AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pep Talk
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:35 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3

Barcelona boss Pep Guardiola believes his side will never match Johan Cruyff's 'Dream Team' of the early 1990s regardless of how many titles they win.

Barca will be crowned Primera Division champions for a third-successive season with a point against Levante on Wednesday.

Indeed, the Catalans could even take the field with that triumph already sealed if Real Madrid, eight points off the pace and with a worse head-to-head record than their rivals, fail to beat Getafe tonight.

Guardiola's side of Lionel Messi, Xavi Hernandez and Andres Iniesta has been hailed as the greatest ever in some quarters, but Guardiola feels it cannot compare to Cruyff's side of Michael Laudrup, Hristo Stoichkov and Ronald Koeman who won four straight titles at the start of the 1990s, as well as the 1992 European Cup.

"They were pioneers," Guardiola, himself a member of that team, said. "That cannot be matched by winning more titles. You can never be equal to the 'Dream Team' as they were the first to end that streak of so many years without winning.

"(Former coaches Louis) van Gaal, (Frank) Rijkaard and us have carried things on, but nothing would have existed without them."

Even though the title is all but wrapped up, and a Champions League final showdown with Manchester United is rapidly approaching, Guardiola has urged his players to focus only on Levante.

"It seems to be done but it is not done yet," he said. "The sooner the better.

"We do not rely on other results and we must be focused on Levante, who have gone three months without losing at home and are almost safe."

The hosts lie in 10th place, but a return of one point from their last three games has left them just four points above the drop zone.

And they have a tough run-in with tomorrow's clash followed by a trip to Valencia and a final-day meeting with a Real Zaragoza side also scrapping for points to avoid relegation.

Barca have an almost fully-fit squad, with Gabriel Milito out and Carles Puyol a doubt.

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:14 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola says he does not believe his side are the best team ever ahead of Saturday's Champions League final.

The strong Catalan base of the current Barcelona team, which also boasts a number of players from the Spanish World Cup winning squad, has been credited as the best team ever in some quarters after their recent domination of La Liga and Champions League success in the past two years.

However, Guardiola does not believe his side are the best team ever, and insists that the likes of Brazil, Saturday's opponents Manchester United and Spanish rivals Real Madrid must all be considered when discussing such an accolade.

Guardiola told ITV: “I don't think so [that Barcelona are the best ever side]. When the people are watching this team if they enjoy we are happy, but we have to respect Brazil, Milan, Liverpool, Manchester or even Madrid for the best moments.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:10 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola has stated that he performs at his best as a coach when he does not have a long-term contract, adding that he needs the freedom to decide his own future.

The 40-year-old coach replaced Frank Rijkaard as the man in charge at the Catalan giants in the summer of 2008 and has since won three La Liga titles and two Champions League trophies among other silverware.

Nevertheless, despite his successes, Guardiola has refused to sign a long-term contract as he prefers one-year extensions in order to stay in control of his own future.

"Every day I think that I could be leaving the day after. I work better when I know that I have the freedom to decide my own future," he was quoted as saying by Sport.

"There is a risk that you lose your passion for what you do when you sign a long-term contract. It is all about passion. The biggest wealth that someone can have is doing something that you really like. That is the essence of everything in my opinion."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:55 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola is expected to announce on Friday whether he will sign a new contract, with reports in Catalonia suggesting he will resign and take a break from football.

Reports on Thursday morning claimed the 41-year-old had already held a meeting with club president Sandro Rosell, at which he outlined his future plans.

He will convey that message to the players when they reconvene for training on Friday ahead of Sunday's trip to Rayo Vallecano, and then - according to the Spanish press on Thursday evening - will hold a joint press conference alongside Rosell.

The press conference is reportedly due to start at 1200 local time.

Guardiola has operated on short-term deals throughout his time at the Barca helm and his latest deal expires in the summer.

But the manner of their defeat to Real Madrid last weekend - a loss which effectively saw them relinquish their Primera Division title to Jose Mourinho's men - and the midweek exit to Chelsea in the Champions League semi-finals may prompt Guardiola to walk away after four trophy-laden years.

Speculation on Thursday morning suggested the former Spain and Barca midfielder was giving serious consideration to quitting.

Speaking after the game with Chelsea on Tuesday, Guardiola said: "I will speak with Tito [Vilanova, assistant manager] and see what we have to do.

"Right now, we need to talk more about the emotion of our players and how they recover because there are many players that have been playing a long time.

"We have to go to Rayo Vallecano [this weekend]. We are still Barca. We have to continue doing things as we usually do them.

"So we will talk to the president as well and we will talk about everything - the situation what happened in these days and of course we will take a decision because it is time to take a decision now."

His departure may prompt speculation he could be a contender to become the new England manager, but it is understood that not to be the case.

Guardiola stepped up from Barca B manager to first-team boss in 2008 and has gone on to become the most successful coach in the club's illustrious history.

He has led the azulgrana to two Champions League crowns, three La Liga trophies, one Copa del Rey, three Supercopas, two UEFA Super Cups and two FIFA Club World Cups.

Meanwhile, midfielder Xavi could miss the rest of the Primera Division season because of a calf muscle tear.

"After tests this morning revealed his left calf has a tear, Xavi will be out of action for the next 15 days," a statement on the club's website read.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:48 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
He'll be at Chelsea come August

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:35 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I'd be amazed if he took the Chelsea job I can see him taking a year off I don't think he realised just how brutal that Barca job can be with the media there's a reason why coaches don't last long at Barca or Madrid.

Throw Mourinho into the mix and the megabucks spending on the latest Perez era and the way the Classico has become more of a pantomime than a football match I just think he feels he needs a break before he goes insane. I personally think he would of gone last season but the club begged him to stay for one more year.

I think he'll take a year out of the game and look for a club where he can fit into a similar philosophy to Barca the strong traditions of bringing through youth players rather than having to manage big egos. He's shown with his fall outs with Ibrahimovic & Pique that he doesn't handle player egos particularly well you look at most of the players at that club and you see hard working professionals not the celebrity lifestyle icons that you get at new money clubs. First thing he did was kick Ronaldinho & Deco out of the club because they liked the nights on the town and were a big influence on Messi.

If he came to England I think he'd be waiting patiently for jobs at Utd/Arsenal or even Liverpool to open up rather than jump in at City or Chelsea where the dressing rooms is full of big names where the culture is win at all costs.

If money was his motivation then I'm sure Barcelona would match anything that Roman could offer him I just think he's had enough and wants a break.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:38 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
Graham Hunter on SSN this morning seemed to think he wont be out of the game for long, and would be keen to go to either Italy or England.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:02 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

perhaps he fancies a No. 2 job for a couple of seasons

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:08 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

It's going to be tough for Pep at another club he's obviously a good coach he's actually changed things at Barca every season and up until this season he's managed to win the league every year and he's reached 4 ECL semi finals in a row.

It all works at Barca because he understood the club from head to toe trying to re-create that is going to be hard as he will need to change his philosophy if he comes to England to deal with the more direct style powerful game where set pieces can be the difference between winning and losing a game.

England need a new technical director who's going to oversee this whole St George's park thing if I was at the FA I'd be looking to get him involved in that fancy a nice job away from the media spotlight for 2 years on a nice juicy contract.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:27 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Bottle job? For the first time since becoming manager he hasn't won the league and he doesn't fancy the fight of turning it around.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:34 am 
Major General
Major General

idontfeardeath wrote:
Bottle job? For the first time since becoming manager he hasn't won the league and he doesn't fancy the fight of turning it around.

I think he's burned himself out, and maybe feels he hasn't got it in him to try and fight back to the top with Barca.

Jose will no doubt see it as a victory.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:41 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

idontfeardeath wrote:

I think he wanted to go out on a high last year and maybe he doesn't feel he has it in him to go again as being Barca manager I imagine is a 24/7 job the media there is so intense as they have the daily sports papers who will fill 4 or 5 pages of Barca related stories every single day.

I don't think they've bottled it they've been beaten in the league by a team who is breaking all sorts of records and cost more than £500m to put together. In the Champs League they were unlucky to go out but his players wasted good chances over the two legs and got smash and grabbed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:48 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I'm not saying his team have bottled it. I'm saying he is showing he doesn't have the stomach for a fight.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:38 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

idontfeardeath wrote:
I'm not saying his team have bottled it. I'm saying he is showing he doesn't have the stomach for a fight.

Maybe but how many managers have done 4 seasons at a club like Barcelona or Real Madrid they're not like most other clubs.

He's always signed 1 year deals because he believes that it keeps players on their toes maybe he's looked at the players and thought they don't have the fight anymore. Puyol is getting old, Abidal obviously has long term health issues, Pique apparently has a lot of off pitch distractions, Xavi isn't getting any younger and the whole team is relying on the brilliance of Messi to win them games.

I think Pep might be looking at the squad and thinking that they've peaked and it's going to take some rebuilding and his record in the transfer market isn't great a lot of his signings haven't lived up to the expectations.

I think it's fair to say that maybe he doesn't have the stomach for the fight but maybe he just feels he needs a new challenge his record at Barca will go down in folk law and like Mourinho maybe his attitude is "hear for a good time not for a long time."

In hindsight it probably would have been better for him to go out in Wembley lifting the European Cup but maybe he feels he's no longer the man to keep that club moving forward.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:06 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

If he never manages another day, he's the best manager in Barca's history & amongst the best managers in Europe's history, in 4yrs.... 3 La Liga's, 2 ECL & 2 CWC

....you could interpret it as a lack of intestinal fortitude or the fact he's earned a break & identified a 'natural watershed'.... but his successor gets a club in good nick & their fans should be grateful

.....& 'unattached' means he's unavailable for any unexpected exits

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:38 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I'm hoping there is a long term plan that's been set out with United :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:43 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

So that we can play 70000 passes and lose 1-0 to Chelsea? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:38 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I'd take a champions league win every other year which is his current average.

#justsayin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:39 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

idontfeardeath wrote:

football's funny.... 9 months ago, this was the best team we'd ever seen, unbeatable, untouchable..... now the greatest player there's ever been, misses a penalty, they hit the post 3 times.... & he's a bottle job, with a broken steering wheel, Barca are a fading force & he's ineffective

:shrug:

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:42 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

idontfeardeath wrote:

You're right, one ball up to John Fashanu will get us an FA cup win.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next