AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: France 2016
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:05 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

ManMoreFyahYoo wrote:
JSP wrote:
Truly amazing trip so glad I did it wasn't really in amongst it in Nice as we stayed in a Villa about 20 minutes away but got to 2 games and watched France vs Switzerland in the fan park. Saw no trouble just loads of people having fun watching football just annoying I arrive home the day England play in Nice :laugh:

Bet you're glad now :p

Still would've been a good experience plus I'd be sitting in a Villa in the hills above Nice with a beer rather than arriving back at work to endless emails so it would be much easier to get over it.

Just annoyed I didn't bet on it as nothing was more inevitable than that happening I mean an England side being done by a long throw that's about as English as it gets.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:10 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Highscores: 8
Bye bye Rooney, Hart, Cahill.

We should be so lucky.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:24 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Germany forward Lukas Podolski has criticised the new 24-team format for Euro 2016, labelling it "stupid" due to the confusion it has created for players.

UEFA have added eight places to the tournament since it was last hosted in 2012, when only the top-two sides from the four groups advanced into the quarter-finals.

The expansion means four of the best third-placed teams joined the top-two from each of the six groups in the last 16 and Podolski believes sides were forced to wait too long to discover who their opponents were in the knockouts stages.

"The group stage was a little bit strange, because UEFA did some stupid things with the system. It's not about the smaller teams, it's about the decisions. Some teams waited three days in the camp for a decision," Podolski told reporters in France.

"You lose the first two games and you still have a chance to get through to the next round. So it is a bit confused but for us, it doesn't matter."

World champions Germany, who cruised past Slovakia 3-0 on Sunday, face Italy in a mouth-watering quarter-final showdown in Bordeaux on Saturday.

I like having more teams in the tournament but I sort of agree with Podolski in that it made the group stage very confusing and while it meant most of the last group matches still had something riding on them it made playing for draws ie defending a much more obvious tactic as 3 draws can get you through.

It also left teams who had finished 3rd in ground A,B,C,D waiting for the final round of matches to be played to learn their fate I think you'd rather know going into the final game what you need to do to get through.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:40 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Poland 1-1 Portugal

Lewendowski breaks his drought to give Poland the lead but Renato Sanches equalises for Portugal

Missed first 30 minutes but looks a good game so far end to end stuff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:44 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Portugal in the semi finals

5-3 on pens after extra time

Ronaldo hasn't even started playing well yet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:57 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Portugal haven't started playing well yet. I think they'll lose to Belgium. Ronaldo looks like a man with the world on his shoulders. Does he believe winning this cements his place in history ahead of Messi?

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:21 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I think they're playing ok so far defensively apart from the game vs Hungary they've been very solid not letting many goals in or giving away chances but up front they haven't really fired which is always the way with them Nani is having a good tournament and Renato Sanches has gone from giving them impact off the bench to now giving them that thrust from the start.

I didn't see Belguim's 2nd round game as I was at the airport waiting to fly home but I hear they were very impressive but they've just lost Vertonghen for the tournament.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:16 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Excellent stuff from Wales. Good luck to them

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:47 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

There goes my Portugal losing to Belgium theory.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:17 am 
Major General
Major General

Germany into semis .. after dreadful penalty shoot out ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:11 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

France 4-0 Iceland HT

France have ripped them apart after they got the first goal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:32 pm 
Major General
Major General

FT 5-2 .. Incredible achievement by Iceland to get this far ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:52 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Who do we think will win tonight?

I think Portugal will just about get it done they've got the experience in that team and I think the suspensions for Ramsey & Davies will unsettle them Ramsey has had an excellant tournament.

Portugal missing William Carvalho but Danillo will come in who's an ok replacement the big one for them will be the fitness of Pepe if he's injured they're in big trouble at the back.

Both teams want to play the same way they want to be allowed to sit deep defensively and spring counter attacks.

Portugal have had to play extra time twice in the last 2 rounds so chances are they're feeling it a bit more in terms of fitness but the energy that Renato Sanches now gives them will really help.

I think it's a very close game and it'll obviously be dominated by the Ronaldo vs Bale but I think it's a coin toss on who wins

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:26 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Highscores: 28
Really tough to call. I see it maybe going to penalties at 1-1. Portugal to win the pens.
Hope so anyway as I have them in the sweepstake!!
Also a little bored with the hyperbole that is Wales.

Can see France just about getting past Germany and then I think they have enough to beat either Portugal or Wales so I'm sticking with the French winning it as I'd said pre tournament.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:54 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I make Wales favourites and think they lost to Germany in the final.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:49 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

People here can't decide what is the biggest reason to support Wales . Ronaldo or Pepe.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:43 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Think the Welsh luck finally ran out last night without Ramsey they didn't really carry the same threat going forward whereas Portugal had the better quality at the front end of the pitch.

They've done great and the country should be proud of what they achieved but credit has to go to Portugal no one fancied them either pre tournament and they got very lucky in the group stages but they've been very good (but very boring) in the knockout rounds only letting in 1 goal in 3 games (2 of which went to extra time).

Hoping tonights game will be a classic we've not really had many of the big names going head to head so far in this tournament which I think will not be remembered as one of the greats on the pitch when we look back to it.

Schweinstieger is fit for the Germans but they are missing a number of key players whereas France are pretty much at full strength and with the home crowd have to be the favourites but they are up against imo the most impressive team in the tournament.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:57 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Ronaldo and Co are going to fluke the Euros, arent they ?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:06 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Think it's harsh to call it a fluke they should've beaten Iceland in the group but they got a bit lucky being one of the 3rd placed teams but they shut out the best team in the group stages Croatia and beat them on penalties they created more than enough chances to beat Poland in 90 or 120 minutes but ended up with pens and they were better than Wales.

France on the other hand were very lucky last night I only saw the second half but Germany had so many chances especially on set pieces but they just couldn't score if they defend like that in the final Portugal will win as you can't give their attackers those sort of chances especially on the set pieces where Portugal are very dangerous.

I'd quite like to see Ronaldo win a tournament he's had such a good career and deserves an international trophy he's carried that nation for almost a decade I know he's not everyones cup of tea but purely as a footballer he deserves a trophy he probably should've got that win back in 2004.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:17 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

agreed about Ronnie. Its high time he wins something on the international stage.

Twitter will go into meltdown with the numerous Messi vs Ronaldo debates, if Portugal do come up tops :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next