AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 759 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Apple, the iPhone and various other disasters
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:20 am 
General
General

Highscores: 2
NSFW :D

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: iPhone 4
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:26 am 
General
General

Consumer Reports: 'We were wrong about the iPhone 4'

Yes, the antenna sucks

By Rik Myslewski / The Register

One of — if not the — most respected product-testing labs has reversed its original positive opinion of the iPhone 4, citing results of its comprehensive testing of the Jobsian handheld's pesky antenna.

"Consumer Reports has confirmed that the iPhone 4 has an antenna problem," says spokesman Mike Gikas. "We tested multiple iPhones as well as other phones from AT&T, and found that the problem is really only with the iPhone 4. Bottom line, we can't recommend the iPhone 4 until Apple fixes this design flaw."

In a blog post, Gikas notes that CU's testing was done in a radio frequency (RF) isolation chamber to eliminate any interference from outside signals, and was performed with a base-station emulator that simulates carrier cell towers.

Click The Link...http://video.consumerreports.org/services/player/bcpid21495733001?bctid=111613310001
Video here

As has been shown by less-meticulous testers and discussed by trusted third parties such as Anand Lal Shimpi of Anandtech, the iPhone 4's external-band antenna can be easily detuned by being touched, and — as Gikas details in the video above — its ability to accept an RF signal is seriously compromised when the now-famous gap between the Bluetooth/Wi-Fi/GPS and UMTS/GSM antennas is bridged when touched.

"Our findings call into question the recent claim by Apple that the iPhone 4's signal-strength issues were largely an optical illusion caused by faulty software that 'mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should for a given signal strength,'" Gikas writes.

The flaw is especially galling because of CU's favorable opinion of most every other aspect of the handheld. Gikas specifically cites the iPhone 4's display, video camera, video-chat capability, gyroscope, and battery life as praiseworthy.

Unfortunately, though, those niceties are overshadowed by the phone's antenna troubles: "Apple needs to come up with a permanent — and free — fix for the antenna problem before we can recommend the iPhone 4," Gikas concludes.

As other testing has shown, the iPhone 4's reception can actually be more robust than that of previous iPhones. However, when signal strength is dodgy, serious attenuation such as that discovered by CU's testing can cause signal strength to dip to such a degree as to cause wireless connection to be lost.

In other words, to paraphrase Longfellow's ditty about the little girl and her little curl: "When the iPhone 4 is good, it is very, very good; but when it is bad, it is horrid."

At minimum, Apple should provide — for free, of course — provide every iPhone 4 owner with one of its $29 Bumper antenna covers. At maximum, Apple should issue a recall and replace each iPhone 4's problematic antennas with redesigned — insulated? — signal-catchers that eliminate the iPhone 4's fatal flaw.

Until Apple 'fesses up and admits that the iPhone has a problem, no amount of "You're holding it wrong" or "It's the bars' fault" song-and-dance stonewalling is going to either re-burnish Cupertino's faltering reputation or defend against its growing legal woes.

Note to Steve "Smartest CEO" Jobs: the ball is now in your court.

Bootnote

CU's Gikas suggests that the iPhone 4's problem can be mitigated by placing a strip of duct tape over its troublesome antenna gap. "However," he adds, "it does spoil the look, don't you think?" :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:12 am 
Colonel
Colonel

I have bought myself an HTC Legend. It's a lovely looking machine. And so far (I've had it less than a day), it appears more than competent at many applications.

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:47 am 
General
General

the nut's named eric wrote:
I have bought myself an HTC Legend. It's a lovely looking machine. And so far (I've had it less than a day), it appears more than competent at many applications.

Good for you, Apple is upsetting even some fanbois with the new 'phone. :rolleyes: And at least yours won't have malfunctioned or become obsolete by Christmas...

Also, I've just found this place, http://judasphone.com. :snigger:

I've also sent in a couple of my own contributions, we'll see if they get published :D

Post subject: Re: iPhone 4 aka The Judasphone
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:51 am 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Highscores: 7
Jailbroken iPhone 3gs > iphonie 4. :cool:

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:56 am 
General
General

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:19 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Had the new iPhone 4 since the day it came out...really don't see the problem people have with it - it's brilliant! Far too much is being made of the reception issue as well...yes it's not perfect but it really doesn't affect use of the phone 99% of the time. I've never had any issues with it, and neither have any of the people I've asked.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:15 pm 
General
General

Serbinator wrote:
Had the new iPhone 4 since the day it came out...really don't see the problem people have with it - it's brilliant! Far too much is being made of the reception issue as well...yes it's not perfect but it really doesn't affect use of the phone 99% of the time. I've never had any issues with it, and neither have any of the people I've asked.

Well you lot are on your own saying that lol, seems even positive reviews have been rewritten to much more negative ones by the authors once they'd used one for a while - basically they'd discovered the antenna problem.

And it's not just the iPhone4 is flawed by design, which it is - and he was informed of the flaw before they made it wrong and sold it anyway btw - it's been Apple pretending it wasn't, then saying oh yes, we know it's flawed but so were all the other iPhones and they were OK, then they blamed customers for holding it wrong, then they said that it was the media's fault for exaggerating all the flaws... they've also been doing a secretive limited product recall and replacement going on on the quiet - and even denied it when Apple fans have confirmed they received slightly differently cased units upon return of their faulty phones... I've seen the photographs. The returned phones no longer dropped calls or had the same reception problems... Then despite Jobs saying that sticking a piece of tape over the corner of the phone would 'fix' the problem that they won't admit exists (heh heh) - then he says all other phones suffer the same problem by showing a video showing several rival phones signal strength drop apparently under similar circumstances. He was even blaming the time it takes for AT&T to get planning permission in San Francisco for new phone masts at one point... It's everyone's fault except Apple's according to Steve Jobs lol. :rolleyes:

And I didn't once have to bang on about it's lack of features or ridiculous price. :cool: Those guys are just an insult to the intelligence, and they think their customers are all too thick to care.

Glad yours is ok though. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:24 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I'm due for my upgrade now but think i'm going to hold off for a while until they upgrade the software to sort these issues out my flatmate has had a few problems with his

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:47 pm 
General
General

JSP wrote:
I'm due for my upgrade now but think i'm going to hold off for a while until they upgrade the software to sort these issues out my flatmate has had a few problems with his

Turns out apparently the fix is a redesigned case rather than a software issue. Dunno if the internals are different in any way with the returned ones, or if it's all of them or a 'bad batch' type scenario. Apple won't say...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:03 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

conscience wrote:
Turns out apparently the fix is a redesigned case rather than a software issue. Dunno if the internals are different in any way with the returned ones, or if it's all of them or a 'bad batch' type scenario. Apple won't say...

Yeah my understanding is they're giving you a case that will cover the wifi switch which causes the phone to go dead during calls or something like that. Now paying £120 for a phone which part of the attraction is the styling I'm not sure I want to put a bulky case on the outside of it just too make it work.

Really they should be able to update the software so that flicking the switch while making a call doesn't do anything. Almost like an auto disable function while calls are being made then once the call disconnects it's comes back online.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:31 pm 
General
General

JSP wrote:
conscience wrote:

Yeah my understanding is they're giving you a case that will cover the wifi switch which causes the phone to go dead during calls or something like that. Now paying £120 for a phone which part of the attraction is the styling I'm not sure I want to put a bulky case on the outside of it just too make it work.

Really they should be able to update the software so that flicking the switch while making a call doesn't do anything. Almost like an auto disable function while calls are being made then once the call disconnects it's comes back online.

Dunno about a cover type case, that'd work but knacker the styling as you say, but users reported the box that houses the internals was different upon it's return from being fixed by Apple... the two internal antenna short out when bridged - a hardware problem - and that's not something a software update can fix I don't think... I assume disabling one of them won't change the fact there'll still be a physical connection that does the damage when held in your hand... unless you replace the phone casing.

Won't be a big deal if they've realised now and change the new ones so they're ok, early adopters are used to this sort of thing usually, but without Apple playing ball over the numbers there's no way to know how many of those on the retailers shelves are potentially dodgy.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:45 pm 
General
General

Boffins authenticate Apple 'Antennagate'

Judas Phone 'death grip' proven fatal

By Rik Myslewski • Register

More evidence has surfaced that Apple's beleaguered Judas Phone does, indeed, have serious reception challenges — and today's facts and figures come from a sophisticated source.

"Tests ... have indicated that Apple's iPhone4 does indeed suffer from connectivity problems compared to other smartphones," begins a report by the PA Consulting Group, a global management, IT, and technology consulting firm headquartered in London.

PA ran the Judas Phone through a comprehensive battery of tests, both on Vodafone's network and on a test network in an anechoic chamber not unlike those used by Apple (video) in its product testing, as trumpeted by Steve Jobs during his "There is no Antennagate" presentation on July 16.

PA's testing was conducted at its corporate Technology Centre, "deep in the Cambridge countryside", as described in an admittedly somewhat silly video that the company produced to give an overview of its testing and that testing's results:

The iPhone 4 was tested in various orientations, being held in different grips, and with and without a rubber bumper that Apple now offers to any Judas Phoner who wants one. PA's test bumper, however, was a thick rubber band, since Apple's branded bumper, they note, is not yet available in the UK. By way of comparison, the same tests were performed on a Blackberry Bold 9700 and HTC HD2.

The PA Consulting Group's test results, simply put, make Steve Jobs and his favorite phone look rather shabby:

* Uplink to Vodafone, not held: BlackBerry best, HTC second, and iPhone third — although the differences were minor and "the user may not notice much difference in practice."
* Uplink to Vodafone, firm and light grip: Again, on average, BlackBerry best, HTC second, and iPhone third. Testing was done without the iPhone's antennas being bridged — the so-called Death Grip — because: "When the 'death grip' was used and the gap bridged, the signal level dropped to the point where it was not possible to conduct the test as the call could not be established to begin with."
* Test network, not held, various orientations: As before, BlackBerry best, HTC second, and iPhone third, "but the Blackberry has a further lead over the other two, and the difference between the iPhone and the HD2 is negligible."
* Test network, various grips, 0° and 90° orientations: Same order of results, although "the results are now closer than on the live network."

When PA added its rubber-band iPhone 4 Bumper equivalent to the Judas Phone, performance increased substantially in all cases: whether the phone was held in the right or left hand or in a 0° or 90° orientation.

PA's dry, objective overall conclusion: "The iPhone antenna performance is comparable with the performance of the other mobiles when handled or hands-free, though at the lower end of the range."

But PA's equally objective assessment of the Death Grip effect is damning: "The so called 'death grip' gives a substantial further drop in performance for the iPhone to the point where we could not quantify it using the same test method."

On Apple's "Smartphone antenna performance" web page, Jobs & Co state that "nearly every smartphone can lose signal strength if you hold it in a certain way." But PA Consulting Group's testing indicates that when a bumperless iPhone 4 is held in "a certain way" — the antenna-detuning Death Grip — that loss of signal can cause calls to be dropped or not connect in the first place.

As Steve Jobs put it during his "There is no Antennagate" press conference: "We haven't figured out a way around the laws of physics yet."

- - - -

:rolleyes:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:22 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Serbinator wrote:

are you and all the people you asked right handed though

:wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:25 am 
Major General
Major General

mr stew wrote:
Serbinator wrote:

I am, and off the top of my head the others are too, yes. Does it mostly affect left handed people then?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:45 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Serbinator wrote:
mr stew wrote:
Serbinator wrote:

I am, and off the top of my head the others are too, yes. Does it mostly affect left handed people then?

the reception issue was experienced more by left handed people due to the way they are more likely to grip the phone.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:48 am 
Major General
Major General

mr stew wrote:
the reception issue was experienced more by left handed people due to the way they are more likely to grip the phone.

Just have to hope I don't suddenly change hands I use after 23 years otherwise this oculd be a real issue :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:08 am 
General
General

mr stew wrote:

Really? Not heard that before. I dunno about you lot, but I regularly hold my (landline) phone with either hand... didn't realise people used one hand more than the other on them. And wouldn't righties favour holding it with their left hand to use their right hand on the controls?

Either way, if you put a rubber case on it then it works fine, as it's plastic case isn't insulated enough and/or the antenna are in the wrong places/too close together. What's technically known as an oops.

Apple are currently having more trouble with it in France, where their telephone partner are advising iPhoners not to upgrade to iOS4 as the new playlist functionality etc. is not worth the slow down it causes, as the drop in performance is noticeable from v3 where things snapped open. 2010 isn't Apple's year. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:56 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Heh I agree Con - I'm right-handed but use my lefft hand for my cellphones. As to the iphone well.. I think the iPad is more attractive (yet so Apple-ridiculously overpriced)- right now my combo of a BB javelin and a ipod touch is quite comfy. I really don't want an all-in-one unles it's a laptop lol.

Post subject: Apple iPhone app patent claim 'doesn't feel right'
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:32 pm 
General
General

Apple iPhone app patent claim 'doesn't feel right'

Small dev flags uncanny parallels

By Rik Myslewski • Register

Apple has apparently lifted the look-and-feel of an iPhone app from German developer FutureTap and used it in a software patent application, putting that developer in a sticky situation.

"I can't really judge whether the inclusion of a 1:1 copy of our start screen in someone else's patent is legal," wrote FutureTap founder Ortwin Gentz in a posting on his company blog. "I just have to say, it doesn't feel right."

How apparent are the similarities? Judge for yourself: Comparison of FutureTap app and Apple patent illustration

That's FutureTap's app on the left, and Apple patent illustration on the right. Notice any parallels?

Gentz says that the four-and-a-half-star-rated iPhone app in question, Where To? - GPS points of interest, was "launched on day 1 of the App Store" — that'd be July 10, 2008. Apple's suspect patent application, "Systems and methods for accessing travel services using a portable electronic device," was filed on October 1, 2009, and published last Thursday.

Apple's use of his app's UI has put Gentz in an uncomfortable position he claims. "We're faced with a situation where we've to fear that our primary business partner is trying to 'steal' our idea and design," he alleged.

Apple's "our way or the highway" control over its App Store leaves developers with little procedural recourse — and as has been demonstrated time and time and time and time again, the App Store police can be both heavy-handed and capricious, presumably prompting developers to think twice before complaining too loudly.

Gentz's blog posting paints him as a man torn between currying Cupertino's favor and standing up to them: "We've always been more than grateful for the platform Apple created. And, in fact, still are," he writes. "However, we can’t ignore it if the #1 recognition value of our (currently) only app potentially is under fire."

To his credit, Gentz contacted Apple about Cupertino's demonstration of the "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" adage. To Apple's lack of credit, they have not responded to his inquiry — even though, as Gentz notes: "Actually, one of the reasons we waited nearly a week with this post, was to give Apple time to respond."

Apple didn't immediately respond to our request for comment, either.

The legal implications are murky. Our reading of Apple's patent application shows it to describe, in part, many of the capabilities of Where To?, but the exceptionally wide net that the filing casts encompasses far more functionality.

In addition, it's clearly arguable that Apple may have used Gentz's UI for exemplary purposes, with no intent to claim ownership of the Where To? look and feel.

That said, if Apple did simply bag the UI without asking Gentz — or even notifying him — it would show a cavalier disregard for a developer's work and his investment in it.

Perhaps this is a mere tempest in the proverbial teapot. Or perhaps Gentz will receive an email from Steve Jobs that's a paraphrase of a message the Apple CEO sent to another developer, one who was concerned with seemingly arbitrary App Store shenanigans:

"Change your apps UI. Not that big of a deal."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

More from the company who doesn't love anyone but itself, shouldn't be a surprise any more... the self-proclaimed 'kings of innovation' stealing their ideas... who'da thunk it. :rolleyes:

In other recent Apple news, their iPhone executive Mark Papermaster, the man reportedly responsible for the much-denied "antennagate", has been axed. Not that there's anything wrong with the antenna if you believe Steve Jobs though... :snigger:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 759 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 38  Next