AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Ballon D'Or
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:27 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Real Madrid and Spain keeper Iker Casillas has been shortlisted for Fifa's 2014 World XI despite a poor World Cup and only 12 league games.

Chelsea's Thibaut Courtois is also on the list, along with Bayern Munich's Manuel Neuer, Barcelona's Claudio Bravo and Juventus's Gianluigi Buffon.

But Casillas is the surprising name, despite being in the team for five years from 2008 to 2012.

He only made two La Liga appearances in 2013-14 and a further 10 this season.

The 33-year-old, who did lift the Champions League with Real, was badly at fault for at least one goal in each of Spain's World Cup defeats by the Netherlands and Chile, as the holders exited after the group stage.

Courtois makes the list after helping Atletico Madrid to the Spanish title last season during his loan spell, then impressing for Belgium in their run to the World Cup quarter-finals.

Neuer, who was in the 2013 team, was in goal as Germany won the tournament in Brazil and also won the domestic double with his club.

The winner, voted for by 20,000 players worldwide, will be unveiled on 12 January at the Ballon d'Or awards. The shortlists for the other positions are yet to be announced.

I'm assuming the players didn't decide the shortlist?

How the hell can Casillas be on that list when he has hardly played and he's made some massive errors in the games he has played in.

Not saying DDG should be on the list he's not played in enough high profile games to get that sort of recognition yet but surely their must be a keeper who's had a better year than Casillas?

Shows you how this stuff works though it's all a big popularity contest but you'd think being number 1 and POTY at Man Utd might get you on a short list not that it matters as the correct answer is Manuel Neuer.

Anyone who doesn't vote for Neuer shouldn't be allowed to vote again as they're obviously not taking it seriously

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:09 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Real Madrid have hit out at Uefa president Michel Platini for suggesting the Ballon d’Or should go to a member of Germany’s World Cup-winning squad rather than Cristiano Ronaldo.

Ronaldo was awarded the accolade in 2013 and is favourite to retain the honour after helping Real to a 10th European title, with four-time former winner Lionel Messi also in contention after another prolific season for Barcelona and having helped Argentina to the World Cup final.

Platini said earlier this week, though, that the winner should be “a world champion” - Mario Goetze, Toni Kroos, Philipp Lahm, Thomas Muller, Manuel Neuer and Bastian Schweinsteiger have been short-listed from Germany’s triumphant squad - and that has not gone down well in the Spanish capital.

Real have accused the Frenchman of impartiality and reminded him that it is an individual rather than a collective prize.

A statement from the European champions on Friday read: “In view of the declarations made by the president of Uefa, Michel Platini, concerning the winner of the Ballon d’Or, Real Madrid CF would like to outline:

“Firstly, its surprise at the repeated declarations regarding his personal preferences over the choice of the winner of the Ballon d’Or, particularly given that he is the head of European football’s principal body, where our understanding is that the strictest impartiality should prevail.

“Secondly, the Ballon d’Or is an individual rather than collective prize which is awarded annually to the best player in the world, and we believe that, in order to maintain its prestige, those who participate in the vote should take into account exclusively the individual professional achievements of the players.”

It added: “Finally, we believe that Cristiano Ronaldo has without doubt had his best ever professional year individually, and has claimed the Champions League, the Golden Shoe and the record for the highest goalscorer in an edition of the Champions League, as well as the Copa del Rey and the top-scorer award in La Liga.

“In the current season, he has won the European Super Cup, scoring both goals in the match, and is achieving spectacular figures such as his 20 goals in the first 12 matchdays of La Liga, which confirm his great moment of form and ensure that, more than ever, he is deserving of the Ballon d’Or.”

Individual awards are pointless but it if they have to exist then this year it belongs to Ronaldo he is consistently brilliant in almost every game he plays its a ridiculous standard of play over a sustained period. It's got to the point where him scoring 1 goal in a game is considered average

Germany won the World Cup because they are the best team a collection of players not reliant on 1 man at different times different people stepped up to get the job done. Muller, Neuer, Hummels, Lahm, Schweinstieger all stepped up at different times and lead the team to make sure the team won

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:09 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Ronaldo wins for the 2nd year in a row

Coach of the year Joachim Lowe

Goal of the year James Rodriguez

Fifpro team of 2014

Neuer

Lahm David Luiz Ramos Thiage Silva

Iniesta Kroos Di Maria

Ronaldo Messi Robben

How the f is David Luiz in that team the only logic I have is that footballers felt sorry for him and voted out of pity.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:15 pm 
Major General
Major General

Ronaldo My friend :D :fonz: :fonz: :fonz: :fonz: L

Last 7 Years Winner :

2008 : Ronaldo
2009 :Messi
2010 :Messi
2011 : Messi
2012 : Messi
2013 : Ronaldo
2014 : Ronaldo

I believe he is on course for straight 3rd after explosive start to season ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:32 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Not done on seasons though it's calendar year and his is off to a bad start but it'll be decided in 2015 on who performs big in the knockout rounds of CL matches.

I'd be surprised if the 2015 winner doesn't come from the team that wins the CL if Munich win it I can see some big noises being made for Lahm and possibly Neuer.

Ronaldo is a bit of a kn*b at times but you can't begrudge him his rewards he works. His nuts off to be the best he can be and he had to put up with everyone telling him Messi was better than him. For me that debate is wide open again.

They are the modern day Pele vs Maradona argument except they are so much easier to compare because they both played in the same era

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:08 pm 
Major General
Major General

oh damn almost forgot that ...

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:27 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Results

Ronaldo 37.66%
Messi 15.76%
Neuer 15.72%
Other 30.86%

Landslide victory for Ronaldo but surprised it was so close for 2nd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:03 pm 
Major General
Major General

Bit of tide turning .. In zurich at Gala people booed and whistled at Messi arrival but Ronaldo was given a good warm welcome ..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:10 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho says the Ballon d'Or prize awarded to the world's best footballer has a negative impact on world football.

The Portuguese said he agrees with Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger that football is concentrating too much on individuals instead of the team.

"He is against the Ballon d'Or and I think he's right," Mourinho, 52, said.

"In this moment football is losing a little bit the concept of the team to focus more on the individual."

Mourinho, who has won seven league titles in four different countries and the Champions League twice, told the Daily Telegraph that it is the group that wins, not the individual.

He said: "For me, football is collective. The individual is welcome if you want to make our group better. But you have to work for us, [it's] not [a case that] we have to work for you.

"When the top player arrives, the team is already there. It's not him who comes to discover the team, like Columbus discovering America. No, no, you are coming now to help us be better."

Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo won the 2014 Ballon d'Or ahead of Barcelona's Lionel Messi and Bayern Munich's Manuel Neuer.

Mourinho also revealed his first job was as a teacher working with children with Down's syndrome and mental disabilities, a time when he discovered the importance of establishing relationships.

"I wasn't technically ready to help these kids," he said. "And I had success only because of one thing, the emotional relation that was established with them.

"I did little miracles only because of the relationship. Affection, touch, empathy - only because of that."

Now he uses that experience when coaching some of the world's best players.

He said: "Of course you need the knowledge, the capacity to analyse things. But the centre of everything is the relationship, and empathy, not only with the individual but in the team."

I have to say I agree with him the cult of individual in football is getting out of control.

The world cup proved the point really Germany didn't have one stand out player but they have by far the best team.

These outstanding individualy talents like Messi, Ronaldo or Suarez are allowed to be brilliant by the other 10 players on their team.

The individual awards used to be a bit of a bonus at the end of the season but now it seems like it's talked about as being as important as the team prizes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:09 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
He said this today. But last week he said Hazard deserves to win it. He is starting the Hazard crusade early.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:47 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

idontfeardeath wrote:
He said this today. But last week he said Hazard deserves to win it. He is starting the Hazard crusade early.

Until Ronaldo & Messi stop banging in 50 goals a season every season that whole thing is a closed shop.

Hazard is very good but to stand a chance on that award he needs to dominate games in the knockout rounds of Europe or have a big international tournament that is what gets you votes.

Ronaldo/Messi are in a league of their own when it comes to individual talent they are basically playing their own version of the game now and currently no one can even get close to them but Hazard is towards the top end of the list of other guys but until those 2 drop from their current standards it's not even a contest.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:57 pm 
Major General
Major General

It will be b/w ronaldo messi until they hang up boot .. Admit it deal with it ...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:57 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The Barcelona pair Lionel Messi and Neymar will be up against Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo in the vote to be named the Ballon d’Or 2015 winner.

Ronaldo has won the world’s top player award for the last two years after ending Messi’s four-year winning streak, while Neymar makes the shortlist for the first time. The winner will be announced at a gala in Zurich on 11 January when a series of other awards are handed out.

Messi is the odds-on favourite to win his fifth Ballon d’Or and Ronaldo feels there is no reason to expect an upset. “To be honest I think Messi is going to win this year because this kind of trophy, it depends on votes,” the Portugal international said earlier this month. “You win competitions, you win the Champions League you win the league in terms of individual. I did probably the best season of my career which is good and I was the highest scorer in Europe [but] it’s all about votes. It is difficult and to be honest I am not very worried about that because as I said many times, I never thought I would win three times to be honest.”

Neymar scored twice as Barcelona beat Real Sociedad on Saturday, and afterwards spoke of his pride at being included among the contenders. “I have never played football to be the best player in the world, or to win the Ballon d’Or,” said the Brazil forward. “I’ve always just played with the idea of continually getting better, to always surpass my goals, to always be better, play better, train better. To be the best in the world is the direct result of all of this work. If today I am being spoken of in such terms, it is a clear sign that what I am doing is working.”

The men’s world coach of the year shortlist features Chile’s Copa América winner Jorge Sampaoli, alongside Bayern Munich’s Pep Guardiola and Barcelona’s Luis Enrique.

The women’s world player of the year shortlist is headed by the American World Cup winner Carli Lloyd, Aya Miyama (Japan) and Celia Sasic (Germany). England’s Mark Sampson makes the women’s football coach of the year shortlist, alongside Jill Ellis (US) and Norio Sasak (Japan).

Three finalists for the Puskás Award have also been announced, with Fleetwood Town’s David Ball missing out. The shortlist is: Alessandro Florenzi for Roma against Barcelona in September, Wendell Lira for Atlético GO v Goianesia in March, and Messi for Barça v Athletic Bilbao in May’s Copa del Rey final.

Personally I'd like to see Neymar win it I think it's been a real break out year for him but Messi will probably take it even though he's missed 2 months with injury leading Barca to the treble last season probably makes him a show in.

Ronaldo lucky to make the list in many opinion pieces but he has the most goals in 2015 and was top scorer in last seasons CL as well as this seasons so hard to argue with that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:09 am 
Major General
Major General

Not sure why so much fuss over Ronaldo inclusion ..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:31 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Who wins it then?

57 goals in 2015 means Ronaldo was the top goalscorer
26 assist means Messi got most assist
Barcelona took the trophies
Is it a straight fight between them two or is Neymar a serious part of the discussion?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:49 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Fifpro team of the year

Neuer

Alves Silva Ramos Marcelo

Iniesta Modric Pogba

Neymar Ronaldo Messi

Think I saw this out up somewhere before.

But 8 players from La Liga. 1 from Seria A, Ligue 1 and Bundesliga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:54 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Messi wins

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:57 pm 
Major General
Major General

8 players from laliga because its the best league in the world .. now dont cry over it ..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:13 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

pakrooney wrote:
8 players from laliga because its the best league in the world .. now dont cry over it ..

Whose crying over what? Please highlight any example of anyone crying about the 3 team league not being a great league to watch? Crying over it would be something like the below. Except I'll be factual.

It contains two of the best teams in world football. In fact in contains two of the best teams ever created. That doesn't make it a great league though. It isn't a great league two teams combined to get 8 players in it. There were no players from the other 18 clubs. A great league or two great sides?

The fact is you started this season pretty much knowing Barcelona were going to win it. You would have probably given me 100/1 on anyone outside of Barcelona Madrid or Atletico winning it.

Would you be willing to do that in the English league? Give me 100/1 on anyone outside of Man City/Chelsea/Arsenal (Last seasons top 3)

I'd prefer to watch the championship for excitement than sit there watching Madrid beating teams 10-2

It's actually a league in a whole lot of danger from self imploding. Last season Elche were relegated when finishing 13th. There are a number of clubs in the top division in danger this season of going the same way. If they can't sort their football finances out they will find themselves with a 6 team top flight division. Will you still call it the greatest league?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:36 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

It was the UEFA.com team of the year looking at it only differences were Alaba over Marcelo & James over Modric.

Hard to argue with the results Messi has beaten Ronaldo this year although personally I'd have gone Neymar I think he's been the best player over the calendar year Messi missed 2 months with injury and Ronaldo form has dipped a little. I think while Messi was out Neymar really stepped up and he's a pure entertainer with his tricks

As for team of the year when you have a team that does the treble they will always dominate it plus you chuck in the superstars at Madrid and it's not that surprising that La Liga dominates but is it a good league when the top 2 can put 4 or 5 past half the teams in the league?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next