AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: PSG
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:53 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Cavani to United speculation intensifies: Paris Saint-Germain have replaced the image of Edinson Cavani on an official promotional poster, fuelling speculation he is on his way out of the Ligue 1 club. The Daily Mirror reports that the Uruguay striker has been replaced by Yohan Cabaye on an advert for the French club's away kit, adding to the rumours linking him with a move to Manchester United. While PSG have denied the striker is for sale, United were linked with a move for him in January and it is believed they are still interested.

Paper Round's view: Leaving PSG appears to be a distinct possibility - certainly now the club have cut him from the poster - but whether Old Trafford will end up his final destination remains to be seen. Louis van Gaal is aggressively looking to add to his squad, but does he really need another striker? Even with the club's purchases so far this summer, there are more pressing issues to be addressed in other areas of the pitch before a striker is brought in. Furthermore, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal have previously shown interest in the forward, so, while United appear frontrunners, these sides will also have been put on alert by this development.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:48 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Paris St Germain striker Edinson Cavani has rubbished claims he asked to leave the Ligue 1 champions.

The 27-year-old Uruguay international cost the French giants a reported £55million last summer but has been the subject of intense transfer speculation since reports he has struggled to adapt to playing second fiddle to Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

Despite being linked with the likes of Manchester United, Cavani told L'Equipe: "I am sure to stay, why would I not?

"I'm well in Paris. I have a contract to honour. I'm calm, I'd rather be here. I feel good here. However, I know it does not depend solely on the player but also on the club.

"There were some small issues about the position I wanted to play but I feel very good about that now.

"I waited for the right moment to speak. It is important for a striker to play in a position that is natural for him. Everyone knows my position and we do not need to talk about this."

Cavani, who rose to stardom with Serie A club Napoli, netted both PSG goals in the 2-1 Coupe de la Ligue final against Lyon, which secured the club the double.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:02 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Paris St Germain president Nasser Al-Khelaifi believes Angel di Maria wanted to move to his club - and not Manchester United - from Real Madrid in the summer transfer window.

The Argentina international sealed a move to Old Trafford for a record British fee of almost £60m last week.

Al-Khelaifi reckons the only reason the 26-year-old did not move to the Parc des Princes was because PSG could not agree a fee with Real Madrid president Florentino Perez.

"For two or three weeks I discussed this issue with my friend Florentino Perez, the president of Real Madrid," Al-Khelaifi said.

"We met twice, we made an offer, but we did not agree on the price. For me it was too expensive. It has nothing to do with Financial Fair Play. The player wanted to come to Paris, but this was not possible."

The French side have invested hugely in players over the past couple of years, signing the likes of Zlatan Ibrahimovic and David Luiz.

Al-Khelaifi claimed Financial Fair Play (FFP) was not a fair rule and said his club would meet with UEFA to urge them to reconsider it.

"We want to respect the rules of UEFA," he said. "But we must discuss it again in October with them to try to change the rules.

"This is very important because Financial Fair Play is not fair. It is sometimes difficult to understand, but in the end, the big clubs are big clubs and small clubs remain small. It not only represents the interests of PSG. If new investors can not invest in football, they will invest in Formula One."

PSG, along with Premier League champions Manchester City, were handed a heavy fine in May for breaching FFP regulations.

Good luck trying to convince the other big clubs that FFP is a bad idea as the rules suit them they don't want clubs like PSG/City coming and gatecrashing their little club they're lucky they got the foot in the door just before it was slammed shut.

PSG should now be in a position like Chelsea were after the initial expenditure/investment where the can settle down a bit as they've got the CL money coming in plus I'm sure they'll start getting better sponsorship deals which will boost revenues to allow them to afford the expensive squad.

In terms of investing in PSG what have these guys invested in other than players? Have they invested in the training ground/academy/stadium etc that would have long term advantages like City are doing?

The more of these sort of investors we get the closer we'll get to a European version of the NFL which would imo kill the game as at some point these billionaire investors will want to get their money back.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:00 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
When Zlatan Ibrahimovic, the top goalscorer and assist provider in Ligue 1, was substituted in the last game of last season, he walked off the Parc des Princes to a standing ovation as Paris Saint-Germain were thrashing Montpellier 4-0. His last move on the pitch was as unexpected and spontaneous as some of those goals and assists. He walked straight to his team-mate Lucas Moura and strapped his captain’s armband around the winger’s shoulder.

Just 18 minutes into the opening game of this season, the Brazil international capitalised on a poor pass from the opposition to burst into the penalty area but overlooked the Swede, unmarked in the goal area. An unsuccessful stepover led him to lose the ball and earn an earful from his captain, who barked obscenities at him as Reims levelled the match four minutes later.

The turnaround from Zlatan was a symbol of Moura’s career. A player everyone would like to see fulfil his potential keeps frustrating even his most ardent supporters.

Transferred from São Paulo to Paris Saint-Germain in January 2013 for £44.3m, picking the French side in preference to Manchester United, Moura has not made the impact expected for club and country.

Once a hugely popular figure in Brazil, running rings around Brazilian league full-backs since 2010, Moura quickly featured in the national team, making his debut aged 19. He now has 31 caps for Brazil.

When he joined the São Paulo academy in 2005 he endured a rigorous schedule, attending school in the morning before taking two buses across the sprawling city to reach the Barra Funda training grounds in the afternoon, returning home way past midnight.

His parents Jorge and Fatima were worried by their son’s exhausting lifestyle but they knew it was the path he had chosen and offered their full support. “Were it not for my parents and brother Thiago I would not be where I am today,” concedes the young man who excelled as a student but also showed signs of unruliness, staunchly refusing to eat beans – staple diet for many Brazilians – and once coming home with dozens of stings after kicking a beehive.

Misdeeds would lead to the harshest punishment. “The cruellest way in which you could punish him would be to take away his football. He would cry on and on,” his brother recalls.

This happened when he persuaded a young boy from his neighbourhood to pay 10 Brazilian reals for a self-made kite whose fabrication had cost 30 times less. Told off by his father after using the money to construct 30 new kites, he apologised and would give a special autograph to the boy’s brother, an ardent São Paulo fan, many years later.

Just as he did not always toe the line as a youth, Moura finds it difficult to measure up on football pitches today.

The Brazilian’s failure to integrate a tactical dimension to his game makes him lack the awareness required to break up narrow defences on European pitches.

A propensity to cut inside and over-enthusiastic dribbling (5.4 dribbles per game in the Champions League last season, nearly a quarter of his total attempted passes) have earned him a reputation for playing it solo, despite boasting the third highest number of assists in Ligue 1 behind Ibrahimovic and James Rodríguez last season.

While it is a stretch to say Manchester United dodged a bullet not signing the winger, it is difficult to picture Moura conforming to Louis van Gaal’s tactics.

His trademark acceleration and explosiveness, however, remain untarnished which he showed against Marseille at the Parc des Princes last season.

The solo effort did not lead to a goal but hinted at the winger’s ability to raise his game on big occasions. It was reminiscent of the run his illustrious compatriot Ronaldinho made for PSG, also against Marseille, 10 years earlier. However, comparisons between the two Brazilians stop here.

Moura’s positioning off the ball is often careless and hinders his progress, leading to only 18 league starts last season. Laurent Blanc, PSG’s manager, decided on rotation with Edinson Cavani even though Moura’s transfer fee was the Brazilian league record until Neymar moved to Barcelona.

Rotation was an alien term to the São Paulo star who would lead every attack in Brazil. Reduced game time took a toll on his confidence and played a part in the biggest disappointment of his career, on the day his side celebrated a second consecutive league title.

A full Brazil international since the age of 19, brought up alongside Oscar at São Paulo and named best player of the 2011 South American Youth Championship ahead of Neymar, he was left out of Luiz Felipe Scolari’s World Cup squad on May 7, the day PSG won the French league.

He had led title celebrations the year before but was unable to take part this time, tearfully sitting away from his team-mates after the final whistle, staring into the distance at his childhood dream fading away.

Although few of Scolari’s decisions can be vindicated with the benefit of hindsight, no eyebrows were raised in Brazil at Moura’s absence from his squad. The consensus was the winger had not progressed in an area of the pitch already plugged with talent.

He reacted by scoring his fourth and fifth goals of the season and producing arguably two of his finest performances, leading Ibrahimovic to reward him with the captain’s armband on final matchday.

Now summer has come and gone, and his sadness is shared by 200 million Brazilians, Moura has a point to prove. Ibrahimovic’s earful underlines how difficult it is for him to shake off old habits.

Although it took a year for his compatriot Raí to get used to the PSG environment, before establishing himself as one of the club’s greatest ever players in the mid-1990s, time is running out for Moura to live up to his fantastic potential.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:27 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The former Newcastle United midfielder Yohan Cabaye has admitted he is unhappy with his bit-part role at Paris Saint-Germain.

Cabaye moved to the Parc des Princes in January but has struggled to command a regular first-team place under Laurent Blanc. The 28-year-old is not used to regularly coming off the bench and will consider his future if his limited playing time at PSG affects his role with the France national team, for whom he starts regularly.

Speaking to L’Equipe, Cabaye said: “You have to accept being a substitute, but I don’t resign myself to that. In training sessions, I have to give my best and show my desire to play.

“When I am on the pitch, I feel it is not perfect and that I often have to leave too soon. But I know the coach and staff have to make choices and I respect that.

“Have I spoken to Laurent Blanc? No. What do I tell him? I am 28 years old and not new to the job. But I am not satisfied with the situation.

“Am I completely happy? To be honest, no. It is a new situation for me, but I don’t complain. It is the first time I haven’t played regularly for my club.

“With the French team, if one day the national team coach decides to play me less because I don’t play often enough for my club, then I would need to take stock with my representatives.”

Cabaye may have alerted a number of Premier League clubs to his situation after adding: “Do I sometimes miss England? Yes. Sometimes I think about it, but I immediately sweep that away because it would cause distraction.

“I am at the Parc des Princes and I need to find the right atmosphere.”

For a reasonable price I'd take him at Utd but he'd be a squad player and he's clearly not happy with that

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:43 pm 
Major General
Major General

PSG bought him just to sweeten up French FA ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:18 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

They probably needed him for the home grown quota and yes they were getting flack for not signing French players and he was the best one he could get at the time.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:21 am 
Major General
Major General

To impress the fools tbh .. they will never invest in french youth players and care about it ..its just a project to them ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:09 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Paris St-Germain defender David Luiz has accused the media of a lack of respect, after he dismissed widespread stories that he is a virgin.

The reports started after the former Chelsea man, 28, said on Instagram he "would wait" until he is married before having sex with his girlfriend.

"People are saying things everywhere about whether I'm a virgin or not," Luiz told BBC's Football Focus.

"I'm not a virgin. I've had more than one girlfriend in my life."

He added: "Some people in the press don't respect people in life. I can put my head on my pillow and sleep great because I respect everyone."

Luiz has also posted a photo of himself being baptised in a pool belonging to PSG team-mate Maxwell.

"My religion, my baptism, I'm very happy," he added.

Luiz made 143 appearances for Chelsea and scored 12 goals before moving to Paris for a reported £40m last June.

His goal helped knock Chelsea out of the Champions League earlier this season as the Ligue 1 champions reached the quarter-finals before losing to finalists Barcelona.

"We are building things," said the Brazil international.

"We are at a great level now. We've won three titles now in France. We are fighting in the Champions League because that is our ambition also.

"We lost to Barcelona, one of the best clubs in the world who, for a long time, have had the same philosophy. We are improving, year by year.

"I want to win the Champions League next season. I will do everything to win that. Everyone in the club will do the same. The fans support us a lot, they want that just like us. So we are working together."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Deffo a Virgin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:57 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Paris Saint-Germain have had their UEFA Financial Fair Play (FFP) restrictions lifted, according to reports in France.

The Qatari-owned club could renew their interest in Angel Di Maria, Cristiano Ronaldo and Hugo Lloris after proving to UEFA they will be debt-free by the end of next season.

PSG were told in May 2014 they could not spend over 60 million euros (£42.5m) on players this summer and also had restrictions on their squad size after the club broke FFP rules.

UEFA's new ruling means the Parisians can increase the size of their Champions League squad from 21 to 25 players next season, newspaper L'Equipe reported.

Laurent Blanc's side have spent 12m euros (£8.5m) on signing defender Serge Aurier on a four-year deal from Toulouse.

UEFA have indicated it would lift the rules on club spending in a bid to make teams more competitive and ensure clubs are more attractive to new investors.

PSG have been linked with a host of Premier League players including Di Maria, who has said he wants to stay at Old Trafford despite a difficult first season following his £59.7 million move last summer.

So basically we're back to the wild wild west where clubs can spend whatever they want on whatever they want.

Bet there's a whole host of players/agents rubbing their hands together with this news expect big bids for Lloris & Pogba as they look to sign the big french names wouldn't be surprised if they started chasing Benzema as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:59 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Thiago Motta has revealed he is open to an Internazionale return. The Italy international is under contract with the Ligue 1 champions for another season but is a reported target of several European clubs this summer.

Motta’s former clubs Atlético Madrid and Inter are keen to acquire the 32-year-old’s services, and after three-and-a-half years in Paris, the Brazilian-born player is ready for a change.

“I get the impression that a cycle is coming to an end for me,” Motta said to Gazzetta dello Sport. “I have given and received so much. It would be more comfortable to stay, but I wouldn’t be honest with myself, nor the club, which I have grown to love. It’s not a question of money, but of motivation.”

Motta has made 85 appearances since joining PSG from Inter in 2012.

“I have spent three-and-a-half years there, but it seems a lot more to me,” he said. “I think I have given everything by now. Returning to Inter would be a real challenge, as [Roberto] Mancini has shown with his choice to join the club again at a delicate moment. It would be stimulating but also natural to rediscover a place where I won everything.”

Motta spent three seasons at Inter and won the Serie A, Coppa Italia and Champions League in his first season – 2009-10 – with the Nerazzurri. Earlier in his career he had played with Barcelona and Atlético Madrid.

Motta spent the 2007-08 campaign at Atlético but played limited games due to a recurring knee injury.

“Atlético is the same argument as Inter,” Motta said. “Atlético are fighting at the summit of European and Spanish football, which isn’t easy when you have Real Madrid and Barcelona as rivals.

“For me it would be just as motivating and I would give everything to do what I couldn’t manage to do the first time round because of injuries.”

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:26 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Tottenham midfielder Benjamin Stambouli has joined French champions Paris St-Germain on a five-year deal for a fee reported to be about £6m.

The former France Under-21 player made just 12 appearances for Spurs after joining from Montpellier in September.

Stambouli, 24, was in the Montpellier squad that won the 2012 Ligue 1 title.

"France is going to rediscover a player that was full of promise when he was playing in Ligue 1," said PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi.

In total, Stambouli made 129 appearances for Montpellier before making the move to the Premier League.

"I wasn't necessarily planning to leave the Premier League after one year but when a club with the dimension of Paris St-Germain calls you, it makes your choice a lot easier," he said.

I'm guessing with Cabaye leaving they wanted to keep the number of French players up.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:27 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Paris Saint-Germain defender David Luiz says he would not return to the French capital if the decision was left to him to make.

The former Chelsea centre-back is currently on international duty with Brazil but is due to return to Europe after the World Cup qualifier against Peru on Tuesday night.

Luiz is said to have strong concerns about going back to Paris, where over 130 people were killed in a series of terrorist attacks on Friday night.

"I have my girlfriend and some family and friends in Paris," Luiz said. "They were all very sad and scared. I don't know what I'm going to do and whether I will head back.

"Playing for PSG is my job but if it were up to me then I would not go back."

PSG are not due to play at home until the game against Troyes on November 28 - they play at Lorient on Saturday and have a Champions League tie at Malmo in between those two Ligue 1 fixtures.

Edinson Cavani is also understood to have expressed concerns about returning to Paris.

The striker is reported to have told his Uruguay team-mate Alvaro Gonzalez of his reluctance to go back.

Gonzalez said: "This is horrible, for football and for the city.They spoke of the fact that David Luiz would not return to Paris and Edinson said he would rather not have to go either."

As a resident of Paris he needs to go back and stand with the people of Paris who've been paying him a fortune.

See Angel life in Cheshire isn't so bad after all :doh:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:14 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Paris St-Germain coach Laurent Blanc has signed a contract extension, committing him to the club until 2018.

The ex-France defender took over from Carlo Ancelotti in June 2013, leading them to two league titles, including last season's domestic treble.

PSG are 24 points clear at the top of Ligue 1, unbeaten domestically this season and face Chelsea in the Champions League last 16.

"I want to thank the club for the faith they put in me," said Blanc.

"There's still one competition that has eluded us - the Champions League - and it's very difficult to win. But one day, Paris St-Germain will win it."

I think France is now hands down the league where the best team in the league is so much better than everyone else.

Hard to knock what Blanc has done they seem to be a pretty good group the only trouble he has is Cavani who's getting a bit sick of playing on the wing but he doesn't really strop about it on the pitch and this season they don't seem to have those lapses against smaller sides where they'd draw silly games because they've switched off.

I think behind the obvious big 3 heavy hitters PSG are currently the next best team in Europe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:01 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Paris St-Germain right-back Serge Aurier has been suspended indefinitely after appearing to use homophobic language to insult coach Laurent Blanc.

The Ivorian, 23, was also shown calling team-mate Angel di Maria a "clown" as he answered questions from fans on social media app Periscope.

PSG play Chelsea in the Champions League on Tuesday.

Aurier later apologised saying: "What I did was really stupid and inexcusable. I really regret what happened."

He told Canal Plus and Bein Sports: "I apologise to the coach and the supporters. I accept all consequences and can only thank Laurent Blanc for all that he has done for me at PSG."

In March 2015, Aurier was banned for three European matches after insulting referee Bjorn Kuipers on Facebook.

Aurier made comments about Kuipers after he sent off PSG striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic in a Champions League draw against Chelsea.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:34 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Ezequiel Lavezzi has signed for a chinese club for..well.. 400k per week :| :ohmy:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:49 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Nee-mania Vidic wrote:
Ezequiel Lavezzi has signed for a chinese club for..well.. 400k per week :| :ohmy:

Have a look in the Chinese Football Thread you can read all about it there :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:49 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
It is in the nature of sport to make a mockery of predictions. The best bit of TV commentary on the 1970 World Cup is the BBC’s response to Pelé’s team of all the talents falling behind in their opening game after a horrendous piece of defending: “And Brazil … have confirmed everything we ever knew about them,” crows the voice down the line from Guadalajara. Cue an effortless 4-1 fightback defeat of Czechoslovakia and three weeks of the most vital attacking football the world has seen.

Paris Saint-Germain may be some way off fulfilling their owners’ ambitions of scaling such heights. But for now it would be similarly foolish to take too much comfort from Manchester City’s slight but significant advantage after Wednesday’s thrilling 2-2 draw at Parc des Princes.

City will walk out at the Etihad Stadium wearing (as the phrase goes) a suit of armour in the shape of two priceless away goals. Blaise Matuidi and David Luiz will both be absent suspended. Not much of a loss in the latter case, some might say; but only those who weren’t at Stamford Bridge around the same time the last two years.

Still, though there was a sense by the final whistle at the Parc des Princes that Laurent Blanc’s team had confirmed one or two things we might have known about them. Not least that it isn’t always easy being PSG.

The most interesting passage in the game came shortly after the home team had taken the lead through the Parisian Adrien Rabiot (one of two on the pitch: Eliaquim Mangala is a fellow child of the Banlieu). PSG bent their backs and pushed hard, sensing a familiar crumple-point. City pushed back, hung in there, and scored at the other end.

Facing their most capable opponents since Real Madrid in November France’s serial champions didn’t quite have the extra gears to hand, the muscle-memory of needing to find some further note of precision to get over the line.

It goes without saying PSG are still well capable of winning this tie, indeed of winning it in the opening 20 minutes next week if they get a clear run at City’s clanky defence. Ángel Di María will surely play better than this on his return to Manchester. Zlatan Ibrahimovic doesn’t have two off-nights in a row very often.

For now, though, Wednesday night can stand as that rare thing in recent times – a genuine boost for the Premier League’s self-esteem in the Champions League. England’s fourth-placed club are just a home draw away from eliminating France’s runaway title winners, a result that would stand as the best Premier League performance since Chelsea won the competition four years ago. By the end – wonders! – there were even a couple of Englishmen on the pitch

If this is all deeply presumptuous at the halfway stage then there was at least a corresponding gloom on Thursday morning in parts of the French sporting press. “PSG seriously complicate their life,” was Le Figaro’s angsty headline, above a report that was down on Zlatan in particular, “si epoustouflant en Ligue 1” but so “banal” here.

“Rageant” was the overall verdict. “Infuriating”. And the wider frustration might become significant should PSG once again exit at this stage, this time to a club of similar standing. It isn’t hard to see where much of the soul-searching would focus. The Premier League likes to moan about its own relentlessness but an absence of intensity can also present a problem. There is to the casual visitor a slightly dawdling, preening, self-congratulatory air to this glitzy club.

The atmosphere inside the stadium is more a kind of flag-waving pomp, enjoyment of the wider event-glamour of the occasion. There was no lack of intensity on the pitch. The spirit among the players, as it was in the defeat of Chelsea, is clearly very strong. But there is perhaps an outer limit to all this.

In an interview with the Daily Telegraph on the morning of this match Lucas Moura, bought for a vast sum three years ago, talked about how much he loved visiting the Eiffel Tower and living in Paris. Which is nice. But he’s 23 years old and at a point in his vital prime where the most helpful emotions are desperation, hunger, gnawing fear of failure.

Who wants a European Super League anyway? Not so much the Premier League, which has a lucrative, functioning product as things stand. But Qatar surely does, and you can see why. If PSG do fail to get through this tie then Blanc’s team will have had no more than four really significant matches between December 2015 and the start of the next Champions League group stage in October. Sock-puppet super-clubs are all very well. But without anybody to actually conquer, taking over the world perhaps starts to lose its glitz.

All of which is of course just as precariously hostage to fortune as the BBC’s early call on Brazil 1970. Had the Serbian referee read Mangala’s clumsy challenge on Matuidi a little differently PSG might have been a goal and a man up before 10 minutes were out in Paris. Similarly, if Leicester City can tear Mancehster City’s defence apart at the Etihad Stadium you can be fairly sure PSG are capable, too.

And yet at half-time in the quarter‑final round it is still possible to imagine an unexpected opening up of the draw. Uefa wouldn’t like it much. Qatar would like it even less (although Abu Dhabi, Volkswagen and Atlético Madrid’s Chinese part-owners would be happy enough). But right now the Champions League semi-finals are just a favourable run of scores away from what American political theorists might call The King Power Possibility.

Wolfsburg have Real Madrid near, if not quite on, the ropes. Benfica are still in it against Bayern Munich. Even at 2-1 down Atlético are still the most likely candidates to arm-wrestle Barcelona into submission. A last four with only one previous winner, no super-brand mega-clubs and City’s newbies the only bottomless spenders left is a mild but still tangible possibility.

It almost certainly won’t work out like that. But if it does this will perhaps be a moment to celebrate such variation while it is still, just about, allowed to happen.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:15 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Laurent Blanc’s position as the manager of Ligue 1 champions Paris Saint-Germain looked in jeopardy on Friday when the club president, Nasser al-Khelaifi, described their season as a failure.

PSG achieved their second successive domestic treble by winning Ligue 1, the French Cup and the League Cup but Champions League progress stagnated as they lost in the quarter-finals for the fourth successive season.

“Honestly, I think we failed this season despite winning domestic trophies,” Khelaifi, in charge since Qatar Sports Investments took over in 2011 and spent vast sums of money on new players, told Le Parisien.

“We did not reach our goal so this is a bad season. I have been here for five years and it is the first time that we have this feeling of failure.”

Khelaifi pinpointed the Champions League defeat by Manchester City as his worst moment since he became president. PSG had been favourites but lost 3-2 on aggregate.

“It’s not just the fact that we lost in the quarter-finals of the Champions League, it’s the way it happened,” he said. “I am very disappointed. I did not feel there was pressure before the City games. This elimination is the worst moment since I have been in Paris. Two hours before the return leg I knew we were going to lose. I did not feel the players were ready … Whose fault is this?”

Khelaifi promised “big changes will come”. Asked if he still trusted Blanc, who took over from Carlo Ancelotti in 2013, he said: “I have supported him for three years. Now we have to think about what we are going to do next season to build a group that will be stronger at European level. I will not discuss individual cases. Big changes will come, a new cycle will start.”

With the team’s talisman Zlatan Ibrahimovic gone, Khelaifi hinted at a change in the club’s recruitment policy. “We’re going to recruit players who will bring more to the team. At the beginning we needed players to develop our image. Now we need players who are ready to die for the club and for that shirt.”

Being linked to Simeone

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:33 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Unai Emery has informed Sevilla of his wish to leave the club amid interest from Paris Saint-Germain, with the La Liga club confirming they have lined up the Argentinian Jorge Sampaoli as his replacement.

Emery, who led Sevilla to three Europa League titles in a row, is understood to be the favoured choice of the PSG president, Nasser al-Khelaifi, who earlier this month promised “big changes will happen” and publicly criticised the incumbent manager, Laurent Blanc.

While Blanc has not officially departed Parc des Princes, Khelaifi called PSG’s season, in which they won a domestic treble but were knocked out of the Champions League in the quarter-finals by Manchester City, a “failure” and said the club “must start a new cycle.”

Impressed by Emery’s accomplishments in continental competition, Khelaifi is now expected to begin formal contract discussions with the 44-year-old, although reports in France say there has already been contact between the parties. A deal may be confirmed this week.

Emery was also recently linked with the position at Everton but they are still expected to announce Ronald Koeman’s move from Southampton to Goodison Park in the coming days as Roberto Martínez’s successor.

Sampaoli, out of work since resigning from his position as head coach of Chile in January, will fly to Seville on Monday to discuss taking over at the Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán. The 56-year-old has enjoyed considerable success in South America but has not managed in Europe before. Sampaoli has previously said he missed out on the Chelsea job because his English was not good enough. Instead, that job went to the departing Italy coach, Antonio Conte.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next