AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Roy Hodgson Engwand manager
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:36 pm 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Highscores: 7
http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/NewsAndFeatu ... 00412.aspx

West Bromwich Albion have today granted permission for The FA to speak with Roy Hodgson regarding the position of England Manager.

This follows an approach from FA Chairman David Bernstein to West Bromwich Albion Chairman Jeremy Peace.

David Bernstein said: "I'm grateful to Jeremy and all at West Bromwich Albion for their co-operation in allowing us to approach Roy, who I have since spoken with.

"Roy is the only manager we have approached and we remain on course to make an appointment within the timescale we set-out soon after Fabio Capello's departure.

"Further conversations will now take place with Roy and my Club England colleagues before any further announcements can be made."

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger:

Last edited by Reedo on Thu May 03, 2012 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Woy approached by FA for England job
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:25 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

He's the best candidate based on the FA criteria that he has to be English.

Managed in Europe gets his team organised and normally punching above their weight.

His problem will be if he gets a bad start the media will want him sacked as he's not their man.

Not sure the egos in that dressing room will like his methods either

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:36 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
:laugh: :yay: :haha:

you know when you said they hadn't phoned you 'Arry :coffee:

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:25 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
JSP wrote:
His problem will be if he gets a bad start the media will want him sacked as he's not their man.

I agree - he's almost a dead man walking such is the media's love for Redknapp, and their influence over Joe Public mean as soon as England stumble, or he doesn't bend over backwards to keep them happy (see Capello not allowing the media access to the players during the last WC) the media will have his head on a stick, and in turn the fans will instantly get on the teams back.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:48 pm 
AGR Poster Of The Year
AGR Poster Of The Year

Resurrection Joe wrote:
:laugh: :yay: :haha:

you know when you said they hadn't phoned you 'Arry :coffee:

Amazing somehow 'Arry got the team to perform today, now that the FA has eyes for someone else

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:00 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Serbinator wrote:
I agree - he's almost a dead man walking such is the media's love for Redknapp, and their influence over Joe Public mean as soon as England stumble, or he doesn't bend over backwards to keep them happy (see Capello not allowing the media access to the players during the last WC) the media will have his head on a stick, and in turn the fans will instantly get on the teams back.

I can genuinely see him getting sacked after Euro 2012 if England bomb out in the group.

I think they have respect for Woy but unless he gives them the sort of access that Harry would have given them then they'll turn on him as soon as we lose a few games.

For me the new manager has to have a clear directive you can take the old boys to euro 2012 and give them 1 last chance but after that it's all over and they need bring through a new young team.

My only worry with Hodgson is that his teams are good because of hours spent on the training ground working on positions and team shape with England you don't get that sort of preperation time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:07 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

whereas 'Arry could apply his technical intricacies to a fluid dynamic system....

....so all he need do on gameday is bellow 'For Harry, England and St George, right lads, get fackin stuck in<twitch>'

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:01 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
Liverpool aside, he's a top manager.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:52 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Oh well..still think this will be the wrong appointment, but good luck to Woy. It's not like we were going to win anyway.

Just think it's worth noting aswell, for all the talk of the media and arry being their man. The media have always had a big soft spot for their man Woy too..even when he was stinking it up at pool, they were still very much behind him from what I remember..he was always pretty friendly with the media too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:11 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
He's a much better manager. I wonder how th eplayers will take to him though. I especially am interested in what he will do with John Terry and Rio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:42 am 
Major General
Major General

Slightly reminiscent of the Liverpool job for me, a manager getting the job ahead of the popular choice. He failed to win the Liverpool fans over, under the spectre of Dalglish, can he win the England fans and press over with the shadow of Harry looming over him?

For what it's worth I think he's a terrific manager, with a lot of experience of the game, and he's got a good tournament track record too. On paper he's the best English candidate for the job.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:05 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

He went into Liverpool at a difficult time Benitez squad had already started to be picked apart two of his best players wanted to quit before he arrived (Torres & Mascherano) and he had the problem of the club edging close to administration under the Hicks & Gillett process.

Yes he made a poor start and had a couple of bad signings but when you look at where they are now it might be that the problem at Liverpool runs deeper than just Hodgson it's now 3 seasons of finishing outside of the ECL.

The media do like Hodgson as he's a good man I don't remember him doing anything that would upset the media he's obviously well respected in the game and apart from Liverpool his CV is decent.

Redknapp is a cheque book manager his success has always been based on being able to attract good players to smaller clubs either with his personality or the fact that his owners back him up with cash lets also not forget that he was in charge when Southampton were relegated.

If Woy handles the press right they'll come round to the idea the fact is England don't need a great manager it's a part time job and if the stories of Spurs wanting £10m compensation for Arry and his backroom staff plus the wages they'd all attract it's to big a team.

All the money the FA have needs to be going into grass roots programmes not another expensive manager who the press will demand performs miracles with over rated stars who aren't suited to the style of international football. The only way we'll get better is to learn to play the game under the new rules not keep trying with our early 90's style of running around a lot and hitting a target man.

Hodgson has experience of playing a more european slower build up style he also knows how important it is to keep the teams shape at this level to stop easy counter attack goals.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:27 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

'Echoes of Clough as kingmakers ignore the voice of the nation' bawls their headline.

'The Football Association have taken the astonishing decision to approach Roy Hodgson to become the next England manager, ignoring widespread calls for Harry Redknapp to succeed Fabio Capello,' write Charles Sale and Matt Lawton, presumably pooling their collective fury and typing alternate words.

'There are echoes of Brian Clough here, the FA ignoring the nation's desire to see the man who guided Tottenham into the Champions League in 2010 and masterminded those stunning performances against the giants of Milan, and going for the safer option.'

I must've missed the time Redknapp won two league titles and two European Cups. Oh, no, wait, I didn't - because it never happened.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:28 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Martin Samuel also weighs in, as you might expect.

He writes: 'Poor old Harry Redknapp: in the end, he just wasn't ordinary enough for the Football Association and England. Ordinary would have fitted the schedule. Mediocre could have slotted right in. The last thing the FA wanted was a manager whose season went to the wire, who was still in there sparring with Arsene Wenger and Roman Abramovich come May.

'Played 52, won 20, lost 20, drawn 12: that is Hodgson at The Hawthorns. His team lie 10th, neither up nor down. It would be hard to sit more squarely on the fence. Ensconced neatly in the mediocrity of mid-table, Hodgson is approachable in a way that Redknapp is not.'

It's probably worth noting Harry and Woy's respective managerial career statistics at this point:

Redknapp - Won: 518, Drawn: 317, lost: 437, Win percentage: 40.76. League titles: 0.

Hodgson - Won: 408, Drawn: 283, lost: 257, Win percentage: 43.04. League titles: 5.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:30 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Writes Oliver Holt in The Daily Mirror, about Hodgson:

'Some of his press conferences at Anfield were exercises in mutual antagonism between him and the local media and they did him few favours.

'He was lampooned, crudely and unnecessarily, as Woy.'

Eyes left, to the big headline on the opposite page of the paper: 'OH WHY, OH WHY, OH WOY?'

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:39 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I think fans of most clubs can agree that Oliver Holt is a tool.

It's laughable that some journalists have had the balls to say this is a Brian Clough moment for our generation.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:49 pm 
Major General
Major General

In typical fashion Hodgson's accomplishments on foreign soil will never matter as much as Arry winning an FA Cup and getting Spurs into the Champions League, because somehow only English football matters.

I'm under no illusions of England playing free flowing and expansive football under Hodgson, that's not what his teams do. I'd rather England be successful and a little dull than lose every match 5-4 though.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:42 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

You have to imagine the days of Gewward, Tewwy & Bawwy are numbered :|

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:48 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Stevie G will be lucky to get in the squad as the rumours were they didn't always see eye to eye as Hodgson wanted Gerrard to play a more disciplined role than his usual roy of the rovers style that at his peak was devestatingly good.

I think one of the major reasons behind the choice of Hodgson will be the fact that away from the first team they see him as the sort of man who can help setup St Georges park properly whereas Redknapp would only really be interested in the first team.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:00 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
JSP wrote:
I think fans of most clubs can agree that Oliver Holt is a tool.

It's laughable that some journalists have had the balls to say this is a Brian Clough moment for our generation.

Definitely.

And I can sorta see their point tbh, in that he doesn't really fit in with the very stuck up FA types, who as we all know much prefer someone without the mouth - not to mention the dodgy reputation. Don't forget they didn't renew Terry Venables' contract for the same dodgy reputation reasons*, and that was after he'd done really well for England already.

* Allegedly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next