AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gareth Bale: Monkey Magic
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:18 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

There is a distinct difference between dodging a tackle in central midfield and collapsing after you knock the ball past a keeper which is what put the spotlight back on him.

That is the sort of diving that has to be stopped as it's pathetic and this is not a bias Rooney is pretty untouchable when it comes to this sort of dive.

As soon as a striker beats the keeper to the ball now it doesn't matter where he kicks the ball he's going to hit the deck.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:50 am 
AGR Poster Of The Year
AGR Poster Of The Year

Gareth Bale has revealed he turned down the chance to join Manchester United, fearing he may have struggled to nail down a regular start.

After a tough transition to life in the Premier League following his 2007 move from Southampton, Bale has blossomed and is now one of the most talked about players in world football.

He is a key figure for Spurs and has attracted interest from the likes of Barcelona and AC Milan, but he could have been gracing the biggest stage in English football had he answered Sir Alex Ferguson's call in the positive.

"Man United were interested in me but I wanted to play first-team football," Bale told Match of the Day magazine. "I thought I had a better chance of getting that at Tottenham. The manager at the time, Martin Jol, told me he wanted me to go straight into the first team."

Bale is a key figure for Wales but he could have been pulling on an England shirt.

"That was an emotional debut," he said of his 2006 international bow against Trinidad & Tobago. "When I came on I knew I was the youngest ever Wales international, at the age of 16. I'm a proud Welshman - that's why I didn't choose to play for England. I could have, but I'd rather be Welsh!"

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:55 am 
AGR Poster Of The Year
AGR Poster Of The Year

Gareth Bale would not blame boss Harry Redknapp if he jumped ship from Tottenham to take the England job.

Redknapp remains the favourite to take over the vacancy.

"We all want Harry to stay but he is a great manager and if England do come calling it's one of those lifetime opportunities that you just can't turn down," Bale told The Sun.

"I wouldn't blame him for going, can you really? You never know if that opportunity will ever come around again."

Bale believes Tottenham can cope without Redknapp should he move on.

"Harry's a fantastic manager who can handle high-calibre players and expectations at the club. If we get a manager like that I dare say it won't make too much difference," he said.

Bale has admitted that a move to one of Europe's top clubs would be hard to resist.

"If you are talking about Barcelona or Real Madrid, two of the biggest clubs in the world, then it's a bit like Harry and England, it's a once-in-a-lifetime dream," he said.

"If you said to any young player that you could play for Barcelona or Real would they turn it down? Probably not."

"If a bid was accepted you would obviously have to seriously consider it," he added.

"But that has not happened so, at the moment, I'm just concentrating on Tottenham."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:25 pm 
Major General
Major General

Didnt he recently said he would like to move on if Big Club comes calling ?? I think if harry leaves he may follow too but what if they finish 4th another season to impress his suitors in CL .

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:42 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

There is no way the clubs he's talking about are going to pay the sort of figure Spurs want for him even if he does want to leave.

Spurs will want stupid money and I don't think Real & Barca are that interested and Utd don't have that sort of cash his only options if he decides to try and force a move will be one of the new money clubs who are basically going to gamble on being able to get around the financial fair play thing.

He's a good player but imo any club paying more than £25m for him are getting mugged.

I think the noises coming out at the moment would concern me if I was a Spurs fan I think he's thinking about making the move dipping his toe and seeing if the big clubs bite.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:48 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

20m + berbatov :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:52 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
Nee-mania Vidic wrote:

He turned us down for Spurs despite having the opportunity to follow in the footsteps of one of his fellow countrymen and probably the most successful LW in the PL, so **** him, I say.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:59 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I think he made the right choice young players have got to play and if you recall his first year or so at Spurs went very bad at the point where he came back into the side due to a massive injury crisis they were on the verge of loaning him to Forest.

If we could get him for £20m + Berba then I'd get the deal done tomorrow he'd flourish at Utd him and Valencia on the wings would be devestating I think RJ's head might explode at the thought of that much direct wing play :lol:

Problem is Spurs see him as the key assett to the club and have him on a very long contract they'll be looking at £50m for him which no one imo is going to pay apart from maybe Anzhi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:04 pm 
Major General
Major General

JSP wrote:
If we could get him for £20m + Berba then I'd get the deal done tomorrow he'd flourish at Utd him and Valencia on the wings would be devestating I think RJ's head might explode at the thought of that much direct wing play :lol:

The question is... would you be willing to drive him here yourself? :p

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:19 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
Riquelminho wrote:
Nee-mania Vidic wrote:

He turned us down for Spurs despite having the opportunity to follow in the footsteps of one of his fellow countrymen and probably the most successful LW in the PL, so **** him, I say.

:huh: 'probably'..... 'PROBABLY' .....ummm who's the competition for the 12 times champion???

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:59 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Riquelminho wrote:
The question is... would you be willing to drive him here yourself? :p

My offer still stands I'll drive him anywhere in Europe if it means we get £10m + for him my only rule is he's not allowed to smoke in my car.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:20 pm 
Major General
Major General

Riquelminho wrote:
Nee-mania Vidic wrote:

I dont think he turned us down.We bought Evra and we had Silvestre aswell and we were in for him but it was spurs who acted quickly while we were still pondering over him.Dont forget he was touted LB back then not LM or LW.

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:40 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I thought it was quite common news we were in for him.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:16 pm 
Major General
Major General

Resurrection Joe wrote:
Riquelminho wrote:
Nee-mania Vidic wrote:

He turned us down for Spurs despite having the opportunity to follow in the footsteps of one of his fellow countrymen and the most successful LW in the PL, so **** him, I say.

:huh: 'probably'..... 'PROBABLY' .....ummm who's the competition for the 12 times champion???

Fixed. I'm not even going to attempt to argue with that one. :D :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:58 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Gareth Bale says he'll have to "see what's best for myself" if Spurs don't reach the Champions League.

A run of one win in nine Barclays Premier League outings has seen Spurs slip from title challengers to fifth place, outside the Champions League berths and facing the prospect of a second season of Europa League football next term.

Bale hopes Tottenham can produce a strong finish to the campaign and claim a top-four berth that would bring qualification to European football's top table, providing London rivals Chelsea do not win their Champions League final against Bayern Munich on May 19.

Yet should Spurs fall short, the 22-year-old Wales winger has warned that his ambition to play at the highest level could see him reassess his future.

"I had a taste of it last season and I enjoyed it thoroughly," said Bale of the Champions League in an interview with the BBC's Football Focus.

"I think everybody always wants to test themselves against the best players in the world.

"We have to wait and see what happens. Obviously if we don't [qualify for Champions League], we'll have to sit down and discuss and see what's best for myself."

Bale, who is under contract at White Hart Lane until 2015, played down reports linking him with Barcelona, however.

"Obviously it's flattering but at the end of the day I'm still a Tottenham player and I need to keep performing week in week out for not just myself but for the team," he said.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:40 pm 
Major General
Major General

Spurs would want 40-50million for him :doh:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:17 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Spurs might want £40m for him but unless he fancies going to play for Anzhi in Russia I can't see a club offering that for him.

For what he's actually achieved he's worth half that

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:44 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

The Google translation is probably not the best place to start - 'The star of the Spurs seems to live his last days at White Hart Lane. The weight of the millions and the longing of the titles come knocking' - but Spanish newspaper Sport certainly seems to think that Gareth Bale wants out of Tottenham and that Barcelona see the Welshman as their priority summer target.

The figures being bandied around are in the £50m bracket and Barcelona's main competition appears to come from Manchester City. The implication seems to be that Barca want to 'do a Cesc' and test just how much Bale wants to join the Spanish giants despite more money presumably being available at the Etihad. Expect Barca's players to start talking very soon...

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:31 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Interesting stuff about Gareth Bale from The Daily Telegraph now, who have looked into reports from Spain that Gareth Bale's price tag could be too much for Barcelona.

The paper reports that Barca have been sniffing around the Welsh simian, but having considered the fearsome negotiating powers of Daniel Levy, the price might be too high.

And, of course, that also takes into account the possibility that Bale just doesn't fancy it.

The Telegraph quotes his agent, a Mr 'They're Taking The Piss' Jonathan Barnett, as saying, when the fee of £35million was mentioned: "It'd be a lot more than that. Gareth's very happy at Tottenham, come what may."

There is a school of thought, backed up by words from the man himself, that Bale will do one if Chelsea win this evening and Spurs aren't in the Champions League, but the indications from this one are that he'll be in Blighty for the forseeable.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:32 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Interesting line in The Sun, who report that, depite hints to the contrary, Gareth Bale actually doesn't consider Spurs not being in the Champions League to be a deal breaker.

They quote a 'Spurs insider' as saying: "Gareth wants to stay for next season.

"To say he is happy at the club right now is a bit of an understatement."

There you go.

ImageImage
Quote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next