fair bit this season but he's a good young player who I think qualifies as home grown something Chelsea must be pretty touch and go with when it comes to filling out squad lists.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:41 am 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Serbinator wrote:
Can't believe Chelsea are (reportedly) sniffing around Moses. He's really not that good at all.

Like JSP says, they probably need a backup Englishman (again), so it makes perfect sense from that POV 'cause he's not bad as a backup/future player. Terry and Lamps and even Cole are all ageing so once they're gone then Chelsea are going to need a few more Englishmen to comply with home-grown regulations.

Doubt it'll be such a good move for Moses though, far too many Englishman get marginalised at Chelsea, they're just signed, often on frees, just to make up the numbers.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:04 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Roberto Martinez has resigned as manager of Wigan.

The Spaniard led the club to an historic FA Cup triumph this season but could not prevent relegation from the Premier League.

The decision has been announced after 39-year-old Martinez held talks with Wigan chairman Dave Whelan in the past week.

Martinez, who joined Wigan in June 2009, is one of the leading contenders to take over at Everton.

"He wanted permission to move so I've given that," said Whelan.

"He has 12 months left on his contract, so whoever comes in for him must pay the remainder of his contract.

"He feels he's not the man to lead us back into the Premier League. I've got to accept what he feels.

"He loves Wigan and the fans. We have to move on now and want applications for the job."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:11 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Former Bolton Wanderers manager Owen Coyle will be appointed as Wigan Athletic's new boss.

The 46-year-old Scot will succeed Roberto Martinez at the DW Stadium, after the Spaniard joined Everton.

Coyle managed Bolton between 2010 and 2012, before being sacked five months after being relegated from the Premier League.

Wigan were relegated into the Championship last season but May's FA Cup win sees them in the Europa League.

Coyle took over at Bolton in January 2010, six months after guiding Burnley to promotion to the Premier League and subsequently signing a contract extension at Turf Moor.

The Trotters went on to survive a relegation battle while Burnley went down.

In 2010-11 Bolton reached the semi-finals of the FA Cup and finished 14th after spending much of the season in the top half of the table, but in 2012 they were relegated, ending an 11-year spell in the top flight.

Coyle, who has also managed St Johnstone and Falkirk, was sacked in October 2012 with Bolton 18th in the Championship after winning only three of their first 10 matches.

Wigan midfielder James Mcarthur tweeted: "Happy with the new appointment in Owen Coyle, another Scot. Hopefully everyone can get behind him and the team for new season."

Former England manager Steve McClaren had been heavily linked with the vacancy at the DW Stadium but Coyle was chosen by chairman Dave Whelan.

The former Bolton striker made one appearance for the Republic of Ireland and played for a host of teams in Scotland.

Martinez, 39, was given permission to leave Wigan in late May after leading the Latics to a historic FA Cup triumph, although he could not prevent their relegation from the Premier League.

He was then named as David Moyes' successor at Everton on 5 June, with Moyes taking over from Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United after 11 years at Goodison Park.

Under his reign, Wigan finished 16th twice and 15th, before slipping to 18th this season.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:59 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Bursaspor have confirmed that they are in talks with Wigan Athletic over former West Brom goalkeeper Scott Carson.

The 27-year-old has been playing in Turkey for two years, but he is now wanting to head back to England because of family issues.

Wigan are looking for goalkeeping cover after Joel Robles returned to Atletico Madrid and Ali Al Habsi is a doubt to start the season after undergoing shoulder surgery.

Now Carson has emerged as Owen Coyle's top target and Turkish outfit Bursaspor have confirmed to Sky Sports that talks are ongoing, although no deal has yet to be agreed.

"The two clubs are still in negotiations," Bursapor's head of international relations, Gedik Huseyin, confirmed to Sky Sports.

"Scott has done very well since being in Turkey and it will be sad to see him leave.

"But we understand there are issues with his family which means he needs to move home."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:02 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
Be a good signing for Wigan IMO. Al Habsi is one of those who'll pull off an unbelievable reflex save one minute and chuck the ball in his own net the next.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:04 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I would imagine they'll be looking to sell Al Habsi as he was benched towards the end of the season as they had some Spanish lad on loan last season.

Their other young keeper (who's name escapes me) was on loan at Northampton last season and looked a good prospect but if they're looking to bounce back first time it would be a big gamble to put a rookie keeper in and Carson is a pretty safe pair of hands.

Like most keepers makes the odd mistake but all round pretty decent.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:34 pm 
Major General
Major General

Joel Robles I believe was the guy they had on loan, who did an alright job. Al Habsi ended up as a bit of a cup keeper for them, tbh I think the bloke is a liability.

Carson was always a good keeper, one mistake for England really set his career back, but he's been away and rebuilt his confidence in Turkey, so I think he'd do well for Wigan.

Surprised that clubs aren't looking at Schwarzer and Given

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:16 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Wages would be an issue for those two and Given hasn't played for over a year now.

Carson with a decent season could possibly be sold on or if you get promoted he's not going to retire on you.

Assuming Carson hasn't massively dropped off in Turkey I'd say he's currently as good a keeper as either of those two.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:09 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Sunderland have accepted a bid from Championship side Wigan for winger James McClean, Sky Sports sources understand.

The 24-year-old looks surplus to requirements under Paolo Di Canio's regime, having previously starred under Martin O'Neill.

McClean joined Sunderland in 2011, signed by Steve Bruce, but injuries meant he never got to play under him before his departure and instead he was blooded by O'Neill.

The former Derry City man made a stunning impact and was tied down to a new-long term deal in early 2012.

However, after a brilliant debut campaign, things did not work out last season and he appears to not be in the plans of Di Canio, who is ready to let him leave after already bringing in nine new faces this summer.

Wigan have now made their move and have had a bid accepted as Owen Coyle looks to further bolster their promotion push back to the Premier League.

It is understood that at least two more clubs have an interest in McClean.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:12 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Calum "not that sort of player" Mcmanaman at it again..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:13 am 
Major General
Major General

What's he done this time? Another horror tackle?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:46 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Two footed, jumped in. Did like a scissor chop. Lucky the guy managed to get a bit out of the way. Acted like he was hard done by.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:08 am 
Major General
Major General

I'm sure it was an innocent mistake, he's not that sort of player, even Dave Whelan said so

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:34 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Wigan have confirmed the signing of Aston Villa winger Marc Albrighton on a 28-day loan.

The 23-year-old has featured just once for the Premier League club this season and has found his first-team opportunities limited ever since Paul Lambert was appointed manager last summer.

Albrighton shot to prominence during Gerard Houllier's sole season in charge at Villa Park, scoring six times in 33 appearances and was called up to the England Under-21 squad in September 2010.

Latics have moved to bolster their wide options with Scotland international Shaun Maloney facing an extend spell out as he remains troubled by a hip injury.

"Marc has shown what an outstanding player he is time and again in the Premier League, and he is someone I have tried to sign in the past, so I'm delighted to bring him on board to strengthen our squad," boss Owen Coyle told Wigan's official website.

"He's at a young age with the potential and scope to get even better; he's quick, dangerous and pleasing on the eye and I feel he's going to really enhance the attacking options we have at Wigan Athletic, particularly in light of Shaun Maloney's absence."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:59 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Wigan Athletic have sacked manager Owen Coyle after less than six months in charge of the Championship club.

Coyle's 23-game spell in charge of the Latics came to an end following Sunday's 3-1 defeat to Derby County, their third home loss in nine days.

The Scot met with chairman Dave Whelan after the Derby defeat and the pair agreed to part company.

Coyle said: "It is with great sadness that we have made this decision and I would like to thank all my football staff and the staff at the club, who have been very supportive of me in my time here.

"I am confident that with this set of players, the team can keep moving in the right direction."

First-team coach Graham Barrow and assistant manager Sandy Stewart will take charge of the team for Wednesday's trip to Leeds United.

Wigan were unbeaten in their first 10 home games under Coyle but they have suffered successive defeats to Brighton, Zulte Waregem and Derby.

Former Crystal Palace manager Ian Holloway is the early favourite to replace Coyle at the DW Stadium.

Everton boss Roberto Martinez, who guided Wigan to FA Cup glory over Manchester City in May, admitted he still retained an interest in his former club.

"In football you get that sort of situation where if the results don't go right they are going to take big decision," said Martinez.

"All I want is the best for Wigan. I always keep a close eye on them and I hope everything can have the effect that is needed.

"Owen worked really hard to try to achieve promotion and now the change has been confirmed hopefully everything works for the best for the football club."

Boos cascaded down from the stands on Sunday when Derby scored all three of their goals inside the opening 29 minutes and the away fans' cheeky claims Coyle would soon be axed were greeted with applause by certain sections of the Wigan faithful.

That speculative chant has now turned to reality and, despite insisting Coyle was "far and away the best for the job" back in June, chairman Dave Whelan has a managerial vacancy to fill once again as Latics bid to instantly return to the top flight.

Coyle, chosen ahead of Steve McClaren - the man who led Derby to victory at the DW Stadium - was originally tasked with doing just that as he rebuilt following the Roberto Martinez-led exodus which followed their relegation and May's FA Cup final win.

The club's first European campaign, the arrivals of youngsters such as Nick Powell and James McClean, and a 4-0 opening-day thrashing of Barnsley brought plenty of optimism too.

However, the tide soon turned with an 890-minute spell without scoring on the road epitomising the struggles of an attack often found playing in a different style to the one which earned Martinez's sides such wide-spread admiration.

Speaking after what turned out to be his final match in charge, Coyle called for a reality-check from those disgruntled by their start to the season.

"If it comes through expectation then so be it," Coyle said of the discontent.

"The expectation can only come from being in the Premier League because it's not as if Wigan Athletic have been winning games every week for four or five years, far from it. Wigan Athletic have been in the bottom three for the last four, five years and managed a few times to escape and they've done brilliantly to do that.

"They won the (FA) Cup which was brilliant but they lost their place in the Premier League and with them losing their place, the players, the ones of big value, left.

"It's building that team and putting it together. If people want to be ultra-critical that's the nature of football these days.

"I'm old enough to deal with that; if they think there's something better that's all well and good. That's why we love football, it's all opinion."

I don't really understand how you can sack a manager 4 months into a season but the Championship does seem to be pretty cut throat.

Will Keane has just gone there on loan so might need to get him back sharpish if the new guy isn't going to play him.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:11 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Malky Mackay has been appointed the manager of Wigan Athletic.

The former Cardiff City manager has been out of work since being sacked by Vincent Tan a year ago and has found it hard to get back into football following revelations made by his former employer.

A Premier League job at Crystal Palace fell through in August on publication of a series of private text messages in a dossier compiled by Cardiff, some of which were sexist, racist and homophobic.

However the Wigan owner, Dave Whelan, has ignored calls not to employ Mackay and has offered the Scot a route back into the game.

Whelan told the club wesbite: “He is the man to lead us back into the Premier League. He has led a team out of the Championship before and he knows this league inside out having played and managed in it.

“His achievements at Cardiff City were magnificent and we need a strong leader who will command the respect of a very experienced and talented dressing room – and he is the man to do it. I am delighted we have secured the services of someone who has so much to give to the game.”

Wigan are in the Championship’s bottom three just 18 months on from their famous FA Cup win, and sacked Uwe Rösler last Thursday.

Mackay was immediately installed as the favourite to take the reins having been out of the sport since he was dismissed by Cardiff in December 2013.

Last week, news of Mackay’s potential employment prompted the Wigan MP Lisa Nandy to write a letter to Whelan which expressed her concerns over the Scot’s link to the position.

In that open letter, which she subsequently uploaded to her Twitter account, the Labour MP said: “I have been contacted by a number of constituents and Wigan Athletic supporters who have asked me to voice their concern in response to press reports suggesting the potential appointment of Malky Mackay as manager of Wigan Athletic.

“A number of constituents have pointed out that a football manager has a crucial position in the community and is a role model, especially for young people. Having worked with Wigan Athletic and your excellent Community Trust over the last four years, I am certain you share my view that respect for the diversity and tolerance that characterises Wigan is one of the finest features of the club.

“Whoever is appointed will be an ambassador for this town and based on the work your club has done to tackle discrimination over the years, I am confident you would seek to ensure that they share these values.”

Confronting the issue, Whelan said: “I know that this appointment will draw criticism in some quarters but we go into it with our eyes open and we have nothing to hide on this subject.

“Malky made a mistake, he knows that, we know that and we have discussed this issue at length face to face. He apologised publicly for what happened at the time and has paid for what he did in terms of the bad publicity he has received since and will no doubt continue to suffer in the future.

“But I believe that it is now time to move on. Contrary to the way he has been portrayed in recent months, the Malky Mackay I met this week, and who has been vouched for by the many different people from whom we have sought advice before making this appointment, is an honourable man.

“He is a committed family man with decent values and is a professional who has worked and thrived for over 20 years in the multicultural world of modern football. There is nothing more to say about this subject, and as far as I am concerned we draw a line under it from today.”

The FA confirmed in August it was investigating the dossier of messages involving Mackay and Cardiff’s former head of recruitment Iain Moody, but there have yet to be any sanctions brought against either man.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next