AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Borussia Dortmund: Hipster Paradise
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:30 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Borussia Dortmund coach Jürgen Klopp said his side’s football was “pointless” after they fell to their fifth defeat in eight league games on Saturday – a result which leaves them 14th in the Bundesliga table, 13 points behind leaders Bayern Munich.

A 2-1 loss at Cologne plummeted the club into their “worst situation in years”, in the words of director of sport Michael Zorc – and Klopp did not beat about the bush either.

“We played a kind of football which is absolutely pointless,” Klopp said at the post-match press conference.

“We misplaced so many passes in the first half and made simple mistakes which can be explained in a whole host of ways, but still should not be happening. We’ve just got to face the music once again.”

The afternoon had started promisingly for Dortmund, with İlkay Gündoğan lining up for the first time in 14 months and both Marco Reus and Henrikh Mkhitaryan back from injuries.

The return of that trio appeared more to unsettle the side than to help them out of their current crisis, which has instead thickened ahead of a crucial trip to Turkey to play Galatasaray in the Champions League.

“We just made it too easy for our opponents,” Klopp said. “We’ve got to eradicate these mistakes. Not tomorrow, not the day after but straight away. We are almost always scoring goals and if we didn’t concede any, then the situation would look completely different. We’ve got to resolve this and nobody’s going to help us.”

Really struggling in the league this season.

Has the Klopp bubble burst? They were miles off Bayern in the league last season as well

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:27 am 
Major General
Major General

Lots of injuries did harm their cause .. Hummels have not been 100% injury free since WC .. Reus injured ..Gundogan .. Recently kagawa .. Nurin Sahin and Schmelzer and few others ..Dortmund arent side filled with superstars they did rely on big guns for major contribution and others work well around them to
operate as team .. Dortmunds major cog is pressing game ..it takes toll on players ans when they are injured or either coming coming back from injury you cant expect them close down opponents quickly ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:50 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

There's trouble in paradise! :|

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:55 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Marco Reus insists his future is the last of his concerns amid growing reports Bayern Munich are to activate a buy-out clause in his contract and sign him next summer.

The Borussia Dortmund forward is contracted to the Westphalian club until 2017 but, as was the case with Mario Gotze who moved to Bayern in 2013, he is free to leave for a predetermined sum in the summer.

Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has fuelled speculation his side are going to make their bid for the player by writing in his club's matchday magazine that they are "always looking to strengthen our team".

"How did Marco Reus join Dortmund? Borussia activated a clause in his contract with Monchengladbach," Rummenigge continued.

With the speculation rising, Reus has now broken his own silence on the issue with a statement on his website.

"Right now there is a lot of talk about my future," he wrote. "There is a lot of speculation and a lot being written, which is why I just wanted to tell you that at the moment other people seem to be giving are more consideration to my future than I am."

One of the latest reports was that Reus was going to meet with Bayern bosses this weekend to thrash out terms.

"The only thing that is definitely correct is that we are on the way to Munich to collect points with Dortmund," Reus added.

"Hopefully afterwards we will return home with three points for Dortmund."

I think Dortmund get a bit of a rough deal with their players being linked to other clubs they pay well, play good football, have a good manager, get 80,000 to every home game & normally can offer CL football. So for their players especially the Germany ones like Reus & Hummells why would they want to leave?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:46 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Trophies? Munich get you trophies.

Dortmund are doing quite badly this season too

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:00 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Marco Reus, the Germany forward coveted by a number of leading Premier League clubs, will be out of action until January after suffering another ankle injury.

This time, though, it was the Borussia Dortmund player’s right ankle. It bore the brunt of an aggressive challenge from his former club-mate Marvin Bakalorz during the 2-2 draw at promoted Paderborn on Saturday and he was taken off on a stretcher.

Dortmund said on Sunday that Reus is not expected to resume training until the beginning of January meaning he will not play again before the Bundesliga’s winter break.

Reus missed the World Cup because of a left-ankle injury and was briefly sidelined recently by an injury to the same joint.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:14 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Jürgen Klopp had to face the music on Saturday. And boy, did he not like it. “They are celebrating an non-relegation party in the changing room next door,” the Dortmund manager noted grumpily at the Weserstadion, “I wouldn’t write us off yet”. Werder’s sporting director Thomas Eichin, one of those neighbourly revellers, later clarified that the home side had simply cheered “a win over Dortmund”, knowing full well that “nothing” was won in regards to staving off the drop. The northerners are 16th going into the Christmas break on 17 points, two better off than Dortmund. Only one goal separates them from bottom-of-the-table Freiburg.

Werder’s jubilations – and Eichin’s explanation – showed that last year’s runners-up are still considered a tough opponent, one of the league’s genuine big scalps. But that reputation is waning. The 2-1 defeat on Saturday was the 10th loss of the current campaign. Enough to make everyone concerned look like “total idiots,” as Klopp conceded with brutal honesty afterwards. “We have played the worst half of the season imaginable,” added captain Mats Hummels, who was heavily involved in all three goals of the afternoon but unfortunately only credited for one. “The worries have been there for weeks. The way we have been playing, we deserve to be down there”.

There was a logic in this game’s particular outcome, at least. Dortmund were poor throughout, low on confidence and cutting edge, well below par in terms of individual performances. But in most matches, they haven’t played nearly as badly as they did in Bremen. The unprecedented slump from double winners and Champions League finalists to Bundesliga basement dwellers in the space of 30 months remains a mystery.

Media debates have homed in on the most readily-available numbers: the poor goal-scoring return despite creating a wealth of chances, and a series of defensive black-outs by seasoned pros at the other side of the pitch. But blaming the for and against columns as the causes for the malaise is a bit like blaming a fever on a patient’s high temperature. Those numbers are only the symptoms of a much more complex condition.

Klopp’s main attempt to explain the riddle has focussed on the lack of a proper pre-season due to the World Cup and many injuries in the squad. Once the batteries were “full again” in the new year, he promised, “it will be much more difficult to beat us.” In other words, there’s nothing wrong with the footballing idea as such, only with its insufficient implementation.

It’s a typical response from a dogmatic manager. Before the away game at Paderborn, he scalded a local reporter for suggesting that other teams might have “found out” his side and developed strategies for countering Borussia’s high-pressing style. “I’m not looking for a fight, so I will even answer the stupid questions,” he shot back acidly, before going on to claim that Dortmund’s plight was all down to their own failings. “If you say we’ve been ‘found out’, what does that say about the work of opposition coaches for the last few years?”, he added. “Were they unable to see what our game is?”

It’s a salient point. Done correctly, with pace and precision, Dortmund’s game can overpower the best of teams, as Real Madrid and Bayern can testify from recent experiences. But their troubles to play with the required intensity and to do the right things in both penalty boxes aside, Klopp’s side could also be the victims of their own success. Bayern haven’t been the only team to copy at least part of the Dortmund blueprint and blunt the original’s innovative effect in the process. Synchronised pressure against the ball and rapid transition has become the new orthodoxy in the league, the playing style almost everybody aspires to; from the superb Augsburg (sixth!) to the remarkably resilient new boys Paderborn (10th), Dortmund’s competitive tactical advantage has been partially eroded.

That’s not a new phenomenon, either. In 2011-12, they won the league with a (then) new points record of 81. Six of those points came from two wins over Bayern. The next year, they finished considerably worse, with a total of 66 points that included two draws against Bayern. At the time, Dortmund still had Robert Lewandowski and Mario Götze in their ranks, too. Last season, they picked up 71 points, with one win and one defeat against Pep Guardiola’s side. Take out the results against the Bundesliga’s southern overlords and you’ll get an average points return against the 16 others in the league that has markedly decreased from 2.34 (2011-12) to 2 (2012-13) and 2.1 (2013-14).

As early as that 2012-13 season, some observers wondered whether Klopp’s all-or-nothing approach needed to be modified. Dortmund haven’t been able to do that. They remain hell-bent on full-throttle-football. Ilkay Gundogan, the one man who can most effectively vary the side’s tempo , is only slowly coming back to full fitness, and he has been lacking like-minded team-mates.

Dortmund’s game is all about verticality and quick shots on goal. Prising deep teams open is, not surprisingly, very difficult for them. A ‘plan b’ is easy for journalists to suggest but Dortmund-based Freddie Röckenhaus, of Süddeutsche Zeitung, is surely right to question whether Klopp has neglected to develop different, more mature facets to their game. “It could be that they have failed to add a bit of coolness to the underdog style of the boom years,” he wrote. “Dortmund don’t seem to be able to cut open teams with a surgical knife, unlike other top teams. At times, one feels that BVB are caught up in eternal adolescence and power-sapping exuberance, and that a more grown-up football style is not even wanted”.

It’s worth remembering at this point that Klopp had vowed to employ even more aggressive tactics before the start of the season. He’d promised to create a “pressing machine”. To that extent, Dortmund have played a lot of 4-4-2 this season. It’s been football without a safety net, reliant on the individual class of his defenders to cope in situations with numerical parity or worse. Injuries and loss of form for just about every defender in the squad has led to failure. So what’s next?

A meeting between Klopp, sporting director Michael Zorc and CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke on Sunday resolved that no drastic changes would be made. The coach has the backing of the board, while players and supporters are still firmly behind him. On Monday evening, the club announced the signing of Salzburg’s playmaker Kevin Kampl. The 24-year-old should add creativity and poise in the middle of the field. Recent history is also on their side: they tend to have a good second half of the season under Klopp.

But there’s a second, deeper worry here, one that will render the next six weeks off perhaps even more restless for everyone at the club than a look at the table. Coaches who demand Klopp’s level of work and tactical discipline from their players don’t tend to last very long at any particular club. Think Guardiola, José Mourinho, Marcelo Bielsa, even Ralf Rangnick: wear and tear - physically, mentally and in terms of relationships - always become a problem before too long.

Klopp is in his seventh season at Borussia. In modern terms, that’s an eternity. But the young players who have followed his instructions so slavishly – so much so that one or two commentators compared BVB to a cult with Klopp as the spiritual leader – are now a little older, perhaps a little wiser but maybe a little slower as well. Almost as shocking as Dortmund’s ineptitude on Saturday was the tired emptiness Klopp radiated after the final whistle. 2014-15 won’t mark the end of BVB’s membership in the top-flight. But it could well be the beginning of the end of the Klopp era, with all the vagaries that go with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:57 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Germany defender Mats Hummels has played down talk of him looking for a move away from Borussia Dortmund.

Hummels has been linked with Manchester United and Arsenal but, despite Dortmund's struggles in the Bundesliga this season, he appears set to stay loyal to Jurgen Klopp's side.

The 26-year-old centre-back has only played for two clubs in his entire career, joining Dortmund in 2008 on loan, and permanently in 2009, after coming through the youth ranks at Bayern Munich.

“I am not really known as a globetrotter," Hummels said. "I have been with two clubs in 26 years. Loyalty is important to me.

"The only thing I am concerned with right now is to play better than in the first half of the season. I was not satisfied at all with myself as one can imagine.

"I have gotten offers from different clubs ever since I have been with Dortmund. That’s not a secret. I have always decided not to leave."

But Hummels did leave the door open to a move at some point in his career, as he added: "I think I have made some good decisions and I want to make those in the future as well.

"I have never said I will stay until 2024 or 2030 or whenever… but I have stayed until today. I will stick to my way of not promising anything and maybe leave someday, instead of saying I will stay forever and then leave all of a sudden.”

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:02 pm 
Major General
Major General

Short version i can leave if Klopp doesnt fix this soon ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:52 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The 2011 and 2012 champions, and last season's runners-up, suffered their 11th league loss in front of 80,000 spectators at the Westfalenstadion.

Roman Weidenfeller and Mats Hummels were seen conversing with spectators.

Raul Bobadilla scored the only goal of the game in the 50th minute.

Augsburg's Christoph Janker was sent off midway through the second half for bringing down Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.

Dortmund boss Jurgen Klopp said: "We can be accused of anything tonight and it is all justified. Battling also means having the courage to take the right decision. We were missing that tonight."

Hummels said: "If one is in this position after 19 games then it would be unacceptable not to have understanding for the fans' reactions."

Dortmund have 16 points from 19 games, although Jurgen Klopp's men are only two points from safety.

They remain in the Champions League, with a knockout-round match against Juventus coming up on 24 February, but the team make-up is very different to the one that finished runners-up in Europe's premier club competition in the 2012-13 season.

The club have sold key players since winning consecutive league titles, with striker Robert Lewandowski and midfielder Mario Gotze going to arch-rivals Bayern Munich.

And for periods of the season so far, they have been without the likes of World Cup-winning defender Hummels, Marco Reus, Jakub Blaszczykowski, Ilkay Gundogan and Nuri Sahin.

Despite their predicament, Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke recently said there was no reason to doubt coach Klopp.

Elsewhere, Hamburg eased their relegation troubles with a 3-0 win over Paderborn, ending a 398-minute league goal drought.

A penalty awarded after just eight seconds - the fastest since timings were introduced in the 2004-05 season - was converted by Rafael van der Vaart to give the northern German side the lead.

Marcell Jansen and Zoltan Schieber scored the other two in a victory that moved Hamburg to 13th spot on 20 points.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:31 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

wow...just wow!!

bottom of the league after 3 seasons of success... :ohmy: something tells me that the reus,the hummels ,the gundogans and the weidenfellers of the world have already had their head turned..

on the positive side,they can take inspiration from Redknapp's Spurs who were in a similar situation,only to rally in the later half of the season

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:47 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Nee-mania Vidic wrote:
wow...just wow!!

bottom of the league after 3 seasons of success... :ohmy: something tells me that the reus,the hummels ,the gundogans and the weidenfellers of the world have already had their head turned..

on the positive side,they can take inspiration from Redknapp's Spurs who were in a similar situation,only to rally in the later half of the season

I've read a few bits and they've been hammered by injury this season which has exposed a lack of depth in the squad and the signings just haven't settled in as well as they'd hoped mainly the replacements for Gotze & Lewandowski as they just can't score goals. I think it was only just before the winter break that they managed to field the first choice back 4 together for the first time since they CL final vs Bayern in 2013!

The bits I've read seem to suggest they dominate the game and batter most teams but they don't score then get done on the break or every mistake is punished they have actually been playing alright but they just aren't getting the points on the board.

There are other arguments that suggest some of the guys are just physically shot after 4 seasons of playing the high intensity football Klopp asks of his players they just can't quite reach those levels. The pressing game they play requires incredible levels of organisation and intensity if one person doesn't press in the right way it is easily countered as a man gets free and the opposition escape.

Redknapp took over a team who had 2 points after 9 games or something like that Dortmund are over half way through the season and bottom of the league this is almost unheard of.

Dortmund are only 3 points off safety so it's far from curtains and you imagine they'll get themselves out of trouble but they have no chance of CL next season and that might see the big names demand move. Reus is reported to be off to Madrid & Hummels is heavily linked to Utd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:17 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Highscores: 8
Quote:
Marco Reus has disappointed a host of top European clubs by signing a new contract with Borussia Dortmund. The deal ties the Germany forward to the club until 2019.

“I am very happy with my decision to stay at BVB,” said Reus. “Dortmund is my home town and Borussia simply my club. I am looking forward to a successful future with our team and our fantastic fans supporting us. There is a lot to do and I want to be part of that.”

The German newspaper Kicker reports that Reus has turned down an offer at Real Madrid in order to sign the deal at his hometown club, while he has been regularly linked with moves to the Premier League – with Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester City all mentioned as possible destinations – previously this season.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:16 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Some suggestions are that he has signed a new contract purely for Dortmund to be able to command a better fee. We'll see in the summer I guess. I've heard he hasn't been anywhere near as good this season, but then I think that could apply to most players in their squad (have also heard Hummels has been well below his normal standards).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:18 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
Good on him, gets on my tits players running down their contract and leaving for nothing when a club has invested a load of money in them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:22 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Reus has been injured for nearly the whole season when he's played he's done well Hummells is a different story he's making mistakes (not unusual for him) and they are paying the price.

The core of the problem for them this season is they don't score enough goals they create plenty of chances but they don't take them the 2 strikers who came in this summer Imobille and Ramos have only scored 5 goals between them Lewendowski on his own would normally be on at least double that by now.

If you don't score goals to kill teams off you are always liable to lose games you've dominated as no matter who you are the opposition will always get a chance in 90 minutes of football.

As for him signing a new contract people need to remember that he probably sees Dortmund in the same way Totti sees Roma or Scholes saw Utd. They are his hometown club that he's supported since he was a kid so he has an attachment to them and it might be the case that he's really happy with his life in Dortmund so why would he want to leave?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:54 pm 
Major General
Major General

Won 3-0 against frieburg

Post subject: Klopp
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:41 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
About to resign so rumour has it.

Probably for city then, could throw Hummels to united down the swanny

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:42 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

It's been confirmed Klopp will leave Dortmund at the end of the season.

Quote:
Borussia Dortmund have confirmed coach Jurgen Klopp will leave the Bundesliga club at the end of the season.

The 47-year-old German asked to be released from his contract, which had been due to run until 2018.

He has coached Dortmund since 2008, taking them to two league titles and the Champions League final in 2012-13.

City is the obvious link but lets not rule out Madrid Ancelotti is on a tight rope even if they win the league/champs league this season he could be gone you could easily see Ancelotti as the man who ends up at City with Klopp at Madrid. Ancelotti is almost the perfect man for City his track record of getting the best out of big names is sort of his unique selling point being able to manage the biggest egos and get them to perform.

I doubt it will effect a deal for Hummells as Madrid/City don't need to buy CB's and the way Dortmund are setup the manager wouldn't have to much say on transfers anyway.

If Klopp & Hummells both leave this summer though it sort of spells the end for that great period of Dortmund they'll rebuild under a new manager but the team have had a few seasons back was brilliant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:23 pm 
Major General
Major General

Dont want him or ancelotti at city .. :|

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next