The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: A (not so) Sick Old Lady
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:02 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

A lot of Italian journalists also reporting that Juventus can spend that money without having to sell they've had some very good years financially since moving into the new stadium and they're picking up huge CL money because they're the only team who regularly make the knockout rounds.

English/Spanish clubs normally get less of the knockout round money because it's split over the number of teams still in the competition.

It's a stupid sum to pay but Juventus are determined to make a splash in the CL and signing arguably the best number 9 in European Football last season sends out a real message. Suarez & Lewendowski would obviously dispute that accolade but to break Serie A records that have existed since the 1930's in a team that didn't win the league is ridiculous.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:45 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Kaveh Solhekol ‏@SkyKaveh 4h4 hours ago
Axel Witsel deal off. Juventus furious with Zenit St Petersburg. Witsel spent 13 hours at Juventus HQ today waiting for clubs to agree deal :ohmy:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:04 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Had a knock on effect with Hernanes staying rather than going to Genoa.

Apparently Witsel is likely to now join on a free next summer when his contract expires.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:13 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Juventus defender Leonardo Bonucci will watch Wednesday's Champions League last-16 first leg against FC Porto from the stands, the club has confirmed.

Bonucci, 29, rowed with Juve boss Massimiliano Allegri after Friday's 4-1 win over Palermo in Serie A.

"It is a justified decision, out of respect to the team, the supporters and the club," said Allegri.

Bonucci has also been fined by the club after the bust up in which he was accused of swearing at his manager.

He said he accepted that his own conduct was "inappropriate" and revealed he would be making a donation to charity to make amends.

Fellow defenders Andrea Barzagli and Giorgio Chiellini are both doubts for the match with thigh strains, while Porto have no injury concerns.

Juventus were beaten finalists in 2015 and are among the favourites to lift the trophy in Cardiff in May.

A renewed rivalry between two legends

Wednesday's game will be the 17th time goalkeepers Gianluigi Buffon and Iker Casillas have faced each other.

Their rivalry goes back almost two decades and Porto's Casillas, 35, is stll full of admiration for 39-year-old Buffon.

"I am lucky enough to be younger than Gigi. I was 14 when I started and he was 18; I was able to see and appreciate his style and personality," said Casillas.

"As I grew up, I looked up to him and then we evolved together and we've had similar careers.

"Ours is a healthy, positive rivalry. We really appreciate each other and playing against him is always a pleasure."

Easy to forget how big a legend of the game Buffon can probably make a strong case for him being the best of all time bit like Van Der Sar he's maintained a high level for so long for both his club side and the national side plus he's one cool motherf*cka