AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: NOTW is no more
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:51 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Mr Spock wrote:
He wont have responded because the Lawyers will have advised him not to, its never a good idea getting into a slanging match with the journos, especially the ones that work for Murdoch titles. As for smiling at RBs wedding, she did a very good job of pretending to be nice and getting in with people, from what I've read she has a rep (right or wrong) for slipping the knife in your back whilst giving you a big lovey hug.
The politicians were too scared of the newspapers too, think of being the short kid at school who tries to keep the school bully happy and pretend not to disaprove in the hope that someone else gets beaten up instead, or to whom the bully pretends to be nice so they can copy your homework, to the world you look like you're being the bully's mate. in your eyes, you're just in self preservation mode.

I wouldn't be suprised as it might explain why Murdoch was so keen to keep her on board rather than pay her off and make her a scapegoat for what happened. She's obviously got all sorts of dirt on all sorts of people in the political and business world so she's a handy asset for him to have.

The consensus even from some of the media who are innocent (haven't been caught yet) is that things need to change as much as they point the finger of blame at News Internation they're all cut from the same cloth.

I wouldn't be suprised if Brown did knowingly allow the story to make him seem more human and get people off his back as pretty much from day one he didn't have the public support. I'm not saying this was done on purpose by him but stopping it probably would of changed the headline to "BROWN SHAME AT SONS ILLNESS."

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:11 pm 
Captain
Captain

http://www.newstatesman.com/newspapers/2011/04/phone-yeah-cameron-murdoch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:58 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
Rebekah Brooks was arrested in London at noon today by detectives investigating the News of the Worldphone hacking scandal and payments to police.

The Metropolitan Police confirmed that they have arrested a 43-year-old woman in connection with allegations of phone hacking and corruption.

Rebekah Brooks, who edited the News of the World from 2000-2003, resigned from her position as chief executive of News International on Friday, apparently securing a £3.5m pay-off in the process.

Brooks was arrested by detectives from both Operation Weeting, which is dealing with the phone hacking scandal that saw thousands of people's voicemail messages illegally acessed, as well as Operation Elveden, the investigation into alleged payments to corrupt officers.

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:10 pm 
Captain
Captain

I beleive the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police resigned today too.

I cant help wondering if this is to keep her quiet on Tuesday or something really big has just come up.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:20 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

A former News of the World journalist who made phone-hacking allegations against the paper has been found dead.

Sean Hoare had told the New York Times the practice was far more extensive than the paper acknowledged when police first investigated hacking claims.

Hertfordshire Police said the body of a man was found at a property in Langley Road, Watford, on Monday morning.

A police spokesman said the death was currently being treated as unexplained, but was not thought to be suspicious.

The spokesman said: "At 10.40am today [Monday] police were called to Langley Road, Watford, following the concerns for welfare of a man who lives at an address on the street.

"Upon police and ambulance arrival at a property, the body of a man was found. The man was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after.

"The death is currently being treated as unexplained, but not thought to be suspicious. Police investigations into this incident are ongoing."

Mr Hoare had told the BBC's Panorama that phone hacking was "endemic" at the News of the World (NoW).

He also said the then NoW editor Andy Coulson had asked him to hack phones - something Mr Coulson has denied.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:54 pm 
Captain
Captain

suspicious?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:17 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Possibly topped himself while under immense pressure. Conspiracy theories will abound. :shrug:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:45 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
A police spokesman said the death was currently being treated as unexplained, but was not thought to be suspicious.

Mr Spock wrote:
suspicious?

....yeah if you want to disregard all the information and make your own mind up because it fits with the demonisation of all things Murdoch :shrug:

....perhaps it was a Murdoch Death Squad.... or Rebekah Wade in a black PVC catsuit.... or simply the organisation only whispered about in the corridors of power

...or maybe he topped himself

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:30 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Willie Eckerslike wrote:
A former News of the World journalist who made phone-hacking allegations against the paper has been found dead.

Sean Hoare had told the New York Times the practice was far more extensive than the paper acknowledged when police first investigated hacking claims.

Hertfordshire Police said the body of a man was found at a property in Langley Road, Watford, on Monday morning.

The spokesman said: "At 10.40am today [Monday] police were called to Langley Road, Watford, following the concerns for welfare of a man who lives at an address on the street.

"Upon police and ambulance arrival at a property, the body of a man was found. The man was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after.

"The death is currently being treated as unexplained, but not thought to be suspicious. Police investigations into this incident are ongoing."

Mr Hoare had told the BBC's Panorama that phone hacking was "endemic" at the News of the World (NoW).

He also said the then NoW editor Andy Coulson had asked him to hack phones - something Mr Coulson has denied.

:ninja:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:22 pm 
Captain
Captain

Are those from the same police forces that were telling us for years that the hacking wasnt going on and there was insufficient evidence to investigate?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:45 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Mr Spock wrote:
Are those from the same police forces that were telling us for years that the hacking wasnt going on and there was insufficient evidence to investigate?

no they're not

so you're implicating Herts Police in the hacking enquiry as well as The Met?

....so, we're at the point where nothing we're told is to be believed unless it fits a pre-ordained agenda that Murdoch = Darth Vader?

....the whistleblower gives all his evidence gets interviewed by police, tells anyone that'll listen that hacking is endemic, gets ignored & forgotten about, Murdoch's empire starts crumbling 4 years later, the police seize volumes of evidence & start a second enquiry...

....and the suggestion is, someone has decided that NOW would be a good time to off a fella who has said all he had to say.... cos that wouldn't draw attention or compound matters?

You reckon Cameron & Murdoch are ordering hits on journalists, because without his evidence, the case will fall apart & it'll blow over before Summer's out?

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:19 am 
Captain
Captain

So its credible that the US Government might have killed thousands of Americans in 9/11, Or that Dr Kelly might not have committed suicide despite the post mortem and enquiry finding that he did, because in both those cases the people who run the world might just be evil enough to do that sort of thing to further their ends, but not that someone might have helped or encouraged or just harrassed a 'journalist' who blew the whistle on alleged illegal practices by NI to 'commit suicide'?
And its not possible that maybe Herts Police might be keeping all the evidence and possibilities quiet for all sorts of reasons (to avoid giving away what they know so they can catch someone, because they dont want to or have been instructed not to cause any more embarrasment to name but a couple)? Or maybe they dont have a clue and are taking the easy way out, or maybe they are just like the Met Coppers who throughout the last fourty years at least, since Wilson flagged it up have been telling the politicians, celebrities, activists and victims of crime who think they have been bugged, monitored and worse that there is no evidence that they have been.

Im neither implicating nor accusing anyone, but the timing is a huge coincidence and the fact that they have been so quick to rule out the possibility that it may be suspicious is also odd.

he may well have committed suicide, he may equally have been driven to that by the sort of tactics that has over the years seen news papers going all out to discredit those who stand up to them, or possibly it was something more sinister, we dont know, but the timing iss odd to say the least. You can no more rule suspicious circumstances out than you can declare he was murdered.
We dont know and its odd.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:57 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

true....

....but i find it hard to exist in a world where, as a result of isolated cases of wrong doing, it becomes justifiable to question everything.... every news story is countered with a counter theory, because occasionally/rarely one is substantiated.

....a bloke seemingly tops himself but it may actually be a conspiracy across several police forces, the government & the media, turns out it's a MASSIVE cover-up across several agencies & the FBI, despite the fact it's it the full glare of national attention.

why would i want to discover that nothing is as it seems, everything is a smokescreen, all those Bond films were historical dramas, The Truman Show was a documentary.... & when they say 'Good Morning, it's 6am Tuesday July 19th'.... the correct response is 'is it, or is that just what they want me to think'?

....there isn't a major story out there that doesn't have a theory contradicting the seemingly obvious facts & i find it as pernicious & unhealthy as the cover ups because it worries people

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:22 am 
National Hero
National Hero

Quote:
BRITAIN spent last night staring at the ceiling with its duvet clutched tightly under its chin.

A lovely, lovely man
People across the country are now waiting in the dark for black clad villains - who are probably also policeman - to use a master key to enter their houses and inject them with one of those drugs that makes it look as if you have had a heart attack.

As the phone scandal thingy claimed its first life, police said nothing would be suspicious ever again, while Rupert Murdoch prepared to give a parliamentary committee a thin smile and a sinister, knowing look.

A spokesman for the News Corp chairman said: "It's totally like a film, isn't it?"

Ordinary members of the public agreed wholeheartedly and said it would be even better if it was made into a high-quality drama series by the wonderfully talented people at 20th Century Fox.

Tom Logan, from Finsbury Park, said : "I love all of their films and TV shows. Everything else in the world is utter rubbish. And thank goodness the Guardian doesn't do telly. Can you imagine how awful that would be?"

John Whittingdale, the Tory chairman of the Commons culture, media and sport committee which will grill Mr Murdoch later today, said: "First of all I will apologise to him, then I'll sing him a song and then I'm going to ask him a series of probing questions about how he became so splendid."

But experts stressed that even if Murdoch has started killing people it does not explain why the country's two most senior police officers have resigned, the prime minister is probably next and Murdoch looks set to lose control of his empire, thereby suggesting there is an even darker and more powerful force controlling all of this.

Julian Cook, professor of conspiracies so crazy they must be real at Roehampton University, said: "At the risk of sounding like Prince Philip, I suspect it's the Chinese guy from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom."

Meanwhile, police will today begin pretending to investigate the death of former News the World reporter Sean Hoare while setting fire to all of his stuff as Neil Wallis and Glenn Mulcaire erase his mobile phone messages after getting the go ahead from Ian Edmondson who will have been given tacit approval by Andy Coulson who will at no point have discussed it with Rebekah Brooks or James Murdoch who in turn would not waste Rupert Murdoch's time with such trivial matters because he is too busy having meetings with his Chinese puppet masters.

A police spokesman said: "Be. On. Your. Way."

Phone scandal thingy round up: Day 14,008

Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner John Yates resigned because it was long, long overdue.

Guardian journalist Nick Davies has taken to wearing a titanium breast plate and a concrete hat.

Nick Boles, a Tory MP and News International freelancer, described the hacking of Milly Dowler's phone as 'a little local difficulty', giving the Labour Party a really good idea for an absolutely fcucking humongous poster.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:13 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
If there was any wrong doing over that guys death surely some journalist or someone will discover what happened and blow the whistle - it's too high profile to go unchecked imo, the police should be getting an independent second opinion on his death just to quash any theories imo. If the only person who sees the body is their own man then questions will remain as you could get one person to cover it up or tamper with the evidence - if the evidence is shared/checked then obviously then it would rule out such foul play or not, as cover ups require a small number of co-conspirators (imo and contrary to most people's opinion) but I don't think you could cover it up 100% with large numbers of people involved because one of them is bound to make a mistake, lose a laptop or have a fit of conscience before spilling their guts to the News Of The world. The truth usually gets out eventually anyway.

I don't think it's 'news' that gets questioned as a rule, it's the spin and bias our media companies have that needs to be questioned - there's just too much power in the hands of too few, the age-old problem suffered across much of our society and I think the news media will continue to be questioned until such time as it's broken up into smaller parts. You just can't trust some of the corporations behind them. Sad but true.

The trouble is when one is identified where something untoward has gone on, people look to transfer this new discovery onto other things and often don't do the research or the information to confirm it just isn't publicly available... which leads to a LOT of unsubstantiated claims that tend to make any honest investigators look like paranoid fools - not a good situation when some things genuinely do need investigating as the odd 'one that gets substantiated' proves. There's nothing wrong with asking questions, it's not checking your facts or your sources that leads to rash conclusions and that's the most unhealthy and unhelpful thing imo.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:21 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

you're not going to dance around naked & tell us about Lulzsec hacking The Sun website & pronouncing Murdoch found dead in his garden?

Quote:
"We have owned Sun/News of the World - that story is simply phase 1 - expect the lulz to flow in coming days,"

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:28 pm 
General
General

Resurrection Joe wrote:
you're not going to dance around naked & tell us about Lulzsec hacking The Sun website & pronouncing Murdoch found dead in his garden?

Quote:
"We have owned Sun/News of the World - that story is simply phase 1 - expect the lulz to flow in coming days,"

I saw it late last night and had it bookmarked tbh.... I was amused obviously, and they do say what goes around comes around.

EDIT: For the record I've not even really been following this story and I've seen nothing to suggest this fella died by foul means... there's a real good chance he fancied death more than life in prison so who knows. Anybody connected with these things would have to be a real idiot to start bumping off the witnesses right now anyway... the world is watching.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:37 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Someone tried to get too Murdoch and his wife slapped em in the face :lol:

Quote:
Rupert Murdoch was accosted during today's hearing by someone with a plate of shaving cream.
Twitter is reporting the assailant is someone named @JonnieMarbles of UK uncut.
He didn't get very far before Murdoch's wife Wendi Deng leapt up and bitch-slapped him. AMAZING.

Click The Link...http://www.businessinsider.com/rupert-murdoch-attacked-wendi-deng-2011-7

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:55 am 
General
General

'Wilful blindness? We've heard of it,' says Murdoch

Table-banging biz tyrant and son grilled by MPs

By Kelly Fiveash • Register

A "humbled" Rupert Murdoch appeared before a committee of MPs this afternoon as a witness on the phone-hacking scandal that has engulfed the News Corp boss' media empire.

The committee's chair, John Whittingdale, denied James Murdoch the opportunity to read from a written statement; the younger Murdoch is the deputy COO at his father's firm.

Questioning then quickly turned to 80-year-old Murdoch, who was heavily grilled by Labour MP Tom Watson.

Murdoch's response was often punctuated with silence. He said: "This is the most humble day of my life."

News Corp's sister company News International published the now-defunct News of the World tabloid – which was shuttered earlier this month after it came to light that phone-hacking was alleged to have been widespread at the newspaper.

Watson asked Murdoch if it was true that his organisation had a zero tolerance to wrongdoing. The media tycoon answered "Yes".

Murdoch claimed not to know who had lied to him and acknowledged that he had been misled over phone-hacking at News International.

Murdoch told Watson he didn't know anything about former NI CEO and erstwhile NotW editor Rebekah Brooks' confirmation to the media committee in 2003 that the newspaper had made payments to police.

He said he only learned of it later, and admitted it wasn't investigated at the time.

"I didn't know of it," he said, before adding, while repeatedly banging on the desk, that the now-dead tabloid accounted for just 1 per cent of his company.

During the original police investigation, which led to the successful prosecution of NotW royal editor Clive Goodman and private investigator Glenn Mulcaire in 2007, Murdoch told Watson that Les Hinton informed him of the matter.

The MP, after grilling Murdoch over phone-hacking compensation payments made to individuals, asked if the crime alleged to have been committed at News International was "endemic".

"Endemic is a very wide-ranging word; I also have be extremely careful not to prejudice the current case," replied Murdoch.

"I was absolutely shocked, appalled and ashamed when I heard about the Milly Dowler case," he added.

Watson then pointed to an earlier parliamentary meeting with NI execs, in which the MPs at the time concluded that there was a "collective amnesia" among those company bosses.

"You're not saying amnesia, you're really saying lies," retorted Murdoch.

Watson then asked Murdoch if the News Corp boss knew that News International's original line was that only "one rogue reporter" had been responsible for the phone-hacking allegations at the firm as of January 2011.

"I forget the date," responded the media mogul.

Watson said it was "revealing in itself what he [Murdoch] doesn't know," about the corporate governance of his own company.

Later in the grilling, James Murdoch was asked if he was aware of the term "wilful blindness".

He said he wasn't, his father then interjected by saying he had heard of the phrase before adding: "We have never been guilty of that."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:06 am 
General
General

Why aren't these men suspects and arrested already?

Oh yeah... they have lots and lots of money. :hmm:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next