Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Reading Room
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:29 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Why would Watford need to find a loop hole then? There isn't a limit to the amount of loans you're allowed from foreign clubs only domestic as far as i'm aware. (To my Football Manager knowledge haha)

But with age my hopes have faded

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:33 pm 
Major General
Major General

I was pretty sure that there was at least a limit on the number of loan players that can be in the match day squad, if not on the number at the club.

I could be wrong.

Watford currently have 11 on loan I believe, of which 7 are from Udinese or Granada (the Spanish club owned by the same family).

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:47 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

So we've condemned Reading then. Relegation for them no hope of staying up. We should give em a call and let them know not to bother on Saturday.

Just had a look at the table. They're 7 behind Villa who are in 17th as are QPR. Looks like it's them two plus one other from

Wigan
Villa
Southampton
Sunderland

I can't see it being Wigan they start playing like title challengers soon.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:48 pm 
Major General
Major General

Villa seem to be finding a little bit of momentum too, so they might just about stay up. Sunderland could be a real dark horse to keep on sliding down the table.

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:14 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Wigan can only pull the rabbit out of the hat so many times though.

It's Sunderland for me they are in free fall have a really hard finish to the season although they tend to perform better vs the big sides and they may have lost Fletcher to injury.

Aren't the loan rules in the prem different to the loan rules in the football league?

I'm pretty sure the rules will be changed this summer anyway to stop Watford doing what they did this season again regardless of what league they're in.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:50 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Really hope Wigan go down and take that pr**k Whelan with them.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:35 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Noel Hunt, Ian Harte, Nicky Shorey, Simon Church and Jay Tabb are leaving Reading after the club confirmed their contracts will not be renewed this summer.

Hunt, Harte, Church and Tabb were in the Reading squad that earned a return to the Premier League in 2012 but they could do nothing to keep them in the top-flight for more than one season.

Wales international Church failed to make an appearance last season and spent time on loan with Huddersfield, while Tabb had a loan spell with Ipswich, with Harte playing 12 times and Hunt 23 in the Premier League.

Left-back Shorey only rejoined the Royals last summer and went on to make 15 appearances, but he is deemed surplus to requirements as well.

"Every one of the players leaving this summer has played in a part in the club's recent success and on behalf of the club I would like to wish them all well for the future," said director of football Nick Hammond.

"Both on and off the pitch they have shown great professionalism, set excellent examples to our young players and contributed massively to the team. Now both they and the club move to the next stage of their futures and the players will be welcome back at Madejski Stadium any time."

Hammond confirmed that talks have taken place with defender Alex Pearce over a new deal, but nothing has yet been agreed and he is hopeful that further discussions will take place soon.

He added: "We have been speaking to him with regards to his contract throughout the season. Unfortunately, up until this point we have not managed to find a deal which is mutually acceptable to both parties.

"I am keen however, now the season has finished, to have a further conversation with Alex and his representatives to understand his thoughts and give him the club's final position."

Six players - goalkeepers Stuart Taylor and Jonathan Henly, midfielder Lawson D'Ath and young defenders Nick Arnold, Shane Griffin and Matt Partridge - are in talks over new contracts at the Madejski

Out-of-contract defender Joseph Mills is leaving for Burnley under the terms of the loan deal that saw him spend last season at Turf Moor.

And youngsters Charlie Losasso, Angus MacDonald, Josh Webb and Brett Williams, who spent loan deals with lower league and non-league clubs last season, have been released.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:40 pm 
Major General
Major General

No great surprise in any of those IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:18 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Reading have signed Manchester City defender Wayne Bridge, who has agreed a one-year deal at the Madejski Stadium.

The former Southampton, Chelsea and England left-back is manager Nigel Adkins' first signing of the summer.

Bridge, 32, joined City in 2009 but spent much of his time out on loan, including last season at Brighton.

"I'm delighted be signing for Reading and excited to be joining a team that is going to be looking for promotion next season," he said.

Bridge, who had been linked with a move to QPR, has 354 league appearances and 36 England caps to his name.

During six successful years at Chelsea, he won all three domestic trophies and also featured in two World Cup squads. He also went to one European Championship tournament with Sven-Goran Eriksson's England.

Bridge signed for Manchester City in January 2009 for £12m and made 57 appearances for the club before loan spells at West Ham, Sunderland and Brighton.

He made 42 starts for Gus Poyet's Brighton last season, achieving a play-off place with the Seagulls as well as the left-back position in the Football League Championship Team of the Year 2012-13.

"Reading look like a team who are capable of getting back into the Premier League, a team that works hard for each other," added Bridge.

"That is something I want to be a part of and I'm really looking forward to next season."

Decent signing by Reading he'll be on decent wages but he's still a Premiership quality full back imo he should do well for them in the Championship.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:20 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Slightly different from when you thought 'arry was gonna sign him.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:25 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

idontfeardeath wrote:
Slightly different from when you thought 'arry was gonna sign him.

I believe Reading have let players go including Shorey and Harte so they actually need a full back and don't have a squad of 50 odd players like 'Arry does.

Post subject: Re: Reading FC
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:01 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Reading have completed the signing of former Real Madrid midfielder Royston Drenthe for an undisclosed fee.

The 26-year-old has joined from Russian side Alania Vladikavkaz on a two-year contract with an option of a third.

Having begun his career at Feyenoord, the Dutchman joined Real in 2007 for £12m and went on to have loan spells at Spanish second division side Hercules and Everton before moving to Russia.

The move is subject to international clearance from the Russian FA.

He had some decent games when on loan at Everton a few seasons back but his career really nose dived when he went to Madrid after a really impressive U21 championship.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:09 pm 
Major General
Major General

I'm surprised Everton didn't make that move permanent TBH as I thought he looked a good player for them. Surprised that he's wound up in the Championship with Reading, would've thought he's have bigger and better offers than that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:14 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I think the fee/wages were quite high which probably explains why he's ended up in Russia.

Reading have a wealthy Russian owner so I imagine they're paying him a pretty penny to join them rather than other teams who maybe play in a stronger league but I wouldn't of thought any of the top European sides would've been looking at him.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:18 pm 
Major General
Major General

Even someone like Cardiff though, he's got Premier League experience, and would add a bit of quality to their side. Lets face it they're not afraid to throw cash around.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:26 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Is he really that good?

I remember a few good games for Everton but I also remember some pretty stinky ones and that was 2 years ago?

I'm not sure the promoted sides are going to just throw money around yes Cardiff have some wealthy owners but they're businessmen I think we've all seen that the QPR approcach isn't necessarily the best one they've spent the money to get themselves up and I think they'll probably try and add some depth to the squad but will stick with the team that came up.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:33 pm 
Major General
Major General

I thought he was a good player, good enough for Everton to have picked him up if his wages were sensible. At the time I thought he was better option on the left than Pienaar.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:05 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Reading have signed Chelsea youngster Nathan Ake on loan.

The 20-year-old, who can play in defence or midfield, has captained the Netherlands up to Under-21s level.

But he has only made four first-team appearances at Chelsea this season despite signing a new five-year contract last term.

Ake's initial loan is for one month but he cannot play in Reading's FA Cup semi-final against Arsenal as he has played in this season's competition.

The Royals are nine points above the Championship relegation zone with eight games remaining.

Reading manager Steve Clarke, a former coach at Chelsea under current boss Jose Mourinho, said: "I'm delighted to add a player of Nathan's quality to our first team squad at this important time of the season.

"He has been a fixture in Chelsea's first team squad this season and we are grateful that Chelsea have allowed him to join us here at Reading to get some competitive minutes on the pitch.

"He is a very talented player who I have been aware of for some time and I look forward to working with Nathan in the coming weeks."

He looks very good whenever I've seen him play at youth level but this move will be a good test for him

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:49 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Reading have appointed the former Manchester United and PSV Eindhoven defender Jaap Stam as the club’s new manager. The 43-year-old has agreed an initial two-year contract at the Madejski Stadium. The Championship club sacked Brian McDermott at the end of the season following a disappointing campaign, in which they finished 17th.

The job will be Stam’s first in charge of a senior team, after spells as assistant and reserve-team manager at Ajax over the last three years. The Dutchman also becomes Reading’s first non-British manager.

“As a player I wanted to win as many trophies as I could and as a manager I have the same ambition,” said Stam. “I am going to do that with Reading and I am very happy to do that with this club. Hopefully we can get to the Premier League with Reading.”

Stam won 67 caps for Holland during a 15-year playing career which finished in his native homeland with Ajax.

Reading’s chief executive Nigel Howe, speaking to the club website, said: “I am delighted to welcome Jaap to Reading. He was the first choice amongst a vast number of applicants interested in the position and we are thrilled that we have managed to secure the signature of a manager with such an abundance of experience.”

Fellow Dutch duo Andries Ulderink and Said Bakkati are set to join Stam at Madejski Stadium as part of his new-look coaching team – having both worked with Stam as coaches at Ajax. First-team coaches Steven Reid and Dave Beasant will both remain in their positions at the club and will form part of Stam’s first-team coaching staff.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:41 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Ghana captain Asamoah Gyan is set to join Reading on a season loan from Chinese side Shanghai SIPG.

The 30-year-old former Sunderland striker is having a medical with the Championship side.

Gyan scored 10 Premier League goals for the Black Cats during a two-year spell from 2010, before moving to Al-Ain in the United Arab Emirates.

He joined Shanghai in 2015 and - at the time - became one of the highest-paid footballers in the world.