AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Legendary Ronaldo Thread
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:46 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Remember that kid who come to United and used to let the ball bounce off of his head?

PS: what's other?

But with age my hopes have faded

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:59 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
His debut, I nicked named him "my little pony" because my wife thought his legs were like a new born fowl, a bit all over the place.

Massive improvement over a short period time while at united. Amazing player.

Ronaldo and Messi... unbelievable really.

Although I do believe there are more easy games in Spain than the prem to score a shed load of goals.

Shearer in Spain would have really made a name for himself.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:38 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

The mans ridiculous him and Messi have changed the stats game for everyone in the modern era the goal a game records at this level are almost unheard of until you go back to players like Gerd Muller. You used to get players like Larsson or Jardel banging in a goal a game in the 90's in second rate leagues but it's something like 7 seasons in a row he's hit 50+ club goals take another great goalscorer like Ruud Van Nistelrooy or Alan Shearer not sure they ever managed that once.

On the Shearer scoring a hat full in Spain not sure that's totally true no doubt he'd score plenty but he was the perfect English CF at the time in English football which in the 90's wasn't the big challenge it was now.

I'm not sure it is necessarily easier to score in Spain I just think he plays for a "super team" that has been built at a cost of £1bn that would batter most teams in any league every week. If you put that Madrid team in the PL I'd fancy them to beat most teams by 3 or 4 goals every week they are that good especially at home and Ronaldo would have a field day against them just like he does in Spain. I actually think English teams are pretty poor at defending that's why they keep getting knocked out in Europe because we can't defend we let in so many cheap goals at that level compared to the era we dominated from 2005-2012 all these teams success was built on a solid defence. Arsenal, Utd, Liverpool & Chelsea all reached finals because they were very very tough to score against and could shut out most teams and nick the tie by the odd goal.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:32 am 
Major General
Major General

Anil on head JSP :thumbup:

Sheaerer .. Not even fit enough ..good enough to be in this discussion .. :doh:

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:07 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Highscores: 28
pakrooney wrote:

You're not good enough to be in this discussion. Shearer is the Premier League's all time top scorer and possibly best striker so of course he deserves to be compared to leading scorers in other countries.
Is he as good as Ronaldo? No. Would he have scored more goals in Spain? Not sure, interesting question though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:45 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

My only comment on Shearer would be that in the 90's when Shearer was at his peak Spain wasn't that strong either the Italian league was the place to be that was the top dog league before the PL really started to boom.

Shearer would've got sent off a lot in Spain and I'm not sure his style of play would've seen him thrive in that league but he'd have still been very good but he suited a direct style of play get the ball forward to him quickly which isn't really the Spanish style of play it's always been a little bit slower in build up especially back then.

It's a pointless comparison anyway there's no way to prove it either way all you can say is Ronaldo has been a goalscoring machine in the PL, La Liga, Champions League and his international record isn't bad either whereas Shearer only proved himself in one country.

Shearer's record could stand for a very long time as it would take any player a long time to get to 260 league goals in England and I think it would only be beaten by an English player as he'd need to play his whole career in England to do it. Rooney is still 89 league goals away from his record!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:28 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Lineker was superb, nearly a goal every two games for Barca. Shearer was better.

There seems to be some misunderstanding here. I am in no way saying Shearer is in the same bracket as Ronaldo and Messi, apart from Maradona and maybe Best no one is.

But Shearer would score a hatfull of goals if he was in the current Madrid side. Maybe memories are a bit foggy, he may be tw@t but he was top drawer, left foot, right foot, head, close range, long range, one on one, penalties, he had it all. Why he went to play for Newcastle... :doh:

I don't think the division is very competitive, ok the top two teams in the league are head and shoulders above anything in the prem. But our lower teams are way more competitive. So for me, La liga has the quality in the top few teams but the prem has the entertainment, literally anything could happen.

I also don't agree that the defending is that bad in our league, that is just junk press talk. It's more in Europe, we can't adapt our games to suit the opponents. We don't seem to be able to adjust playing styles or formations to suit the games. And we also don't seem to realise, in Europe, a draw away from home is ok.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:21 pm 
Major General
Major General

MIG wrote:
pakrooney wrote:

You're not good enough to be in this discussion.

Spice :lol:

He wouldnt even come intop top 3/5 strikers of 1990`s .. First he needed to be compared to players from his era .. then discuss him among all time greats .. He was good ..better than Rooney for me ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:50 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

pakrooney wrote:
MIG wrote:
pakrooney wrote:

You're not good enough to be in this discussion.

Spice :lol:

He wouldnt even come intop top 3/5 strikers of 1990`s .. First he needed to be compared to players from his era .. then discuss him among all time greats .. He was good ..better than Rooney for me ..

Which 5 strikers of his era were better then?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:49 pm 
Major General
Major General

Romario / Ronaldo / batisbuta / baggio / Van bastan / Raul / Del piero / Rivaldo ..i would have totti ahead of shearer although he played most carrer in false 9 position .. He will come in top 10 but no way in top 5 ..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:14 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

If you're talking Dutch strikers from Shearer era then you're talking Bergkamp/Kluivert maybe stretch as far as RvN but Van Bastan was done before Shearer started the other guys on your list are fair enough shouts though.

It will always be hard to judge Shearer as at his best he never played for a European great had he signed for Utd instead of Newcastle he might have had a much bigger reputation in Europe/Rest of World.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:17 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Not sure I'd count Van Basten and Romario as the same era.. Shearer was moving to Newcastle at the times those were on their way down..

Edit
JSP beat me to that point.

Not sure I'd argue much with the others. But Shearer was fantastic.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:45 am 
Major General
Major General

JSP wrote:
If you're talking Dutch strikers from Shearer era then you're talking Bergkamp/Kluivert maybe stretch as far as RvN but Van Bastan was done before Shearer started the other guys on your list are fair enough shouts though

borocooper wrote:
Not sure I'd count Van Basten and Romario as the same era.. Shearer was moving to Newcastle at the times those were on their way down...

I was referring to 90`s strikers. I think Van basten played for Milan prior to WC 1994 but im not sure.

Dont put kluivert on that list he was decent-ish bit like Rooney used to have have 1-2 good moments in game and shit for most 90 mins .. Bergkamp / RVN were far far better than him and deserve to be on list ..

IMO the best undisputed premier league striker ever is Henry followed by pack of RVN Bergkemp Shearer ..

Dont get me wrong Shearer was very good easily best English striker of last 2 decades ..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:12 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Ok, I'm not going to count Van Basten or Romario (for reasons others have already stated) and I will not include Ronaldo because he would be top of the list for me, so isn't really in the discussion.

Of course its very hard to argue who is better than who, especially as they all played in different leagues etc, but one argument I can make is games to goals ratio. Here are all the others you mentioned in a list, in order.

Batistuta - 1.60 games per goal.
Shearer - 1.94 games per goal.
Rivaldo - 2.18 games per goal.
Baggio - 2.21 games per goal.
Raul - 2.40 games per goal.
Del Pierro - 2.46 games per goal.
Totti - 2.49 games per goal.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:36 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Can we just all agree that Shearer was very good but he's not in Ronaldo's class (either of them)

Anyway old Cristiano is having a bit of a goal drought he hasn't scored in 4 la liga matches :ohmy:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:45 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I think we all agree on that already. I feel quite strongly that Shearer deserves more recognition than he gets and should be above several of the players Pak mentioned.
Maybe its the wrong thread but I thought you'd want some discussion/debate on here not trying to stop it seeing how everyones been talking about how quiet it is now. Anyway...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:17 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Cristiano Ronaldo has received a record fourth Golden Boot after leading all scorers in Europe’s domestic leagues last season.

The Real Madrid forward scored 48 goals in 35 Spanish league games to claim his third Golden Boot with the Bernabéu club. His other award came with Manchester United in 2007-08. No other player has won four.

Ronaldo was accompanied at the awards ceremony by his mother, his son, the Madrid coach Rafa Benítez, club president Florentino Pérez and the Portuguese ambassador to Spain.

The 30-year-old Ronaldo became Madrid’s all-time leading scorer in September with 324 goals, overtaking Raúl.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:04 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Cristiano Ronaldo says he hopes to continue playing until he is 40, and wants to spend the rest of his career at Real Madrid, “the best club in the world”.

The Portugal captain, 30 – speaking as he picked up his fourth Golden Boot award in Madrid – provoked more speculation over a possible return to Manchester United last month by saying that “nobody knows what will happen next year”. However, after receiving the award for his 48 goals in 35 Spanish league games last season, he renewed his commitment to his current club.

“I want to win more. I still feel good, I feel young,” Ronaldo told Marca. “I am 30 and I want to play five or six more years, and in that time I want to do things right and maintain the level of recent seasons. I know that it gets harder all the time, but in my head I think it’s possible.

“I want to win and I’m at the best club in the world. Obviously I have a contract up to 33, and as I have said many times my dream was to finish here at Real Madrid, because I feel good, I feel useful, and I want to continue.

“At the moment I don’t feel any different from when I was 25. Many people say that from 30 you start to decline, but I don’t share that view – if you look after yourself, you train well, you do not grow old overnight, it happens slowly. If you look after yourself and do things right, you can reach 40. I have the desire and motivation to continue.

Asked who his main competition is for this season’s Golden Boot, with Lionel Messi’s knee injury potentially hampering his chances, Ronaldo said: “There are many great forwards in Europe, in many leagues, the English, the German … Rooney, Agüero, Lewandowski, Neymar, Benzema is also very good. Luis Suárez again. There are great players and I feel privileged to have won it four times. But I want to keep winning more. We will see what happens this year.

“If I end the season with the same rate of scoring per game as now, I would take that. Twelve games and 10 goals is perfect. Do the maths … Cristiano Ronaldo would sign up for that right now. For sure.

“Since I came here I had to think big because Real Madrid is the biggest club in the world. This is a beautiful moment in my sporting life. Winning the fourth Golden Boot is an honour and a great privilege … but I always look for more. I want the fifth Boot, the sixth.”

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:08 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

whats going on with Bale's agent and Ronaldo and Mendes? I must have missed something.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:16 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Mr Carrot wrote:
whats going on with Bale's agent and Ronaldo and Mendes? I must have missed something.

Bales agent did an interview with the guardian where he said a few things about them being different types of people. Apparently Ronaldo didn't take too kindly to what was said (something about posing in his underwear) Bale has apologised but is apparently considering dropping his agent over it.

The article I think is on the football unlimited board

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105  Next