Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: England vs Malta
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:36 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Southampton), Joe Hart (Torino, on loan from Manchester City), Tom Heaton (Burnley)

Defenders: Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Michael Keane (Burnley), Danny Rose (Tottenham), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kyle Walker (Tottenham)

Midfielders: Eric Dier (Tottenham), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Michail Antonio (West Ham), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Dele Alli (Tottenham), Andros Townsend (Crystal Palace)

Strikers: Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Jamie Vardy (Leicester)

Jagielka has pulled out through injury

JSP's XI

Forster

Walker Smalling Stones Rose

Dier Henderson

Walcott Alli Rashford

Rooney

I think we have to start giving Forster matches to give him experience Hart cannot be undroppabable but I'd make it clear to Hart and to the media that he will start the game on Tuesday but you feel that Forster deserves a start.

Back 4 basically picks itself we only have 1 RB, if Shaw is fit Bertrand isn't in the squad so no point playing him and it's obvious the plan is Stones + 1 through qualification. Cahill has a minor injury plus his form is rotten so i'd give Smalling the start here and maybe look at Cahill in the 2nd match although personally the logical partnership based on recent form is Stones & Smalling.

Midfield this pair seems to be the choice going forward so give them games to learn how to play together.

The 3 behind are the in form 3 from club level Antonio can maybe make a claim for a start but I'd look to give him 30 mins off the bench.

Up top well dropping the captain is a needless ball ache to deal with in your first game so give him the game hope he scores some goals and gets his confidence up I don't think Sturridge & Vardy have done enough to say they deserve to start ahead of him for England. Although if you were picking the striker for this sort of match without bias you'd pick Sturridge as he is the best CF out of our options but you just can't build anything around him until he proves his fitness.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: England vs Malta
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:39 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Highscores: 28
As underwhelmed as I am by all this....
I can't argue too much with your side JSP. I would never play Henderson but there is no one else in the squad to play that position so that's that.
I would also play Rashford, Vardy and Sturridge (in that order) over Rooney. Then play either Antonio or Townsend in place of Rashford behind.

Post subject: Re: England vs Malta
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:58 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

It's just a lack of options really and to be fair to Henderson in the few games i've seen him with Liverpool this season he's been good but he never looks the same player for England probably because the games are slower and that doesn't really suit his style. Wilshere is the obvious alternative for that position but until he gets his fitness to a level where he can be relied on he can't be in the squad. Our centre midfield options are really average apart from Dier is their an English player playing CM for any of the top sides? The only one who might emerge this season is Ward-Prowse at Southampton if he can step up if Drinkwater keeps up his form from last season that's another.

The thing with Rooney is unless he's the number 9 he can't be in the team Delle Ali is so superior in this position and imo the number 9 position is up for grabs as Kane's form has been sh*te for England in the last 6 months if Sturridge proved he could stay fit I'd have him in as the first choice number 9 he's the most talented and I'd back him to be able to score against the top teams. Rooney playing up front in this game is just a convenience thing.