AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 664 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Is There Any Hope For Society?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:09 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
Quote:
A TEENAGE girl whose young brother accidentally hanged himself used her mobile phone to FILM the tragedy, cops have revealed.

Regina Boateng, 14, reportedly shot footage as brother Rexford dangled limply in his bedroom before paramedics arrived.

It is believed a game went tragically wrong. Police are investigating after a post-mortem revealed the lad, eight, died from asphyxiation.

His brother Eric, 16, found him hanging by a belt from a bunk bed.

A neighbour, who asked not to be named, said cops told him Regina filmed Rexford after he was discovered hanging.

He said: “I cannot begin to think why she would have done that — surely she should have been trying to get him down from the bunk bed with her other brother.

“I asked the policeman if he knew why on earth she had done it but he wouldn’t say much more about it.

“He told me it was 14-year-old girl using her mobile phone and that it was part of the police investigation.”

Another neighbour, John O’Dell, 81, said: “The policeman told me they were throwing the bed clothes around and the eight-year-old boy got hanged.”

Paramedics spent four minutes trying to revive Rexford in the upstairs bedroom before taking him to hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The schoolboy lived with dad Joseph, stepmum Cheryl Brunker, brother Eric and sisters Perpetua, 15, Regina and Josephina, 12.

Neighbours said the children were “very loud and noisy” and a regular source of complaints in the street in Hemel Hempstead, Herts.

It was claimed the youngsters often played outside until 11.30pm.

Blinds were pulled across the windows at the house yesterday, following the tragedy on Saturday.

Rexford was a Year 3 pupil at Hobletts Manor Junior School. The family recently moved from Telford, Shropshire.

A Hertfordshire Police spokesman said a “full investigation” was taking place but added: “It appears this was a tragic accident.” An inquest was due to be opened today.

When idiots like this think 'Harry Hill will like this on You've Been framed'....instead of reacting to their brother's plight :doh:

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Is There Any Hope For Society?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:12 pm 
National Hero
National Hero

Very sad indeed.

And in answer to your question, I've all but given up hope RJ.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:18 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Sheasy's Bum Hamster wrote:
Very sad indeed.

Don't..... I somehow feel responsible :unsure: .....I shall make it my task to restore your faith in humanity

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:24 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Bet you can't restore mine :p

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:24 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

My hope was marginally restored the other day when a friend told me about a women who was having an epileptic (sp) fit on a busy train back from London. The two people sat next to her who weren't travelling with her quickly cleared people out the way and supported her. One hit the emergency button which bought the train manager down who seemed to know what he was doing.

Showed me that there is still a bit of hope left in the world.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:31 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Yeah you do sometimes catch glimpses of it. But the majority are a lost cause imo.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:43 pm 
National Hero
National Hero

Resurrection Joe wrote:
Sheasy's Bum Hamster wrote:
Very sad indeed.

Don't..... I somehow feel responsible :unsure: .....I shall make it my task to restore your faith in humanity

I doubt it, but give it your best shot.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:18 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

"Is There Any Hope For Society?"

Gross overreaction. People do stupid or cruel things, yes, of course, there is no society where that wouldn't happen, but there is obviously hope for society because the vast majority of people wouldn't do that kind of thing. The fact you read about it in Newspapers shows that it's notable, and the fact that it's notable shows how rare incidents like that are. We live in a country with 60m people, on a planet with 7Bn people, it'd be amazing if some of them didn't do insane crap like this.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:33 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Kie99 wrote:
The fact you read about it in Newspapers shows that it's notable, and the fact that it's notable shows how rare incidents like that are.

why does it show how 'rare' these things are? Simply declaring it to be 'rare' proves nothing. I think the fact that these incidents are regularly reported suggests that they are becoming more common..... here's some of TODAY'S stories alone.... acts of 'stupidity' or needless idiocy are not 'rare' and simply dismissing them by making unsubstantiated assertions, doesn't make them go away.

Quote:

THUG Gavin Whiteman was nabbed by cops after a bust-up at his home, where they discovered this pic of him brandishing a sawn-off shotgun on his mobile.
The 23-year-old was beginning a five-year jail term yesterday after police then uncovered the lethal weapon and ammo hidden in his garden.

Whiteman, of Oldham, pleaded guilty at Minshull Street Crown Court in Manchester to possessing a prohibited weapon.

Quote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/mers ... 695911.stm

A Somali teenager was beaten to death by a gang in a row over accusations his cousin drank alcohol, a court heard.

Ahmed Mohammed Ibrahim, 17, was hit in the head with a samurai sword, baseball bat, machete and metal pole in Sefton Park, Liverpool, on 10 March.

He had gone with his 16-year-old cousin Ahmed Mahamoud Ahmed for an arranged fight with the boy's accuser, Ali Mohammed, Liverpool Crown Court heard.

Mr Mohammed, 19, and four other Somali men have denied murder.

Quote:

A MUM wept yesterday as a judge showed her mercy after she hurled her baby son from a window while suffering severe post-natal depression.

The six-week-old fell 12ft on to concrete below the first floor hospital room where the woman was being treated.

Quote:

AN ENGLAND rugby star has been arrested after a man was beaten senseless in a street brawl.
Giant winger Lesley Vainikolo — nicknamed The Volcano — was detained at 2am after a night out.

The Tongan-born ace was held on suspicion of grievous bodily harm after a man in his 20s was rushed to hospital amid fears he might not survive.

Quote:

TEENAGERS are thicker than ever – and it is all the fault of TV and computer games.

Today’s 14-year-olds are only as bright as an average 12-year-old in 1976, according to a shock new study.

The findings of the project at King’s College, London, go against school exam results, which have seen a steady rise in grades across all age groups.

But Prof Michael Shayer said his research, involving 800 youngsters, showed they were being “dumbed down”.

And he added of school assessments: “The moment you introduce targets, people will find the most economical strategies to achieve them.”

the trial of 18 year old Sean Mercer for gunning down 11 year old Rhys Jones continues

Today's incidents alone suggest society is ill.... the only debate is whether it is in decline and whether acts are becoming more symptomatic of an 'increasingly stupid' society.

If my son was hanging as a result of 'bedroom antics' and the first thing my daughter thought to do was film it.... i'd be concerned about the moral framework my society was providing....maybe you wouldn't

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:02 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Resurrection Joe wrote:
Kie99 wrote:
The fact you read about it in Newspapers shows that it's notable, and the fact that it's notable shows how rare incidents like that are.

why does it show how 'rare' these things are? Simply declaring it to be 'rare' proves nothing. I think the fact that these incidents are regularly reported suggests that they are becoming more common..... here's some of TODAY'S stories alone.... acts of 'stupidity' or needless idiocy are not 'rare' and simply dismissing them by making unsubstantiated assertions, doesn't make them go away.

The fact they are in the news suggests that they are rare, the news generally does not report things which are commonplace.

Quote:

Quote:

THUG Gavin Whiteman was nabbed by cops after a bust-up at his home, where they discovered this pic of him brandishing a sawn-off shotgun on his mobile.
The 23-year-old was beginning a five-year jail term yesterday after police then uncovered the lethal weapon and ammo hidden in his garden.

Whiteman, of Oldham, pleaded guilty at Minshull Street Crown Court in Manchester to possessing a prohibited weapon.

He's in prison, well done UK society for putting him away.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/mers ... 695911.stm

A Somali teenager was beaten to death by a gang in a row over accusations his cousin drank alcohol, a court heard.

Ahmed Mohammed Ibrahim, 17, was hit in the head with a samurai sword, baseball bat, machete and metal pole in Sefton Park, Liverpool, on 10 March.

He had gone with his 16-year-old cousin Ahmed Mahamoud Ahmed for an arranged fight with the boy's accuser, Ali Mohammed, Liverpool Crown Court heard.

Mr Mohammed, 19, and four other Somali men have denied murder.

This is not a product of the UK society, it's a product of Somalian society.

Quote:
Quote:

A MUM wept yesterday as a judge showed her mercy after she hurled her baby son from a window while suffering severe post-natal depression.

The six-week-old fell 12ft on to concrete below the first floor hospital room where the woman was being treated.

This is someone who is MENTALLY ILL. Would you prefer a society in which we put the mentally ill in cages, like in Russia?

Quote:
Quote:

AN ENGLAND rugby star has been arrested after a man was beaten senseless in a street brawl.
Giant winger Lesley Vainikolo — nicknamed The Volcano — was detained at 2am after a night out.

The Tongan-born ace was held on suspicion of grievous bodily harm after a man in his 20s was rushed to hospital amid fears he might not survive.

Again, not UK society, he only turned up here in 2007.

Quote:
Quote:
TEENAGERS are thicker than ever – and it is all the fault of TV and computer games.

Today’s 14-year-olds are only as bright as an average 12-year-old in 1976, according to a shock new study.

The findings of the project at King’s College, London, go against school exam results, which have seen a steady rise in grades across all age groups.

But Prof Michael Shayer said his research, involving 800 youngsters, showed they were being “dumbed down”.

And he added of school assessments: “The moment you introduce targets, people will find the most economical strategies to achieve them.”

This is something that can accurately be blamed on society.

Quote:
the trial of 18 year old Sean Mercer for gunning down 11 year old Rhys Jones continues

This also.

Quote:
Today's incidents alone suggest society is ill.... the only debate is whether it is in decline and whether acts are becoming more symptomatic of an 'increasingly stupid' society.

Of course society isn't perfect, such a perfect society is, in my view, impossible, but the suggestion that there's no hope for society is ridiculously premature. It could be so much worse, we could have slavery for a start.

Quote:
If my son was hanging as a result of 'bedroom antics' and the first thing my daughter thought to do was film it.... i'd be concerned about the moral framework my society was providing....maybe you wouldn't

I wouldn't blame society for that, I'd blame the parents. Blaming other people for not taking responsiblity for what we should be doing is a typical flaw of our society though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:25 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Kie99 wrote:
I wouldn't blame society for that, I'd blame the parents. Blaming other people for not taking responsiblity for what we should be doing is a typical flaw of our society though.

point taken.... but the reality is, society is made up by these parents, they influence society by forming the social framework for their children, who in turn make up and influence society

You can't consider 'Is there any hope for society?' by excluding 'parents' from the equation, they are one of the most fundamental and integral parts of it.... issues and attitudes perpetuate and accentuate as a consequence of parental neglect, irresponsibility or deferment

Taking it to it's extreme simply to illustrate a point.... you wouldn't dismiss/overlook Nazism by saying it was Mr & Mrs Hitler's fault as parents.... it becomes a social issue/ill.

The point was initially a point of incredulity rather than wholly serious.... but the more I think about what kind of society produces a 14 year old who would go for a cameraphone before getting their brother down..... the more I wonder what kind of society we have created..... yes people will always be stupid and always have been.... but come on.... the first thing you grab is a phone to 'capture the moment'.... there's stupid and there's staggeringly misguided

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:38 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Resurrection Joe wrote:
Kie99 wrote:

point taken.... but the reality is, society is made up by these parents, they influence society by forming the social framework for their children, who in turn make up and influence society

You can't consider 'Is there any hope for society?' by excluding 'parents' from the equation, they are one of the most fundamental and integral parts of it.... issues and attitudes perpetuate and accentuate as a consequence of parental neglect, irresponsibility or deferment

Taking it to it's extreme simply to illustrate a point.... you wouldn't dismiss/overlook Nazism by saying it was Mr & Mrs Hitler's fault as parents.... it becomes a social issue/ill.

The point was initially a point of incredulity rather than wholly serious.... but the more I think about what kind of society produces a 14 year old who would go for a cameraphone before getting their brother down..... the more I wonder what kind of society we have created..... yes people will always be stupid and always have been.... but come on.... the first thing you grab is a phone to 'capture the moment'.... there's stupid and there's staggeringly misguided

Nazism was an ideology the majority of German people supported though, that's certainly a society that's deeply flawed and manipulated. The 14 year old is a huge rarity, I'm confident 99.9% of people certainly would not behave in the way that the 14-year old did, although I obviously can't back this up with anything. It's an aberration, I don't think you'd be able to find many more examples of people not helping someone who's hung themselves. It would be a large scale issue, society's problem, if more people would behave in that way. Society ain't perfect but while the majority of people have a good standard of living and aren't committing crimes regularly I wouldn't say it's hopeless.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:49 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Kie99 wrote:
I don't think you'd be able to find many more examples of people not helping someone who's hung themselves. It would be a large scale issue, society's problem, if more people would behave in that way. Society ain't perfect but while the majority of people have a good standard of living and aren't committing crimes regularly I wouldn't say it's hopeless.

I'm not as convinced as you are

Quote:
Jimmy Twiddledick Posted: Oct 1 2008, 01:43 PM

COPS last night slammed a baying mob who urged a suicidal lad to jump 60ft to his death from a multi-storey car park.

Police negotiators had spent three hours trying to talk Shaun Dykes, 17, down from the ledge.

But a crowd gathered opposite and began goading Shaun, who was depressed at a relationship break-up.

Some yelled, “Get on with it” and “How far can you bounce?” before he fell, dying instantly.

Witnesses in Derby said adults were watching with their children.

Cops are investigating and Supt Andy Hough called it a “shocking reflection on society”.

Rob Howard, head at Heanor Gate Science College which Shaun attended, said: “I wonder what value some people put on human life.”

Shaun’s parents, of Kilburn, near Derby, were too upset to comment.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:11 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

That's not society's problem, it's just part of the dark side of human nature. It'd be extremely difficult to eliminate it.

Warning: Grotesque Image
Spoiler:

For more examples have a look at that thread you posted about medical experiments. People do evil things, particularly when in a crowd who are doing the same things. Look at football hooligans, from whatever country you choose to look at, people perceive their actions as gaining legitimacy once they see other people doing it. Society as a whole considers this mob telling someone to jump disgusting, look at the tone of the article.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:15 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Kie99 wrote:
For more examples have a look at that thread you posted about medical experiments. People do evil things, particularly when in a crowd who are doing the same things. Look at football hooligans, from whatever country you choose to look at, people perceive their actions as gaining legitimacy once they see other people doing it. Society as a whole considers this mob telling someone to jump disgusting, look at the tone of the article.

:lol: rather than convincing me that society, standards etc aren't declining and there is nothing to worry about.... you may well have convinced me that we've always been thick, stupid, evil bastids and are simply finding new and technologically innovative ways of demonstrating it e.g. happy slapping

I may never post again :suicide:

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:21 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Resurrection Joe wrote:
Kie99 wrote:

:lol: rather than convincing me that society, standards etc aren't declining and there is nothing to worry about.... you may well have convinced me that we've always been thick, stupid, evil bastids and are simply finding new and technologically innovative ways of demonstrating it e.g. happy slapping

I may never post again :suicide:

Meh...I don't think it's that bad, it's the human condition, people can change drastically in the right circumstances, and people can do stupid things, we are essentially clever animals and there are always going to be instances of the animalistic side coming through. There's often a perception that things are getting worse, but that's natural, people always want more than what we've got, I'd say general standards of living, certainly in the UK are improving, but I don't think we'll reach a perfect society in a very very long time. Grass is always greener on the other side, and the past is a foreign country.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:42 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I dont know if this really counts in this thread..or if I should find that "Dumb people" thread in the pit from the other day.

Anyway, just read a story about an 8yr old boy who managed to shoot himself in the head with an Uzi, in America. He was at some sort of gun show..where they let you fired proper guns, with proper live ammo at pumpkins/targets etc...and his Dad let him. At 8yrs old..it doesnt really go to show that there's no hope for society or anything I suppose but still. Letting an 8 yr old fire an Uzi?

Apparently when he fired it overpowered him so he ended up pointing out himself..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:05 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Highscores: 1
Maybe it's the £1 a pint that I've just enjoyed, but why was the 14 year old girl named? Surely as a <18 year old, her identity would be protected, as it is arguable that she has committed a crime, namely an omission - you could argue that she has some sort of duty of care to her younger brother...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:00 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

To look at it another way, lets look at the stories that didn't make the papers:

"Yesterday, approximately 60million people did nothing interesting that would make news."

So no, "society" isn't broken (community is broken since thatcher of course, but that is a different thing)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:05 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

TNB wrote:
Maybe it's the £1 a pint that I've just enjoyed, but why was the 14 year old girl named? Surely as a <18 year old, her identity would be protected, as it is arguable that she has committed a crime, namely an omission - you could argue that she has some sort of duty of care to her younger brother...

1) It's in the Sun, a complete rag with as much regards for the law as it has for journalistic integrity
2) She's not been charged with anything

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 664 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34  Next