AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Not The Bluebirds The Red Dragons
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:29 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Cardiff City chief executive Simon Lim has criticised the transfer policies of former manager Malky Mackay and Iain Moody, the ex-head of recruitment, over their signing of Andreas Cornelius.

The club have claimed that 'careless management' has cost them in excess of £8.5million over the Danish striker who has returned to FC Copenhagen after just seven months in Wales.

Cornelius failed to score in his stint at the club and now bosses have singled out the transfer in a statement released on Thursday.

"The key shareholders have made their dissatisfaction of such a huge loss known to the board of directors which they believe is due to imprudent and careless management undertaken by the previous football management," Lim said.

But the chief executive praised new manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's work in the January transfer window.

"Our shareholders have expressed their support and pleasure to the new management team," Lim said.

"Tan Sri Vincent Tan, through the board of directors and with their support, is 'encouraged by the work done by manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in the January transfer window.

"Solskjaer was instrumental in attracting top professionals who have the experience and the willpower to make an immediate impact in the club's desire to maintain its Premier League status."

The chief executive also confirmed that Cardiff had spent £6million on six permanent January recruits, the loan deal for Wilfried Zaha and gained £3million from player sales.

"This is good business for the club, where all participants were fully informed and an integral part of a process," Lim said.

"There has been a lot of press speculation on the loss incurred by the club due to sales. This unfortunately is true.

"We took the hard decision to incur these losses for the good of the club.

"To commit the club to a significant cost and liability over a five year contract for one player is not prudent, especially as he was not to contribute to our success now, but was for the future."

Sounds like we sold them Fabio for about £1m then if they've only spent £6m in total.

Ole needs to put some points on the board quickly as they could easily get cut adrift at the bottom as their form has been pretty horrible although they've had some tough games and the beating they got off Swansea wont have done him any favours with the fans.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:50 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The Premier League has asked Cardiff City for their observations after owner Vincent Tan offered players a cash bonus to avoid relegation.

The Malaysian withdrew his offer of £3.7m to the squad when it was made clear it was in breach of league rules.

The bonus promise was made before Sunday's 1-0 defeat by Tottenham at White Hart Lane.

That result left the Bluebirds in 19th place - three points behind 17th-placed West Brom having played a game more.

Quote:
Premier League rules re: players' remuneration

•T.12. Full details of a player's remuneration including all benefits to which he is entitled whether in cash or in kind shall be set out in his contract.
•T.13. The terms of a contract between a club and a player shall be strictly adhered to.

The Premier League has strict regulations over payment of players, stipulating that a player's benefits will be set out in his contract and strictly adhered to.

Every club must lodge their bonus schedule before the start of the season.

It is thought unlikely the Premier League will take action because the offer was withdrawn promptly once it was realised the payments would have broken its rules.

Speaking after Sunday's loss at Spurs, Cardiff manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said an earlier pep-talk from controversial owner Tan would inspire his side to Premier League safety.

Tan addressed players and manager in the team hotel on Saturday to offer "encouraging words" and, it was later revealed, a bonus payment if they avoided an immediate return to the Championship.

Cardiff, promoted as champions last season, have won only one of their last 12 league games.

Cardiff City chairman Mehmet Dalmain said Tan had no executive powers to offer bonuses to players.

There was quite an interesting interview with Tan on 5 Live where he explains his side of the recent events at Cardiff and he comes across quite well when he explains it all and I do think the fact he stayed quiet on it all meant the media had a bit of a field day with painting him as some sort of clueless bond villain because he's sacked their mate Malkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:33 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Wonder if Ole has started to realise this was the worst career move he could ever have made.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:28 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

borocooper wrote:
Wonder if Ole has started to realise this was the worst career move he could ever have made.

Got to take the jump at some point as things had started to go a bit stale for him at Molde but it doesn't look like it's going to plan at Cardiff will be interesting to see what they do with him in the summer if they do go down because there doesn't seem to be much noise about him getting sacked.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:42 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Got to take the jump sometime sure.. But taking over this lot was a bad idea. Actually seem worse under him.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:58 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

borocooper wrote:
Got to take the jump sometime sure.. But taking over this lot was a bad idea. Actually seem worse under him.

If he'd waited a little longer he might have got the Spurs job :lol:

I think one of his mates is involved at Cardiff which is why he's gone there maybe feels he'll be given time.

It's still largely Mackay's team and I just don't think they have much premiership quality in that squad Caulker & Medel stand out plus the keeper is alright but the rest look like championship players.

All the off field stuff gives players an excuse as well and Ole seems resigned to relegation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:10 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

That's why I don't understand it. He joined a team in the sh*t but one where the players and fans seemed to love the manager and hate the chairman. The team was mostly built by mackay so he didn't even get to build something. He'd have had chance to do that elsewhere.. Villa for example. Just seems like he's on to a loser here. Can't see him getting anywhere and if they fire him that little reputation he was building will be dead already.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:19 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Cardiff City have asked the Premier League to look into the alleged leaking of their team to Crystal Palace before their recent Premier League game.

The Bluebirds have accused Palace of getting the team by unethical means.

Cardiff confirmed their chairman Mehmet Dalman has been in touch with the Premier League about the matter.

Palace beat Cardiff 3-0 last Saturday, a result which leaves Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's men 19th place in the table, six points from safety.

The Bluebirds claim Palace knew their line-up 24 hours before the game.

"What Cardiff have done is ask the Premier League to look into this and see where it goes from there," said BBC Wales football correspondent Rob Phillips.

"They were bitterly unhappy that it appears their starting line up was leaked."

Crystal Palace chairman Steve Parish declined to comment because he did not want to give the accusations "oxygen".

If only Cardiff had an ex Palace player on loan from somewhere???

In other news I wonder if Zaha will play this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:00 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer admits the buck stops with him following Cardiff's relegation from the Premier League.

City's Championship return was confirmed by their 3-0 defeat at Newcastle last weekend and Solskjaer, who took over from Malky Mackay in January, is already preparing for life in the lower division.

"I am the manager. I will take the blame," Solskjaer said.

"I didn't make the impact on the results I hoped for. I came in hoping to make a difference and we could move up the table, but it didn't happen.

"We haven't performed very well to stay up, and that's the reality. We have not been good enough. We have got to give the fans a good last game, and then we will look towards next season.

"I have got no other signals than planning for next season. The key is to start the season well.

"You have to learn from your mistakes as a player and coach. I am a better manager now than when I came here.

"We came into the unknown this season, and the majority of the players didn't know much about the Premier League. The experience of playing in the Premier League will give everyone a taste."

Changes

Keeping players of the calibre of Steven Caulker, midfielder Gary Medel and goalkeeper David Marshall may be Solskjaer's priority, but he could give no guarantees on their future.

"There will be changes," Solskjaer said. "I will do my best to keep hold of the most important players. That job has already started.

"The ones who will be here will have to have the character, as in the Championship you cannot turn up and just go through the motions.

"You have to come back with a hunger to do well, but the majority of the squad here has that experience of the Championship.

"Everyone wants to be back there next year, but it is not going to be easy. The Championship is a very tough league, and you have to be right, mentally.

"The longer you go before you manage to bounce back, the more difficult it proves to be.

"The whole club is disappointed, but there is only one thing to do and that is come back stronger."

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:31 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan says he will consider changing the club's colours back from red to blue – if they can win promotion back to the Premier League.

The Malaysian businessman was behind the controversial decision to dispense with tradition and change the Bluebirds' home kit to red, but appears now to be prepared to at least think about reverting back.

Cardiff were relegated last weekend after a turbulent first season in the Premier League, with the manager Malky Mackay dismissed in December and his successor Ole Gunnar Solskjaer unable to halt relegation.

Tan has said that should the club bounce back to the top flight, he might be prepared to concede on the club's colours, having believed a change to red would make the club more marketable overseas, especially in Asia.

"I would like to focus on getting back to the Premier League and after we are there I will definitely agree to sit down and find a solution – maybe we can have a compromise," he told the BBC.

"I am not a quitter. I will stay until we get ourselves up and then we will see whether we can work out this colour change and compromise. If we can, maybe I will stay for a long time.

"Let us get back to the Premier League first and after we are there I assure fans, the Supporters' Trust and all of them, that I will sit down with them and we will find a solution that I hope will be satisfactory for all – for them and for me also.

"We would like to work closely with the fans. We will try to engage and meet as often as we can. Our chairman [Mehmet Dalman] will have constant dialogue and whenever I can I will join them."

Tan has also rejected his image as a "villain" after reaching a settlement over the sacking of Mackay.

The manager and his former head of recruitment Iain Moody both released statements on Friday announcing that they had reached settlements with Cardiff and also issued apologies for any offence they may have caused to Tan.

"For legal reasons I cannot comment on the detail," Tan said, "but I'm pleased that finally we have a closure on this matter and suffice to say he [Mackay] is dropping all litigation, all claims against us.

"I'm pleased with the result and I'm also pleased that he has publicly apologised. I said before, one day some people will apologise to me for what they have done.

"Some people made me out like the villain. I'm supposed to be the Bond villain, but actually I'm James Bond."

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:36 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
"Some people made me out like the villain. I'm supposed to be the Bond villain, but actually I'm James Bond."

- That's a facebook status. What a quote. :lol:

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:32 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Cardiff owner Vincent Tan has laid into former manager Malky Mackay who he still believes wasted money 'on the wrong people.'

The Bluebirds propped up the Premier League table in 20th place, finishing seven points from safety after Tan sacked Mackay to be replaced by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in January.

Tan holds Mackay responsible for City's slump at the top level after topping the Championship table last season.

Tan said: "Why wouldn't you blame him for relegation? He took this club to the Championship.

"If I had not invested, he couldn't have won promotion. Why didn't he earn promotion with Watford?

"He was their manager for two years, finishing 14th and then maybe 16th.

"When Dave Jones was here, he took us to the play-offs. Malky Mackay came here as a non-performer at Watford and I gave him £15m to spend.

"I say the fans must be asked to use their heads and brains to think, not make decisions from the heart.

"Sometimes, when you make decisions from the heart, you don't think straight."

As for Mackay's purchases, Tan added: "I gave him a big budget and he spent it on the wrong people.

"We were supposed to have a main striker and we signed a 20-year-old (Andreas Cornelius), paying him £45,000 a week.

"We paid more than £10m. The reported £7.5m is not the right number. It was over £10m. And, guess what? He hardly started.

"Why pay so much for a main striker, pay £45,000 a week, more than Craig Bellamy, and then don't start him?

"Stupid decisions. This is a manager who knows how to run a business? People ask why I am angry. Wouldn't you be if you hired somebody and this was the kind of performance?"

Bit tasteless coming out and blaming the manager that you sacked half way through the season for relegation when it was the form in the second half of the season that really cost Cardiff.

Mackay has to take some blame he was given good money and didn't spend it very well but it was his side and he probably should've been given to the end of the season but it would seem that Tan was not happy about the over spend and lets not forget it's his pocket that the money comes out of so he sacked the people responsible.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:09 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Cardiff manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will be given more funds to strengthen the squad, says chairman Mehmet Dalman.

Solskjaer has signed four new players since relegation from the Premier League and Dalman said the recruitment plans showed their intent to gain promotion back to the top-flight.

"[Owner] Vincent Tan is prepared to put his chequebook out and support these hirings," Dalman said.

"That shows the determination to come back from last year's disappointment."

Cardiff have added forwards Javi Guerra, Federico Macheda, Adam Le Fondre and midfielder Guido Burgstaller for their Championship campaign and Dalman expects further arrivals to bolster the squad.

"I wouldn't be surprised if we had another one announced by the end of this week," Dalman told BBC Radio Wales Sport.

"One of the criticisms we had last year was the fact we didn't have enough firepower upfront.

"I think we rectified that with the latest signings and obviously what we want to do now is pay attention to the midfield and the defence.

"That's where I think we'll be focusing our efforts in the next couple of months."

Dalman expects Cardiff will be approached by clubs interested in signing defender Steven Caulker and midfielder Gary Medel this summer.

Both players are believed to have release clauses in their contracts triggered by the club's relegation to the Championship, although potential buyers would have to meet the Bluebirds' valuation

"I will be surprised if we didn't get people knocking on the door. I think it's inevitable," Dalman said.

"They're quality players. One [Medel] is the captain of his national side and he's a superb player as we've seen.

"Steve has been a steady performer and a consistent performer at the highest level."

Dalman has assumed chief executive responsibilities at Cardiff after Simon Lim stepped down as chief executive after 18 months in the role.

Announcing Lim's departure, the club also confirmed the appointment of Ken Choo as general manager.

Cardiff said Choo would join a newly formed executive committee alongside manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Dalman and a representative of Tan's.

The club criticised the transfer policy of former boss Malky Mackay and his management team and Dalman explained the executive committee would safeguard future transfer dealings.

"The whole objective really is to have a body that takes accountability and responsibility for the decisions it makes," Dalman added.

"Going forward, take the transfer policy, it will actually be impossible for any one person to make a transfer without the committee signing off on it.

"The owner or the owner's representative, myself, the manager and general manager will have to sign off every transfer that we do.

"This is my decision in the way I want to organise the club and this was my recommendation to the board and to the owner and the major shareholder and the supported it.

"I think this is the way it should have been done in the first place.

"We wanted to make sure going forward we have a proper management structure in place that has clear accountability and responsibility."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:17 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Jordon Mutch is set for an immediate return to the Premier League after Queens Park Rangers agreed a deal worth £5m for the Cardiff City midfielder. The 22-year-old, who scored seven goals in the top flight last season, will undergo a medical at QPR on Tuesday morning and they hope to be in a position to confirm his arrival by the end of the day.

Although there have been suggestions that the fee is closer to £6m, QPR claim there was a break clause in Mutch’s contract allowing him to leave for £5m. Mutch, who had less than a year left on his contract, follows in Steven Caulker’s footsteps by swapping Cardiff for Loftus Road this summer. Caulker, who won an England cap in 2012, moved to the club in an £8m deal last month.

Mutch is an attacking midfielder and, as he demonstrated last season when he caught the eye in a struggling team, he is capable of scoring goals with either foot. He started his career as a youth player at Derby County before joining Birmingham City.

Cardiff paid an undisclosed seven-figure fee for Mutch when they signed him from Birmingham in 2012. At the time Peter Pannu, their vice-chairman, claimed that the St Andrew’s club had inserted “a heavy sell-on clause”.

Mutch is likely to be the first of two midfielders to leave Cardiff this week, with Gary Medel close to joining Internazionale for a fee close to £10m.

The Chile international, who played at the World Cup finals this summer, was never likely to make another appearance for Cardiff following their relegation last season.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:38 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Cardiff manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer appears set to leave the club on Thursday following talks over his future in London, Sky sources understand.

Tuesday night’s 1-0 home defeat to Middlesbrough, their second at the Cardiff City Stadium in the space of four days, left the club struggling in 17th spot in the Sky Bet Championship.

The talks in London on Wednesday were said to be amicable but the Norwegian is unlikely to remain in the post, with City owner Vincent Tan keen to oversee a swift return to the Premier League.

The former Manchester United striker failed to keep the club in the top-flight last season, despite taking over from Malky Mackay on January 2 with the club 17th in the division, just outside the relegation places.

The 41-year-old has signed 14 players since his appointment, including nine in the latest transfer window, but has guided Cardiff to just nine wins in 30 matches in charge and has secured a single point from their last four league games.

Solskjaer took responsibility for his side's poor start to the season after the Boro defeat, saying: "I'm responsible and I should get better results than this."

But it looks as though he will not get the opportunity to help improve their form, with his eight-month tenure apparently drawing to a close.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:25 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
I read Pulis has been lined up

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:39 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

If he's been promised good money then maybe he would step down but I would've thought Pulis would sit tight and wait for a PL club to panic and sack their manager.

It was a bad more by Solskjaer taking that job at that time especially after all that has come out about Mackay/Moody despite what you think of them (they're complete sh*tbags imo) those players were their players and that along with the fans made it a very tough job for Solskjaer who was really put in charge of a sinking ship at that point.

I think he might have given himself some serious issues in finding work again as Cardiff under his watch have sunk like a stone and some of his signings have been very questionable I know they're cheap in comparison to the signings Mackay made but they struggled to make the step up.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:23 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

The least surprising thing ever. One of the most stupid career decisions I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:03 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Ole Gunnar Solksjaer has left Cardiff City by mutual consent after nine months as manager, following their disappointing start to the season.

The 41-year-old leaves the club in 17th position in the Championship after three defeats from seven games following their relegation from the Premier League.

Solskjaer was appointed in January in the wake of Malky Mackay's departure but was unable to save the Bluebirds from the drop, while the team's form this season continued along the same lines.

"Ole was hired on our understanding and belief that he would help us fight relegation from the Premier League." owner Vincent Tan told the club's official website.

"Unfortunately that did not happen. After the club was relegated many people advised me to let him go, but I decided to keep Ole on for the Championship season. Regrettably our recent results do not justify Ole’s continued role as manager.

“Ole has therefore decided to step down and I have accepted this. During my short association with Ole, I have found him to be an honest and hardworking professional but unfortunately the football results were not in his favour."

The former Manchester United striker signed 14 players since his appointment, including nine in the summer transfer window, but an overall record of 16 defeats from his 30 matches in charge proved insufficient for a club with aspirations of an immediate return to the top flight.

“Having spoken with Ole on deciding the best course of action for all parties, I’m sorry to say that we have agreed that it is in the best interest of the club for us to go our separate ways," Cardiff chairman Mehmet Dalman added.

"Ole has been a wonderful professional to work with since his arrival at the club. Due to a difference in philosophy of approach to the game, we have decided to part company amicably."

Defender Danny Gabbidon, who returned to the club as a player-coach earlier this month will take charge of the team for Saturday's game against Derby, alongside Scott Young, who spent his entire playing career with the club before taking up a role with the club's community operation.

Solskjaer, who was in his first managerial role in British football after a successful spell in charge of Molde in his native Norway, also blamed the "difference in philosophy" for his exit.

“I want to thank Vincent for giving me the opportunity to manage Cardiff City FC. He has my full respect and I really wish him all the best in his pursuit of making this football club successful," he said.

"However, our difference in philosophy on how to manage the club made me decide to step aside and allow the club to move forward in the direction Vincent wants."

Solskjaer's final match in charge proved to be Tuesday's 1-0 home defeat by Middlesbrough, with his team booed off the pitch at half-time and full-time.

I think people forget things at Molde had started to go a bit t*ts up when Solskjaer finally decided to jump ship i think for him it was possibly a case of now or never when he decided to take the job.

From what I could gather Solskjaer was trying to build a young side where I'm guessing the owner probably wants a bit more instant success approach to get them back to the Premier League at the first attempt the consolidate which would explain the Pulis link.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:14 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Can't believe he took the job in the first place.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next