Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Rumours Darren Ferguson has gone from peterborough

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Fergie Been Sacked?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:44 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Truely shocking if they've sacked him he's took them up through 2 divisions and considering he's not been given a fortune to spend in the championship it's no suprise they're struggling.

He needed money to bring in championship quality defenders. I follow posh as my family are from that area and i fear that if he goes it could lead to players like McClean, Boyd and Makial-Smith following him out the door.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:09 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Would be a shame if so... but I think he would have several suitors in time bsed on waht he's done with them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:05 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

confirmed now on SSN Ferguson has left Peterborough

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:01 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Jarv wrote:
confirmed now on SSN Ferguson has left Peterborough

One of the rumours going around is that the owner wants to pump cash into the squad in January whereas Fergie Jnr wanted to give his current squad a chance after back to back promotions.

This differing of opinions means he had to go but the club should be forever greatful too him for what he did especially in scouting players from non league football and giving them a chance.

If they are going to bring someone in and give them cash i'd recommend spending it on defenders as they're too soft.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:20 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3

Darren Ferguson's dismissal at Peterborough is expected to confirmed later today after Barry Fry paid tribute to his "miraculous achievements" at London Road.

Ferguson, the 37-year-old son of Manchester United boss Sir Alex, guided Posh to successive promotions after taking over at the club in January 2007.

But Saturday's 3-1 defeat at Coca-Cola Championship leaders Newcastle saw Posh slump to the bottom of the table, with just two wins from 16 games.

After extensive talks in the past two days, director of football Fry told the Peterborough Evening Telegraph: "I and the club would like to thank him for his miraculous achievements with the total support of the chairman (Darragh MacAnthony) in the near three years he has been at the club and we wish him and his family all the best in the future.

"Nothing surprises me in football."

Steve Coppell and Peter Taylor are among the favourites to succeed Ferguson.

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:26 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

For once I come to praise Ferguson, not to bury him.

Peterborough United are bottom of the Championship following their 3-1 defeat at Newcastle. Darren Ferguson, as happens to managers at the foot of the table, has parted company with his employers. But it is a decision only mitigated by the fact that Sir Alex's son is certain to get a further crack, and soon, at being a manager.

The capriciousness of football chairmen knows few bounds. Darragh MacAnthony has invested in the club and would have been hoping for progress. And that is exactly what he has had under Ferguson.

Fergie junior will rise again not because he is his father's son but because he took over a side in League Two and won successive promotions. Last season the club from London Road held off the challenge of an outfit from Elland Road, a remarkable achievement by any standards.

He built his team around signings from the non-League game, such as George Boyd, Craig Mackail-Smith and Aaron Mclean, the latter two resonating among Fleet Street subeditors anxious to spell their names correctly as they cropped up in seemingly every lower-division round-up.

Naturally, other clubs looked enviously at Posh's good fortune in finding such a promising manager, and to fend off Reading, Ferguson was given a new four-year deal in the summer. As a result he should receive a hefty pay-off, but what he should have received is time. Yes, Peterborough are bottom and four points behind Plymouth in 21st, but the position is far from irretrievable. Posh have scored more than the team in 13th, Crystal Palace. This is a famously tight division, with little to choose between teams and no cause for panic.

Football management is often seen as a job that rewards failure, with perennial washouts such as Bryan Robson and Peter Reid, or the late Alan Ball, picking up post after post. I felt an awkward shiver on Sunday seeing Reid on the Stoke coaching staff.

Worse than that merry-go-round is the treatment of young managers, though. Ferguson has done everything that could have been expected of him and more, yet at the first setback is gone.

A month ago the chairman was promising his manager time. As Ferguson contemplates his next move, as well as remembering his father's early struggles he will probably wonder if he would still have a job had Peterborough just missed out on promotion in May, rather than edging out MK Dons and Leeds. Overambitious chairmen deserve underambitious managers.
Philip Cornwall

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:46 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Well I wasn't expecting that. I thought, despite the league position, he was doing well enough for them.

And I wonder how much they'll regret it if the replacement isn't as successful...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:48 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
He's done more than enough to get himself on a few club's wanted lists when they're after a new manager, could go a long way in the game.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:58 pm 
General
General

Devil_Spawn wrote:
He's done more than enough to get himself on a few club's wanted lists when they're after a new manager, could go a long way in the game.

I agree. If John Barnes can get work, Fergie Jr. should get some better offers and soon. He deserves another chance. Where do you think he might end up?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:59 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

conscience wrote:
Devil_Spawn wrote:

I agree. If John Barnes can get work, Fergie Jr. should get some better offers and soon. He deserves another chance. Where do you think he might end up?

Maybe too big a job for him to go for now with no prem experience but the Hull job will be opening soon enough! :D

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:05 pm 
General
General

It will lol. :D Pity he's just missed out on the Boro job maybe.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:48 pm 
Major General
Major General

There'll be plenty of jobs coming up in the coming weeks. The problem he'll have is avoiding the clubs where the manager's job is a bit of a poison chalice like QPR, Newcastle, etc. He needs to find a good club with plenty of stability, then bring them up.

I think the Hull job will be an uphill struggle for anyone, they've not got any great quality in the side, and the confidence is rock bottom.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:05 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Devil_Spawn wrote:

I'd like to point you at Paul Ince who up until he took the blackburn job had matched Fergie Jnr punch for punch on similar budgets.

Give a half decent manager a lot of money in the lower leagues and they'll quickly shoot up it's not rocket science. You simply pay big wages to players who should play above your level.

He's hit a barrier and taken the club as far as they can currently go they don't sell out in that league and there team while playing some of the best football in that league are so soft that teams just batter through them.

I feel sorry for Darren though as he's a good up and coming manager but I think he needs to pick his next move wisely and imo avoid the temptation of going to the premiership.

On a side note i'd love to see Coppell take over at Posh he'd be a fantastic appointment for them and if this money is available in January he could hopefully attract the kind of players they'll need to stay in that league.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:26 pm 
General
General

Good point. I also thought he should avoid the Prem and go somewhere with a bit less pressure for now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:31 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

conscience wrote:
Good point. I also thought he should avoid the Prem and go somewhere with a bit less pressure for now.

It's a tough one and only a brave manager who truely has what it takes would turn it down as you might only get one shot especially as an English manager. Say his next club suddenly end up in administration or the owners decides no more money as he just wants to stay in the championship. A premiership club isn't going to look at a manager just keeping a side in the championship.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:51 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

JSP wrote:
conscience wrote:

It's a tough one and only a brave manager who truely has what it takes would turn it down as you might only get one shot especially as an English manager. Say his next club suddenly end up in administration or the owners decides no more money as he just wants to stay in the championship. A premiership club isn't going to look at a manager just keeping a side in the championship.

Why not? Ince got a job because he won the FA Trophy and League Two, and we all know how racist all Chairmen are.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:47 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Kie99 wrote:
Why not? Ince got a job because he won the FA Trophy and League Two, and we all know how racist all Chairmen are.

:busted: :siren: :busted: :siren: :busted: :siren:

The views expressed in this post are those of an individual expert in generalisations, half truths and unsubstantiated statements and do not reflect the opinions or views of the owners and staff of awaygoalrules.com
:no:

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:47 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Resurrection Joe wrote:
Kie99 wrote:

The views expressed in this post are those of an individual expert in generalisations, half truths and unsubstantiated statements and do not reflect the opinions or views of the owners and staff of awaygoalrules.com

I was being sarcastic.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:44 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Kie99 wrote:
Resurrection Joe wrote:
Kie99 wrote:

I was being sarcastic.

i was being sardonic & satirical.

ImageImage
Quote: