AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: UEFA Champions League 2014/15
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:25 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The Champions League final could be played outside of Europe according to new Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin.

The Slovenian will revive an open bidding process to host the final and is open to it being staged in New York.

"It might be an idea but we have to speak about it," said Ceferin, 49, who was named head of European football's governing body last month.

The 61 finals have all been held in Europe but Ceferin said travel to the US would be "no problem" for fans.

He added: "To go from Portugal to Azerbaijan for example is almost the same or the same as if you go to New York.

"It's a European competition so let's think about it.''

Under the current process, Uefa awards the finals without any tendering process, with stadium hosts decided in secret by the leadership.

"The bidding process should be very clear because if you get the Champions League finals or Europa league finals as a political favour then it's not OK," Ceferin said.

The former Slovenian Football Association chief said he would not sacrifice the competition's success by changing kick-off times, usually 19:45 BST, to suit worldwide markets.

"From a financial point of view it's not ideal," Ceferin said. "We should think also about other markets, but how to do it exactly I'm not sure yet.

"China is financially interesting and the US is not just financially interesting, but football is growing there."

The Champions League final has been played on a Saturday since 2010 and is currently the only game not played in midweek.

Ceferin said one idea to increase viewers would be to also move the semi-finals to a weekend.

"There are some ideas about that - China is not asleep because it's Saturday and they can watch," he said.

"But there are many problems concerning that with the calendar of the leagues.

"National leagues are too important. You have the Premier League which is very strong."

North Atlantic League 'a bad but absolutely necessary' idea

The North Atlantic League - a proposed alternative to the Champions League involving teams from smaller European nations - is getting closer to reality because of Uefa's mismanagement of the European game according to Claus Thomsen, the chief executive of the Danish Superliga.

A reorganisation of the Champions League means that Europe's top four leagues are guaranteed four places each in the tournament from 2018-19.

That move has prompted Europe's smaller league to investigate whether it would make more financial sense to commit to an independent breakaway competition.

"The consideration in the Danish league will be what provides the most value to Danish football, and If Uefa doesn't change its decision, it may very well be the Atlantic League that provides the most value," Thomsen told BBC World Service's World Football show.

"I think it is basically a bad idea, but I think it is a absolutely necessary idea if Uefa leaves the principle of sporting merits being the basic value of European football.

"It is a serious option. Uefa should get back to being for the good of football and I sincerely hope they do so."

Former Scottish Football Association chief executive Gordon Smith says that he believes that Celtic and Rangers - Scotland's two biggest clubs - are receptive to joining a breakaway competition.

"I think they are keen on this idea. They are definitely involved in the discussions," he said.

"They see the fact that the money coming in for Scottish clubs is very low compared to across the border in England and the gulf is going to grow."

Two ways of looking at this European Football sells TV rights all over the world and fans from all over the world help clubs sell shirts and generate sponsorship revenue and in return apart from sh*t pre season friendlies they get little chance to see their team in a big game that actually matters.

In European terms they find it hard to actually find grounds suitable to host these games as there's only a small number of stadiums that hold over 70,000 people in Europe so the final tends to be in the same sort of places all the time.

However, you get fans who go all over Europe watching the team away through the group stage and knockout stage then you're going to say for the final they need to travel to New York imo that's not really on. The people in New York who could afford a ticket to this sort of event are probably the sort of fans who could afford to travel to Europe to go and see Madrid, Barca, Utd etc play in a game.

UEFA will sell this as little johnny from the Bronx can see his heroes but the reality is they're thinking Wall Street w*nkers will pay a fortune for these tickets.

I think the clubs will happily go for it as they'll just see more money at the end of it but the fans will be against it

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:35 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Man City 3-1 Barcelona

Barca went 1-0 up but were blown away 2nd half by City

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:57 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Ludogerets 2 Arsenal 3

I am jealous of the way our league peers are playing this term. Any other season and you would expect the likes of Arsenal to fold at 2-0 down

:rant:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:12 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Not nice when the shoe is on the other foot is it.

Arsenal being qualified from the group after 4 games does feel like footballs broken a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:40 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Gareth scored a 'sublimer' against Legia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:14 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Spurs lost both home games at Wembley people saying it's some sort of curse the English team has lost the last 5 times they've played at Wembley in a Champions League game.

Arsenal to Barca/Fiorentina in group stages in 98-99, Utd vs Barca in final in 2011 & Spurs vs Monaco & Leverkusen.

I think it's simple Arsenal back in 99 I think were in their first proper CL season and it's the same for this Spurs team it takes a couple of years for players to work it out at this level very few teams hit the ground running. Spurs did it under Redknapp and Leicester have done it this year but neither of those sides were also challenging for league titles in that season.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:23 pm 
Major General
Major General

Spurs did sold lot of Hot dogs :D

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:46 pm 
Major General
Major General

Leicester through to last 16 .. 5 Matches 13 points and nailed on to finish top .. spurs out .. Dortmund 8-4 Warsaw ...

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:54 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Bet the 2nd placed teams will all want Leicester

Cheating themselves in the league by saving themselves for these games

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:09 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Group Winners

Arsenal, Napoli, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Monaco, Borussia Dortmund, Leicester, Juventus

Runners Up

Paris St-Germain, Benfica, Manchester City, Bayern Munich, Bayer Leverkusen, Real Madrid, Porto, Sevilla

So the way the draw works in the next round is you can't get the team who came out of your group or a team from your own country.

Leicester ~ can play Paris St-Germain, Benfica, Manchester City, Bayern Munich, Bayer Leverkusen, Real Madrid, Porto, Sevilla
Arsenal ~ can play Paris St-Germain, Benfica, Manchester City, Bayern Munich, Bayer Leverkusen, Real Madrid, Porto, Sevilla
City ~ can play Arsenal, Napoli, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Monaco, Borussia Dortmund, Leicester, Juventus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:24 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Leicester vs Sevilla
Monaco vs Man City
Arsenal vs Bayern Munich

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:39 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Man City vs Monaco
Real Madrid vs Napoli
Benfica vs Borussia Dortmund
Bayern Munich vs Arsenal
Porto vs Juventus
Bayer Leverkusen vs Atletico Madrid
PSG VS Barcelona
Sevilla vs Leicester

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:06 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
That's a very winnable game for Leicester. Arsenals champions league curse continues. Wouldn't have mattered if they'd come second in the group either. Barca would have been waiting.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:42 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I dunno Sevilla are a seasoned side in European competition and they're currently 3rd in La Liga 1 point behind Barca and 4 behind Madrid this is a very good side this year.

I think they'd be performing miracles to go any further with this team

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:27 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

2-0 PAG and Barca looking troubled

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:22 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

4-0 now. Outrageous performance from PSG. The dirty Argentinian twat got 2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:17 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

what the fuck just happened. :ohmy:

Mr. Snake with two belters

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:07 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Been told that Di Maria been poor this season as well but he looked electric last night seemed to be playing central off Cavani and have read that Draxler coming in has given the team a bit of a lift going forward.

I only say about 10-15 minutes in the first half but Barca were just run off the pitch given no time to settle on the ball all over PSG would be straight into them and then just fly forward to expose the gaps the team left.

I'm guessing this will be Luis Enrique's last season at the club as they do like to freshen it up every few years.

In the bit of a game I saw Messi looked like he was playing very deep and he looked way off the pace but if any club in Europe can overturn a 4-0 defecit at home it's this Barca team but you have to imagine that this is curtains for them this year.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:50 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Rio Ferdinand and Steven Gerrard have criticised Lionel Messi for his “sloppy” performance in Barcelona’s shock 4-0 loss to Paris Saint-Germain in the Champions League.

The La Liga champions were blown away on Tuesday night by the French giants with goals coming from Angel di Maria – who scored twice – Julian Draxler and Edinson Cavani.

Five-time Ballon d’Or winner Messi couldn’t get into the game at the Parc des Princes with Ferdinand unimpressed by the Argentinian’s reaction.

“His reaction there was poor,” Ferdinand told BT Sport. “All night he was sloppy.

“He looked dejected and bereft of ideas, [but] he’s human.”

Gerrard agreed with the former Manchester United defender, he said: “He showed zero effort. No reaction all night.”

Following the match, PSG winger Angel di Maria said: “It’s hard to think of a better birthday or a better performance than this.

“Our aim is to reach the final and win the Champions League. We are getting there gradually and moving forward – this was a tough game against one of the best teams in the world, so we did a great job.

“We’ve been showing this for a few years now. We controlled the game for 90 minutes. It’s not easy to control Neymar, (Luis) Suarez and (Lionel) Messi but we managed it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:19 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Wenger's side carved apart in the second half. and honestly it could have been more, but for some decent saves by Ospina

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next