AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: THE (bent) FIFA PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:59 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Blatter &. Platinum banned for 8 years over illegal payment they found no contractual basis for the payment being made by FIFA to Platini and it was signed off by Blatter.

UEFA say they will stand by platini through the appeals process and blatter says only the executive committee can remove him as president he is also expected to appeal the decision.

These guys eh what can you do with them? They'll be like mob bosses running their business from prison like that scene in goodfellas or if you've seen Narco's they'll just build their own FIFA jail

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:27 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Sepp Blatter has responded to his eight-year ban from football by insisting that he is not guilty of any wrongdoing over a payment to Michel Platini. The 79-year-old said that he remains president of Fifa, before stating that he will take his case to the court of arbitration for sport.

The Fifa ethics committee, chaired by the German judge Hans-Joachim Eckert, ruled on Monday morning that both Blatter and Platini should be banned, despite their protestations that they did nothing wrong when Blatter paid the Uefa president 2m Swiss francs (£1.35m) in 2011, nine years after both men claimed it was originally due. In addition to being banned, Blatter was fined 50,000 Swiss francs or £34,000 and Platini 80,000 Swiss francs or £54,000.

Speaking at a press conference in Zurich, Blatter – flanked by his daughter Corinne and sporting a plaster on his face caused by having a mole removed – claimed that he was a victim. “To say that it is a good day for me or for Fifa, it would be totally wrong” Blatter said.

“You can identify me as an optimist. Together with a Swiss lawyer, we thought that we had convinced the panel, with Mr Eckert in the chair, about the situation with the payment. We thought that we were in a situation that was clear, with a clean sheet.

“We had a oral contract, a gentleman’s agreement. This was made in 1998 after the World Cup. What astonished me now when I talk about the decision today is that they deny the existence of such an agreement. This agreement was confirmed by two meetings. We have the proof that this agreement existed.

“Therefore the 2m Swiss francs paid to Platini went through the finance committee, the executive committee and was done in good terms. This is a donation. This is a gift. We avoided the issue of corruption. We did this because this arrangement was in the Fifa books. You can have oral contracts. Once again we go to the appeal committee. We go to Cas, the court of arbitration for sport. There might have been an administrative error, but this was nothing to do with the ethics. This cannot be proven. If it cannot be proven, then it cannot be guilty.”

Platini also claimed in a statement that he would also be appealing to Cas, insisting that he was “at peace with my conscience”. He called the action against him “a true mockery. It was orchestrated to tarnish my reputation. I’m convinced that my fate was decided before the December 18 hearing and that this decision is just a pathetic manoeuvre to hide a true will of taking me out of the football world.”

Blatter had appeared before the ethics committee last Thursday, protesting his innocence in a letter to all 209 Fifa members in which he likened the process to the Spanish inquisition. On Monday, he continued to defend himself, making reference to Nelson Mandela.

“Mr Mandela was talking about humanity. Humanity needs no other significance than to respect each other and I say that to celebrate humanity through football was created by this great humanist.

“I will fight,” he added. “I will fight for me and I will fight for Fifa. Suspended for what? I spoke with my lawyer this morning and we were not surprised that the notification was made first to the media. This committee has no right to go against the president of Fifa. The president can only be removed by the congress. Even suspended, I am still the president. I regret, but I am not ashamed.

“I’m really sorry. I’m sorry that I am still somewhere a punching ball. As president of Fifa, I’m still this punching ball. I’m sorry for Fifa. I’m sorry for football. I’m also sorry about me. How I am treated in this world.

“Human beings needs to be respected. It has created a lot of collateral damage in the families. My family was mocked. I regret I am this punching bag. Fifa is still working well, I congratulate Barcelona to winning the Club World Cup. I am a man of principles. These principles are: never take money that is not earned. Secondly, pay your debts. I’ll be back”

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:14 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Jérôme Valcke, the former right-hand man to the banned Fifa president Sepp Blatter, is facing a possible nine-year suspension from football after Fifa’s investigators said he had violated nine counts of its ethics code.

The head of the investigatory arm of Fifa’s ethics committee, Cornel Borbély, recommended the nine-year ban and a 100,000 Swiss francs (£67,500) fine as it passed the case to the adjudicatory arm, headed by the German judge Hans-Joachim Eckert, for a final decision.

Last month Blatter and Michel Platini, the Uefa president who was his heir apparent, were banned from football for eight years by Fifa’s ethics committee following an investigation into a £1.35m “disloyal payment”. Both men protested their innocence and said they would appeal.

Valcke, the former secretary general, a key Fifa figure since he returned for his second spell at the organisation in 2007, was placed on indefinite leave in September after he was implicated in a scheme to sell World Cup tickets above face value and share in the profits. The plan was never enacted and Valcke denied the allegations.

The Frenchman was later provisionally suspended for 90 days while Fifa’s ethics committee looked into the case, along with claims he facilitated a $10m (£6.8m) payment from the South African FA to an account controlled by the disgraced former Fifa vice-president Jack Warner. Valcke’s New York-based lawyers Kramer Levin said in a statement that the Frenchman had done “absolutely nothing wrong”.

The statement said: “The investigatory chamber of the Fifa ethics committee has chosen to ignore Jérôme Valcke’s exemplary conduct and extraordinary contributions during his long tenure as secretary general. Today’s press release is nothing more than a self-serving public relations effort to wrongly attack Mr Valcke in a desperate attempt to try to prove that Fifa can police itself. Mr Valcke did absolutely nothing wrong as any independent and fair review of the facts would establish.”

It is also understood the Fifa ethics committee has been examining allegations relating to Valcke’s expenses and, among other things, his use of a private jet.

In a statement, the Fifa ethics committee said: “The chairman of the investigatory chamber recommended imposing a sanction of a nine-year ban and a fine of 100,000 Swiss francs on Mr Valcke for alleged violation of the general rules of conduct, loyalty, confidentiality, duty of disclosure, cooperation and reporting, conflicts of interest, offering and accepting gifts and other benefits, and general obligation to collaborate.

“Until a formal decision is taken by the adjudicatory chamber of the ethics committee, Mr Valcke is presumed innocent.”

Valcke’s 90-day suspension from all football-related activities ends at midnight on Tuesday but a 45-day extension has been requested by Borbély.

Valcke had become a pivotal figure in Blatter’s administration, responsible for negotiating many of Fifa’s commercial and broadcasting deals. He quickly became indispensable to Blatter when he joined in 2003 as head of marketing and TV.

In 2006, he left Fifa under cloud after being criticised by a New York judge for lying during contract negotiations with Mastercard but returned less than a year later as secretary general. Since then, he has delivered World Cups in South Africa and Brazil and been entrusted with shifting the Qatar 2022 World Cup to winter.

But Valcke’s position became increasingly untenable in the fallout from the February raids in Zurich that precipitated Fifa’s near-collapse and the indictment of 35 football officials in the US on charges including money laundering, racketeering and tax evasion.

By the time he was suspended, Valcke had already agreed to leave Fifa in February at the same congress at which Blatter had promised to hand over to a new president. Shortly before he was suspended, Valcke was understood to have sought to negotiate a multimillion-pound pay-off.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:59 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Suspended Uefa president Michel Platini says he will not stand in the Fifa presidential election next month.

Platini, along with Fifa president Sepp Blatter, has been banned from football-related activities for eight years by world football's governing body.

Both men were found guilty of breaches surrounding a £1.3m ($2m) "disloyal payment" made to Platini in 2011.

They are appealing against their bans, but Platini says the timing of the 26 February election means he cannot run.

"I'm withdrawing from the race for the Fifa presidency," the 60-year-old Frenchman told the Associated Press.

"The timing is not good for me. I don't have the means to fight on equal terms with the other candidates.

"I have not been given the chance to play the game. Bye bye Fifa, bye bye Fifa presidency."

'Injustice is revolting me'

Platini, president of European football's governing body since 2007, had submitted his candidacy for the Fifa presidential election but could not stand while suspended.

He and Blatter, 79, plan to take their cases to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

"I've spent more time in hearing rooms than on football pitches speaking about 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 or football news," added Platini.

"I'm taking this philosophically. Let's wait and see what happens. But injustice is revolting me and I'm trying to fight it."

Platini and Blatter claimed the payment was honouring an agreement made in 1998 for work carried out between 1998 and 2002, when Platini worked as a technical adviser for Blatter.

Fifa's ethics committee said there was "not sufficient evidence" to establish the payment was a bribe, but both men demonstrated an "abusive execution" of their positions.

"I can't have any regret in that story because things fell upon my head while I haven't done anything wrong," added Platini.

"I'm struggling to understand what happened, unless there was a will somewhere to prevent me from bidding."

'Maybe I'll come back in 20 years'

The English Football Association had previously backed Platini for the Fifa presidency, but suspended its support in October pending the outcome of the ethics inquiry.

FA chairman Greg Dyke said recently the organisation had yet to decide who to now support.

"I had 150 associations thinking that I'm the right person to solve Fifa problems," said Platini.

"It won't happen. But there is no age limitation, so maybe I'll come back in 20 years. Who knows?"

I know he has a right to try and clear his name but surely he can't still be seen as the head of UEFA with this going.

I still think until outside people come in to sort it out the problems for FIFA will continue you can't resolve a problem like this internally as everyone is part of the system. This is why when you get a scandal in big companies the guy who comes in at the head of the organisation normally comes from outside very rarely is anyone promoted from within

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:28 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Gianni Infantino has been elected as the new president of Fifa, having been voted in to replace the disgraced Sepp Blatter at Friday’s election in Zurich.

The Uefa general secretary beat Sheikh Salman bin Ebrahim al-Khalifa, Prince Ali bin al-Hussein of Jordan and the former Fifa deputy general secretary Jérôme Champagne. The South African Tokyo Sexwale withdrew moments before the first vote. Sheikh Salman had been favourite to succeed Blatter because of support from the Asia and Africa, while Infantino had the backing of Uefa members.

Fifa election: Gianni Infantino wins presidential election – live
“Dear friends, I cannot express my feelings in this moment,” Infantino told the Fifa Congress. “I told you I went through a journey, an exceptional journey, a journey which made me meet a lot of fantastic people, who love football and breath football and live football every day.

“We will restore the image of Fifa and the respect of Fifa and everyone in the world will applaud us. I want to work with all of you together in order to restore and rebuild a new era of Fifa where we can put again football at the centre of the stage. Fifa has gone through sad times, moments of crisis, but those times are over. We need to implement the reform and implement good governance and transparency. We also need to have respect. We’re going to win back this respect through hard work, commitment and we’re going to make sure we can finally focus on this wonderful game that is football.”

Voting went to a second round after none of the candidates received the required two-thirds majority in the first round at the extraordinary congress. Infantino led the first round, with 88 of the 207 votes cast, ahead of Sheikh Salman’s 85 votes, Prince Ali’s 27 and Champagne’s seven.

It was the first time voting for the Fifa presidential election had reached a second round since 1974, when João Havelange of Brazil became the first non-European president ahead of England’s Sir Stanley Rous.

A two-thirds majority (138 votes) was required to win in the first round, but a simple majority of more than 50% (104 votes) was sufficient for victory in the second round.

Infantino secured 115 votes to Sheikh Salman’s 88 to become the second successive Swiss president, after Blatter.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:04 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
New Fifa president Gianni Infantino signed off on a contract with two businessmen who have since been accused of bribery, leaked documents reveal.

Hugo and Mariano Jinkis bought TV rights for Uefa Champions League football and immediately sold them on for almost three times the price.

The 2006 contract was signed off by Infantino when he was a Uefa director.

It is among the 11 million documents leaked from the Panamanian law firm Mossack Fonseca.

Uefa initially denied doing business with any of the 14 people who have been indicted by the FBI in its investigation into corruption in world football.

It has now told the BBC the TV rights were sold to the highest bidder in an open and competitive tender process.

A senior Fifa source has told the BBC the deal should be examined by the governing body's ethics committee in the interests of transparency.

Infantino has issued a statement saying he is "dismayed" that his "integrity is being doubted".

What is this all about?

Hugo and Mariano Jinkis are fighting extradition from Argentina to the United States.

In May 2015, US prosecutors alleged that, as the owners of Cross Trading, they paid millions of dollars in bribes to South American football officials over several years in order to gain lucrative television rights for regional football tournaments.

It is claimed the money was paid to senior football officials in exchange for cheap broadcasting rights that could then be sold on for a substantial profit.

Infantino is named on a contract with Cross Trading that concerns the Ecuadorian rights for Uefa Champions League football between 2006-7 and 2008-9.

Cross Trading, an offshore company registered to the tiny Pacific island of Niue, paid $111,000 (£78,000) for those rights.

Then, according to leaked documents, it sold them to Ecuadorian TV broadcaster Teleamazonas for $311,170 (£220,000).

Cross Trading also paid $28,000 (£20,000) for the rights to the Uefa Super Cup, selling those to Teleamazonas for $126,200 (£89,000).

There is no evidence to suggest Infantino received a bribe relating to the 2006 contract with Cross Trading, and no suggestion Teleamazonas was in any way complicit in any wrongdoing.

At the time, Infantino was the director of legal services with European football's governing body, Uefa.

Cross Trading also has links to Juan Pedro Damiani, a member of Fifa's ethics committee who has already been placed under internal investigation.

Considering the level of corruption that has been exposed at FIFA over the last 12 months by various organisations to think Infantino is 100% clean is just ridiculous anyone who's climbed the ladder in that old system will have had to get their hands dirty somewhere along the line it's how business was done at that time.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:03 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The Uefa president, Michel Platini, will finally resign from his post after losing his battle to appeal against his ban from all football over a “disloyal payment” from his former Fifa counterpart Sepp Blatter.

After the court of arbitration for sport upheld the ban but reduced the sanction from six years to four, Platini again protested his innocence and railed against a “profound injustice”.

The Frenchman had originally been the runaway favourite to replace Blatter when the Swiss resigned in the wake of the meltdown that followed police raids on the Baur au Lac hotel in Zurich in February 2015.

But Platini, who said he would fight on in the Swiss courts to clear his name, was then suspended and later banned after Swiss authorities opened a criminal investigation into Blatter’s payment of 2m Swiss franc in 2011.

The so-called “disloyal payment” was based on a verbal agreement between the two men relating to a period when Platini acted as a special adviser to Blatter between 1999 and 2002. The payment was made in addition to the salary Platini was paid during the period.

The three-man Cas panel said it was “not convinced of the legitimacy” of the oral deal and found that Platini had obtained an “undue advantage” and there been a conflict of interest that was in breach of two articles of the Fifa ethics code.

In its ruling, Cas also pointed out that the payment was made four months prior to the Fifa election in 2011, at a time when Blatter was facing a challenge from the Mohamed Bin Hammam. The Qatari was later banned for offering bribes and Blatter, backed by Platini’s Uefa, was re-elected unopposed.

Platini had, like Blatter, originally been banned for eight years but that sanction was reduced to six in February by Fifa’s appeals committee.

Cas reduced it further to four, but the decision effectively ends Platini’s career as a football administrator because – as he pointedly noted – it rules him out of standing for the Fifa presidency in 2019.

Cas also criticised Fifa. Although the payment was known about in 2011, it said it was not referred to its ethics committee until the Swiss prosecutor took action in 2015.

The panel also revealed that Platini benefited from a pension arrangement to which he was not entitled and said his lack of repentance and his senior position within both Fifa and Uefa, where he had been president since 2007, were factors in the length of the sanction.

Platini again hinted that he believed wider forces were at work in forcing him out of the upper echelons of football administration just two months before a European Championship in his native France that he had hoped would be a lap of honour after ascending to the Fifa presidency.

Instead, his one-time general secretary Gianni Infantino is the new Fifa president and Platini will be barred from performing any official or ceremonial duties at the tournament – although he will be allowed to attend matches.

“I take note of today’s decision from Cas but I see it as a profound injustice,” Platini said in a statement. “This decision inflicts a suspension on me that, as luck would have it, stops me from contesting the next election for the Fifa presidency. As agreed with the national associations, I am resigning from my duties as Uefa president to pursue my battle in front of the Swiss courts to prove my innocence in this case.

“Life is always full of surprises: I am henceforth available to experience more of them.”

Uefa will meet next week in Basel to decide on its next move, with a presidential election likely in September and the Dutchman Michael van Praag likely to be among the favourites to replace Platini. European football’s governing body said it would not name an interim president in the meantime.

good riddance to more bad rubbish.

Shows not even ex players can survive in an organisation that corrupt

Just a shame there's no actual penalty for what he's done

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 4:33 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Domenico Scala, a Swiss businessman who led reforms to clean up scandal-plagued Fifa, has resigned his post at world football’s governing body, saying its independent watchdog committees had lost their independence.

Scala, head of the audit and compliance committee, said the reform of Fifa, which is attempting to recover from the worst scandal in its history, had been undermined following a resolution by the Fifa Congress on Friday.

The resolution, passed by 186 votes to one, gave the Fifa Council power to appoint or “dismiss any office holders” of its independent bodies such as the ethics committee and the audit and compliance committee.

This effectively gives the council, which has replaced the former executive committee and is headed by Fifa’s president, Gianni Infantino, the right to fire ethics judge Hans-Joachim Eckert, ethics investigator Cornel Borbely and Scala himself.

The ethics committee, which was reformed in 2012, has investigated and banned more than a dozen top officials for ethics violations.

These have included former Fifa president Sepp Blatter and ex-secretary general Jerome Valcke as well as former executive committee members.

Scala said the new rule “undermines a central pillar of the good governance of Fifa and it destroys a substantial achievement of the reforms“.

“It will henceforth be possible for the council to impede investigations against single members at any time, by dismissing the responsible committee members or by keeping them acquiescent through the threat of a dismissal,” added Scala.

“The bodies are factually deprived of their independence and are in danger of becoming auxiliary agents of those whom they should actually supervise.“

Eckert and Borbely could not immediately be reached for comment.

Previously, committee members could only be sacked by the congress, which is held annually and where each of Fifa’s 211 member associations hold one vote. Fifa council meetings can be called at short notice.

During a speech to the congress earlier on Friday, Scala admitted that he had “made enemies“.

The vote, on an apparently simple administrative issue, was taken late in Friday’s meeting, the first since Gianni Infantino was elected as president in February.

Fifa passed a raft of reforms aimed at avoiding a repeat of the corruption scandal that has seen 42 football officials and entities indicted in the United States.

“We are following a democratic process,” Infantino told reporters after the vote on Friday.

“If we don’t act we are criticised and if we do act we are criticised, but we should also be criticised if we act in the wrong way. Do we wait one year for congress to dismiss committee members who should be changed?

“We need to be flexible to accomplish all the changes.”

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:53 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Gianni Infantino is set to be interviewed by a member of Fifa’s ethics committee amid allegations that the president breached world football’s governing body’s code of ethics.

Infantino, who strongly denies the allegations, will be spoken to as part of a preliminary investigation. If it is decided that a formal inquiry should be opened, Infantino could be suspended for 90 days.

Fifa’s president, who took the role in February, is alleged to have acted to destroy recordings of a Fifa council meeting in Mexico.

There are also claims that he discussed how to dismiss Domenico Scala, the head of the audit and compliance committee. Scala is responsible for setting Infantino’s wage and Infantino is alleged to have described the £1.3m salary offer as an “insult”. Infantino also faces allegations of expenses irregularities.

A Fifa spokesperson told BBC Sport: “The Fifa president has stated publicly he fully respects the independence and work of the ethics committee and that he would provide, if required, whatever information necessary to facilitate any potential review by the committee.

“The president has made clear that he has acted appropriately and in accordance with Fifa’s code of ethics.”

The BBC added that Infantino was said to be very confident no action will be taken.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:54 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The Franz Beckenbauer, the first man to win the World Cup as a player and manager, is facing a criminal investigation in Switzerland on suspicion of financial corruption after prosecutors named him as one of four men suspected of fraud, criminal mismanagement, money laundering and misappropriation during Germany’s bid for the 2006 World Cup.

Beckenbauer’s home in Austria was reported to be among eight premises searched simultaneously on Thursday “for the collection of evidence”, while the Swiss prosecutor’s office said “various suspects were questioned”. The 70-year-old, who captained West Germany to World Cup victory on home soil in 1974 before leading them to the trophy as the manager in 1990, was named alongside the former German football association presidents Wolfgang Niersbach and Theo Zwanziger, and the DFB’s former general secretary Horst Rudolf Schmidt by Switzerland’s attorney general.

All four were members of Germany’s World Cup organising committee, with Beckenbauer, serving as its president. Last year, the German news magazine Der Spiegel accused them of setting up a slush fund worth €6.7m (£5.6m) that was used to acquire support from Asia for the World Cup vote in June 2000, with money provided by the former Adidas chief executive Robert Louis-Dreyfus.

Der Spiegel alleged Dreyfus was later reimbursed via Fifa after the German World Cup organising committee made a €6.7m (£5.6m) contribution for a gala opening ceremony at Berlin’s Olympic Stadium. The gala was cancelled five months before the start of the tournament.

Beckenbauer accepted responsibility for the DFB’s “mistake” in making the payment to Fifa in April 2005 but has always denied any votes were bought by bribes. There is also no suggestion Niersbach, Zwanziger or Schmidt knew of or were involved in any alleged bribery.

“The investigations focus on the joint financing of a gala event, initially at the cost of €7m later reduced to €6.7m,” read the statement from the attorney general. “It is suspected the suspects knew this sum was not being used to fund the gala event but instead to repay a debt that was not owed by the DFB. In particular, it is suspected the suspects wilfully misled their fellow members of the executive board of the organising committee for the 2006 World Cup.

“This was presumably done by the use of false pretences or concealment of the truth, thus inducing the other committee members to act in a manner that caused DFB a financial loss.”

An investigation into the World Cup bid commissioned by the DFB and conducted by law firm Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, determined in March it could not rule out the possibility of vote buying and discovered the slush fund money ended up in an account owned by the former Fifa executive committee member Mohamed bin Hammam. The Qatari was banned for life from all football-related activity in 2011 after being found guilty of bribery in relation to that year’s Fifa presidential election.

The Swiss prosecutor’s investigation, kept private until now, began last November. The prosecutor’s office explained its interest in the case by stating: “Swiss jurisdiction in the proceedings is based on the fact that certain of the alleged criminal acts were carried out in Switzerland, which is also the suspected place of unlawful enrichment.”

Beckenbauer travelled the world to gain support for Germany’s bid, which faced campaigns from England, South Africa, Morocco and Brazil. Brazil withdrew from the running days before the vote was held in July 2000.

Germany beat South Africa by 12 to 11 in the final round of voting to secure the World Cup, after the Oceania delegate Charlie Dempsey, who was expected to vote for South Africa, controversially abstained at the last minute. The New Zealander was awarded Fifa’s order of merit in 2004 and died in 2008 aged 8

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:51 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Football's transfer market needs to be "seriously revised" with greater "clarity and transparency" required, says Fifa president Gianni Infantino.

The Swiss-Italian also said he was against clubs "hoarding" players and suggested introducing squad limits.

"The perception is that there is something strange happening with these transfers," Infantino said.

"Several billion US dollars are moved in a window, so it's important that it happens in a clean way."

It is common in England for clubs not to disclose transfer fees paid for players.

Infantino added: "It is a transfer system which has been essentially developed back in 2000-2001.

"After 15 years it is time to seriously revise it and bring in maybe a little bit more transparency and a little bit more clarity in terms of the rules."

Many clubs sign talented young players only to immediately loan them out, with the majority seeing little opportunity with the first team before eventually being sold on.

Infantino described the practice as "permitted" but added: "It doesn't feel right for a club to just hoard the best young players and then to park them left and right. It is not good for the development of the player or the club.

"We have to work on squad size limits."

I think it's something we'd all like to see but the transparency will be impossible to administrer as FA's would need to check every clubs books not just at the top level but all clubs also clubs don't have a legal obligation to hand this information over or even make it public depending on how they're owned.

The thing is in England the clubs would have to vote in the changes and that's unlikely.

Also, FIFA don't really have much power over the club game because they don't really represent the clubs in any competitions

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:19 pm 
Major General
Major General

Right JSP it all sounds pleasing to fans around the world but why would single club vote in favour of it ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:46 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Fifa has opened disciplinary proceedings over the Republic of Ireland's use of a logo to commemorate the centenary of the Easter Rising.

The Republic's players had the years 1916-2016 on their shirts during a friendly against Switzerland in March.

Fifa's decision comes amid discussions with the English and Scottish football associations over wearing poppies for their Armistice Day match.

The most likely punishment will be a fine, the BBC's Richard Conway reports.

A Fifa spokeswoman confirmed proceedings had been opened, adding: "We cannot comment further at this stage nor speculate on any outcome."

The Football Association of Ireland has declined to comment.

The Easter Rising was an Irish rebellion against British rule, which lasted from 24 to 29 April 1916 and resulted in 485 deaths.

England and Scotland have used the Ireland example in their negotiations with Fifa over whether they can wear poppies on black armbands when they meet in a World Cup qualifier on 11 November.

The two FAs say they will defy any ban and are willing to accept any punishment handed down by the world governing body.

Before the investigation began, Fifa had been accused of double standards over the Republic's use of the Easter Rising logo.

Damian Collins MP, chairman of the Commons' Culture, Media and Sport select committee, called on Fifa to "clarify the issue", adding that it appeared to be "an absolutely classic example of leniency being shown to other countries".

What do the rules say?

The International Football Association Board (Ifab) - made up of the four British FAs and Fifa - is responsible for formulating the laws of the game, which are then upheld by Fifa.

The laws cover everything from the field of play to the equipment used and how the result of a game is determined.

A section of law four, which deals specifically with players' equipment, reads: "Equipment must not have any political, religious or personal slogans, statements or images.

"Players must not reveal undergarments that show political, religious, personal slogans, statements or images, or advertising other than the manufacturer's logo.

"For any infringement the player and/or the team will be sanctioned by the competition organiser, national football association or to be justified by Fifa."

It does not specify what the sanctions are for breaching those rules.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:15 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Fifa's disciplinary committee is believed to be examining the build-up to England's World Cup qualifying game against Scotland at Wembley.

The display of poppies on big screens, the minute's silence, playing the Last Post and handing poppy t-shirts to the crowd could now be assessed.

Both Football Associations have been charged for wearing poppies in the match on Armistice Day on 11 November.

Rules forbid "political" statements on shirts.

The booing by supporters during the national anthems and items thrown onto the pitch, allegedly from the section where Scotland fans were sat, is also understood to be under review.

A Fifa spokesperson said: "We can confirm that the disciplinary committee has opened proceedings on this matter. Please understand we cannot comment further at this stage nor speculate on any outcome or provide an estimated timeline."

England and Scotland players wore black armbands bearing a red poppy despite failing to get clearance from Fifa.

World football's governing body turned down a request by both teams to wear the traditional symbol marking Armistice Day.

Fifa said it did not ban the display of poppies and that any such claim was "a distortion of the facts".

The rules are laid out by the International Football Association Board (IFAB) and any breach is dealt with by Fifa's disciplinary committee - which Fifa says is an independent body.

Fifa added it could not pre-judge what symbols would constitute a breach of rules.

A points deduction is the most serious sanction available but a fine is considered to be more likely.

The British FAs would then have an opportunity to challenge that fine via Fifa's appeals process and a further chance to appeal at the Court of Arbitration for Sport - a course of action that would probably cost more than the fine.

FIFA has it's own problems which no one can ignore but they've got the FA bang to rights on this.

FIFA aren't there to decide what is and isn't ok when it comes to symbols on kits they decided on a blanket ban on everything so they could just focus on running football as they have no interest in politics.

Now the people who made these rules IFAB is an organisation that contains 8 seats 4 of those seats belong to the British FA's so we obviously voted in favour of this rule so basically we want to make the rules but we don't want to abide by them.

I think if they'd just done the pre match stuff everyone would've been fine but once our press decided to whip up a frenzy to try and sell newspapers it made it such a big deal that FIFA were obviously going to get drawn in to it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:39 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Fifa president Gianni Infantino says he is "not at all concerned" by the threat of hooliganism at next year's World Cup in Russia.

At Euro 2016, there were violent clashes between Russian and English supporters in Marseille.

One Russian fan, speaking as part of a BBC documentary to be broadcast on Thursday, said trouble is "100% guaranteed" at the 2018 World Cup.

Infantino also said the 2026 event could be hosted by multiple countries.

But he said the countries would "ideally" be close to one another for "the ease of travel".

Football's world governing body agreed in January on a 48-team World Cup in 2026. The bidding process has not begun yet for the tournament.

"It is perfectly in line with our sustainability and legacy to maybe bring together two, three, four countries who can jointly present a project with three, four, five stadiums each, " said Infantino, speaking during a visit to Qatar on Thursday.

The next European Championship, to be held in 2020, is being hosted across 13 cities.

Qatar is hosting the 2022 World Cup and is spending almost $500m (£400m) a week on major infrastructure projects in preparation.

Infantino says he is confident the stadiums and infrastructure will be ready in time, but added "a lot remains to be done".

Does feel like that whole Euro 2016 problem has been swept under the carpet a bit make no mistake that was gangs of well organised Russian hooligans attacking England fans like it was the 1980s

I do wonder what attendances will be like in 2018 & 2022 as I can't really see the appeal for most fans of travelling to these countries

I think the days of expecting 1 country to host a World Cup are probably over especially with the expansion it's just not feasible to expect 1 country to generate the facilities to put it on it's a massive waste of public money in the long term

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12