Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Brazilian Football
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:58 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

JSP wrote:
Staying in Brazil and getting out of Neymer's shadow might do him some good but if he could get a move to Porto that might be the best thing for him get away from the Brazilian crowds.

A move to England would be a huge mistake as he wants to much time on the ball.

This knee injuries have probably set him back a year or two in terms of his development he just needs to play games and see if he can get back on track

Ye Portugal looks the best place for him if he does cross the pond.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:43 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
JSP wrote:
Also, Neymar on £600k a month thats £150k a week I know the economy in Brazil is booming but I didn't realise they were paying those sort of wages

I know, that's a mental amount. I'd be surprised if anyone else in the league was on anything close to that. Was only made possible due to a recent bumper TV deal Brazil got IIRC.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:05 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Serbinator wrote:
I know, that's a mental amount. I'd be surprised if anyone else in the league was on anything close to that. Was only made possible due to a recent bumper TV deal Brazil got IIRC.

I imagine Ronaldinho & Seedorf aren't far off that sort of money same for the other guys who've gone back to Brazil like Deco & now Forlan as clubs get sponsors to supplement the wages

On a side note Ronaldinho has been dropped from a £500k Coca Cola deal after he turned up to the press conference with a can of Pepsi :coat:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:15 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
JSP wrote:
On a side note Ronaldinho has been dropped from a £500k Coca Cola deal after he turned up to the press conference with a can of Pepsi :coat:

:laugh: that's hilarious

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:22 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Great article on Neymar here: A Soccer Prodigy, at Home in Brazil

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:20 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Seedorf doing well so far!

Quote:
Seedorf strikes as Botafogo triumph
August 5, 2012

Recent signing Clarence Seedorf was on the scoresheet as Botafogo recovered from a half-time deficit to beat Atletico Goianiense 2-1.

Clarence Seedorf in action for Botafogo, whom he joined from AC Milan

Hosts Goianiense took the lead through Marcio's 28th-minute penalty but 36-year-old Dutchman Seedorf, who joined Botafogo last month, levelled up the scores in the 65th minute with his first goal for the club.

Fellype Gabriel then netted a 75th-minute winner for the visitors as Botafogo climbed into the top six of the Brazilian Campeonato.

Internacional are three points above Botafogo in fourth place after earning a 1-0 win at Palmeiras, Ygor Maciel netting the only goal of the game in the 35th minute.

In the other match, Portuguesa beat 10-man Figueirense 2-0 through goals from Bruno Menezes Soares (55) and Ananias Monteiro (86). Bottom club Figueirense played the final 20 minutes with a man less following the dismissal of Guilherme Santos.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:40 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Quote:
This. Is. Mental.

Last Sunday in the lower reaches of the Brazilian football food-chain Ponta Pora collected a 1-nil win over Coxim. The match, however, has since attracted global attention for one of the craziest tackles of the season.

In the final minute the hosts were under the cosh as Coxim built a promising attack on the left. A super bit a skill from the visitors number 4 took the player into the Ponta Pora box, and a goalscoring opportunity was on.

Cue the insanity.

Moments prior to the attack a Ponta Pora medic was reportedly tending to an injured player, and so whilst the Coxim attack developed the medic was still very much in the picture. Then, like a nutter, the medic decided to intervene by bursting onto the pitch and completing a slide-tackle in the Coxim number four.

Amazingly the medic was still holding his first aid bags at the time!

Watch the fabulously bizarre Brazilian footage below (18 seconds in).

:lol:

Also - how bad is the defending both for the goal, and also for the attack leading to the medic's challenge. He was probably watching the defenders pussyfoot around the attacker and thought 'F**k this if they don't want to put a challenge in, I'll do it myself!'

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:00 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Brazil sacked their manager again. Pep allegedly interested... But apparently Brazil fans aren't keen on a foreigner being in charge. Scolari being linked too, along with several Brazilian club managers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:55 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Scolari appointed...his most recent job was apparently helping Palmeiras to be relegated from the top league..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:29 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

He has the personality to handle the media in the build up to 2014 if he doesn't win the World Cup he might as well leave the country.

He's a massively experienced international manager and he's used to handling big names and getting them to perform under pressure.

The only concern would be since his last international gig Spain have changed the game leaving Brazil way off the pace at the top level.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:04 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Ronaldinho survived an attempted murder on the pitch. The guy didn't even get booked.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:53 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

That's mental

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:54 am 
Major General
Major General

Shocking "tackle" :no:

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:36 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Terrible - that guy deserves a 3 game ban minimum for that! :thumbdown:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:43 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Two football supporters have been shot dead by rival fans in Brazil, according to media in the South American country.

The incident happened in Brazil's north east, near the Arena Castelao World Cup stadium in Fortaleza.

Reports by Globo suggest two men who supported Ceara were shot in the head by two Fortaleza fans in a vehicle.

It is the latest in a series of issues that have led to questions about the nation's ability to stage of the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Olympic Games.

As well as delays to the rebuilding of the Maracana Stadium, Rio 2016 venue, the Joao Havelange Stadium, has been closed indefinitely.

The Folha de Sao Paulo newspaper claim Ceara fans, who had seen their side win 1-0, had earlier started a fight by throwing stones at Fortaleza supporters in an attack which happened around three miles from the stadium.

The Arena Castelao has been undergoing security tests ahead of its hosting of the Confederations Cup in June, prior to next year's World Cup.

However, World Cup local organising committee official Tiago Paes is adamant that there are no security fears concerning the stadium and the area.

"There is a lot of training work by the military police, civil police and even the army," he said.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:24 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Bloody fighting between rival fans in Brazil interrupted a key end-of-season match on Sunday, leaving several fans seriously injured and raising fresh concerns about security ahead of the World Cup.
Play between Atletico Paranaense and Vasco da Gama was held up for more than an hour after supporters in the stands attacked one another, resulting in a melee of kicks and punches that was eventually broken up by police using rubber bullets.
One of the injured was so badly hurt that he had to be airlifted out of the stadium in Joinville, a city in the south of Brazil, where the pitch became a makeshift heliport. The authorities said at least two others fans have been hospitalised and are in a serious condition.
"This is deplorable," Vasco da Gama coach Adilson Batista told reporters. "It's sad to see images like these just before the World Cup in our country. I'm shocked, this is not sport."
Although it was a crunch game – Atlético Paranaense were bidding for a spot in next year's Copa Libertadores, while Vasco da Gama, were fighting relegation – the thousands of fans were separated by only 80 private security guards when the fighting began after 15 minutes. Police and medical staff arrived later.
"We tried to tell the fans to stop because things would only get worse. We looked at the stands and there were no cops. There was nobody there to stop the fighting," Atletico Paranaense defender Luiz Alberto said. "I've playing for 20 years and I've never seen anything like this. We will have a World Cup in our country and we know these images will be shown everywhere."
Coming two days after the draw for next year's tournament, the clash has highlighted the problem of football violence in Brazil, where it is often linked to armed criminal gangs. By one estimate, more than 150 people have been killed in clashes in and around stadiums over the past 25 years.
Among many recent incidents, the most horrific was the beheading of a referee after he stabbed a player to death for disputing one of his decisions during an amateur match in the northern state of Maranhão. Although the fighting tends to be associated with league clubs rather than the national team, World Cup organisers will be concerned by the issues of policing, judicial response, gun crime and wide inequality that contribute to such violence.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:15 am 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Highscores: 7
On the videos I've seen of it when the trouble first started there wasn't any security in sight, the fans were well apart.. Atletico facing the camera, in the left hand side of the stand, and the Vasco fans were way over to the right, behind the goal.

The game was moved to a neutral venue because of previous violence, but felt there was no need to have segregation between the fans? Utter lunacy. One set of fans was able to run 80 yards around the stadium unchallenged to where the others were.

Fortunately it only lasted around two minutes.. could've been much much worse.

Think Atletico won 4-1 in the end, the game got back underway after a long break.

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:40 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I saw a video of it as well it was shocking how little segregation they had especially when you consider Brazil has a bit of a reputation for trouble between fan groups and like you say one set of fans basically ran half way around the stadium to get to the other fans.

I mean nothing like this will happen at the world cup but it's a bad advert for Brazil when things like this happen.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:59 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Manchester City midfielder Fernandinho has said that he expected to be recalled to the Brazil squad for his performances this season.

The 28-year-old, who joined the Eastlands club from Shakhtar Donetsk last summer, has been an important player for Manuel Pellegrini's side, scoring three goals in 20 Premier League games so far.

As a result, Fernandinho has been called up by Luiz Felipe Scolari for Brazil's friendly international against South Africa next month.

The former Atletico Paranaense midfielder is delighted with his return to the Brazil set-up and insists that he deserves his recall.

"I did expect to get called up because all my work at Manchester City in recent months was done with the goal of getting called up," Fernandinho told Globo Esporte.

"This is the last call-up before the World Cup, so I did have that expectation. When the squad was announced, it was the total joy. I was following through the internet and I got very happy."

He added: "I arrived at home after training and the telephone began to ring. I was really anxious to find out if my name was on the list.

"It was an immense joy for me. It's a big challenge for me. If I get the opportunity to show what I can do, I will do the best to be on the final list for the World Cup."

Fernandinho is currently recovering from a thigh injury that he suffered during a training session, but he insists that his return to action is imminent.

"Injuries are always bad, there is no good injury," he said. "But what matters is that I am in the final stage of my recovery and in one week at most I'll be playing again.

"Then I'll take care of myself to be ready for the national team. I want to play well and make Scolari think [about calling me up for the World Cup].

"This is the last chance and I'll regard it as the last one in my life."

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:14 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The first time I went to Brazil, 21 years ago, my little doze on the beach was interrupted by a huge roar, and I looked up to find, as far as the eye could see, people jumping up and down and cheering.

News had just come through that Ayrton Senna had won the Brazilian Grand Prix in Sao Paulo.

After Senna died, I was surprised by how the country's interest in Formula 1 fell.

"You can't really get involved in an event," wrote one prominent Rio columnist on the recent Chinese Grand Prix, "when the best-placed Brazilian is fighting for 10th place."

Last Thursday was the 20th anniversary of Senna's death. During the commemorations, 1970s racing great Emerson Fittipaldi lamented his compatriots' tendency only to follow a sport if one of their own is in contention for the title - a habit well-known to local TV executives.

Tennis, by no means a mass sport in Brazil, had a brief burst of popularity while Gustavo Kuerten was at his peak. In the words of Andre Rizek, presenter of a TV show on which I make regular appearances, "our national sport is not football, it is applauding winners".

It is a point of view that helps explain the importance of football in Brazil - and especially the World Cup. Every four years, the tournament holds the attention of many Brazilians who, on a daily basis, have little interest in the game.

Put simply, the World Cup is where Brazil win on the global stage. As 1970 centre forward Tostao once told me, this is when for Brazilians football turns into "something heroic. The people feel avenged. You might be the First World at other things, but we're the best at this".

This emphasis on winning might surprise those who have fallen for the standard myth - of Brazilian football as a king of Carnaval in boots, everyone more concerned with enjoying and expressing themselves than with the result. The truth could not be more different.

There is no myth in the individual skill that Brazilian football has produced, a tradition with worthy heirs in Neymar and Oscar.

It should be no surprise that Brazil produces so many fine players; South America has a rich football tradition, where the game is the only true mass sport. The population is around two hundred million - of which many have limited opportunities for social advancement through more formal means.

But in a low-scoring game such as football, flair on its own has rarely been enough. The way to get full value for that individual brilliance, and to ensure it has more space in which to operate, is to defend well. Brazil's defensive record in World Cups is, and always has been, far superior to that of Germany.

That is partly due to the fact that some of those great players the country has produced have been defenders. But it is also down to tactical organisation. Brazil were pioneers in the development of the back four, with its key concept of defensive cover.

They used it in their first World Cup win, in Sweden in 1958. With the exuberant young Pele, Garrincha working his magic on the right wing and Didi pulling the strings from central midfield, it is one of the great stereotypical 'Brazilian' sides - and they did not concede a single goal until the semi-final.

A left winger in that side and in the one which successfully defended the title four years later, Mario Zagallo was an early practitioner of the art of tucking back into midfield - hugely influential in the way that Alan Ball and Martin Peters interpreted their wide roles in England's 1966 side.

Four years later, Zagallo was Brazil's coach when they won in such style in Mexico - and he has told me that he is happy to consider that side as a forerunner of today's 4-5-1, or 4-2-3-1. "We brought our team back behind the line of the ball," he said.

And there is another aspect to Brazil's success which Zagallo also does much to illustrate. I told him that England went to Chile in 1962 without so much as a doctor, and he was so shocked he almost fell off his chair.

In 1958, Brazil had taken a full delegation of doctors, a dentist, a sports psychologist (a premature experiment, as it proved, but revealing nonetheless) and physical preparation specialists. Every care was taken in pursuit of the ultimate aim, victory.

This is the backdrop to the insistence of current coach Luiz Felipe Scolari that Brazil will win the 2014 World Cup.

"Would you accept being second?" he asks. "No one would accept this. So let's go to work thinking of finishing first." When he took charge towards the end of 2012, one of his first tasks was to draw up plans, soon circulated to the players, outlining activities all the way up to 13 July - the day of the World Cup final.

When he names his squad this Wednesday - no flim-flam with a list of 30, he will go straight to 23 players - the chosen men will be well aware that only one outcome will be considered acceptable.