AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 664 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: Is There Any Hope For Society?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:46 pm 
AGR Poster Of The Year
AGR Poster Of The Year

I don't have the answers...banning guns will never happen in this country, as a father though I openly cried watching the news, my daughter will be 5 in January I can't even imagine what those parents are going through. Especially for the children who died, but even the survivors how do you explain to child what happened, everyone has a moment in their life when there innocence is lost between the ages of 5-10 is tragically young for that.

And while we are here the American news media can go fu€k itself as well. I don't care if their parents, who were probably I'm total shock, gave permission let's not interview kids that lived through this hours after it happened. And all the misinformation they were passing of as fact as this story was breaking, I thought the job of the news was to report facts not to make their best guess and then go with it until the truth comes out.

And the Westboro Baptist "Church" is the most despicable group in this country, they picket soldiers funerals all the time, they are planning on heading to Connecticut to picket the funerals of these children. If you'd like to learn more about them google them, but I wouldn't do it at work. Their website is godhates"British word for cigarette" .com

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:41 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
The James wrote:
I don't have the answers...banning guns will never happen in this country, as a father though I openly cried watching the news, my daughter will be 5 in January I can't even imagine what those parents are going through. Especially for the children who died, but even the survivors how do you explain to child what happened, everyone has a moment in their life when there innocence is lost between the ages of 5-10 is tragically young for that.

And while we are here the American news media can go fu€k itself as well. I don't care if their parents, who were probably I'm total shock, gave permission let's not interview kids that lived through this hours after it happened. And all the misinformation they were passing of as fact as this story was breaking, I thought the job of the news was to report facts not to make their best guess and then go with it until the truth comes out.

And the Westboro Baptist "Church" is the most despicable group in this country, they picket soldiers funerals all the time, they are planning on heading to Connecticut to picket the funerals of these children. If you'd like to learn more about them google them, but I wouldn't do it at work. Their website is godhates"British word for cigarette" .com

I'm not surprised, as a parent myself I don't think I could have watched the constant upsetting footage which has no doubt been spewing out since it happened. Putting the microphone in the faces of parents in shock and traumatised children should land somebody in court or at least start a serious debate about ethics - something it used to seem pointless to wish for but recently there seems to have been some movement on this, people have just had enough of whoever is taking the p1ss out of them, EG just look at the stick some are taking over a lack of ethics like the Catholic Church, big banking or even MPs' expenses over here... been going on for years and yet all of a sudden people seem outraged by it. About time I say!

Making it up as they go along isn't new, they just aren't used to getting rumbled so fast due to these days of instant news flying around the globe with the 'net and other tech. There was probably no way they'd ever get found out in the old days is the only difference! :rolleyes: Maybe if people voted with their feet and say organised a boycott of the news programmes and/or TV channels involved that might be a start because as you know, if you want them to really listen it has to involve negatively affecting their income.

I have heard of that lot unfortunately, that's no church and they don't act like people of God... they're just idiots with a hate fetish as far as I can tell. Is it even legal for them to carry on like that over there? EG with their anti-f@g campaign? I'm a huge fan of free speech but it should never incite hatred.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:10 pm 
AGR Poster Of The Year
AGR Poster Of The Year

They are protected by the first amendment as most "hate speech" is. They show up at these places, do their thing, inevitably they get shoved, or punched, or spit on. They in turn sue the person that "attacked" them and just like that the trip is paid for and they have money in the bank for next time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:09 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Louis Theroux has done two documentaries where he visited the westboro baptist church Phelps family..both good. They're dregs.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:52 am 
AGR Poster Of The Year
AGR Poster Of The Year

The answer to the question posed in the title of this thread, as far as American society goes anyway, is clearly a resounding no

Click The Link...http://m.deadspin.com/5968935/take-that-nigger-off-the-tv-we-wanna-watch-football-idiots-respond-to-nbc-pre+empting-sunday-night-football

NSFW

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:10 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
26 Moments that restored our faith in humanity.

Click The Link...http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/moments-that-restored-our-faith-in-humanity-this-y

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:11 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

If anyone fancies finding out the direction in which society is actually going rather than wallowing in misery I suggest you invest in a copy of Stephen Pinker's "The Better Angels Of Our Nature: A History of Violence and Humanity". He analyses the history or humanity and its continued civilisation, and puts forward an extremely compelling case that life is getting more civilised and less violent at virtually all levels. He also explains better than I ever could why so many people believe things are getting worse when in fact they're so much better than they've ever been.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:48 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I know we don't have to fear the spanish inquisition , to name something unpleasant of the past.
But i can't help to notice society is getting about me, me ,me .
Not just being selfish but really ignoring feelings and opinions of other people .
We once had the name of being a liberal nation , well forget about that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:50 am 
Major General
Major General

The global media certainly doesn't help, the amount of emphasis that's put on anything negative that happens gives the illusion of things being worse than they are.

That said, there is a very different attitude in society now compared with even 20 years ago.

I live in the same road now that I did then, and back then there was no trouble, kids played in the street and got out of the way when a car came along, bikes were left leaning against houses, etc.

Now, the kids play in the street, and run in front of the cars when they come, and my next door neighbour's kid left her bike leaning against the front wall of their house for 60 seconds while she went and got a drink, and came back to find someone had nicked it.

Now I'm sure that things aren't like that everywhere, but I do think overall there is a lack of respect within society now.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:13 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Spawny wrote:
I do think overall there is a lack of respect within society now.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:48 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.” Socrates, c. 469-399 BC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:59 am 
General
General

Kie99 wrote:
If anyone fancies finding out the direction in which society is actually going rather than wallowing in misery I suggest you invest in a copy of Stephen Pinker's "The Better Angels Of Our Nature: A History of Violence and Humanity". He analyses the history or humanity and its continued civilisation, and puts forward an extremely compelling case that life is getting more civilised and less violent at virtually all levels. He also explains better than I ever could why so many people believe things are getting worse when in fact they're so much better than they've ever been.

I'll try and drop on the book, thanks, but it's becoming more widely know all the time that society (and many things in it) are better than it is reported to be or the majority of people tend to believe, and as has been rightly pointed out, this is largely because of the manipulation from the government/media and constant focus on the negative in order to put as many people as possible in "fight or flight" mode, where very little thinking about anything else except survival takes place in the brain. Makes it easy for the government to get away with pretty much anything while the people are distracted either because people are so busy being worried about the world or have already given up on hoping it changes EG the continued reduction of quality of living and spending on public services whilst currently as a nation having the least debt we've had for many years, or the fact that the bankers are going to have a financially very happy Christmas this year after one of the largest heists in history EG the massive transference of wealth from ordinary people to the ruling/banking class.... to name just two deceptions possible due of this kind of constant, negative news interfering with people from thinking about what is really going on.

I do think things are slowly starting to change though, thanks to tech like the internet being a vast information source where you can check any facts or claims etc., but the number of people who still get their news from the TV or newspapers is frightening.

Maybe we should have a good news thread to balance out this one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:58 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

It is maybe too simple and not true in the UK .
But over 30 yrs ago I learned to drive a car , that was fun then.
Now the roads are full ,driving is agresive and nobody cares about another.
I have the impression it is the same for society , too many people.

Put a rat in a small cage , no problem . Put 10 rats in the same cage , they start to kill eachother.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:56 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
A 13-year-old girl who had been sexually abused slipped and fell to her death while begging a boy to delete a sex tape, an inquest has heard.

Coroner Bernard Richmond QC described Chevonea Kendall-Bryan’s death as a “ghastly accident”, saying she did not intend to kill herself when she plunged 60ft from her bedroom window in Battersea.

He told Westminster coroner’s court that he believed Chevonea was leaning out of the window to convince the boy, known as E6, that she would jump if he did not erase mobile phone footage of her being sexually abused.

He added that he believed that she never intended to follow her threat through.

The inquest was adjourned and will reconvene for the verdict on Wednesday.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:12 pm 
General
General

fire extinguishers wrote:
It is maybe too simple and not true in the UK .

I have the impression it is the same for society , too many people.

Not sure too many people is the problem, it's that they all have a bad attitude because they're all depressed at how badly they get treated by society whether that be government, corporations, employers... or whoever.

Our own Prince Philip wants a population cull! He was once asked what he'd come back as if he reincarnated, and his answer was "A deadly virus!" as he thinks the world is too full! Make of that what you will, I think it's a horrific idea.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:07 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I think there is an issue with population in the UK even during the boom years we didn't build enough houses to sustain our growing population. Cities are more crowded than ever and as they become more crowded competition for jobs goes up as does the cost of supporting those who can't find work which makes people angry.

Now it's not right to just look at the number of people coming in to the UK to find work although personally I think this is something that needs to be looked at not by shutting out borders but the EU need to encourage people with skills to stay in their own countries to help them develop. Ireland has a massive problem at the moment with young people who have degress leaving to get jobs all over the world and their economy is suffering because of it because there best and brightest are leaving.

In the UK you only have to look at some of the cities that have lost major industries over the last generation they grow up in a culture where they're bassically told there is no work for them and no hope. Now that isn't necessarily true but once that message is out there people easily give up on themselves and accept a life of living off the state. Some of these cities housing are in desperate need of repair following years of neglect as many of them were build before WWII or in the aftermath which is 60 years ago now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:13 am 
Colonel
Colonel

The fact we still have a royal family which can veto laws made by democratically elected representatives is something that's genuinely worrying for society

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jan/1 ... veto-bills

In a time where people who live off taxpayers money are being targeted it's about time these parasites were got rid of.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:19 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Kie99 wrote:
In a time where people who live off taxpayers money are being targeted it's about time these parasites were got rid of.

Parasites?

I'm no Royalist, in fact being of Irish extraction I am apathetic towards them. However it cannot be denied that the money they generate in terms of Tourism to these isles is vast.

Therefore I am of the opinion let them do as they please. Without them GB & NI would not be what it is, it could even have been a 51st State by now...

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:54 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Wholly agree with TNNE, and I'm far from a Royalist too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:11 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

the nut's named eric wrote:
Kie99 wrote:

Parasites?

I'm no Royalist, in fact being of Irish extraction I am apathetic towards them. However it cannot be denied that the money they generate in terms of Tourism to these isles is vast.

Therefore I am of the opinion let them do as they please. Without them GB & NI would not be what it is, it could even have been a 51st State by now...

Can I see your evidence for the vast amount of tourism revenue they undeniably generate?

If they're in a purely ceremonial role then I'm less hostile towards them, but if they're continuing to have influence over the laws our democratic representatives are making then the hell with them. The idea of Britain becoming the 51st state is completely ludicrous, with or without the Royal Family.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 664 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next