AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

This forum is for friendly, fun chat. Be nice.

Post subject: AGR to Close... maybe
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:37 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

All,

As some of you may or may not be aware the running of this site for the last few years has been left to Con & I.

Con does all the behind the scenes stuff to keep this place operational including paying for the running costs of the site but sadly he has decided that he can no longer do this and while I/we could probably help cover the financial side of things without Con to do the admin the site won't function and I don't have the skills to make that work.

So it's with a heavy heart that the decision has been made to take AGR offline like a trusty old dog we've gone limp in our old age and it's time to be taken out to the shed and be given both barrells :p

Now for those of us who want to stay in touch would anyone be interested in joining a closed group on facebook?

If you are drop me an email slamdunkgump@hotmail.com

I'll look at setting something up and through email invite you in and for those of you who communicate outside of the forum please pass the message on

I suggest we make the most of it while it's still here so please use this thread to post your favourite memories.

It's been a pleasure

JSP (Paul)

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: AGR to Close
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:52 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Shit, it's been emotional gents :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:54 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Nooooooooo

But I guess all good things must come to an end

@B1gdanny7 on Twitter If anyone wants to keep in touch

Danny Cowley for Facebook

Bigdanny2411@Gmail.com for the invite

And yes I would be interested in the Facebook group JSP let me know

R.I.P AGR

CLB

Last edited by conslittlebro on Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:50 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Highscores: 28
I'm shocked and very sad to hear this news.
A big thanks to JSP and Con for keeping things running as long as you have.
I really missed the vbetting from the old 442, now I'll miss the arcade from AGR. Think I'm the only one that still uses it!
Mostly though, I will miss some very good posters. Quality forums are harder to come by nowadays as they continue to disappear or almost slow to a stop. But, it's been a pleasure guys.
Any ideas what date it will actually stop?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:33 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

It's down to Con the bills are paid to keep the lights on a little bit longer but the site itself is causing him problems with malware as basically we're a spammers paradise as all our stuff is out of date.

I think he hopes to keep the hamster wheel spinning for a little while longer to allow people to say their goodbyes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:10 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Massive shame but understandable

Definitely set up a closed FB group. Steven Stagles or Idontfeardeath@gmail.com for the invite.

Forums are being killed off by FB/Twitter

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:30 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Highscores: 8
A sad but inevitable day. Definately do the FB group.

My FB account name is Kommander Kanine (I use it mostly for gaming).

For email invite: ocbimaga@gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:01 am 
Colonel
Colonel

What a massive shame. Know I've not been as active a contributor in recent times, think like Joe it was getting a little Echo chamber-esque. I'd join the FB thing, you'll all find out who we each are, scary! mickeyblue1981@hotmail.com for that.

Lasting or favourite memories?

The heady days of 256 online members. General Chat being a Japanese War Hero, the pit being a place of conversation outside the polite, and the FM thread. Apologies for my losing interest in that. Losing the virtual me put a kiosk on that one very early. Man so many names flooding back too. Gracey, 2Olegend, Republik of Mancunia, Spawn, LaJo, Dyson, crap bowler, rooneylegend, I'm trying to remember a 442 mod, old fella tache, loved the fit women thread! Christ, I've spent soooo much time on 442 and it's variants, I'm shocked and saddened to see it go.

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:11 am 
Major General
Major General

Sad to hear ..almost 11 years together ...it was worth it .. Will drop email JSP

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:07 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Some of the earlier members Red Sagem, Rio From The Block, Gary Nevilles Taches, Sheasy Bum Hamster, It's a Fair Kop, Ressurection Joe (You can still say his name here), Reedo and there's probably so many more I'm forgetting I remember leaving the forum for a few hours and you could come back to pages of new posts all over the place.

I think the biggest achievement of this place is that Spawny & LaJo met on here and entered into a real life relationship got married and even had a kid so AGR is somehow responsible for bringing life into the world.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:33 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I've got Gracey on FB/Insta

My favourite AGR story will always be Riq and the crazy gitl.

The daily chat threads used to make work fly by. SBH and his heart attack burger van..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:26 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Can you believe it was Donald Trump not Sir Alex retiring that sent us over the edge.

I think Con and the others can safely say they achieved what they wanted for a long time which was a sensible place to discuss football without the morons of 606. It's been a pleasure!

Just looking at the first game after my join date to give an idea of the changes we've seen since the launch of AGR in its current guise.

VDS

G. Nev Ferdi Evans Evra

Nani Hargreaves Fletcher Park

Rooney Tevez

Subs: Foster Brown Ronaldo Anderson Giggs Vidic O'Shea

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:59 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Remembered the name of the mod I was thinking of, Velocity. His son was on here for a bit early on too. I had a little stroll down memory lane in the fit women thread. Weird how that was 8 years ago. Meaning I've been on 442,441 and AGR for close to 11 years if not more! OMG!

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:46 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Think about 2006 I joined. Couldn't remember the old name earlier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:05 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Hello there. :)

Firstly, my apologies for my extended absences. I went from not sleeping for 16 years to not being able to stay awake long enough to post, but I am delighted with what we did achieve during the life of the forum and that it has lasted as long as it did. Hell, I'm proud of what we did.

The decision to close the forum did not come easily, I think we all have a lot of very fond memories of the place... I know I certainly do. :D

The reasons for this decision are twofold: On the one hand, we have a serious malware infection problem with the server (more about that below); on the other hand, the last of the web sites I've been designing, hosting and donating the proceeds to pay for the AGR server has now come to an end. A simple lack of sleep has prevented me actively recruiting any more potential website customers and the last one ended their account at the end of December 2016, so as of then I'm paying all the bills out of my own pocket which sadly is not something I can afford to continue doing indefinitely. Without a means to clean the server without losing the forum and without the necessary funds coming in to cover the bills, unfortunately this decision was sadly unavoidable.

The malware situation with the server is quite serious, apparently. I have been contacted and informed that our server is spewing out massive amounts of nasty ransomware type malicious software via email spam, and I know of no easy fix. I cannot update the forum software to try to defend against it due to not having the correct information to do so, sadly it got lost over the years, so if I wipe the server clean then I don't have the necessary info to reconnect the forum to the forum database etc. to get the forum back up and running so it would be an empty forum devoid of all the posts afterwards. On top of which, I am not even sure it would be possible to update as the server even if I did have the info due to the malware infection.

Regarding staying in touch, I am more than happy to set up a new forum on a free forum provider, just like we used in the old days (ProBoards, InvisionFree). IF there is any interest in using a free site like this then please let me know and I'll set one up ASAP. However, if you all prefer social networking instead and intend to stick to Facebook etc. instead then fair enough. It's not a site I tend to ever use but I would try to call in from time to time just to say hello and see how you're all doing. Think I'm "Andy Snowface" on FB (snowface being the first random word it would accept as a genuine name lol), I don't check it often but I'm best contacted through there. Perhaps we can settle on a cross-platform instant messenger that we can invite everyone to join... who knows, we could end up with all the old faces on there. There is a good instant messenger called Pidgin which would be a good choice for which software to use as it supports Windows, Apple Mac and Linux operating systems and even has a plugin called Off-The-Record which encrypts everything for private chats. I'm in the process of sorting out a new email address after which I'll share it with you all.

Finally I would like to say a massive thank you to everyone who used this forum in any of it's guises over the years (606Substitute/442Forums/441/AwayGoalsRule) and who contributed in any way from posting to moderating - thanks guys. I believe the experience of our forum was pretty unique, it was (imho) a relaxed atmosphere, brilliant fun and full of great people. It is a time I will always remember with much genuine fondness. So many friends here and the happy hours we wasted away chatting about all sorts of stuff, I honestly never visited another website quite like it. You can't buy happy memories this good.

I'll keep the lights on and keep the forum online for another month or possibly two to give everyone time to say their goodbyes and swaps up to date contact info etc.

And no, I'm not emotional... I've just got something in my eye. :ninja: :p

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:08 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
JSP wrote:
Some of the earlier members Red Sagem, Rio From The Block, Gary Nevilles Taches, Sheasy Bum Hamster, It's a Fair Kop, Ressurection Joe (You can still say his name here), Reedo and there's probably so many more I'm forgetting I remember leaving the forum for a few hours and you could come back to pages of new posts all over the place.

I think the biggest achievement of this place is that Spawny & LaJo met on here and entered into a real life relationship got married and even had a kid so AGR is somehow responsible for bringing life into the world.

You're right, so many great people over the years it's hard to name them all.

LaJo and Spawny weren't the only ones who met and got married and started a family here - there was also Louise (aka RedDevilRuud) and Mike (aka Main Man Mike - IIRC). :D

It sure was one hell of a great ride.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:47 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I Agree I've never come across another site like it. A small network of people who actually have knowledge of the game but outside of that could talk and have a laugh bought together by the common interest of the game.

Thanks for everything Con. I dread to think about how many 'wasted' hours some would consider it!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:13 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
Noooooooooooooooooooo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:20 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Ah !

Pitty .But understandable.
Thanks to this forum I once even started to think in english, now because of age I start to not thinking at all .
Thank you for giving me the memories (as long as they may last )
I do not use facebook so for all who may care Goodbye live well and thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:22 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

IMDB have decided to close their message boards. I'm going to run out of ways to pass the working day!