AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Joey Barton Finks
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:49 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Joey Barton is yet to decide on offer to make a permanent move to Marseille, according to the French club.

Earlier in the week, Barton's agent, Willy McKay, said that the midfielder's wages were a stumbling block for Marseille but after contacting Everton his client would consider a wage cut to play for the Goodison Park club.

However Marseille's sporting director José Anigo has insisted that nothing has changed from his club's point of view since they put forward their proposal to sign Barton from QPR.

"Everton? I didn't know anything," said Anigo. "But it is possible his agent, who works in the English market, could have contact with Everton.

"We have been very clear with Joey. It is up to him to make the decision."

The former Manchester City and Newcastle player spent the entire 2012-13 season on loan at Marseille, making 25 appearances in Ligue 1.

Marseille finished as runners-up to champions Paris Saint-Germain and the club's chairman, Vincent Labrune, reiterated that they are waiting to hear whether Barton will return to them on a long-term basis.

"Barton? We made him a proposition, but he has to cancel his contract with QPR. It all depends on him."

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:57 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
QPR midfielder Joey Barton has dismissed speculation he might join Everton and admitted he would prefer to return to Marseille.

The outspoken player spent last season on loan with the French club and confirmed on Twitter he would welcome a move back there and the chance to play Champions League football.

Barton appeared to distance himself from suggestions on Wednesday by his agent Willie McKay that he might join Everton, the club he supported as a boy.

Instead he is keen to return to France, although QPR chief executive Phil Beard, speaking on 92Live, was keen to point out he remains their player and is back in pre-season training with the club.

"It's well known who I support. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work that out," Barton wrote on Twitter.

"Good football agents will always be looking to move players, that's how they make money.

"Recent rumours are slightly wide of the mark, everyone knows where I would like to end up, in France, playing in the Champions League for Olympique Marseille, nothing has changed my end.

"If not, I am contracted to QPR and will give my all to help them regain their Premier League status.

"If something happens and both clubs decide differently, than I will assess my options."

Barton still has two years to run on his contract though and his financial demands may scupper his chances of rejoining Marseille.

He wants £3m to cancel the deal and with Barton on £70,000 a week, the player would cost QPR £7m if he was to see out his contract at Loftus Road.

Marseille are keen to have him back at the Stade Velodrome but believe it is up to Barton to negotiate a settlement with QPR.

The Ligue 1 side do not want to pay a fee for Barton though and are only prepared to offer him £30,000 a week.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:50 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Queens Park Rangers midfielder Joey Barton has confirmed that he turned down an approach from Crystal Palace.

The 30-year-old midfielder was expected to form part of a Loftus Road exodus this summer, following the club's relegation out of the Premier League and the fact that he spent last season on loan in France with Marseille.

He has, however, been welcomed back into the QPR fold by Harry Redknapp and has opened the 2013/14 in impressive fashion.

A step up back into the top flight has not been entirely ruled out, with Everton still reported to be keen on securing the services of a lifelong Toffees supporter.

Barton will, however, not be moving to Selhurst Park - despite Ian Holloway's best efforts.

Palace are doing their utmost to get much-needed fresh faces on board, as they attempt to consolidate a standing back among the elite, but Barton is the latest target to slip through the net.

He posted on Twitter: "They tried but its not the right move for me and my family right now.

"Hope they stay up as I like Holloway."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:09 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Joey Barton regrets his negative Twitter comments about returning to QPR and wants to help the club get back to the Premier League.

The 31-year-old midfielder spent the last campaign on loan at Marseille, but R's boss Harry Redknapp welcomed him into the side this season, despite Barton's suggestions on social media that his career in west London was over.

Barton has repaid Redknapp with some impressive form, including a goal scoring display in Saturday's 2-0 win over Middlesbrough, and admits he is loving life again at Loftus Road.

He told Sky Sports News: "I was quite vocal on Twitter saying I'm not going back to QPR, I'm not going to play in the Championship. That's a fact which has been rammed down my throat a few times since.

"It makes you feel a bit stupid, you have to laugh and I'm enjoying my football. I'm really enjoying working for Harry. It's a good set of lads there.

"It's a football club I think that's had a lot of healing to do over the summer. I don't think we're fully healed yet. I don't think we'll be fully recuperated until we're back in the Premier League. That's the goal, it's been the goal since day one since I've walked back in there."

Barton makes no secret of his desire for a move back to Marseille at some stage in his career, but could be tempted to stay at QPR for a longer spell if they secure promotion.

"I think everyone knew I wanted to go back to Marseille. I had a great affinity with the club. I had a great relationship and still do to this day," said Barton.

"Hopefully one day I will go back and play there because I loved everything about being there. I know the feeling is mutual, but obviously I'm really enjoying my football at QPR.

"Everyone I think in European football, certainly in world football probably wants to play in the Premier League.

"If given that opportunity again and I'm still wanted by the club I don't see any reason why I won't be there. I've got two years left on my deal. As I say, I'm enjoying it more than any other time in the past, so long may it continue."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:50 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Joey Barton has revealed he could have "caused problems" at Queens Park Rangers in a bid to secure a move to Marseille.

Barton was widely expected to leave QPR in the summer after returning from a successful loan spell at Marseille last season.

The 31-year-old openly admitted earlier this year that he did not want to play in the Championship with QPR and that his first choice would be to join Marseille on a permanent basis.

Marseille were keen to sign Barton on a free transfer after his loan move, but QPR were unwilling to do a deal on those terms, which resulted in Barton staying at Loftus Road

Barton, who has impressed for QPR this season, admits he could have made things more difficult for the London club if he wanted to to try and force a move away.

"I could have caused problems here at the club or with the coach so they would let me go," Barton told L'Equipe. "I even think that would have worked.

"But I am not that kind of guy. I have never done that at a club in my career.

"I didn't want to play in Championship. Tony Fernandes talked to me and said there is a real project, a team to get promotion again and I would be a key element of it.

"But I was not attracted, because the club kicked me out one year ago. I was banished while I was captain.

"Marseille welcomed me with open arms. Anyway, now I am here and I will do everything for us to join back Premier League. But I will never forget what Marseille did for me."

Blocked

Barton admits he could understand Marseille's reluctance to pay a fee for him due to his age after QPR chairman Fernandes refused to let him leave on a free transfer.

"Why didn't I stay? It was complex," added Barton.

"At first I was optimistic. I had a big problem with the former QPR manager [Mark Hughes] before leaving for Marseille and when I came back in the summer, the situation was very difficult.

"The club had just been relegated and had to sell players. So I was confident. I told myself: 'I will work during training-sessions, remaining discreet and in the end I will leave to go back to Marseille and it will be fine'.

"We had an agreement with l'OM. I talked to Harry Redknapp too. He told me he understood why I wanted to leave and he would not prevent me. But then, the QPR chairman refused to let me leave as free agent.

"He asked Marseille to pay a transfer fee and it was not possible. The agreement I had with l'OM was I had to be free agent.

"I can understand why l'OM didn't pay to sign me. I am 31-years-old, not so young, I have good wages, so paying a fee for an old player like me, it was too much. "

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:19 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Joey Barton has been called lots of things - many of them unprintable - but footballer, philosopher, thug, narcissist and jailbird are among them.

He is divisive, certainly, and confrontational - but who he really is, is open to debate.

The 31-year-old QPR midfielder, who sees himself as a pacifist, is on his own voyage of self-discovery, leaving behind a troubled past and setting his sights on a productive future.

Barton will finish his Uefa 'A' coaching licence in the summer before starting a philosophy degree at Roehampton University in September. Soon 'coach' and 'academic' can be added to the confusing list of labels.

The idea of Barton as a coach is of interest to the man sitting opposite him, Sir Clive Woodward, for whom he is the latest subject in a series of interviews for 5 live Sport on Thursday.

The conversation flows from what makes Barton tick to what lights his fuse. He says his fuse is harder to ignite these days because he has learned to control the destructive anger that has caused so many problems in his life.

Philosophy and psychology are helping him to make sense of his complex character and his deep commitment to coaching offers a narrow path to redemption.

"I'd love to work with a young Joey Barton"

It may be a while before Barton's temper and tactics are tested in the professional game because "having never had any pace to lose" he sees his playing career lasting for at least another five years.

Barton admits to not being the most naturally blessed of players. Apart from a lack of pace, he was told a number of times in his youth that he was too small to make it as a footballer.

The criticism made him stronger, and he thought hard about how he could develop his game to get the better of more gifted opponents.

As an "obsessive, analytical extrovert" the process came naturally and he thinks those skills will be beneficial in the world of coaching.

"I'd love to work with a young Joey Barton," he says. "I'd give my right arm to do that. I've been doing a psychological analysis of myself, trying to work out why I was so messed up. It's taken me a long time to get there and I'm still on that journey.

"Maybe [my background] will be held against me, but most people who've led the perfect life can't communicate with troubled individuals. I can."

Barton has recently started working with Steve Black, a respected motivational speaker and conditioning coach who worked closely with Jonny Wilkinson during his time with England. Danny Cipriani is now seeking some Black magic himself as he tries to recapture the form that made him the one of most exciting young talents in European rugby.

"If I'd have met Steve when I was 21, I'd have been England captain," Barton says. "That's my belief. He has helped me to embrace what I'm about, the good and bad."

Unlike others in his profession, Barton sees the value in learning his trade, and through his studious nature and deep knowledge of football he also recognises that the standard of coaching in England needs improving.

"In my 10 years as a professional, working with the best coaches at the elite level, I learned for four of them," he says. "For six years I was on auto-pilot because the coaching was lazy and results orientated.

"Everyone wants to get to the top but nobody wants to do the hard yards. I have no sense of entitlement because I've been a top player."

"If you challenge me, my first instinct is to fight"

Huyton in Liverpool is one of the most deprived areas in the UK and Barton admits to being a "product of his environment". It was an environment which offered him three choices in life: drug dealer, roofer or footballer.

He said: "I saw my dad get up at six in the morning and come back in at six in the evening, hands like sandpaper, just to put food on the table.

"I'd seen close relatives go to jail, and I thought: 'I don't want that'. Football was the only way out for me.

"I came from a council estate. I had holes in my shoes until I was 13 and, where I come from, if someone attacks you, you attack back. The worst thing you can do to me is challenge me.

"When I'm told at 14 that I'm too small and I'm not going to make it as a footballer, I think, 'you're all wrong'. Then I'm told the same thing at school, and then again at 17 and 18.

"I had to take a 'me-against-the-world' stance. Then, all of a sudden, I'm in the [Manchester City] first team at 19, on a contract earning 50 times what my parents earned.

"How do I turn that off - the fact that you're all wrong and I'm right? I didn't have the skill-set to turn it off. That instinct is still in me. If you challenge me now, my first instinct is to fight you."

"Deal with everything at source"

Barton has received eight red cards in his professional career and a number of well-documented and nasty events off the pitch have added to his reputation as one of football's bad boys. Perhaps the most famous of the on-field incidents came on the final day of the 2011/2012 season at Etihad Stadium.

Queens Park Rangers were fighting relegation and Manchester City were chasing the title. In the 55th minute, Barton elbowed Carlos Tevez, earning a red card and the longest ban [12 games] since Eric Cantona received six months from the FA for his infamous kung-fu kick in 1995.

QPR midfielder Joey Barton is confronted by then Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez in 2012 Barton says his red card for elbowing Carlos Tevez (left) was the build-up of two months of frustration

Barton, who says Tevez punched him off the ball, said: "I could feel the frustration coming. I'd been at war with the manager [Mark Hughes] for two months and it came to a head with Tevez.

"If he'd have been sent off, I'd have probably walked off the pitch and that would've been the end of it. But when Tevez gets away with it and I don't, I took the law into my own hands."

On his way off the pitch, with the score at 1-1, Barton tried to provoke an opponent into getting sent off as well. He kneed Man City striker Sergio Aguero because the Argentine had "grassed" him up to the referee and Barton then tried to head-butt the City captain Vincent Kompany.

Barton added: "People think my head had gone. But that was a cold, calculated decision to try and get one of them to go with me."

The series of events leading up to that red card at the Etihad have not been unusual in Barton's career. "Whenever I've got into trouble, there's been about a three-month period of small incidents that, if they were taken care of, would never lead to a big one.

"What I've learned on this psychological journey is that if I deal with everything at source, I can take care of the little things."

"England have no chance at the World Cup"

"Will it be a regret that I never got more England caps? Of course it will. But I have overachieved, just by playing the game. I know I did, given the tools I had and how hard I had to work."

Joey Barton wins the ball from Fernando Torres in his only England appearance against Spain Barton wins the ball ahead of Fernando Torres in his only England appearance against Spain

In February 2007 at Wembley, Steve McClaren gave Barton his first and only international cap. He came on as a second-half substitute for Frank Lampard in a 1-0 defeat by Spain. For 12 minutes, he played in a midfield alongside Steven Gerrard and Michael Carrick who, with Lampard, are all likely to feature in Roy Hodgson's squad for Brazil in the summer.

"We have no chance at the World Cup," Barton says. "No-one believes we can win it - the manager, the media, the players - and I would have sacked Greg Dyke on the spot [for the gesture he made at the draw] . What sort of message does that send?"

What becomes clear throughout Barton's interview is a frustration at what he thinks is a lack of strategic, coherent planning in football.

He adds: "Is taking a side with Gerrard and Lampard in it the right thing for English football in the long-term? If we select all our best players we are still going to come up short, so I would take a team for the future.

"What I have started to see with Olympians and in other sports is that they create a culture of winning. We don't have that in football."

"We are losers...Our players are not world class"

When Carl Froch beat George Groves to retain his super-middleweight world titles last year, Barton was struck by the crowd's reaction to the fight's controversial conclusion.

He said: "We love unlucky losers in this country. It's our mindset. In football terms we are losers; we love the side that gets heroically beaten and hate sides that are successful.

"We get sucked into the hype of Premier League. Our players are not world class. How many English players are getting to latter stages of the Champions League and dominating that competition on a consistent basis? There's not many.

"Rooney is world class - potentially. I love Wayne Rooney, I love what he stands for - he is the epitome of a class Englishman - but look at his approach and mentality compared to Cristiano Ronaldo's. Polar opposites.

"Why is Ronaldo a Ballon d'Or winner and Rooney isn't? When you see Rooney smoking cigarettes, is he doing everything he can to be the best player in the world?

"From players I have spoken to who have worked with both they say the level of discipline Ronaldo has for his profession is the reason he is where is.

"The gulf each year between him and Rooney is getting wider but if it was on talent alone, Rooney is a better player than him."

"I have always been intellectually curious"

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." (Friedrich Nietschze)

A combination of social media and philosophy have played a cathartic role in Barton's self-styled reinvention.

His millions of followers on Twitter will be as familiar with the musings of philosophers such as Nietschze or Plato as they are with Barton's provocative use of 140 characters to shock, opine and "get things out in the open".

"There is a lot of stigma attached to footballers," he says. "People think they should be stupid and just be able to kick a ball.

"As a young player, you are quite happy to fit that box and not stand out. I remember dumbing down and acting daft so the older pros didn't think I was a weirdo. But it got to the stage where I had to push myself. Being a footballer was not going to define me as a person.

"I had a lot of energy that I could only use on a football field, so when I wasn't playing I didn't know what to do with it.

"That led me to drink. I was an alcoholic, I had all this energy and then I was drunk with this energy so I had to find stuff to put in my life to keep me occupied.

"I have always been intellectually curious so I started on the psychological thing because I didn't understand myself or like myself. It's given me a structure for life and a level of preparation that I never had before."

Up for debate - "a self-made man"

A few days after the interview with Sir Clive Woodward, Barton gave a talk to the Oxford Union, arguably the greatest and most prestigious debating house in the country.

"There's no point in me going there and trying to act smart," he said. "I am looking at it as a great opportunity for a boy from a sinkhole council estate in Liverpool to speak to the establishment.

"The main thing for me is that I go there as a self-made man. Some of the brightest young people in the country will be there - but they might not know where they are going. By the time I was their age I had achieved my goal."

"So what are you going to talk to them about?" asks Woodward.

"Something I know a lot about - me."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:18 am 
Major General
Major General

He is some what right about england and the word world class are thrown around very easily.

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:41 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
If Rooney had the mentality/work ethic of Ronaldo he could have been really good. He had the talent. But like most English players, they join a top 4 club and think they've made it

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:16 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The footballer Joey Barton has said that sexist remarks he made during his debut on BBC's Question Time, prompting jeers from the audience and outcry online, were an example of first-night nerves.

The QPR and former England midfielder said the options available to the electorate in last week's polls were like a choice "between four really ugly girls". He was seeking to clarify why he had earlier described Ukip as the "best of a bad bunch".

Barton's "ugly girls" comments were greeted by groans from the audience and were challenged by his fellow panellist, Ukip's newly elected MEP for North West England, Louise Bours. "What an offensive thing to say," she said, accusing Barton of being a typical footballer by thinking with his feet.

Barton, who has a reputation for fouls and bad temper on the pitch, and plain speaking off it, appeared to accept the criticism. "Maybe I was a little nervous … My brains are in my feet."

Later, he made light of the remarks to his 2.5 million followers on Twitter. He posted three emoticon images of a crying face followed by the words: "Should have left it at 'Best of a bad bunch' Ah well #imnewtothis."

In a Twitter spat, fellow panellist Piers Morgan had described Barton as "Le Pitbull" before the show. Morgan said: "I don't need to train for intelligent political debates. You however … well, best of luck."

The former editor and TV presenter resisted the temptation to gloat after Barton's remarks, but rightly predicted that they would make him a trending topic on the network.

However Barton's performance was also widely praised.

Reviewing the programme for the Telegraph, the historian Tim Stanley wrote: "I was poised to write 'why did BBCQT invite a dumb footballer on to the panel when Roger Scruton is sitting at home waiting for an invite to arrive by telegram?' But Joey was pretty eloquent on [the Iraq war inquiry] Chilcot, on Heathrow's runaway runways, and on Ukip. Not that I necessarily agreed with him at all (and there was a moment when he told a sexist gag that it took a good 45 minutes for the audience to demand an apology for and made an odd statement about 9/11 that I missed because I was brewing tea) but there was something about him that made him stand out from the crowd. Could it be that he came across as … normal?"

Similarly Rob Wilson, the Tory MP for Reading East and parliamentary aide to George Osborne, praised Barton's plain speaking. He tweeted: "Not making any judgements, but interesting that when Joey Barton spoke like 'a real person' the Ukip woman howled him down."

The Daily Mirror's Katie Hind said Barton showed why everyone deserves a second chance. "He showed he is a very smart man who appeals to the general public so much more than a stuffy MP."

The commentator Toby Young said that, apart from Barton's sexist metaphor, his was the best performance on Question Time for some time.

• This article was amended on 30 May 2014. It originally stated Rob Wilson was the MP for Reading West. His constituency is Reading East. This has been corrected.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:04 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
QPR midfielder Joey Barton is not expecting talks on his future to take place until the club knows whether they will still be in the Premier League next season.

The 32-year-old is in the final season of the four-year deal he signed to join QPR from Newcastle in 2011 and has appeared 13 times in the Premier League since the club’s return to the top flight in August.

Barton’s days at Loftus Road had at one time appeared numbered after he joined Marseille on a year-long loan deal in 2012 in the wake of earning a 12-match ban for violent conduct. However, he successfully re-established himself at QPR last season as the west London side returned to the Premier League via the Championship play-offs.

With his contract up in the summer, Barton, while welcoming the prospect that he could now stay at QPR, said his and the club’s immediate focus had to be on Premier League survival.

“I honestly don’t know. That’s probably not a decision for me to make,” Barton told skysports.com.

“My commitment to this football club is up until the end of the year. I actually didn’t think this would be a conversation I’d ever be having, I thought it was going to be a lot more cut and dried than this.

“But it’s nice that we’re actually having this conversation and it’s actually a viable option for me to maybe stay at the football club. But I don’t know; I’m not really focused on that.

“The main objective this year is to stabilise the club in the Premier League. That’s what I’m here to do as part of a team and that’s all I’ll be trying to do until the end of the season. After that, if there are conversations to be had then there are conversations to be had. I don’t know the landscape but, I’m surmising, you hear all manner of things going on in terms of a lot of stuff away from the football pitch at this club and I would say it would be difficult for people to make projections beyond this season.

“My job is to play football and I intend to play on for a number of years. I won’t be hanging my boots up at the end of this season and doing what some other players will do. I intend to play for, health being as it is now and fitness being as it is now, for at least another four or five years.

“I’m enjoying my football, I’m happy in my life, everything’s going as well as can be, and I’m looking forward to the future. If that’s at QPR, great, and that’ll be a conversation I have in the summer once we know our destiny.”

Having spent two seasons away from the Premier League, the ex-Manchester City and Newcastle player admits he wants to continue playing in the division.

“I want to play in the Premier League, I’ve missed it,” said Barton, who recently joined an EA SPORTS FIFA 15 panel to debate their Team of the Year.

“Being in France for a year was a great experience and being in the Championship was an experience I think I’m famously quoted as saying I didn’t really want to experience and had no intention of experiencing. I did it with Newcastle and it was a lot different because we won the league relatively easily, and then I did it the tough way [with QPR].

“So I’ve now got a different experience which will hold me in good stead for the future. I’ve been in the Championship twice and got out of it and that is not an easy thing to do. To be part of two teams and two experiences like that will stay with us. The play-off final will always be with me, regards of what happens at QPR and what happened before. That experience and something to happen like that on the scale it happened is an incredible moment in football.”

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:14 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I see the Joey Barton lunatic switch got "flicked" this weekend.

I know he was just trying to protect a young player who the opposition were trying to get sent off but his reaction to Huddlestone was stupid and the ref had to send him off and it might have cost his team valuable points.

It's made worse by the fact that he's the captain and should be setting the example he clearly still has that trigger in him where he could just blow up at any minute and while he's tried to control it I'm not sure he'll ever get it fully sorted.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:44 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Joey Barton will hold further talks with West Ham boss Slaven Bilic following a medical on Tuesday as he seeks assurances over a proposed move to Upton Park, according to Sky sources.

The 32-year-old, who was one of six players released by QPR following their relegation from the Premier League, has been training and undergoing fitness tests with the Hammers.

Bilic, who succeeded Sam Allardyce this summer, is keen to add experience to the squad which opened the season with a 2-0 victory at Arsenal on Sunday.

Former Manchester City and Newcastle midfielder Barton enjoyed a good season at Loftus Road despite QPR finishing bottom of the table. He played 28 times, scoring once in a 4-1 victory at West Bromwich.

West Ham's pursuit of Barton may come as a surprise, however, following their co-chairman David Gold's previous statements on Twitter about his previously poor behavior.

In 2012, after Barton was sent off on the final day of the season at Manchester City, West Ham were reported to be interested in signing him, but Gold tweeted: "We couldn't sign J Barton even if we wanted to as he will probably be banned for a long time after his disgraceful behaviour."

On January 14 2013, as West Ham were once again linked with the midfielder, Gold tweeted: "IMO Barton has a problem and should seek help. dg."

And Gold posted another tweet on Barton the following day after being asked by a fan, 'What would you do if Big Sam said he wanted to sign Barton?', which read: "Give Sam some time off, get away for a few days. dg."

Barton began his career at Manchester City in 2002 before moving to St James' Park in 2007 for almost £6m. In 2011 he joined QPR and a year later was loaned out to Marseille for the 2012-13 season before returning to Loftus Road.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:33 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
West Ham have withdrawn their interest in Joey Barton after their fans made clear their displeasure at any potential deal.

The club had been keen to bring in the midfielder after his release by QPR at the end of last season. A medical was expected to take place on Tuesday but West Ham have ended negotiations after protests from their supporters.

Slaven Bilic’s side won 2-0 at Arsenal on Sunday, with particularly impressive performances from Cheikhou Kouyaté, Mark Noble and Reece Oxford at the base of midfield. The emergence of the 16-year-old Oxford, combined with Barton’s controversial history, left many fans questioning why the club were pursuing the move.

“I’d just like to thank the West Ham fans who sent me a lot of kind messages on social media,” said Barton in a video posted online on Tuesday night. “Obviously with a character like myself, there’s always one or two who are not so kind or complimentary. That’s part of the course with me these days.

“West Ham certainly would have been a good fit for me,” he continued. “I’ve always enjoyed playing at the Boleyn Ground, with a very knowledgable crowd. It’s a place, despite people having reservations, that I thought I could do well and offer something to the squad.

“But for this moment in time, it’s not meant to be. I’d like to wish the football club good luck going forward. No hard feelings.”

Barton has also been linked with Aston Villa and revealed his desire to return to the Premier League during their 1-0 win at Bournemouth on Saturday, where he was working as a pundit for the BBC. “Judging by this game it won’t be long before I get a phone call from somebody,” he said. “The best player might be sitting in the stands this afternoon, even if I do say so myself.”

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:11 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Rotherham manager Steve Evans says his side have "zero chance" of signing free agent Joey Barton.

The 32-year-old midfielder, who recently saw a move to West Ham break down following his summer exit from QPR, has been linked with a surprise switch to the Sky Bet Championship club.

Reports suggested that he and Evans had been in dialogue - but the Scotsman does not think a financial deal would be possible.

Evans explained: "He's a fantastic footballer - but I don't think we can afford Joey's petrol, never mind Joey.

"Our problem would be funding Joey's Ferrari or whatever he's driving into Rotherham from wherever he lives.

"I think he's an outstanding footballer. I think when I saw West Ham linked with him, I thought he'd be signing.

"If Joey Barton wants to play for Rotherham United, give me a ring Joey!

"I think a lot of clubs in the Championship would (sign him), wouldn't they? I think one or two would in the Premier League as well.

"What comes with Joey is when he goes on this Twitty Twitty pie thing, there's a lot of madness on that Twitter, isn't there?

"I've seen it first-hand and if that's his release from the pressures of being a Premier League footballer, that's up to him. He causes a bit of a stir with it, but it doesn't matter to me.

"The chances of us signing Joey are zero, but he's someone I admire as a footballer.

"Have I spoken to Joey Barton? No."

Barton has been doing a bit of media work I know he was out in the middle east doing some punditry for BeinSport over the weekend but I'm amazed he hasn't signed for a club yet.

He's been on good contracts at his last 2 clubs reports are he was on as much as £80k a week at QPR having gone there on a free transfer but he probably needs to take a look at his demands as surely at 32 with his record over the last few years which is a very good championship player but a pretty average PL player he can't command that sort of salary.

I think free agents can still sign after the window closes for another week or so IIRC so he might be able to wait and hope a club panics and snaps him up but really I'm not sure if any of the PL clubs will touch him

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:49 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
He was on R5 live the other week doing commentary/punditry. I was surprised he had no deal anywhere too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:16 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I think he's actually pretty good on the TV/Radio.

For a club looking to get promoted to the PL he could be a good signing but not sure the PL clubs will touch him for them what he offers on the pitch doesn't justify the baggage that comes off it.

For a club like Middlesborough or Derby who want to have a serious crack at promotion he might be worth the gamble but it would need an experienced manager to handle him.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:23 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
We need some bodies. Is he still available on a free?

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:36 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

idontfeardeath wrote:
We need some bodies. Is he still available on a free?

Nice Try :busted:

He's gone to Burnley if you were actually being serious if you were being serious lay off the alcohol for a bit

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:02 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Rangers have announced the signing of midfielder Joey Barton on a two-year deal.

The 33-year-old joins as a free agent on 1 July after turning down the offer of new terms at Burnley.

He was the Turf Moor club's player of the year as they won the Championship title to return to the Premier League.

"When I first found out there was an opportunity to come here, that got the blood pumping," Barton told the Rangers website.

"I'm fully aware of the situation the club has been in for the last few years but to be part of a group that is going to put this club back where it belongs was an opportunity, that if I didn't take, I would probably have regretted it for the rest of my life."

Barton, capped once for England, counts Manchester City, Newcastle and QPR among his former clubs.

He also played the 2012-13 season on loan in the French top flight with Marseille.

The experienced midfielder visited Glasgow last week.

"It was very simple. I came up, had a look around and was instantly impressed - both with what is happening at the club just now but also the history and tradition of the place," he explained.

"I went away with Rangers at the forefront of my mind, and I just knew I had to go and do it, and it was something I had to be a part of."

'Competitive animal'

Barton spent one successful season with Burnley and used Twitter to explain his decision to leave.

"Thanks to all the Burnley fans and everyone connected to the club," he wrote. "Amazing support this year that will live with me for a lifetime.

"Toughest decision of my professional life to leave an amazing set of people and a phenomenal culture behind.

"Club is in a great place on and off the pitch with great custodians at the helm. Thanks again for the opportunity to represent your club.

"I was presented with an opportunity and challenge the competitive animal in me just could not turn down. Onwards and upwards now."

Rangers will play in the Scottish Premiership next season after comfortably wrapping up the Championship title.

Mark Warburton's side also won the Petrofac Training Cup and lost a dramatic Scottish Cup final to Hibernian at the weekend.

Barton becomes Rangers' fourth summer signing, joining Josh Windass, Matt Crooks and Jordan Rossiter.

Analysis

BBC Scotland's Richard Wilson

"Barton has reinvented himself; in a shorthand way, he has gone from CCTV footage of fighting to being a guest on Question Time. So nobody ought to be surprised that on the verge of a return to the English Premier League, and all its riches and glamour, he has chosen to sign for Rangers.

"The offer of a two-year contract, as opposed to the shorter deal proposed by Burnley, would have helped, but Barton was genuine when he spoke of having already sampled life in the Premier League - particularly the slog of a relegation battle - and of seeking new experiences.

"At Rangers, he will hope to compete for trophies and be asked to be a figure of authority and know-how to help develop younger players."

Scott Brown vs Joey Barton in the midfield of Old Firm games could be interesting :rocky:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:04 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Rangers midfielder Joey Barton has confirmed he has been told to stay away from the club until Monday and has also apologised for "overstepping the mark".

Press Association Sport reported Barton had an altercation with team-mate Andy Halliday as players reviewed Saturday's 5-1 loss to Celtic in training.

"Some of the things I said were inappropriate and for that I apologise unreservedly," Barton, 34, tweeted.

Barton added he did not feel staying away from training was necessary.

In a statement on his Twitter account on Thursday evening, the former Newcastle and Manchester City midfielder said he respected manager Mark Warburton's decision.

He claimed "there were only words involved in the disagreement" during discussions at training on Tuesday.

"Nevertheless, some of the words used did overstep the mark," said Barton.

Both Barton and midfielder Halliday, 24, played in Rangers' 5-1 Old Firm defeat, the club's biggest loss to their local rivals since going down 6-2 in August 2000.

The result prompted discussions which Barton claimed "involved some sharp disagreement".

He added: "I regret what happened and on Monday I will report for training and I will do what it takes to help the team draw a line under it so that we can get back to the task at hand.

"I cannot, however, apologise for caring deeply about winning and for wanting to perform better myself and for Rangers to do much better."

Moments after his Twitter statement, Barton published a tweet he later deleted reading: "Apologising doesn't always mean that you're wrong and the other person is right. It means you value your relationship more than your ego."

At his Thursday media conference, Warburton said the media reaction to his side's loss at Celtic Park had been overly negative, but made no mention of Barton's absence from training.

Rangers, who refused to comment on the situation on Thursday, host Ross County on Saturday.

Barton joined Rangers on a two-year deal in the summer when his one-year contract at Burnley expired.

"I'm coming up here to be the best player in the country," he announced on the day he signed for Rangers, who returned to the Scottish Premiership after four years outside the top tier.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next