AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sheffield (Don't Mention Tevez Or Kenny) United
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:43 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

JSP wrote:
Not really up to date on the Irish keeper situation but with Given likely to be out for a while has he got a chance of getting in?

Well I think it will be him, Kieren Westwood of Coventry and I think it's Lonergan for erm Preston (IIRC) all pretty much vying for the same spot.

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:48 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

the nut's named eric wrote:
JSP wrote:
Not really up to date on the Irish keeper situation but with Given likely to be out for a while has he got a chance of getting in?

Well I think it will be him, Kieren Westwood of Coventry and I think it's Lonergan for erm Preston (IIRC) all pretty much vying for the same spot.

Got a fair chance then guess it depends how long Given is out for but chances are he'll be fit for the start of next season so really they're competing for the number 2 & 3 slots.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:54 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
"I owe the club my career because you don't know what could have happened. Another club might not have gone the same route. But everybody has stood by me and I can't repay them enough" - Paddy Kenny speaks of how Sheffield United helped him after his positive drugs test, April 28.

"It was a difficult decision to leave, but with the year I've had I felt it was the right time to move on" - Paddy Kenny after signing for QPR, June 7.

"We are very disappointed and frustrated by what has happened. Paddy was offered a new, three-year enhanced contract, which he has chosen to reject" - Sheffield United chief executive Trevor Birch, June 8.

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:12 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Sheffield United have confirmed that manager Kevin Blackwell has left the club by mutual consent after the Blades crashed to a 3-0 defeat at home to Queens Park Rangers on Saturday.

Blackwell, who has also managed Leeds United and Luton Town, watched on as his side were three goals down inside 23 minutes, which led to a barrage of abuse from the home supporters.

Calls of ‘Blackwell out’ could be heard throughout the game and it now seems the Sheffield United board have reacted by giving the beleaguered boss the boot.

A statement on the club's website stated "Following the home defeat to QPR, Sheffield United and Kevin Blackwell have jointly agreed to part company with immediate effect.

"Kevin Blackwell has worked tremendously hard over the last two and a half years and his record in terms of results is equal to, if not better than, most previous managers at Bramall Lane.

"He will always have a warm welcome at Sheffield United.

"However, it is time for us to move on because our ambition remains the same in challenging for promotion, hence this decision to look for a new manager to carry on the work Kevin has been doing."

Blackwell took over at The Blades in February 2008 and has narrowly missed out on a return to the Premier League the following season after losing to Burnley in the Championship play-offs.

The season had started reasonably well for Sheffield United after holding out for 1-1 draw away at Cardiff despite only having 10 men for much of the match, but were embarrassed by losing to League One outfit Hartlepool United in the League Cup on Tuesday.

Despite recalling four players for Saturday’s game against QPR, Blackwell saw goals by Hogan Ephraim, Jamie Mackie and Adel Taarabt end his time in charge of the Yorkshire club.

After the game, Blackwell failed to appear for the post match press conference, fuelling speculation he had been sacked and also nodded to reporters when asked if he had indeed been given his marching orders.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:57 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

"He will always have a warm welcome at Sheffield United.

Translates as "We'll torch the useless t*at's car if he turns up here again" :coffee:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:46 pm 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Highscores: 7
Says he was sacked on SSN.

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:26 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Sheffield United have signed free agent Richard Wright on a four-month short-term deal.

Former England shot-stopper Wright, who has been without a club since his release from Ipswich in the summer, will challenge current goalkeeper Steve Simonsen for the number one jersey.

Blades boss Gary Speed was happy to secure the former Arsenal and Everton man's signature.

"We are delighted to be able to bring in someone of Richard's calibre, he's played internationally and has hundreds of first team games behind him," he said to the club's official website.

"Richard bolsters the squad. He not only provides competition for Steve Simonsen but also gives us the oppurtunity to make Mihkel Aksalu available for loan to enable him to get much-needed first team games under his belt."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:57 am 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Blades win chase for Man United's De Laet

Sheffield United have won the race to sign Manchester United’s highly-rated young Belgian international defender Ritchie De Laet.

Blades boss Gary Speed has beaten off competition from Championship and Scottish Premier League clubs to land De Laet on a one-month loan deal.

De Laet,21, will boost Speed’s defensive options as he can play anywhere across the back four, and is in line for a debut in United’s Championship clash at Yorkshire rivals Leeds this afternoon.

Old Trafford boss Sir Alex Ferguson rates De Laet as a future top star, but is keen for him to go out on loan to get valuable first-team experience.

He has made six senior appearances for Fergie’s side since joining from Stoke 20 months ago.

De Laet moved to the Britannia Stadium in a £100,000 switch from Royal Antwerp in 2007.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:42 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Sheffield United have announced losses of £18.7million for the year ending June 30.

Yet the Blades have unveiled plans to restructure some of their external business activities - including selling their stake in Chinese club Chengdu Blades and the nearby Copthorne Hotel - in a bid to avoid financial problems similar to those being endured by rivals Sheffield Wednesday and leave the club debt free by 2013.

Chairman Kevin McCabe said: "Some tough decisions have been taken to totally reshape the group. The time is right to ensure the club is positioned to avoid the type of damage that is currently afflicting, or set to affect, so many other clubs."

The Blades made a profit of £6million the previous year, but that was due almost entirely to the payment received from West Ham over the Carlos Tevez affair.

"I firmly believe the Blades are now in the right position to progress," added McCabe.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:55 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
I hope he's right, and I'm glad they seem aware and willing to taking action to make sure their finances are in order. Be a crime to see yet another club in trouble.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:52 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Sunderland have agreed to extend Andy Reid's loan spell at Sheffield United until the new year.

The 28-year-old midfielder has made four appearances for the Blades since arriving from the Stadium of Light at the end of October.

The Republic of Ireland international has had a big impact on Gary Speed's side after stepping off the bench at Coventry, scoring the winner in the win at Millwall earlier this month and helping the Blades collect seven points from their last three matches.

Reid's loan was due to expire after Saturday's game at Bristol City but he will now be available for the derby clash with local rivals Doncaster on January 3.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:43 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Sheffield United have announced that they will not be hiring a new manager until the New Year.

Gary Speed departed Bramall Lane after just four months at the helm to take the vacant Wales job, with John Carver his temporary replacement.

The club have been linked with a move for Port Vale boss Micky Adams, Doncaster's Sean O'Driscoll and former Blades striker and current Burton manager Paul Peschisolido.

But Carver got his own reign off to a good start with a 1-0 victory over Swansea on Saturday and the club insist they will not rush into any decision.

"As the process of preparing the shortlist of candidates is still ongoing John Carver, currently acting in a caretaker role, will remain in charge of team affairs at least until early in the new year," a club statement read.

"The club regards the decision concerning an appointment to be of such crucial importance that it will not be made in haste and will continue to consider the merits of all potential candidates.

"As a result no further comment will be made until a decision is reached."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:38 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Doncaster manager Sean O'Driscoll has again confirmed that he is not interested in becoming Sheffield United's new manager.

O'Driscoll was the overriding favourite to succeed Gary Speed at Bramall Lane, but revealed last week that he was not in the market to replace the new Wales boss.

Speculation has continued too link him with Doncaster's Yorkshire rivals, though, forcing the 53-year-old to issue another public snub to the Blades.

He said: "Contrary to continuing media speculation linking me with the vacant managerial post at Sheffield United I would like to reiterate that I am not in the frame to fill this position and am concentrating solely on preparing the team for the two games we have against Scunthorpe and Sheffield United this coming weekend."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:45 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Sheffield United have unveiled Micky Adams as their new manager with Alan Cork appointed as his assistant.

Adams, 49, handed a two-and-a-half year deal, declared his first job at Bramall Lane was to steer his hometown club away from a relegation battle.

The lifelong Blades fan, released from the club as a schoolboy, departs Port Vale after 19 months in charge having steered them to second place in npower League Two.

Blades chief executive Trevor Birch confirmed the appointment of Adams was a unanimous decision by the board and also revealed money would be made available to the Yorkshireman for team strengthening.

Caretaker manager John Carver, placed in charge following Gary Speed's decision to become Wales coach earlier this month, and assistant Sam Ellis have left the club.

Birch said: "I'd like to place on record our thanks for the professionalism, commitment and hard work during their time at the club and in particular their sterling work over the last few weeks with the team.

"As you'd expect we received a considerable number of strong applicants for the position, but in the end Micky was the unanimous choice of the board.

"He brings enthusiasm and great experience to the job together with a track record for success in getting the best out of a squad of players.

"We believe he can make an immediate impact this season, but he also shares our long-term strategic views on the development of homegrown talent.

"It's an added bonus that he's also a passionate Blade. Just as we lost Gary Speed to his dream job, we may just have selected a man who has found his."

Adams, who led Fulham to promotion from the bottom division in his first full season as player-boss in 1997 and also steered Leicester to the top flight in 2003, takes charge of his 10th team in 14 years as a manager.

Adams said: "It's been well documented that I am a Blade. Touch wood, everything goes well. If it doesn't go well I'll still be a Blade.

"I'm delighted to be here and obviously disappointed to be leaving Port Vale, but I think I've left them in a healthy position and I can't wait to get started.

"Looking at the league position it looks a difficult job. Let's not kid ourselves, but looking at the squad there's enough quality there.

"They're certainly a group of players who should be doing better and hopefully I'll be the man to steer them in the right direction and get us away from the lower echelons of the league.

"That has to be my short-term aim. We've found ourselves in a very difficult position, but from a squad point of view I come in with no preconceived ideas about anybody."

Adams said he would be assessing the squad "very quickly" and that he would receive the boards' backing if he felt new players were needed.

He added: "Trevor will tell you, my first job is to get in among the players and if I decide we need new players the board will back me to some degree."

Adams went on to enjoy a 19-year playing career as a left-back following his early release as a teenager from the Bramall Lane youth set-up and had spells with Coventry, Leeds, Southampton and Fulham among other clubs.

He was appointed player-manager at Fulham in March 1996, but after leading the Londoners to promotion the following season was sacked by their new owner Mohamed Al-Fayed in 1997. Adams has since been manager at Swansea, Brentford, Brighton (twice), Leicester, Coventry, Colchester and Vale.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:15 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Sheffield United have confirmed the appointment of former manager Dave Bassett to work alongside Micky Adams on a consultancy basis.

Adams has yet to lead United to victory after seven games in charge and has brought in old mate Bassett, 66, who spent seven years in charge at Bramall lane in the late 1980s and 1990s, to help turn things around.

Adams said: "He's back because there's not enough hours in the day for me. I've found the club bigger than I thought and his experience and the way we work together, as we've done before at Leicester and Nottingham Forest, will be valuable to me. "When you're manager at Port Vale you probably get three calls a day and one of those is from the wife asking me what time I'm coming home for my tea, but when you're struggling at the bottom of the table and trying to organise scouting, talking to other managers, worrying about travel. "There's a lot of aspects to management other than putting 11 lads out on a pitch on a Saturday. Harry will come in and work alongside me

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Sheffield United sack manager Micky Adams
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:17 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Highscores: 15
Sheffield United have sacked manager Micky Adams.

The 49-year-old former Port Vale boss and his assistant Alan Cork left the club following a meeting with owner Kevin McCabe on Tuesday.

Adams, a lifelong Blades fan, was appointed on 30 December last year after former boss Gary Speed became manager of Wales.

United won just four of their 24 games under his charge, and their relegation to League One was confirmed last week.

In a statement on the official website, McCabe confirmed Adams and Cork had been relieved of their duties.

"He [Adams] made it clear that he wanted the chance to lead us next season but the fact remains that we have been relegated.

"I feel that in order to give ourselves the best opportunity we should make a clean sweep at the top and start afresh next season."

The statement then quotes Adams as saying: "Obviously I am very, very disappointed with the decision but I still wish Sheffield United all the best.

"I am a Blade and will always be a Blade so I am just sorry that my move here has not worked out."

Meanwhile, Trevor Birch has stepped down as chief executive but will stay on as a short-term consultant.

McCabe said: "His considerable contacts and experience will help us to reshape the football club and focus on our transfer dealings."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Even though I'm a Wednesday fan. I still feel a bit sorry for Micky Adams. It's not his team and they were pretty F****d before he took charge.

Oh well he'll still be a legend in Wednesday folklore as the man who took Utd down!!!!! :laugh:

Post subject: Re: Sheffield United sack manager Micky Adams
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:48 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Former Owl for Blades? Is Danny Wilson the man for Sheffield United?

SHEFFIELD United today begin searching for their fifth manager in less than 12 months after parting company with Micky Adams.

The 49-year-old, who was axed after failing to preserve the South Yorkshire club‘s Championship status, is expected to be offered an immediate return to the game with former employers Port Vale.

Oxford’s Chris Wilder and Russell Slade of Leyton Orient are all likely to be linked with the vacant position if United decide to continue their policy of appointing candidates with links to Bramall Lane.

But Danny Wilson, previously of Barnsley and Sheffield Wednesday, will also come under consideration should plc chairman Kevin McCabe and his fellow directors opt to make a clean break with the past having led Swindon Town to the League One play-off final 12 months ago.

“He (Adams) made it clear he wanted the chance to lead us next season but the fact remains that we have been relegated,” McCabe said.

“There will have to be changes in player personnel in the summer, young players will have to be given their opportunities at the right time and prudent recruitment implemented for what will be a really tough division to get out of.”

McCabe, who returned to the UK from his base in Belgium on Monday to take charge of the rebuilding process, was instrumental in the decision to part company with Adams.

Describing United’s season as “wretched” he acknowledged before yesterday’s announcement that Adams could not be held solely responsible for a miserable sequence of results which saw them finish 23rd in the table.

But, having indicated that United must emphasise the development of home-grown talent as they face the challenges of life in the third tier of English football, it appears Adams failed to convince McCabe of his commitment to such a process.

Assistant manager Alan Cork and chief executive Trevor Birch have also severed their ties with United.

Adams, who replaced caretaker John Carver at the helm in December, spoke of his sorrow in a statement, saying: “Obviously I am very, very disappointed with the decision but I still wish Sheffield United all the best.

“I am a Blade and will always be a Blade so I’m just sorry that my move here has not worked out but I thank the fans for their support.”

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:49 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Just get us out of here: McCabe demands League One expert for Sheffield United

SHEFFIELD United plc chairman Kevin McCabe has outlined the attributes he wants from the club’s next manager.

McCabe, who has invested £70 million of his own fortune into the Bramall Lane club, is seeking someone who has experience at League One level.

He also expects the successful candidate to keep bringing through United’s talented crop of youngsters and place less emphasis on expensive loan players.

McCabe, who has confirmed relegation from the Championship to League One will cost United around £12 million in revenue, wants the team to follow in the footsteps of Southampton and Brighton in the third tier by playing attractive, passing football. He believes the club can get out of the division at the first attempt by playing a different style of football.

“We will be interviewing a range of candidates over the next two weeks,” he said. “We have already had contact from quite a few. We will be judging it on experience and what experience they have got in League One.”

McCabe claims “seven to eight” candidates have already applied for the post by text and email. He has revealed former West Bromwich Albion chief Roberto Di Matteo has expressed an interest in the vacant job and has been in contact via text

McCabe said he will speak to United’s academy director John Pemberton, who is the bookmakers favourite to succeed Micky Adams at the helm, about his future.

Refusing to blame Adams or departing chief executive Trevor Birch for the club’s demise, he added: “Both Trevor and Micky gave it their best shot and are fine people. To take Sheffield United forward, it needs reshaping on and off the field. We have got to get it [the appointment] right.”

In a statement on the League Manager’s Association (LMA) website last night, Adams said: “I am a Blade and will always be a Blade so I am just sorry that my move here has not worked out. I pass on my thanks to the fans and would still like to think that they regard me as one of them. To carry the support of so many of them in pretty dark days was very much appreciated.”

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:27 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

First-round leaderboard

SHEFFIELD United have concluded their first round of interviews regarding the managerial vacancy at Bramall Lane.

The Star understands that Aidy Boothroyd, previously of Watford and Coventry City, was among those to hold talks with representatives from Bramall Lane at a series of top-secret locations earlier this week with a second round of talks believed to be imminent.

Despite reports to the contrary, former Sheffield Wednesday and Barnsley chief Danny Wilson is also believed to remain a serious contender for the post after impressing during previous spells at Hartlepool United and Swindon Town.

United plc chairman Kevin McCabe, who relieved Micky Adams of his duties after the 49-year-old failed to preserve the club’s Championship status, has made no secret of the fact that experience of the lower leagues is a pre-requisite for consideration and his predecessor, Gary Speed, struggled to deliver results through what McCabe described as a “wretched” season and sentiment will play no part in the appointment process.

With an ability to blend members of John Pemberton’s FA Youth Cup Final squad into a revamped first team also essential, Boothroyd must convince he can shed his long-ball image in order the further his claim.

United’s under-18s, who will enjoy a following of over 4,000 when they face their Manchester United in Monday’s second leg at Old Trafford, have won plaudits for their expansive style.

Another 1,000 tickets were yesterday released for away fans after the 2-2 draw in South Yorkshire.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:00 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

:coffee: next.... choose between the devil & the deep blue sea :ring:

ImageImage
Quote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next