AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 285 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Is Messi the greatest ever?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:26 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
JSP wrote:
Didn't realise this would be a maths exam

I converted 16m euro using a converter which gave me £13.7m divide over 52 weeks which is £263k

God know where they got £600k a week from but that would suggest he earns £31.2m a year he then pays taxes of £17.5m to leave the £13.7m take home pay.

That suggests that he pays tax of around 56%.

That said this all came from yahoo.co.uk which was basing the figures on a story in Marca which I imagine means a certain amount of artistic license has been used on the figures to get to £600k a week.

Basically Messi has just become an even richer young man who will earn in a year what me, you and IDFD will probably earn in a life time if we're lucky.

haha, no I was thinking more about me, and the rate. I think my rate is a bit better. phew

I guess he's paying the 52% tax then which would put him at about 506 grand at the rate you had.

I would be worried if you got a better from a online converter when I pay a fee to get the best rates!! that was my only concern. Not what Messi earns

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:28 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
JSP wrote:
Assuming we all work for 45 years (20 to 65) to earn his net salary of £13.7m we need to take home on average £101,481 each per year.

Sorry guys but I'm currently about £380k behind our desired target taking in to account i'm 25 and what I've earned. Any of you got some excess of what you need? :lol:

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:29 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

by the way, has the Beckham law gone now over there then?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:39 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Mr Carrot wrote:

I believe the law only effects new contracts which is why Real Madrid are reluctant to negotiate with Ronaldo as they'll need to make up the tax difference due to the change in laws. Fixed length contracts signed under the old law are not effected by the changes in the tax laws.

I read that Zlatan's salary is agreed as a net figure so if the 75% high earner tax bracket gats passed as law in France (i believe it's being challenged) then PSG have to pick up the bill.

I've always felt it was harsh that people called it the Beckham law as it was in place a few years before Becks went over to Madrid.

Beckham even has his own law in terms of the MLS the designated player law that allows teams to pay over salary caps is also commonly known as the Beckham Law.

In France will the Beckham law be that you have to donate all money earned over the minumum wage to charity?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:43 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

So what's the Beckham law in England?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:49 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

JSP wrote:
Mr Carrot wrote:

I believe the law only effects new contracts which is why Real Madrid are reluctant to negotiate with Ronaldo as they'll need to make up the tax difference due to the change in laws. Fixed length contracts signed under the old law are not effected by the changes in the tax laws.

I read that Zlatan's salary is agreed as a net figure so if the 75% high earner tax bracket gats passed as law in France (i believe it's being challenged) then PSG have to pick up the bill.

I've always felt it was harsh that people called it the Beckham law as it was in place a few years before Becks went over to Madrid.

Beckham even has his own law in terms of the MLS the designated player law that allows teams to pay over salary caps is also commonly known as the Beckham Law.

In France will the Beckham law be that you have to donate all money earned over the minumum wage to charity?

I think Hollande is even less popular than Sarkozy.

Actually the French liked Sarkozy's policies, just not him.

The teachers were on strike last week, he want to get them on 5 day weeks. He also wants to do away with the departments which is very unpopular. I think the 75% tax wont go through.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:06 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

idontfeardeath wrote:

Beckham Law in England is basically if Beckham is in the room you are at best the second best looking person in that room.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:52 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Highscores: 28
JSP wrote:
idontfeardeath wrote:

Beckham Law in England is basically if Beckham is in the room you are at best the second best looking person in that room.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:39 pm 
AGR Poster Of The Year
AGR Poster Of The Year

JSP wrote:
idontfeardeath wrote:

That's why I'm not allowed to move it England I'd be breaking the law :coat:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:46 am 
Major General
Major General

The James wrote:
JSP wrote:
idontfeardeath wrote:

That's why I'm not allowed to move it England I'd be breaking the law :coat:

:laugh: nice one James

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:01 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Barcelona footballer Lionel Messi and his father are being investigated in Spain for allegedly defrauding the state of more than 4m euros (£3.4m).

The Argentina forward and his father, Jorge, are suspected of filing fraudulent tax returns for 2007-09, Spanish tax officials say.

The 25-year-old World Player of the Year has so far made no comment on the allegation.

His net annual salary at Barcelona is believed to be about 16m euros.

On Wednesday, a complaint signed by prosecutor Raquel Amado was filed at the courthouse in Gava - the affluent Barcelona district where Messi is a resident.

Judges at the courthouse must first accept the complaint before the suspects can be charged, reports say.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:13 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

You would imagine that his accountants make sure that Messi pays as little tax as possible just like any rich person who can afford such assistance in complex tax laws would.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:29 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

EA Sports have announced Lional Messi will be in the front cover of FIFA 14

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:55 pm 
Major General
Major General

:lol:

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:54 am 
AGR Poster Of The Year
AGR Poster Of The Year

idontfeardeath wrote:
EA Sports have announced Lional Messi will be in the front cover of FIFA 14

FAKE!!!!! :coat:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:53 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
A Spanish judge has summoned Barcelona footballer Lionel Messi to appear in court on 17 September over tax fraud allegations.

The 25-year-old Argentine, who has four times been named World Player of the Year, and his father are accused of defrauding the Spanish authorities of more than 4m euros (£3.4m).

They are suspected of using companies abroad - in Belize and Uruguay - to sell the rights to use Messi's image.

They both deny the allegations.

Messi's net salary from Barcelona is said to be about 16m euros a year, making him one of the world's most highly-paid sportspeople.

He has also signed multi-million-dollar endorsements with commercial sponsors around the world.

The player and his father, Jorge, are accused of three times defrauding the Spanish state of taxes.

The income related to his image rights included contracts with Banco Sabadell, Danone, Adidas, Pepsi-Cola, Proctor and Gamble and the Kuwait Food Company.

If he is convicted, Messi could face up to six years in prison and a big fine, according to Spain's Efe news agency.

He wrote on his Facebook page, after the allegations became known last week: "We have never committed any infringement. We have always fulfilled all our tax obligations."

Messi's achievements on the field have made him one of the most marketable in the business.

He came from a modest background and has overcome a serious health issue, joining Barcelona as a 13-year-old in 2000 and making his first-team debut only three years later.

He was ranked 10th among Forbes' list of sports stars' incomes this month.

The president of Barcelona FC, Sandro Rosell, has said the club has no doubt that the superstar is innocent of tax avoidance.

Messi is due to play a prominent role in the Adidas World Cup marketing campaign.

Adidas CEO Herbert Hainer told reporters that the company "will continue to work with Lionel. He's the best football player in the world and we are happy that we have him".

But the allegations are a big blow to the prestige of Messi, who has long been seen as a more humble figure than most top-class footballers.

I would imagine this is all within the law as he will employ experts in tax law to pay as little tax as possible just as we all would if we earnt bucket loads of money and could afford the help.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:02 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Highscores: 8
JSP wrote:
...he will employ experts in tax law to pay as little tax as possible just as we all would if we earnt bucket loads of money and could afford the help.

Speak for yourself.

No doubt he has the legalities covered. Humble? Feck that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:20 pm 
Major General
Major General

Seems O-Dog is loyal but every business man is doing very same that messi did.

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:34 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Lionel Messi has prepared complementary tax returns for 2010 and 2011 and has paid the tax authorities in Spain an additional €10 million, according to the Spanish newspaper La Vanguardia.

Sources connected to the case have confirmed that the player's payments correspond to taxes owed for image rights income in 2010 and 2011. They have also said that the payments were made through a complementary tax return, which consists of a correction to the tax return originally submitted.

Messi is also looking to strike an agreement for the 2007, 2008 and 2009 financial years. Sources claim Barcelona's Argentinian striker has accepted that he must pay tax on income from image rights and wishes to clear up any issues with his tax returns for the three years under investigation.

Barcelona's financial crimes office filed a complaint against Messi and his father, Jorge, on 12 June, accusing them of tax fraud. The Messis are accused of three crimes against the tax authorities corresponding to the 2007, 2008 and 2009 financial years, when they are alleged to have used tax havens to avoid paying more than €4 million.

Messi is due to appear in court for questioning in Gavá near Barcelona on 17 September, although his lawyers have said he "scrupulously complies with Spanish legislation".

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:11 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:

American fans have had only sporadic opportunities to see the Barcelona wizard in the flesh and the match – billed as "Messi and Friends vs. The Rest of the World" and due to take place at the Los Angeles Coliseum – was keenly anticipated.

The match at the LA MEmorial Coliseum was supposed to have been the third in the diminutive star's "Messi and Friends" international tour, and excitement was reaching fever pitch in California as the match approached.

Or at least it was until a clearly frustrated press release was sent out, little more than 24 hours before the scheduled kick-off, announcing the game would not take place as Messi was refusing to take part.

"After hours of trying to convince Lionel Messi's management team to fulfill their contractual agreement and come to Los Angeles, it is clear they have no respect for these fans and this market," said a statement from Todd Graham, CEO of El Padrino, one of the primary sponsors of the event.

He added: "We feel that this is a blatant attempt to defraud American citizens and businesses that sponsored this event."

The match was advertised as featuring a string of world-class players, including Spanish World Cup winners Gerard Pique, Cesc Fabregas and Sergio Busquets on Messi's team, and in-form Polish striker Robert Lewandowski, Argentina's Sergio Aguero and AC Milan star Kevin Prince Boateng on the other.

As of Tuesday night, the event website carried no mention of the cancellation, though tickets were no longer available on the Ticketmaster website.

"In all the years I've been doing live events, I have never encountered a situation like this," said Ralina Shaw, vice president of public relations for El Padrino. "It's unfortunate because the only losers in this scenario are the fans that were looking forward to the game, and the City of Los Angeles."

More information may leak out over the next few days but organizers are adamant that their part of the deal was met and that Messi's late withdrawal came as a shock. Messi has been the most dominant player in soccer for the past four years but is preparing to enter one of the biggest seasons of his career.

His club team Barcelona is desperate to erase the memories of its embarrassing seven-goal deficit to Bayern Munich in the Champions League semi-finals, while the 26-year-old is under pressure to deliver for his national team Argentina in the World Cup a year from now.

The player enjoys worldwide popularity but has recently been in the headlines for the wrong reasons, after his tax affairs came under investigation from the Spanish revenue services.

Messi has appeared in the US before, with Barcelona occasionally visiting as part of its preseason preparations, and Argentina played the US national team in a friendly at Giants Stadium in 2011.

Tickets for Messi and Friends were selling for up to $300 (£197).
Calls and an email sent to Messi's management team were not immediately returned on Tuesday night.

And you thought the tickets to Bournemouth vs Real Madrid match were expensive :p

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 285 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next