AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 285 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Is Messi the greatest ever?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:08 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
After tonight's performance I'm getting dragged into the hype machine. This season he's been simply sensational - and at 22 as well.

Tonight's performance was mesmeric. I think once he wins the world cup with Argentina he'll be well on his way to becoming the best player that ever lived.

Thoughts?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Is Messi the greatest ever?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:22 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Well..he's clearly the best player in the world right now, and there is absolutely no doubt about it. He is unreal.

If he can do it in the next round against a much much much stronger defence..and in the final against whoever that may be. Then he'll surely be bordering the best ever..

but he has to do it at the world cup. Maradona did, Pele did, Fat Ronaldo did, Zidane did..he'll have to as well.

Im not sure Argentina will win the World Cup though, not with that nut case they have in charge. But if anyone can do it for them, Messi can. I really look forward to seeing what he can do.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:23 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Depends what happens over the next 5 or 6 years really if he can deliver for Argentina and carry on like this at Barca there's no reason as that team around him is still going to be strong. He looks likely to become the best player of his generation but Cristiano Ronaldo could have something to say about he's only 24 and has had a similar career to Messi to date.

If Messi stays injury free though he could go down as one of the best ever his close control is just unreal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:33 pm 
Major General
Major General

Dont see them winning WC with maradona at helm

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:44 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

no one fancied italy in 2006 or france in 1998 but if Messi turns up they've got a great chance apart from at the back they've got quality all over the park.

Maradona is mental but he will get them fired up and Messi, Tevez, Aguero & Higuian is arguably the strongest strikeforece going to the world cup does Millito even get a look in?

Cambiasso (if picked) and Mascherano can dominate a midfield but they are always going to have to score at least 2 goals to win a game.

It's hard for people my age to say of the greats i've only seen Ronaldo (brazilian) & Zidane at there peak and Messi could easily be as good as both of them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:50 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Did Italy and France only just to say qualify for 98 and 06?

Maradona doesnt even seem to get them fired up, didnt seem to in the qualifiers..they were just rubbish. Rubbish tactics, picked odd players who were rubbish..played Messi in positions that didnt suit him..refused to pick Higuain for ages..im sure he was playing Jonas(of Newcastle) as well, I mean..what the hell sort of a decision is that? Argentina need Championship players?

Wasnt he also not picking Cambiasso and Samuel? Probably two of the best players in their positions.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:56 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

borocooper wrote:
Did Italy and France only just to say qualify for 98 and 06?

Maradona doesnt even seem to get them fired up, didnt seem to in the qualifiers..they were just rubbish. Rubbish tactics, picked odd players who were rubbish..played Messi in positions that didnt suit him..refused to pick Higuain for ages..im sure he was playing Jonas(of Newcastle) as well, I mean..what the hell sort of a decision is that? Argentina need Championship players?

Wasnt he also not picking Cambiasso and Samuel? Probably two of the best players in their positions.

He also massively fell out with Riquelme who's so important to that side as he plays the Xavi role taking pressure of Messi.

Guitierrez was there before he took over and from what i'm told is fairly reliable for Argentina even if he does play for Newcastle.

Well france qualified as hosts in 98 and was it 06 where Scotland were in there group or was that the Euro's. Didn't Brazil only just qualify in 2002 as Ronaldo was out injured for pretty much all of qualification and they only finished 3 points ahead of 5th & 6th level on points with Paraguay in 4th.

Qualification doesn't really mean anything as long as you get there it's all that matters. Maradona picked something like 50 players which means he's basically had a look at all his options. he needs to stumble on a solid XI but at the world cup anything can happen if they start well they have the players to win it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:24 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

He's not the current worlds best imo let alone the best ever.

Ronaldo has 25 in 27 and if he was fit he'd have just as many goals. He entertains me more than messi does who just seems to have a magnet attached to his foot.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:26 am 
Major General
Major General

JSP wrote:
no one fancied italy in 2006 or france in 1998 but if Messi turns up they've got a great chance apart from at the back they've got quality all over the park.

Maradona is mental but he will get them fired up and Messi, Tevez, Aguero & Higuian is arguably the strongest strikeforece going to the world cup does Millito even get a look in?

Cambiasso (if picked) and Mascherano can dominate a midfield but they are always going to have to score at least 2 goals to win a game.

It's hard for people my age to say of the greats i've only seen Ronaldo (brazilian) & Zidane at there peak and Messi could easily be as good as both of them.

There striker force is good but as usual lack of height is the problem ..they all are dwarf xcept for higuain who is just not tall aswell..They have missed Crespo like player and Milito doesnt get looked in properly ...Maradona is nuts ..I simply cant see him winning WC for argies ..he has fell out with riquelme ...and recently called up Veron to the first 11 :dunce: :dunce: :doh:

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:30 am 
Major General
Major General

idontfeardeath wrote:
He's not the current worlds best imo let alone the best ever.

Ronaldo has 25 in 27 and if he was fit he'd have just as many goals. He entertains me more than messi does who just seems to have a magnet attached to his foot.

Ronaldo can score some ludicrous goals aswell ...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:09 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Veron recently led his club to the Libatedores (south american ECL) and from what i'm told actually played quite well for Argentina when he came back as they needed someone to link midfield and attack which is what Veron is best at.

As for height if you can play the ball on the floor who needs height? Barca last night barely had any height but you don't need to be 6ft 4 if you can run the ball on the floor past people.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:56 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Highscores: 28
Why is it always strikers/goal scorers that are hailed as the greatest? People have recently admitted that Messi is not always in a game and goes missing for long periods. Does that sound like the best footballer that ever lived? What about someone who is more consistent. A midfield player like Xavi or Iniesta at the same team even?

He is certainly extremely talented and potentially the best or best ever but to talk about him in this way at the age of 22 is preposterous. He could be at his peak now and go downhill for the next 10-15 years. He has a long way to go yet before being worthy of this title.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:02 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
is he the greatest ever??

....not yet

....but i thought Sky's (specifically Richard Keys') coverage was ridiculous, bordering on disgraceful.... when will they learn that simply gushing sycophantic hyperbole, doesn't make it real..... their constant desire to deliver 'the greatest <insert any event> EVER (til next week)> seriously undermines the spectacle..... it's a damn shame all English top flight football prior to 92 has been erased :hmm:

Truth is Messi has had a 4 year ascent & is (imo) better than Pele & as good as Maradona, at 22. Maradona had other qualities e.g. single-handedly winning the 86 World Cup & Maradona was never as anonymous as Messi can be.....

.....I also think Best was as good as Messi, but his career was over by 27

How Richard Keys/anyone can ask if a 22yr old is the greatest there's ever been, is ridiculous imo & symptomatic of society's obsession with if you say it enough, it's true

Haye Vs Ruiz sat. night...."Haye reminds me of Muhammad Ali"..... F*CK OFF!!!! :angry: :rant:

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:16 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
Resurrection Joe wrote:
is he the greatest ever??

....not yet

....but i thought Sky's (specifically Richard Keys') coverage was ridiculous, bordering on disgraceful.... when will they learn that simply gushing sycophantic hyperbole, doesn't make it real..... their constant desire to deliver 'the greatest <insert any event> EVER (til next week)> seriously undermines the spectacle..... it's a damn shame all English top flight football prior to 92 has been erased :hmm:

Truth is Messi has had a 4 year ascent & is (imo) better than Pele & as good as Maradona, at 22. Maradona had other qualities e.g. single-handedly winning the 86 World Cup & Maradona was never as anonymous as Messi can be.....

.....I also think Best was as good as Messi, but his career was over by 27

How Richard Keys/anyone can ask if a 22yr old is the greatest there's ever been, is ridiculous imo & symptomatic of society's obsession with if you say it enough, it's true

Haye Vs Ruiz sat. night...."Haye reminds me of Muhammad Ali"..... F*CK OFF!!!! :angry: :rant:

I couldn't agree more. He's got a huge way to go to be as good as Maradona. Dump him in a mid table/relegation team and see if he can get them to win the league.

People forget all too easy how good ex players were, I am in a minority that doesn't rate Pele too highly but Maradona, Best and In my eye Gazza all take some beating.

I think Messi is the best modern day player though. To prove himself he really needs to try a different league. I recommend the PL and united

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:50 pm 
National Hero
National Hero

Mr Carrot wrote:
To prove himself he really needs to try a different league. I recommend the PL and united

:lol: I like the cut of your jib :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:11 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

My favourite was the Special one on the pitch Vs Special one off it cr*p they started coming out with.

If they paid attention they'll notice that Barca have already beaten Inter 2-0 at the Nou Camp this season quite convincingly and this was when Inter were smashing everyone in Serie A compared to now when they're on the ropes being chased by Roma.

Sky are incredibly self publicising and it really gets on my nerves last week it was all about Messi's record against English clubs what was it 1 goal in 11 games. Next time it'll be he's scored 5 goals in 12 games against the big four and thats the mark of a top top player.

The only thing i'll say is that if Graham Souness and Ruud Gullit are saying he's something special then you have to appreciate the boys talents as they played against some of the best including Maradona so they know what they're talking about. Although I accept they put a bit of a sky slant on thing to build up the hype.

They're quick to forget that in the mid 90's some Brazilian guy went to Barcelona and did similar things to Messi he then carried his country to a world cup final then went on to score 30+ goals in back to back season in Serie A then won a world cup again carrying the team in 2002. Ronaldo was the best player of his generation but he never gets a mention the things he achieved considering the injuries he had was ridiculous.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:37 pm 
Major
Major

Highscores: 4
Potentially, he could be the best. As been said, I think he needs to star in a world cup. But he's some fooking player atm! Seems to have been around for ages, hard to believe he's only 22

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:47 pm 
Major General
Major General

Ronaldo's a good shout Parky, absolutely phenomenal player, and potentially would be regarded with the very best to have graced the game if he'd stayed injury free. Did it on every stage he played on, and had just about everything you could want in a player.

Everyone here is right about Messi, he could be regarded as an all time great, but it's too early to tell. In 10 years time we'll see what he's done with the rest of his career, and maybe he'll be worthy of mention alongside the best.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:01 pm 
Major General
Major General

The poll on Sky Sports website shows that nearly 30% of voters think Messi is the best ever... :rolleyes:

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:03 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Only thing I'll say is I agree with comparisons. Pele was the best of hsi generation, and so was maradona..and Maradona had a crappier team than either pele or messi. He's young and 4 yrs ago everyone thought Ronaldinho would be the greatest ever..no one knows what the future holds. I do hope messi keeps going on though, but as his struggles playing for a disorganised Argentina show, it's not as easy when you aren't playing in the best club team in world football presently!

Ronaldo was gold despite the ijuries and pies. One modern player I always rated too was Rivaldo (barca fan that I am) but like Messi he never always turned it on for his country. The 2006 wC was his best spell and kaka & ronaldinho coud be sid to have been greater influences in that one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 285 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next