AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: France 2016
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:24 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

France
-----------------------------------------------
France have beaten Turkey and Italy for the right to stage the European Championship in 2016.

France previously staged the tournament in 1960 and were hosts again in 1984, winning it with a team captained by Michel Platini, the Uefa president.

The French, hosts and winners of the 1998 World Cup, beat Turkey by just a single vote after Italy were eliminated in the first round of voting.

Euro 2016 will feature 24 countries playing 51 matches over one month.

"This is a beautiful day for us," said Jean-Pierre Escalettes, president of the French Football Federation.

"It is a moment of intense emotion to know that in 2016 France will welcome European football and will fulfil its promises.

"What counts for us is to have the full confidence of Uefa and this trust will not be betrayed.

"We also understand the frustration of Italy and Turkey - particularly Turkey, who lost by a single vote after bidding for a third time."

Platini admitted the contest had put him in a difficult situation - he is French, but of Italian descent and enjoyed his best playing years at Juventus.

"It was not an easy situation for me - I am French, my name is Italian and I have many friends in Turkey. But Uefa has proved once again that we have democracy."

French President Nicolas Sarkozy and former national team star Zinedine Zidane supported their country's case in a presentation to Uefa's ruling executive in Geneva on Friday.

The French government has pledged to help guarantee the projected 1.7bn euro (£1.45bn) cost of building and renovating stadiums despite the worldwide economic problems.

"When I spoke to the French Football Federation, we asked ourselves whether we wanted to be candidates in the middle of a crisis," he told the ceremony during the French presentation.

"But sport is an answer to the crisis. It is because we are in a crisis that we need sport. Nothing is more powerful than sport and, within sport, nothing is more powerful that football."

France's winning bid for 2016 consisted of 12 venues - the Stade de France where France defeated Brazil in the 1998 World Cup final, Paris Saint Germain's Parc des Princes, Lens, Lille, Bordeaux, Nice, Toulouse, Marseille, Lyon, Strasbourg, Saint Etienne and Nancy.

Zidane spoke of being a young fan in the Marseille stadium watching Platini's extra-time goal carry France past Portugal in a classic semi-final in 1984.

"That is the type of experience I want to live again," said Zidane. "Winning is beautiful but it's great to see all the people in the streets partying. This is what I would like to give my children."

Platini added: "It was a very narrow decision - the work done by all three federations was outstanding, and I would like to congratulate the French.

"It has been a complicated situation from the outset and I believe there is a sigh of relief from French football, and they can now upgrade all their stadia to make them up to the same standard as other countries in Europe."

Turkey were bidding to host their first major football tournament while Italy's chances had been written off after a critical review of their bid following Uefa's inspection visits.

Problems and delays in Poland and Ukraine, who will jointly host Euro 2012, may have persuaded Uefa's executive committee to avoid choosing Turkey, an untried country.

"We all did our best," said Turkey President Abdullah Gul, who had called on Uefa to take a "historic decision" and help bring Turkey, which has a Muslim majority, closer to the heart of Europe. "We are saddened that it was lost by one point."

The 2016 event will feature 24 countries for the first time, up from 16 in 2012, as France becomes the first country to stage the European Championship three times.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i think that's probably the best decision and personally with the amount of trouble with fans in Italy i would have ruled them out straight away, i know turkey has a big history too but I've not heard loads about violence there recently

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Euro 2016 has been awarded to.........
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:13 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
Sadly France have a history of winning things on home soil, and I'm sure nobody wants to see them win anything!!

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:23 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
they also have a history of being invaded by Germans, getting battered in international conflict & barbequing live sheep

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:40 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Jarv wrote:
France
-----------------------------------------------
France have beaten Turkey and Italy for the right to stage the European Championship in 2016.

France previously staged the tournament in 1960 and were hosts again in 1984, winning it with a team captained by Michel Platini, the Uefa president.

The French, hosts and winners of the 1998 World Cup, beat Turkey by just a single vote after Italy were eliminated in the first round of voting.

Euro 2016 will feature 24 countries playing 51 matches over one month.

"This is a beautiful day for us," said Jean-Pierre Escalettes, president of the French Football Federation.

"It is a moment of intense emotion to know that in 2016 France will welcome European football and will fulfil its promises.

"What counts for us is to have the full confidence of Uefa and this trust will not be betrayed.

"We also understand the frustration of Italy and Turkey - particularly Turkey, who lost by a single vote after bidding for a third time."

Platini admitted the contest had put him in a difficult situation - he is French, but of Italian descent and enjoyed his best playing years at Juventus.

"It was not an easy situation for me - I am French, my name is Italian and I have many friends in Turkey. But Uefa has proved once again that we have democracy."

French President Nicolas Sarkozy and former national team star Zinedine Zidane supported their country's case in a presentation to Uefa's ruling executive in Geneva on Friday.

The French government has pledged to help guarantee the projected 1.7bn euro (£1.45bn) cost of building and renovating stadiums despite the worldwide economic problems.

"When I spoke to the French Football Federation, we asked ourselves whether we wanted to be candidates in the middle of a crisis," he told the ceremony during the French presentation.

"But sport is an answer to the crisis. It is because we are in a crisis that we need sport. Nothing is more powerful than sport and, within sport, nothing is more powerful that football."

France's winning bid for 2016 consisted of 12 venues - the Stade de France where France defeated Brazil in the 1998 World Cup final, Paris Saint Germain's Parc des Princes, Lens, Lille, Bordeaux, Nice, Toulouse, Marseille, Lyon, Strasbourg, Saint Etienne and Nancy.

Zidane spoke of being a young fan in the Marseille stadium watching Platini's extra-time goal carry France past Portugal in a classic semi-final in 1984.

"That is the type of experience I want to live again," said Zidane. "Winning is beautiful but it's great to see all the people in the streets partying. This is what I would like to give my children."

Platini added: "It was a very narrow decision - the work done by all three federations was outstanding, and I would like to congratulate the French.

"It has been a complicated situation from the outset and I believe there is a sigh of relief from French football, and they can now upgrade all their stadia to make them up to the same standard as other countries in Europe."

Turkey were bidding to host their first major football tournament while Italy's chances had been written off after a critical review of their bid following Uefa's inspection visits.

Problems and delays in Poland and Ukraine, who will jointly host Euro 2012, may have persuaded Uefa's executive committee to avoid choosing Turkey, an untried country.

"We all did our best," said Turkey President Abdullah Gul, who had called on Uefa to take a "historic decision" and help bring Turkey, which has a Muslim majority, closer to the heart of Europe. "We are saddened that it was lost by one point."

The 2016 event will feature 24 countries for the first time, up from 16 in 2012, as France becomes the first country to stage the European Championship three times.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i think that's probably the best decision and personally with the amount of trouble with fans in Italy i would have ruled them out straight away, i know turkey has a big history too but I've not heard loads about violence there recently

Would have loved to see it in Turkey, but France was clearly the best candidate for an event such as this.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:54 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Reasonable decision .
I think turkish supporters are worse as italian .

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:50 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The problem for Michel Platini is that he appears to suffer what you might consider an unfortunate flaw for someone in his position. Every time he says he has a new idea the first reaction is to wince inside and wonder whether Uefa's president has the clear intention of becoming the biggest bug on football's manure pile.

The latest is another belter given that it means France, the team he used to grace, are to be shoehorned into next month's Euro 2016 qualifying draw, regardless of the fact it is actually their own tournament and they get a free pass come what may.

Let's walk through that one again. France will be included in the qualifying stages in a competition for which they qualify automatically. They will play all the games, it is just there will be no points at the end of them, and there will be an asterisk by their name that might as well say: ignore.

France were worried apparently that it might not be easy organising worthwhile friendlies in the buildup to the tournament. Platini has helped out and the new plan – with the official title of "centralised friendlies" – will be ticked off this week in Nyon.

Perhaps we should be getting used to it by now, this sense that they are making it up as they go along. At the same meeting, Uefa's bigwigs are expected to discuss another of their recent brainwaves, namely replacing international friendlies from 2018 with a competition called the Nations League, featuring nine different divisions, with relegation and promotion and prize money for the ultimate champions.

In fairness, at least that shows the basis of an understanding at the highest level that something needs to be done to revive interest in international football outside of the major competitions. Yet there is a delicious irony that it is actually Uefa themselves, by taking a sledgehammer to the usual European Championship format, whose fingerprints will be all over the next stage of deterioration.

The draw takes place in Nice on 23 February and, put bluntly, it is going to be the most boring qualification process in the history of the sport. France's involvement means there will be nine groups of six and the top two from each will qualify in line with the tournament's expansion from 16 to 24 teams, rather than just the one-team rule that made England's World Cup qualification a test of both endurance and nerve.

The third-placed team with the best record will also go through, though it is not exactly clear how that will work in France's group bearing in mind that the host nation's results do not count. The other eight teams in third position will go into the play-offs and that effectively makes a lot of the key matches the third-versus-fourth encounters.

To go back to Euro 2012, that would have meant the crunch fixtures included Armenia-Slovakia, Serbia-Slovenia, Romania-Belarus and Israel-Latvia. Under the same format, England's defeat to Croatia in 2008 would have meant a playoff and another chance for Steve McClaren to save his job. The new system is geared so much towards preserving the big football nations, tedium will quickly follow. The chances one could drop out will all but vanish, replaced by a plodding sense of inevitability. Roll up, roll up for 18 months of drudgery.

Uefa seem blissfully unaware about all of this and have arranged for the qualifiers to be played under a Week of Football format, with games running every day from Thursday to Tuesday. The idea is that there can be more live coverage on television rather than all the matches happening on the same night and, no doubt, Uefa think the public will embrace it. In reality, it is trying to put a gold cap on a tooth that needs pulling. More and more of these games are going to lose their competitive edge. Saturation coverage will become a turn-off.

Just consider the numbers. With 54 teams taking part, there will be a 43.4% chance of qualification once France are removed from the equation. Yet it will actually be considerably higher than that for any half-decent side bearing in mind there are at least a dozen nations who could have a black marker pen put through their names straight away. Take the Faroe Islands, Lichtenstein, Gibraltar, San Marino, Andorra, Malta, Kazakhstan, Cyprus, Luxembourg, Georgia, Lithuania and Moldova out of it, and there will be 41 teams competing for 23 places. The seeding system will help to ensure several Groups of Dearth.

A more legitimate debate could be had about raising the standard of tournament qualification, possibly bringing in a pre-qualifying process to avoid the non-contests that regularly occur against, say, San Marino, joint last on Fifa's global rankings, with 118 defeats from 124 games, 525 goals conceded and the grand total of 20 scored since they started playing international football in 1990. San Marino are approaching the 10th anniversary of their one and only win in almost a quarter of a century, a 1-0 defeat of Lichtenstein at the Stadio Olimpico in Serravalle, a stadium most notable for having a pine forest behind both goals.

As it is, Uefa have successfully ensured that the qualifying draw will simply be setting up the mundane anyway. As for the actual competition, the beauty of previous European Championships is its slick format, without having a clunky group stage, and there was absolutely nothing about the last event in Poland and Ukraine to suggest that fleshing it out would be an improvement. Now, there will be 51 games rather than 31, and only eight of the 24 teams will be eliminated after the group stage. Even the Uefa general secretary, Gianni Infantino, has described it as "not ideal," but that is an understatement when four of the third‑placed teams, from six groups of four, will still go into the first knockout round.

Back at Uefa headquarters, Platini will no doubt continue coming up with ways to repair a sport in which a lot of the damage is being caused by, well, Uefa. What a shame that somewhere along the line he stopped dealing in common sense. Not the biggest bug on the pile, perhaps, but one of them certainly, and all a grave disappointment given the intelligence he once showed within the perimeters of the football pitch.

Post subject: Euro champs 2016 - France
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:34 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
Bit early I know

But for the next month you can apply for tickets for only 25e for the early games. Take a chance on the match.

I just applied for QF tickets at Bordeaux cheapest at 45e.

http://www.uefa.com/

Post subject: Re: France 2016
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:39 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Me and a few mates are looking at getting a Villa somewhere in South of France for the first 10 days of the tournament to try and get to a few games.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:16 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
JSP wrote:
Me and a few mates are looking at getting a Villa somewhere in South of France for the first 10 days of the tournament to try and get to a few games.

you can book a region in this round. So you say what city, and they put you down for two matches I think.

Got till 10th July from memory

I put 4 tickets for the Bordeaux QF for the family. Not sure on what the chances are. I imagine the scouts are all over it.

We can drive there in about 1hr 20mins

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:49 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Yeah my mates on top of it all just waiting for him to tell us what we need to do.

Hopefully get tickets to 2 or 3 games not bothered about seeing England just want to go and enjoy it for a week or so.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:30 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Northern Ireland 3-0 up and on their way to France

Scotland currently beating Poland 2-1
Ireland currently beating Germany 1-0

As it stands

1 - Germany
2 - Ireland
3 - Poland
4 - Scotland

Not really sure on points but as it stands Scotland will need Ireland to beat Poland in Poland to stand a chance of going to France

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:45 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Poland 2-2 Scotland Full Time

Scotland miss out

Ireland 1-0 Germany Full Time

Germany 19 points
Poland 18 points
Ireland 18 points

Poland vs Ireland in final game a draw means Poland go through automatically.
Germany need 1 point to guarantee an automatic spot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:47 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

When's the Ireland Poland game?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:02 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Shane Long you fupping beautiful hunk of a man you. Thank you for bringing Auto quality that tiny bit closer!

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:37 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

borocooper wrote:
When's the Ireland Poland game?

Sunday

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:00 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Highscores: 8
JSP wrote:

If the draw is 2-2 or more, Ireland go through by dint of having scored more away goals than Poland.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:19 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

O-Dog wrote:
JSP wrote:

If the draw is 2-2 or more, Ireland go through by dint of having scored more away goals than Poland.

Haha love how complicated it is at this point.

Going to be tough for Ireland Lewendowski is on fire at the moment could have to take their chances in the playoffs.

I saw the last 15 minutes last night talk about putting bodies on the line and having a thou shall not pass attitude Germany had the whole team camped around the box but there was no way through.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:10 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Wales join the party despite losing 2-0 to Bosnia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:46 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

No Dutch at the Euros :coat:

Lost 3-1 to Czech Rebulic meaning they finished outside the top 3 in the group.

Sounds like serious problems in Dutch football more likely down to an average generation than anything else still seem to be relying on some old war horses youngsters maybe haven't quite stepped up and taken over yet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:09 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

You know , in my experience the dutch public don't care much .
This team is so much allienated from "normal" people we do not like them.
Think they made it and are special , yes young memphis is one of them.
I didn't even see the match , had belgium/israel instead . more fun to watch good skill and hard working. where as the dutch go slow and think they have a devine right to be at the EC .

Hope this is a wake up call but have my doubts .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next