AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Is Usain Bolt guilty by association?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:50 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Nine men in history have run the 100m in less than 9.8 seconds.

The first, 25 years ago this summer, was Ben Johnson, running 9.79 to win the 1988 Olympic final in Seoul.

We know how that one turned out: for a quarter of a century he was sport’s most famous shamed doper, until Lance Armstrong gave him a run for his money.

It took more than a decade for the 9.8 barrier to be broken again. Here, in order, are the men to have done it (with the relevant notes beside their best times):

- 9.79 – Maurice Greene – Has never tested positive. He has admitted paying Mexican discus thrower Angel Guillermo Heredia $10,000 – a payment the Mexican claims was for performance-enhancing drugs, but the American maintains was innocent, for ‘stuff’ for his training group.

- 9.79 – Justin Gatlin – The 2004 Olympic champion was banned in 2001 for two years for testing positive for amphetamines. And then again in 2006 for four years for ‘testosterone or its precursor’. Back again, and running fast. Won bronze in London last summer.

- 9.78 – Tim Montgomery – Admitted to testosterone and human growth hormone use – his once-world record mark has been stripped from the history books.

- 9.78 – Nesta Carter – 27-year-old Jamaican who has claimed gold in the 4x100m relay at the past two Olympics. A training partner of Asafa Powell.

- 9.72 – Asafa Powell – Confirmed that he failed a doping test on Sunday, but denies knowingly cheating.

- 9.69 – Tyson Gay – Confirmed that he failed a doping test on Sunday: “I made a mistake. I don’t have a sabotage story, I don’t have lies… I basically put my trust in someone and I was let down.”

- 9.69 – Yohan Blake – Tested positive for 4-Methyl-2-hexanamine in the 2009 World Championships – the substance is not on the World Anti-Doping Agency’s banned list, but the test led to his withdrawal from the event by the Jaimaican Amateur Athletic Association and he was among four to be given a three-month ban by his federation.

- 9.58 – Usain Bolt – Usain Bolt is clean. We cannot stress that enough. He has never tested positive, he has never been accused of taking stimulants. He has an unblemished record. His performances have brought huge joy around the world, and taken the breath away.

And yet, what as fans we are being asked to believe is that Usain Bolt is more than a tenth of a second quicker than all of his rivals, the majority of whom are tainted in some way or another by doping.

A tenth of a second might as well be a lifetime in the 100m sprint. It’s certainly metres on the track.

You have two options: you can accept that some of Bolt's fiercest opponents are doping to keep pace with him and still getting blasted away (which makes his achievements in one light greater than ever) – or you concede that, in a sport where past disappointments have bludgeoned cynicism into us, it looks suspicious.

Is Bolt tarnished by association?

Among those guilty are some of his international team-mates and friends. That, eerily, is how the Lance Armstrong’s reputation began to unravel, when the likes of Tyler Hamilton and Floyd Landis, who had ridden with him on the Tour de France, were exposed as cheats.

It is awkward, of course, to have the debate. One can only stress again that Usain Bolt is clean, unblemished, accused of nothing.

But as Bill Simmons wrote on Grantland in February, the question of whether what you’re watching in sport is miraculous or mutant has to be addressed in some way. We have seen too many scandals to blindly celebrate all winners, yet as fans looking in, we have no proof of wrongdoing. As Simmons put it:

“I believe we need to fix this disconnect between our private conversations and our public ones. Cheating in professional sports is an epidemic. Wondering about the reasons behind a dramatically improved performance, or a dramatically fast recovery time, shouldn't be considered off-limits for media members. We shouldn't feel like scumbags bringing this stuff up. It's part of sports.”

Cycling knows this. As Christopher Froome, a man never implicated in a doping scandal, destroys the field at the Tour de France, the inevitable questions follow. Like a girlfriend cheated on time and again, it is hard to trust that this time it will be different.

Clean or otherwise, Bolt will surely feel the consequences of Gay and Powell failing tests.

And if, heaven forfend, it one day transpired that Bolt had cheated, it's hard to see how the sport, which his charm and unforgettable performances have played such a part in helping to save, could ever recover.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Is Usain Bolt guilty by association?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:55 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
Tough one this. It's not fair that the cheating of rivals should take the shine off of what Bolt has achieved, but it does make you wonder.

I'd like to think that he's clean, and is just one of those freaks of nature who defies logic.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:57 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Bolts team have already released a statement saying that he trains with a different camp and is in no way in any danger of failing a drugs test

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:58 am 
Major General
Major General

Not surprised that they've spoken out already, better to do the PR right off the back of the other guys failing those tests than give people time to talk about it before saying anything.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:16 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

It's the fact that he is blasting a whole field of drug cheats by 0.1 second that makes me wonder what he is doing differently. The only thing with him is that he's been doing those times over such a long period it's not like other guys who've been injured then come back bigger, quicker and stronger that is normally where you smell the rat.

It's exactly the same with the GB cyclists what are they doing that makes them so much better than everyone else? Is it that the sport is finally clean so the top athletes are at the top or is there something going on in the background along with the technological developments Team GB have had in terms of the bikes they use on the tracks being quicker than anyone elses.

There are also questions over all the Spanish athletes following the decision to limit the Fuentes stuff to only cycling and basically destroy the rest of the evidence you can only assume this was because they were so scared of what they might find and decided to bury their heads on the sand.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:51 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Another way to look at it is if the other runners are using drugs to cheat, then what does that say about there personalities in a sporting context?

You could say they take them out of desperation to win or you could say they want to take a short cut. You win at sport by getting everything right, training, diet, effort and the minute details. Obviously you need a very good dollop of natrual talent to win as well but that won't get you there on it's own. If they're doing it to take a shortcut then they haven't got the mentality of a winner simple as. Where their actions a result of greed or desperation to get near Bolt?

Also in most sports you get people who change the game and move it forward. Look at the effect Woods had on Golf, the current Barca and the Spanish team on football. For those who remember when Wenger came to England and bought major changes to the training methods, you could say he changed the game in England.

Every so often someone comes along who's changes a sport beyond recognition, not just by what they do but how they make people change their attitudes on what is possible and how it can be achieved.

As a lover of sport, I hope Bolt falls into that category. The Armstrong case has made even the most optimistic of sports fans cynical which is a shame. In answer to the question above it's not just Bolt but all athletes that suffer from guilt by association.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:29 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

No.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:30 pm 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Highscores: 7
JSP wrote:
It's the fact that he is blasting a whole field of drug cheats by 0.1 second that makes me wonder what he is doing differently. The only thing with him is that he's been doing those times over such a long period it's not like other guys who've been injured then come back bigger, quicker and stronger that is normally where you smell the rat.

It's exactly the same with the GB cyclists what are they doing that makes them so much better than everyone else? Is it that the sport is finally clean so the top athletes are at the top or is there something going on in the background along with the technological developments Team GB have had in terms of the bikes they use on the tracks being quicker than anyone elses.

There are also questions over all the Spanish athletes following the decision to limit the Fuentes stuff to only cycling and basically destroy the rest of the evidence you can only assume this was because they were so scared of what they might find and decided to bury their heads on the sand.

He is running faster. :thumbup:

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:45 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

He's clean off course .
Just like that guy who cycled up mont ventoux faster as Armstrong ever done .

And pigs can fly .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:45 am 
AGR Poster Of The Year
AGR Poster Of The Year

If guilt by association is a thing then they should stop professional cycling and Major League Baseball

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:11 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Well in professional cycling they've basically had to wipe the record books clean over the last 10-15 years I think there are a few years where officially there is no tour winner because they've basically accepted that everyone was taking drugs as the top 3 have all failed.

It's not just Bolt it's everyone who suffers when someone is found to be cheating because it questions the validity of all the results.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:15 pm 
Major General
Major General

Until proven guilty, for me, Usain Bolt is clean.

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

Last edited by pakrooney on Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:48 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Do you mean until proven guilty?

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:34 am 
Major General
Major General

Fix it :D

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:47 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Chris Xuereb, Powell and Simpson are being investigated by Italian police for allegedly breaking Article 9 of the country’s doping laws after a raid on a hotel room in Udine used by trainer Xuereb from which supplements were confiscated.

Powell and Simpson are among five Jamaican athletes to have tested positive for taking banned substance oxilofrine at last month's national championships.

Powell’s agent Paul Doyle alleged that Xuereb provided the duo with supplements which caused the failed tests – but the trainer contends that this is not the case.

"It is time the athletes took responsibility for their doping instead of looking around for a scapegoat, whether that person is their therapist, bartender or anyone else," he stated in an email to the Associated Press.

"Athletes keep using the same story, which is to blame the scapegoat for their own wrongdoing.

“I did not provide any banned or illegal substances to Asafa Powell or Sherone Simpson. I do not know what these athletes were taking in addition to what I suggested to them.

"Although I suggested certain vitamins to these athletes, it is ultimately the athlete's responsibility to accept or reject my suggestion.

"Unfortunately, it appears that these athletes were not solely following my suggestions or WADA's guidelines. These guidelines are in place so all athletes can have a clean sport.

“Both athletes are clearly looking for a scapegoat. I am confident, and I have also spoken to researchers and the police, that I have done nothing wrong."

Xuereb started working with the duo on May 8 after a recommendation to the athletes by a Canadian physiotherapist. He then worked with them on a trial basis for just one week prior to the Jamaican championships.

His contract, which saw him “treating Asafa and keeping him healthy” – according to Doyle - was then extended by four months.

Doyle told AP: "Asafa and Sherone have been tested more than 100 times each through their career ... and never turned in a positive test.

"Now they change their supplements and the first time they get tested, they have a positive test? It has to be something in those new supplements that has caused it. Chris is the one that provided those.

"We're not saying he did anything deliberate, but it's in those supplements."

However, admitted that they should have been more careful themselves.

“In hindsight, we should've made sure we got a list… I said to [Xuereb] in a text message, that all supplements have to be cleared by me first. He never cleared them with me.

“He did send them in an invoice that had the names of supplements in there that he had purchased. But that was it. I didn't have the ingredient list."

In a statement on Sunday, Powell said: "I will confirm that a sample I gave at the national trials in June earlier this year has returned 'adverse findings'. The substance oxilofrine (methylsynephrine) was found, which is considered by the authorities to be a banned stimulant.

"I want to be clear in saying to my family, friends and most of all my fans worldwide that I have never knowingly or wilfully taken any supplements or substances that break any rules.

"I am not now - nor have I ever been - a cheat.

"This result has left me completely devastated in many respects. Professionally, this finding fully negates any possibility of me being a part of Jamaica's contingent of athletes competing at (the) world championships in Moscow later this summer."

Powell, who has never won an individual global sprint title, held the 100m world record between 2005 and 2008 when his then-best of 9.74 seconds was broken by current record holder and fellow-Jamaican Usain Bolt.

He has withdrawn from the Diamond League event in Monaco on Friday.

Simpson, 28, was a member of the Jamaican team that finished second in the 4x100 relay at last year's London Olympics.

She finished equal second in the 100 metres at the 2008 Beijing Games and won a gold medal in the 4x100 relay four years earlier in Athens.

Also on Sunday, American former double sprint world champion Tyson Gay said he had tested positive for a substance he could not identify and was pulling out of next month's world championships in Moscow.

Gay, who had the year's fastest 100m time of 9.75 seconds, said in a telephone conference call to two reporters that he was notified by the US Anti-Doping Agency on Friday that his A sample from an out-of-competition test on May 16 had returned a positive.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:50 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Any hopes Bolt had that his appearance in London would be a celebration of his Olympic glories in the same stadium 12 months ago were dispelled by the first question he faced on Thursday.

Bolt will race the 100m in Friday's Diamond League meeting and return on Saturday for a 4x100m relay yet the number one topic was the recent positive dope tests on his fellow Jamaicans Asafa Powell and Sherone Simpson as well as American Tyson Gay, the fastest man over 100m this year.

"I think there are a lot of details that are still to be discussed, a lot of things that haven't been said so I'm just waiting to see what happens," Bolt told a packed room in a London hotel.

"In life things happen and people make mistakes but as an athlete you have to be very careful and aware, it's hard but that's why you have a team to have to help you out with these things," Bolt added, saying he had spoken briefly with former world record holder Powell and told him to 'stay strong'.

Asked if the public could trust him, Bolt rolled his eyes and set about his now familiar refrain.

"I was hoping that question would come later in the day," he said. "How long have you been following me - since 2008 maybe?

"If you were following me since 2002 you would know I've been doing phenomenal things since I was 15 and setting records all the time.

"I was made to inspire people and to run I was given a gift and that's what I do. I'm going to continue running and using my talent and help the sport.

"I'm not going to stress about it (doping). I know I am clean and I just want to improve the sport and that is what I am going to do."

It would destroy athletics if this guy was found to be dirty you have to assume that he is one of the most heavily test athletes around.

I read the other day that Chris Froome was tested after nearly every stage of the Tour De France and in cycling they probably need to test the whole field after every stage for a few years to restore the credibility of the sport and make it nearly impossible to cheat.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:41 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Some scientist was on dutch tv during the tour telling there was something new used in the peleton that can't be traced yet.

no high hopes .

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:09 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

I really admire Bolt and think he's a genuine superstar. I'd be gutted to find out if he was cheating too and I believe that he's never cheated.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:29 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
fire extinguishers wrote:
Some scientist was on dutch tv during the tour telling there was something new used in the peleton that can't be traced yet.

no high hopes .

No wonder nobody can believe sportsmen are honest anymore. Sad times for sport.

It's any remaining honest ones I feel sorry for, getting tarred with the same brush as the cheats.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:34 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

About time they started testing seriously in football. The Spain debacle where they actually allowed that judge's order to destroy all those blood samples is a travesty and implies that many spanish sportsmen/teams aren't clean... until proven guilty that is.