AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Joey Barton Finks
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:43 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
"I understand the distress I have caused to everyone concerned and want to apologise for my actions. I am grateful for the support I have received from the club and my friends and family."

"When people talk about my dark days, when I sit down and think about it - the misdemeanours I've had in the real world, with the things that go on - the things I have done are stupid and foolish."

"I'm not the first person to mess up, and I have messed up on more than one occasion. But nothing sobers you up like the reality of going to prison. That's it. I know it's the last chance saloon. I am just thankful that I have got that opportunity."

It's weird. Whenever RJ hears Joey Barton speak, he seems like a sensible, erudite and above all contrite young man.

And after all, we've had plenty of opportunity to hear him being contrite.

The first quote above was given in December 2004, shortly after he stubbed a cigar out in Jamie Tandy's eye at a Manchester City Christmas party.

The second quote above was given in August 2007, commenting while he was on bail for the assault on Ousmane Dabo, and before he commited another assault on a man in Liverpool city centre in December 2007.

And the final quote above was given yesterday.

So who still thinks Mr Barton deserves another chance?

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Contrition: The Barton Way
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:43 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

From Joey Barton's interview with The BBC's Inside Sport in December 2007.

Gabby Logan: "You don't want to keep on making mistakes and justifying them do you?

Joey Barton: "No, of course not."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:45 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

If RJ were Joey Barton....well, if RJ were Joey Barton we would no longer have a job, but anyway. If Mediawatch were Joey Barton, and we were giving a contrite and image-saving interview, we might choose our words very, very carefully.

Thankfully RJ isn't Joey Barton. From F365:

"There are people that have been in jail longer than me. I was watching the boxing the other night and saw Bernard Hopkins.

"He had been in jail for four years and managed to turn his life around. I just have to try to take inspiration from that."

Now, again, if RJ were convicted criminal :sofa: and noted pugilist Joey Barton (who was sentenced to six months in prison for assault), and we were trying to rehabilitate ourselves, we would probably steer clear of comparing ourselves to convicted criminal and noted pugilist Bernard 'The Executioner' Hopkins (who was sentenced to five to twelve years and three to six years in prison for 'strong-arm' robbery and assault).

Maybe that's just me though.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:45 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

"I've got sort of a quirky personality" - Joey Barton.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:18 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

SOCCER thug Joey Barton admitted yesterday that many fans would like to see him DEAD.

In an incredibly frank interview, the Newcastle United star, who did time for assault and was banned for hitting a team-mate, said: “My reputation will precede me until the day I die. For some people, that probably can’t be quick enough.”

But the shamed yob believes he can become a role-model like David Beckham for kids — if he can stay off the booze.

Barton, 26 — set to make his Premier League comeback for Newcastle United on Saturday after a six-month ban — said he could only blame his “own stupidity” and not alcohol for turning him into a violent thug on and off the pitch.

The £5.8million midfielder was jailed for a brutal attack on a 16-year old at a McDonald’s in Liverpool last December.

Now, after serving 74 days of a six-month sentence, Barton claims he will become “a shining beacon for kids who have been in trouble before like myself”.

Barton — on the wagon for ten months and getting therapy at the Tony Adams Sporting Chance Clinic — said: “Nothing sobers you up like the reality of going to prison.

“That’s it. I know it’s the last chance saloon. I am just thankful that I’ve got that opportunity. Now it’s time for me to keep my head down and let my football do my talking.

“You can’t make everyone happy. I’ve probably made a lot more people unhappy than a normal person will.

“But young kids may look at the likes of Michael Owen and David Beckham who are unbelievable professionals and squeaky clean, and they can’t relate to them. I’ve met people on the street and in prison and they relate to you.

“When I speak I speak from experience about the things I have done wrong in my life and how I have tried to change them. I think they respect that.

“Hopefully I will be able to reach those people who have been unreachable.”

Mistakes

He added: “Prison wasn’t a nice experience and hopefully people can see the stupid mistakes I have made and think maybe they won’t make as many.

“I can be there — and be the role model that I haven’t been before.”

Barton’s comments will astonish supporters, who were outraged he was not flung out of the game after his unprovoked attack on Jordan Spencer.

The Sun told in January how the £63,000-a-week player — who punched the teenager 20 times, breaking his teeth — cried in his cell after being arrested.

He was jailed after pleading guilty to assault and affray.

But Newcastle didn’t want the costly player to leave the club for nothing after his release from Strangeways Prison in Manchester in July.

And old boss Kevin Keegan stuck by him.

The Sun told last month how part of Barton’s punishment included clearing rubbish with other criminals at a community centre in Prudhoe, Northumberland.

Now he is keen to keep up his community work and win back respect from Newcastle fans.

He said: “I am just trying to get my life back on track.

“There will be things I’ll be doing — especially with something like Sporting Chance and causes that are supported by the club.

“It’s important that I am able to do what I know about.

“In the local area and around the club I want to repay my debt to everyone who has had the embarrassment of having to read about me going out drinking and doing stupid things.”

Barton has just finished a six-month football ban for a training-ground attack on former Manchester City team-mate Ousmane Dabo last year.

The attack also earned him a four-month suspended prison sentence.

The Scouser said he was not using drink as an excuse for his “indefensible” history of violence.

He said: “There are bits of me that I don’t want to be. And the majority of those things come out when I am drinking.

Hell

“I don’t really want to use drink as an excuse but it was a major part of me messing up.”

He added: “I rightly deserve every bit of criticism that was levelled at me. I can’t stand here and try to defend myself because I am indefensible.”

And he described the last 18 months as “hell”.

He added: “I have been living with a court case hanging over me.

“If I am brutally honest I knew that I was going to jail while everyone else was planning to go to Dubai or America.

“They were all sitting there thinking about where they will be going on their holiday and all I was thinking about was going to jail.

“And that was down to my own stupidity. Time will be the great teller.

“One thing I do know is that I am sober.

“I have not had a drink for ten months. It’s a start.”

Quote:
Conscience says:
You did the right thing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:03 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I want to be role model - Barton

Controversial Newcastle midfielder Joey Barton, 26, hopes he can transform his reputation and become a role model.

Barton was jailed for assault and banned for attacking a team-mate and says he is in "the last-chance saloon".

He told BBC Sport that because of his experiences he may be able to reach out to people, saying: "Hopefully I can be the role model I've never been."

"My reputation will precede me until the day I die and for some people that can't come soon enough," he added.

Barton, who was jailed for assault and affray earlier this year, could return to action against Sunderland on Saturday after finishing a six-game ban for assaulting Ousmane Dabo in 2007 when he was at Manchester City.

"There's going to be young kids who look at the likes of Michael Owen and Beckham, who are unbelievable professionals, squeaky clean, and they can't relate to them," Barton told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"I've met people on the street, met people while I was in prison, and they can relate to you.

"When I speak from experience about the things I've done wrong in my life and how I've tried to change them, I think they respect that.

"Hopefully I'll be able to reach them people who, maybe before, were a little unreachable."

Barton was released from prison in Manchester three months ago and began his comeback in a reserve fixture for Newcastle on Tuesday.

He said he deserves "every bit of criticism that was labelled at me".

"I've had more chances than anyone deserves. It's last-chance saloon and I'm just thankful to have that chance," he added.

Barton, who is getting support from the Sporting Chance clinic, conceded many of his problems have been alcohol-related but said he has not had a drink for 10 months and is optimistic about his recovery.

"The main thing for me is staying sober. I feel so good about the future. If I could go back and change things I would but I can't," he said.

"All I can do is do what's in the future and try to help or soothe or repay my debts for what I've done wrong."

Barton was last in first team action when he came off the bench in what proved to be Kevin Keegan's last game in charge, the 3-0 defeat at Arsenal on 30 August.

He stressed he was desperate not to let down all those who had shown faith in him and emphasised his hopes to be "a shining beacon for kids who had been in trouble".

"The last 18 months have been hell," he said. "I got out of jail, got back to St James's Park, was booed by the fans and wasn't playing particularly well.

"I somehow felt the strength to come through it and start putting in some performances. But you don't just come out of prison and see the light - it's a work in progress.

"All I wanted to do all my life is play football - I live and breathe the game.

"As soon as I get back on the football pitch I will endeavour to give my all - I always give everything.

"For what I lack in ability - and all kinds of other things - I try to make up for with hard work and that's all I can do."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/7685293.stm

:coffee:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:08 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Leave the lad to do his job - just because its football it doesnt change anything.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:52 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

If you listen carefully, you can hear the sound of chief sports scribbler at The Sun Steven Howard clambering aboard his high horse.

'Carragher, Gerro, Lampard, Terry...these are real role models, Joey' barks his piece this morning.

Whoa there! Terry?

Now I'm not going to list Mr Terry's past misdemeanours here...oh who the hell am I kidding?

This would be the same Terry who stripped off and drunkenly abused a number of Americans after the 9/11 attacks, charged (but cleared) with assault and affray after an 'incident' in a London nightclub with Jody Morris, was given a parking ticket after leaving his Bentley in a disabled spot outside Pizza Express, and a bunch of others we can't remember at the moment.

He's exactly who you'd want your kids to emulate.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:19 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Portsmouth boss Tony Adams will make a £4million bid for Joey Barton - to put the fight back into his side after their pathetic FA Cup exit at home to Swansea.

Adams needs a leader and the combative midfielder is the man he will push the club's owners to buy with an offer to Newcastle - probably slapped in as early as this morning.

Bolton looked into a raid on Newcastle for Barton and offered a timid £2m, pushed up to £3m after talks between all parties.

Portsmouth are close to signing West Ham midfielder Hayden Mullins.

The former Crystal Palace star, 29, was at the south coast club last night finalising terms over a £1.5m switch.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:30 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:

Newcastle's Joey Barton has been ruled out for eight weeks with a broken metatarsal in his right foot - and will go under the knife on Friday.

The Magpies have confirmed that the one-time England international suffered the injury against his former club Manchester City on Wednesday night.

Barton limped out of the action in the second half of the 2-1 reverse at Eastlands, throwing his boot away in frustration as he trudged down the tunnel.

Joe Kinnear admitted after the match that Barton had heard a 'crack' which has now been diagnosed as a fracture to the fifth metatarsal in his right foot.

A statement on the club's official website read: "Joey will undergo surgery on Friday and is expected to be out for around eight weeks.

"The injury is identical to the one Joey suffered to his left foot at the beginning of last season."

2 broken metatarsels and knee ligaments in one season, looks like karma's caught ya Joey....... head down, work hard!

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:14 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

LONDON, May 5 (Reuters) - Newcastle United have suspended midfielder Joey Barton until further notice, the Premier League club said on Tuesday.

Barton was shown a straight red card for a wild tackle on Xabi Alonso during Newcastle’s 3-0 defeat by Liverpool on Sunday.

Stand-in manager Alan Shearer condemned the challenge, saying Barton had let down himself and the club. Local media reported that Shearer had rowed with the player in the dressing-room after the match and fined him two weeks’ wages.

With three games remaining, and Newcastle three points adrift of safety, Barton will incur an automatic three-game suspension from the FA anyway for his red card, prematurely ending another controversial and injury-hit season.

“Newcastle United can confirm that Joey Barton has been suspended from the club until further notice,” the club said in a statement on their website (www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk).

“The club will be making no further comment on the matter at this time.” Barton, who joined Newcastle for 5.8 million pounds ($8.62 million) from Manchester City two years ago, was making his first appearance since January after recovering from a foot injury.

“I thought he could do something different,” Shearer said after the game. “But I didn’t think he’d go on and get a red card. I’d asked him not to do that.”

Barton, 26, still has a suspended six-game ban hanging over his head following his training-ground assault on former City team mate Ousmane Dabo in 2007.

Last year he was jailed for 77 days after an assault in Liverpool city centre in December 2007.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:36 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

How Did That Go Then? - Part One
"Joey could do a big job for us. We're trying everything to get him fit because the more bodies we have, the more it will help us. Whether he'll make Monday, we'll have to see. If he does, he certainly won't be match-fit.

"I've had no problems with him whatsoever. Whatever we've asked of him, he's done" - Alan Shearer, April 24.

How Did That Go Then? - Part Two
"Hopefully I can be the role model I've never been....When I speak from experience about the things I've done wrong in my life and how I've tried to change them, I think they respect that. Hopefully I'll be able to reach them people who, maybe before, were a little unreachable.

"People are quick to condemn me but if you don't make mistakes you don't give them the chance to start throwing stones. Hopefully I've learned from my mistakes. I'm trying to put things right and get my football career and life back on track.

"I've had more chances than anyone deserved but I'm just thankful, I've got them and hopefully I'll go some way to repaying the debt. I may never fully repay it but I'll try. I can be a shining beacon for kids who have been in trouble before like myself. Time is a great healer" - Joey Barton, October 23, 2008.

Apt Summary Of The Day
"He can only work with the tools he's been given" - Chris Waddle discusses Alan Shearer's job at Newcastle.

Quite so.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:14 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Deserves all he gets. If Newcastle don't sack him they want their head's examined.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:54 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I wonder who the next manager will be that thinks they can sort his head out.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:56 pm 
General
General

Not sure there'll be one tbh. At least when Bowyer was disgraced he wasn't a bad player. Barton isn't even that good. If someone does take him, they'll lose a bit of respect imo.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:18 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Im certain someone will take him. Might be low down in the leagues even but someone will..Oldham took Lee Hughes straight from his prison after that drunk driving/death by dangerous driving incident. Had talks with him whilst he was still in prison from what I remember.

So if that can happen I think someone will take Barton. Ive seen people suggesting Brum..or maybe Fat Sam taking him on.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:21 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Steve Bruce

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:26 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
Harry Redknapp

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:27 pm 
General
General

Not sure he'd make Wigan or Spurs a better side tbh. Just don't think he's any good, though I've only seen him play a handful of times.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:34 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

conscience wrote:
Not sure he'd make Wigan or Spurs a better side tbh. Just don't think he's any good, though I've only seen him play a handful of times.

Palacios replacement.... imo he can be effective e.g. at City.... but this is a 'sporting incident' & should be treated same as Cattermole, Nolan etc.

ImageImage
Quote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next