AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 285 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Is Messi the greatest ever?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:47 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Lionel Messi has ruled out a move to the Premier League and insists he intends to finish his career at Barcelona.

The 28-year-old Argentina international picked up his fifth Ballon d'Or award in Zurich on Monday, maintaining his supremacy over rival Cristiano Ronaldo.

Newspapers in both Spain and England have previously reported that he could potentially leave the Catalan club, with the likes of Manchester City and Chelsea linked with the forward.

And Sky Sports' Spanish football expert Guillem Balague said last year that City were trying to convince him to join them.

But Messi said: "I've always said that I can't leave Barcelona. It's always my response. I want to finish my career at home and my home is Barcelona.

"Football changes so much. A year ago, we were all getting criticised and we ended up winning nearly everything. My intention is to terminate my career where it started, in Barcelona.

"I want to keep succeeding with the club. Now is not the time to think about whether this is my peak. It's more important that we keep trying to win, that we work hard. It's a lot to think about."

Why would he want to leave?

He has everything he could ever want playing the best football on the planet with the worlds best players winning loads of trophies at a club where the fans worship him and although I've never been it sounds like a beautiful place to live.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:12 am 
Major General
Major General

Yeah all this doesnt make sense .. He is more Catalan than Argentine ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:46 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
The answer to the thread question has to be yes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:27 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Think the answer is it's impossible to compare.

Not sure the other great names ever played in these sort of super clubs sides the talent used to be much more spread around you now have these centralised super teams which Messi has played in where he has the best players from all over the world playing with him every week same for Cristiano at Madrid.

I think Messi's competition for the Ballon D'Or will come from Neymar now going forward as I think Ronaldo is dropping physically and his standards will start to decline over the next few years whereas Messi still has a few more years at his peak.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:43 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

JSP wrote:
Think the answer is it's impossible to compare.

Not sure the other great names ever played in these sort of super clubs sides the talent used to be much more spread around you now have these centralised super teams which Messi has played in where he has the best players from all over the world playing with him every week same for Cristiano at Madrid.

I think Messi's competition for the Ballon D'Or will come from Neymar now going forward as I think Ronaldo is dropping physically and his standards will start to decline over the next few years whereas Messi still has a few more years at his peak.

I think you can tell, regardless of the players around him, Messi is a phenominal player, so much skill and vision. Only Maradona can compare.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:53 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Mr Carrot wrote:
The answer to the thread question has to be yes.

I don't think he's the best of his generation. I do however think he's the second best player ever.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:02 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I also don't think it's close. Do you guys really think football has stood still for 20 years. Take any sport that isn't opinionated and you see the improvement.

Darts a '94 Taylor wouldn't get out to the semis
100 metres. Carl Lewis ran a 9.93 to set the world record in '87. In the 2012 Olimpics that wouldn't have got him near the medals
In swimming 100m free style in 20 yrs 4 seconds has come off of the record.

Sports don't stand still and are always improving. Today's best players are better than yesteryears as a general in most sports. Football isn't any different.

Maradona was a drug taker and a cheat. Doesn't deserve to be mentioned in list containing Pele Best Maradona Messi and Ronaldo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:24 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

idontfeardeath wrote:

Maradona was a drug taker and a cheat. Doesn't deserve to be mentioned in list containing Pele Best Maradona Messi and Ronaldo

cleary he does :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:21 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

It's impossible to compare players from different generations.

The modern game is so different compared to the era Maradona played in the 80's which was different to Pele/Best in the 60's.

Messi/Ronaldo are clearly the standout players of the current generation the stats they produce are ridiculous they have been and still are some way clear of the rest but you'd have to say players like Neymar/Suarez are starting to close the gap. They along with players like Pogba look like they'll be the next generation of superstars.

The crux is that football is a team sport so individual awards imo are largely pointless Messi is obviously one of the best players to ever play the game but he's also been part of one of the best teams in history that imo would compete with teams of any era.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:28 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

of course, it's all opinions as you can never get them all to play together.

So it's just my opinion, he is the best player to have played the game. Mesmerising, his footwork at times.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:31 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Mr Carrot wrote:
of course, it's all opinions as you can never get them all to play together.

So it's just my opinion, he is the best player to have played the game. Mesmerising, his footwork at times.

A Spanish Football journalist made a good point with the Barca team that Messi could arguably be the best player in the team playing any of the midfield or attacking roles he's that good. So the perfect Xavi replacement is Messi, the perfect Iniesta replacement is Messi, Neymar replacement Messi etc etc.

His control of the football is the best I've ever seen his touch, passing, dribbling, shooting everything is just on another level.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:22 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Mr Carrot wrote:
idontfeardeath wrote:

cleary he does :wink: :lol:

Haha! Doh!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:54 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Real Madrid have tried three times in the last five years to sign Barcelona’s Lionel Messi, according to a report in Spain.

The Partido de las Doce programme on the Cadena COPE radio station claimed representatives of Real approached the Argentinian in 2011, 2013 and 2015, but were rebuffed on each occasion.

Messi, who earlier this month won a fifth Ballon d’Or award, has been instrumental in Barcelona’s success in recent years, with the club claiming a Champions League, Primera División and Copa del Rey treble last season.

The report claimed the first approach in 2011 came at a time when Cristiano Ronaldo was being linked with a move to Manchester City. In June 2013 it was reported that a Real executive – on instruction from the club president Florentino Pérez – made a renewed attempt after they had lost out to Barcelona in the pursuit of Neymar.

The final attempt was made last year, according to the report, after Barcelona had dominated Real in Europe and at home, but again they were knocked back.

Moves between the bitter rivals who dominate the Spanish game are rare, but not unprecedented. The current Barcelona coach Luís Enrique joined the club from Real in 1996, while four years later Pérez recruited Luis Figo from Barcelona.

Figo’s departure caused uproar in Catalonia and he was targeted by all manner of missiles – including a pig’s head – when he returned to the Camp Nou with Real in November 2002.

One of Real’s all-time greats, Alfredo Di Stéfano, had initially signed for Barcelona in 1953 but after a dispute over his signature with Real the Spanish federation came up with a compromise arrangement where the Argentinian would play alternate seasons at each club.

Barcelona pulled out of the agreement in protest at the federation’s ruling and Di Stéfano was free to sign for Real. The exact sequence of events which led to Di Stéfano ending up in Madrid are still the subject of conspiracy theories over suspicions of interference by the Franco regime.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:39 pm 
Major General
Major General

I ahve seen him interviews he wont join Madrid .. He loves being at barcelona only if President and club wishes to sell him than he will leave ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:47 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi has reiterated his desire to play in his homeland of Argentina before the end of his playing career.

The five-time Ballon d’Or winner began his career with Argentinian outfit Newell’s Old Boys before being snapped up by Barca’s academy in 2001.

The 28-year-old has since gone on to win seven Primera Division titles, three Copa del Reys and four Champions League winners’ medals and could add to that tally this season.

Primera Division leaders Barcelona are currently on a 34-match unbeaten run in all competitions and hold a 2-0 lead over Arsenal after the first leg of their last-16 tie in the Champions League.

And while Messi has no immediate intention of leaving Spain, he does concede a move back home appeals at some stage.

“It’s something that I would still like to do. I don’t know when, but it’s a possibility,” he told Argentinian magazine El Grafico.

“I haven’t set myself any goals, short or long term, but I’d like to keep playing whilst my body allows it and I have something to offer the team. When I know that it’s time, I’ll make a decision.”

The Argentina captain has scored 49 international goals and is closing in on Gabriel Batistuta’s record of 57.

Yet Messi, who guided his country to the World Cup final in 2014 before being beaten in extra time by Germany, admits he would rather win team accolades.

“I prefer to win something with the national team,” he said. “I am not interested in records. They are there, but that does not make you win titles.

“I get upset whenever we lose with Argentina because I know that we should have won. We did enough to win the World Cup and the Copa America.”

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:30 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Retired from international football after losing his 3rd major final in a row last night as Chile made it back to back Copa America wins.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:17 am 
Major General
Major General

Missed the penalty too ..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:46 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Not won a major international medal has he? Diego did better than him in both club and international football.

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:59 pm 
Major General
Major General

Yup not any major with Country but Messi has won lot with clib but then again maradona didnt walk into best club team in world he went to napoli and in 5-6 years won totle and few other trophies.. He carried argentina to wc glory and runner up in 1990 ..he didnt have had superstars in national team unlike Messi who had world class players around him ..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:46 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

It's a shame he won't be at the next world cup but I can understand why he's made the decision to retire the pressure on him is non stop he shouldn't be blamed when the team loses you win as a team and lose as a team. Sounds like a few others are calling it quits to Mascherano, Higuaín & Aguero may all be retiring as well.

It's impossible to compare players from different eras because the game is constantly changing

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 285 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next