AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 101, 102, 103, 104, 105
 Post subject: Re: The Legendary Ronaldo Thread
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:12 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I do wonder with him bit like us with RvN some would argue that the team didn't win trophies because everything was set up for him and only him to score whereas others would point to the fact that he never really had a great team around him and he carried us through some rocky times.

Ronaldo has had to compete with the best club side of the last 10 years despite what Madrid spend they're always out gunned because Barca had the better players already and have been able to beat them to the very top targets like Neymar who both of them wanted.

People say he's selfish and not a team player yes he takes on a lot of shots when he could pass but when the obvious pass is there he often supplies his team mates with tap ins.

This season he's had to take a lot of flack because Bale/Benzema have both had injuries and Madrid have clearly messed up their signings over the last few years which has left the squad in a mess.

I don't understand why everyone is so desperate to go their as the fans just seem like a complete nightmare they're never happy

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:36 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
i can understand why people of our age and younger want to go there. We remember the Madrid side that contained Zidane Figo Beckham Ronaldo Raul and whilst it wasn't great in terms of success it was the stuff dreams were made of in terms of their line up. They sell the Madrid dream well and pay fantastic wages.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:14 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

It's all glamour and hype though which I guess you sort of see as you get older.

Yes they had the original Galacticos but was it really a success? They won a european cup just before that influx of players which started with Figo they then won it again the year they signed Zidane in 2002 but they then went over 10 years without reaching a final there was even a run of 4 or 5 seasons where they didn't get past the last 16 IIRC. Even the modern era Galactico has struggled they've reached 1 final which they were very lucky to win and have only managed 1 league title over the last 10 years they've only won the league 3 times I think and twice of them were while Perez was away from the club.

It just seems to me like no one ever bothers to thank you for what you've done at that club as soon as you're no use they spit you out and move on to the next guy Di Maria for example was bombed out because after 3 years good service he wanted a new contract with a pay increase pretty sure similar happened to Ozil. Very few players actually get a second contract at Madrid most players do 2-3 seasons and thats it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:21 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
I think Barca have very much overtaken Madrid as the glamour club now.

I don't really understand the pull Madrid have now. Yes they have a rich history, but in terms of recent history their record of success is appalling.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:23 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

It's just that thing most kids grow up hearing Madrid is the best team in the world and especially in South American countries they're viewed as the biggest and best club in the world they're certainly the richest club in terms of revenue and they portray themselves as the biggest club 10 European Cups unveiling players in front of 1,000's of fans etc.

If you was Paul Pogba for example and your agent said you can pick any team in the world to play in right now you'd pick Barcelona looks like great fun playing for that team plus they are winning everything. The only problem Barca have at the moment is servicing the wage bill it's out of control and there will come a point where they can't squeeze it any further and something will have to give.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:16 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Real Madrid have tried to find a buyer for Cristiano Ronaldo all season, and now have a decision to make as to whether to offer him a new contract, says Guillem Balague.

Ronaldo's contract runs out in the summer of 2018, and the Portuguese forward has been constantly linked with a move away from the Bernabeu in the British and Spanish press.

He became Real's all-time leading goalscorer in October, but Balague revealed in his weekly Sky Sports Q&A session that the La Liga side have received no offers, despite links to PSG and Manchester United.

Balague said: "Real Madrid has tried all season to find a club that would buy him. Ronaldo has also toyed with the idea, no argument about it.

"But no club, not Manchester United, who have never been that interested, and not PSG, who have met the player five times but consider him still too expensive, have put an offer on the table.

"So, Real, with the FIFA ban affecting their decisions, have got two options. They either sell him cheaply, or renew his contract. Real offered two more years, but he wants three.

"What I see is a player that physically has peaked but is still the best goalscorer ever. The problem is he affects other players' decisions.

"For instance, would Gareth Bale want to be at Real another two years with Ronaldo next to him? Is Robert Lewandowski thinking about a move to Real Madrid because of the potential continuity of Ronaldo?"

Ronaldo has scored 47 goals in 44 appearances in all competitions for the club this season, and suffered a thigh muscle injury in the 3-0 win over Villarreal on Wednesday.

Real Madrid have given no indication if he will be fit for their Champions League clash with Manchester City on Tuesday, but Balague says he should have recovered for the crucial semi-final first-leg clash, and insists the 31-year-old should manage his playing time so that he is fit for the entire season.

"Cristiano has got muscle tiredness. That means there is no tear and that he will miss the Rayo game on Saturday but will be OK for Man City.

"Sergio Ramos said last night he should start thinking of not playing every single minute. He is not superman and has peaked physically but still is the best goalscorer ever. And an ambitious so and so.

"Zidane has admitted it is very difficult to tell him not to play, but monsieur, that is your job if you want him to be at his best at the end of the season."

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:34 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Cristiano Ronaldo has urged Real Madrid to renew his contract and says he wants to see out the remainder of his career in the Spanish capital.

Ronaldo's immediate future at Real has been in doubt all season, with speculation growing throughout the year that he was plotting a move to Paris Saint-Germain, but the Portuguese has now made it clear he wants to stay at the club.

"Real Madrid would be making a smart decision if they offered me a new contract," Ronaldo told Spanish television programme La Sexta on Wednesday.

"I want to stay here, there have been good moments and bad moments. Four years ago I wasn't happy here, but now I am and I can't think of a better club to be at than Real Madrid, there's no team like it. The other clubs can forget it."

Ronaldo overtook Raul as Real's all-time top scorer earlier this season and on Saturday will be hoping to inspire the team to their 11th European Cup success when they take on Atletico Madrid in the Champions League final in Milan.

Ronaldo signed a contract extension with Real in 2013 keeping him at the club until 2018.

A year before penning the new deal Ronaldo declared in a post-match interview that he was "sad" at Real Madrid and he recalled that moment on Wednesday, while reiterating he wanted to stay.

"I've had good moments, and bad ones. That's life. Four years ago I wasn't happy because I didn't like certain things that were happening," he said.

"But now I really am happy and I want to stay at this club because I don't see any club which is better than Real Madrid. If you weigh everything up, there's nowhere better."

Last year Spanish media speculated that Ronaldo was pushing for a move to PSG after a jovial exchange with their coach Laurent Blanc when Real played the Ligue 1 side.

However, Ronaldo said on Wednesday he was not interested in joining the French champions.

"Everyone should just forget about it. Because Real Madrid is the best," he said.

Will be interesting to see how Madrid play this one you would imagine the solution to this is Madrid extend his deal but I guess it will depend on what Ronaldo & his agent are demanding as I think we've seen this season he's still an incredible player BUT for how long I think we've seen signs that things are slowing down.

PSG obviously want him but it sounds like he's not interested but if Madrid don't play ball on the deal he might change his mind I think that is the logical next destination for him I don't see a return to Man Utd he's been there, done that, got the T-Shirt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:59 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Sir Alex Ferguson has labelled Cristiano Ronaldo as the "special footballer" of his generation.

Ronaldo, watched by Ferguson, finally broke his trophy duck on the international stage, helping Portugal win Euro 2016 last Sunday.

The Real Madrid forward, who is favourite to win the 2016 FIFA Ballon d'Or, only lasted 25 minutes of the final, coming off injured following a strong challenge but re-appeared on the sidelines during extra-time to help rally his team-mates as they beat France 1-0 at the Stade de France.

And Ferguson, who brought Ronaldo to Old Trafford in 2003, insists it is the 31-year-old's desire to that makes him the best of his generation.

"He has an incredible desire for football, Cristiano is looking forward to each workout," Ferguson told Bild. "He always wants to be better, to win. He especially loves these big games.

"During my time at Manchester United, Cristiano was the player who developed the most. Through much hard work.

"He constantly worked on his shooting technique, with the right, left, his heading ability, his bounce. His performance improvement is incredible. And what is remarkable, today's football is so athletic, so fast.

"Usually top players can only play for about five or six years at the highest level, then it's over," Ferguson added. "Cristiano has been doing this for over 10 years. That makes him so exceptional.

"Every generation has its special footballer, Cristiano is currently."

Ronaldo winning the Euros with Portugal obviously gives him a new upper hand on Messi in their saga personally I don't but into the international football being the bench mark thing the only thing it does it is takes the 2 superstars out of their club comfort zones.

I don't think you can say Portugal won the Euros because of Ronaldo he played his part with goals at key times when they were going out against Hungary and in the semi final vs Wales but he shared that limelight with a number of players.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:03 am 
Major General
Major General

Imo Nani had goof tournament too .. They had Pepe at back Renato in midfield and Nani Ronaldo going forward that won them the Euro .. but its collective effort...

Messi has whole lot of world class talent surrounding him in Argentine setup but he hasnt won anything while for me Ronaldo has been carrying this team for decade and his sole efforts cannot be discarded... He deserves it ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:37 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Argentina is flooded with attacking talents that they've tried to squeeze into a team but defensively they've not had the greatest options.

Portugal are just one of those teams that have always been tough to beat for a big nation they have no problem defending in numbers and hitting on counters it's their style and we've seen in the last few years it's a very effective one

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:33 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Cristiano Ronaldo has been named Uefa's Best Player in Europe for the second time after winning the Champions League and Euro 2016 last season.

The Real Madrid forward beat team-mate Gareth Bale and Atletico Madrid striker Antoine Griezmann in the voting.

Ronaldo, 31, scored the winning penalty for Real in the Champions League final against Atletico and captained Portugal to Euro 2016 glory in July.

Lyon and Norway striker Ada Hegerberg won the women's award.

She beat France's Amandine Henry and Germany's Dzsenifer Marozsan, after winning the Women's Champions League and a French league and cup double with Lyon.

Shortlist of 3 was Ronaldo, Bale & Griezzman obviously heavily weighted towards European players because of the Euros this year because it seems ridiculous not having Suarez on the list for last season not surprising Messi wasn't on it as he missed quite a bit of last season.

Good to see someone like Griezmann getting recognition though

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:10 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Cristiano Ronaldo has committed his future to Real Madrid by agreeing a new contract extension that will see him remain with the club until June 2021.

The 31-year-old's current deal ends in June 2018 but the Portuguese forward will sign a new contract on Monday that will end when he is 36.

It has been reported that Ronaldo's weekly wage will remain at around £365,000.

He has scored 369 goals since joining from Manchester United in 2009.

That transfer ban couldn't have been timed better for him & Bale.

With all these new deals the wage bill must have gone through the roof at Madrid this year.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:18 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Hat Trick away against Atletico Madrid last night

How long can he keep this up the guys a machine I miss him so much :(

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:53 pm 
Major General
Major General

He can for next year or 2 .. He was injured since beginning of season and was smart enough not to put too much work on his knee ligament .. Was reading the other day Modric said Ronaldo still not 100% but he is getting there now ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:12 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Think he needs the team to help him more than he used to with his goals he's not going to score those long mazy dribble goals playing from wide anymore he's much more reliant on his team to get the ball up the field to him in danger positions which is fair enough the guys 31.

The easiest thing to say about his and Messi's greatness is that they've made scoring a hat trick seem normal behaviour top strikers used to get 1 maybe 2 in a season if you were lucky these two seem to be getting 4 or 5 a season. When they eventually retire they've set the bar so high for the next generation of players to match in terms of stats you just can't imagine anyone doing what they do as consistently as they do over a 10 year period like they've basically done

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:03 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Kaveh Solhekol ‏@SkyKaveh
Cristiano Ronaldo now making more money than 7-time Euro cup winners AC Milan. Last year Ronaldo made £190m. AC Milan turnover was £167m

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:10 am 
Major General
Major General

Thats insane amount of money but good thing is he doesl hell lot of charity work IIRC he lead anong the sports athelete.

Nike is rumoured to be give him life time 24million annum ambassador contract like Lebron ..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:54 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Let's hope he's paying his tax properly on that :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:22 pm 
Major General
Major General

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:22 am 
Major General
Major General

Scored his 40th Madrid Hatrick :lol: :laugh: .. insane ...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 101, 102, 103, 104, 105