Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Depression...and its effects
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:52 am 
Major General
Major General

good luck old fellah .. maybe something to do with age :coat:

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:52 am 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Devil_Spawn wrote:
Also, don't ever feel like taking anti-depressants is admitting defeat, if they help then they're a good thing.

Spot on. :thumbup: Anything that helps has to be a good idea, whatever it is.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:06 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
conscience wrote:
Devil_Spawn wrote:
Also, don't ever feel like taking anti-depressants is admitting defeat, if they help then they're a good thing.

Spot on. :thumbup: Anything that helps has to be a good idea, whatever it is.

There is still a massive stigma attached to anti-depressants, and to mental illness in general in this country. A lot of people feel ashamed of it, and that only makes things worse.

I'm taking anti-depressants, and my grandmother is always asking "what're you taking them for? You don't need that rubbish". Yeah, great help that is.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:56 am 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Devil_Spawn wrote:
There is still a massive stigma attached to anti-depressants, and to mental illness in general in this country. A lot of people feel ashamed of it, and that only makes things worse.

I'm taking anti-depressants, and my grandmother is always asking "what're you taking them for? You don't need that rubbish". Yeah, great help that is.

I know and that's a shame, because being clinically depressed is just the same as any other illness or injury... and if you suffer one you need treatment. Simple.

If you had a broken leg nobody would have any problem with going to the hospital for the right treatment for that problem: the pot, the crutches, etc.

If you're depressed, you get the best treatment for that and you get counselling and antidepressants instead.

It's exactly the same thing.

It's a common misconception that it's not a proper illness and that's not a proper treatment, but there's a lot of ignorance surrounding the subject, and it's not helped by the rubbish spouted by people like your grandmother - no offence.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:01 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
conscience wrote:
If you had a broken leg nobody would have any problem with going to the hospital for the right treatment for that problem: the pot, the crutches, etc.

Northeners :lol:

Whose idea was it to call a cast a pot? :stop:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:06 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Serbinator wrote:
conscience wrote:

Northeners :lol:

Whose idea was it to call a cast a pot? :stop:

I didn't realize that was what he was on about to be honest. I was thinking wth gets that for a broken leg?

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:20 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
:lol:

I only came across it when visiting a mate up at Sheffield Uni a few years back. We were heading to a takeaway and it was raining. Some local guy with a cast on his wrist was shouting 'MY POT IS GETTING WET!' We were like 'wtf are you on about?'

The same guys then laughed at us in said takeaway for asking for a chip butty :lol:

So yeah, up North a cast is called a pot for some reason.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:24 pm 
Major General
Major General

conscience wrote:
It's a common misconception that it's not a proper illness and that's not a proper treatment, but there's a lot of ignorance surrounding the subject, and it's not helped by the rubbish spouted by people like your grandmother - no offence.

None taken mate, I've told her as much. The thing is the older generations don't see it as a proper illness, because in their youth it wasn't classed as such.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:51 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Former Burnley defender Clarke Carlisle has revealed that when he was hit by a lorry in December, he was attempting to take his own life.

In an interview with the Sun newspaper, Carlisle said he had been left severely depressed by the end of his football career, financial problems and the loss of a television punditry role.

The 35-year-old left hospital on 30 January, six weeks after being struck in North Yorkshire.

"This was my lowest point," he said.

Carlisle was chairman of the Professional Footballers' Association between 2010 and 2013 and remains on the PFA's management committee.

Born in Preston, he started his career at Blackpool and made more than 500 appearances for nine clubs in a playing career that spanned 16 years, finishing at Northampton in 2013.

Carlisle was airlifted to Leeds General Infirmary following the 22 December incident on the A64 Leeds to York road.

He had suffered cuts, bruises, internal bleeding, a broken rib and shattered left knee.

On Christmas Day he was admitted as an in-patient to a psychiatric unit in Harrogate before his release last Friday.

He said he had reached "an epiphany" that he is "incredibly unwell".

"I ventured out of my room not as Clarke the ex-footballer, but as Clarke, a mental health patient," he said.

"That was the first step in my road to recovery."

Carlisle, the first footballer to appear on Question Time, has previously spoken out about depression and suicide in professional sport and presented a BBC Three documentary on the subject.

In the interview, he said his wife Gemma had seen a "steady decline" since he left Burnley in 2012.

"I missed a sense of belonging, a sense of worth and value in life," he said.

"You see someone in the street and they'd say, 'didn't you used to be Clarke Carlisle?'

"I laughed the first few off but after a while it eats at your core."

Carlisle's wife Gemma has published a series of updates on her husband's condition on Twitter since the incident.

On Wednesday night she tweeted: "Clarke and I thought very long and hard about this over the last week and feel that as you all supported us so immensely through this ordeal you deserved the truth.

"We also want to highlight and create understanding for a lot of issues and feel it would be hypocritical of us to say nothing."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:22 pm 
Major General
Major General

Gosh !

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history