It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: NOTW is no more
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:53 am 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Newsnight discussing the issues on BBC iPlayer

Click The Link...http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b012qqwd/Newsnight_19_07_2011/

Turns out that MPs questions were restricted by the police... :rolleyes: ...due to their ongoing investigation - so I hope they'll get a second chance to ask some questions, this time freely. The "oh we didn't know" defence kinda falls apart when they are paying the legal fees from the jailed pair of phone hackers... somebody signed the cheques and checked the accounts. How can it be "abhorrent" to them when they're paying for it? It can't be. :rolleyes:

It's a ridiculous charade imo, Alan 'call me Lord' Sugar suggested in the House of Lords that journalists should be imprisoned for phone hacking and that the editor "also should be given a custodial sentence, and indeed the proprietor and the board of directors" - and he has had previously enjoyed a close personal and business relationship with him... not any more though. :snigger:

Quote:
More details have emerged of the manner in which Lord Sugar was told he wasn't welcome at News International's summer party nearly a fortnight ago, shortly after he'd arrived at Rupert Murdoch's bash. The Apprentice star, who made millions manufacturing set-top boxes for BSkyB, has long had a mutually beneficial relationship with the older Murdoch, and the two men know each other inside out. It was Sugar who, when chairman of Tottenham Hostpur FC, tipped off former Sky chief Sam Chisholm about the Premier League bidding process in 1992. Murdoch later repaid the favour by buying a struggling Amstrad in 2007. That relationship came to an intemperate end 10 days ago after Sugar suggested in the House of Lords that journalists should be imprisoned for phone hacking (and that the editor "also should be given a custodial sentence, and indeed the proprietor and the board of directors").

Hours later he rolled up at Murdoch's party in Kensington, only to be told by News International's director of corporate communications, Simon Greenberg, that his comments were not appreciated. Now it seems Rupert's heir apparent, James Murdoch, also gave Sugar his two pennies' worth – disappointingly, neither was witnessed pointing to the exit, nor providing him with a wheelie suitcase – and Sugar was forced to walk unceremoniously out of the party just as other high-powered guests were arriving. And so ends a business relationship that lasted for nigh on a quarter of a century. If his lordship feels the urge to take to Twitter to express his feelings, we'd be unlikely to discourage him from doing so.

So Murdoch's own supporters are suggesting prison is the appropriate reaction to their ongoing spying crimes, you know you're doomed when . . .

It's just too big to ignore, but will money and influence manage to keep the Murdochs themselves out of any legal punishments? I certainly hope not.

They presided over the crime and they got caught - they should have to do the time imo, take it like a man and don't do it again like anybody else would. I'm not sure saying "I can't remember" would get anyone else off the hook. :rolleyes:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:05 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I imagine they're far enough up the chain to be protected certainly Rupert Murdoch like he said it's 1% of his company is he really going to be that bothered where the sources are coming from? Does my MD really care how I make money on a job? No he just wants to know how much and when it'll be in the bank.

The people who are responsible are those with authority to sign off the cheques at NOTW and the person in charge of that branch of the organisation which at the time was Brookes and whoever here superior was might of been James Murdoch.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:42 am 
General
General

JSP wrote:
I imagine they're far enough up the chain to be protected certainly Rupert Murdoch like he said it's 1% of his company is he really going to be that bothered where the sources are coming from? Does my MD really care how I make money on a job? No he just wants to know how much and when it'll be in the bank.

The people who are responsible are those with authority to sign off the cheques at NOTW and the person in charge of that branch of the organisation which at the time was Brookes and whoever here superior was might of been James Murdoch.

I thought Rupert's attempt at bumbling old man routine was laughable... I can't remember? But you're running a company 100 times this big!? With no memory or direct involvement? In any of it? He said he was in daily contact with his son James so he must have known all about it imo.

And no, your MD probably doesn't care, except that you don't go so far as to get everyone sent to prison by breaking the law and getting caught. They were publishing the info they stole to the world it's not even like it was a sneaky behind-the-scenes crime - they announced it themselves over and over again on the front page! :doh:

Agree about Murdoch Jr, I don't see how James Murdoch can get out of it - he was the man in charge and his chief lieutenant Brookes and they should face a criminal prosecution. I'm not an expert on corporate law but can't the head guy (Rupert) sometimes also face the music? Is there any legal responsibility for what their underlings do? Orders nearly always come from the highest level, you wouldn't expect these were all rogue journalists acting independently.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:05 am 
General
General

If anyone has enough enthusiasm for a programme that lasts for a couple of minutes shy of FOUR HOURS long, there's a Daily Politics Special on iPlayer. The big-headed ginger Andrew Neil presents live coverage of Rupert Murdoch, his son James, and Rebekah Brooks giving evidence to the Culture, Media and Sport Committee on phone hacking.

Click The Link...http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b012zw12/The_Daily_Politics_Special/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:40 am 
National Hero
National Hero

I was always told that from supervisor up through management, directors, execs etc you are a responsible person and that ignorance cannot be used as an excuse :shrug:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:16 pm 
General
General

That was my understanding of it too, but instead they're invited to attend at their convenience as witnesses?! AFAIK he's ultimately legally responsible for corporate governance as boss of the company so his head should be on the chopping block the same as the others imho.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:30 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
Sheasy's Bum Hamster wrote:
I was always told that from supervisor up through management, directors, execs etc you are a responsible person and that ignorance cannot be used as an excuse :shrug:

you were being setup

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:08 pm 
National Hero
National Hero

:think: That would explain a few things :lol:

Feckers :rant:

:unsure: BTW, is she doing a poo in that picture? hold on.. :stop: :faint:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:00 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

i am particularly enjoying the 'we did lots of positive campaigns, we were at the forefront of the campaign to make children safe from vile predators & brought about a change in the law, referred to as 'Sarah's Law'..... then we hacked her grieving mum for vicarious thrills '

....takes self-righteous indignation to a whole new level

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-14332689

According to a report in the Guardian, the evidence uncovered by police in Mulcaire's notes is believed to relate to a phone given to Ms Payne by the NoW's then-editor Rebekah Brooks "as a gift to help her stay in touch with her supporters".

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:42 am 
General
General

And the walls keep closing in... GOOD!

As for recalling James Murdoch, they need to charge him and his cronies with it, you can't have no accountability in your organisation just because you're rich Daddy scares the hell out of the politicians that he's bribed all these years.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:57 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Harriet Harman has said that Piers Morgan has "questions to answer" over new phone hacking claims.

The deputy Labour leader made the comments after Paul McCartney's ex-wife Heather Mills told BBC's Newsnight that a Mirror Group editorial executive admitted in 2001 that her voicemail had been hacked.

Harman told Sky News: "[Piers Morgan] said he heard a 'heart-breaking' phone message, which clearly gives rise to the assumption that he'd heard a tape-recorded message.

"It is not good enough for him to say - or for someone to say on his behalf - 'I always complied with the law and the Press Complaints Commission code of conduct'. He's got to answer now we've got these allegations from Heather Mills.

"Morgan had previously written an article in the Daily Mailwhich revealed that he had heard a phone message left by McCartney on Mills's phone while they were dating.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:58 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

The former Mirror editor issued a statement which read: "The BBC has confirmed to me that this executive [named by Mills] was not employed by the Daily Mirror. I have no knowledge of any conversation any executive from other newspapers at Trinity Mirror may or may not have had with Heather Mills.

"What I can say and have knowledge of is that Sir Paul McCartney asserted that Heather Mills illegally intercepted his telephones, and leaked confidential material to the media. This is well documented, and was stated in their divorce case."

Morgan continued: "To reiterate, I have never hacked a phone, told anyone to hack a phone, nor to my knowledge published any story obtained from the hacking of a phone."

A Trinity Mirror spokesman added: "Our position is clear. All our journalists work within the criminal law and the PCC [Press Complaints Commission] code of conduct."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:13 pm 
General
General

I was kinda hoping Piers would be in big trouble. :(

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:22 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

conscience wrote:

the US Celebrity Apprentice show recently aired on BBC, revealed Morgan would stoop to any depths, to get his own way.... resorting to 'industrial espionage' on a show for charity

....doesn't reflect well, Stephen Baldwin questioned his 'ethical compass'

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:21 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Resurrection Joe wrote:
conscience wrote:

the US Celebrity Apprentice show recently aired on BBC, revealed Morgan would stoop to any depths, to get his own way.... resorting to 'industrial espionage' on a show for charity

....doesn't reflect well, Stephen Baldwin questioned his 'ethical compass'

From all accounts Piers doesn't have one of those! How did Alec question it?? :coat:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:24 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

I heard some mumurings on the Radio this morning that the Mirror and Sunday Mirror may face the same fate as NOTW. Something about more people coming forward with allegations of Phone Tapping. Apparently the Mirror/Sunday Mirrors story on Rio's ban for missing a Drugs Test was obtained from phone hacking.

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:01 pm 
Major
Major

Highscores: 4
Cameron said yesterday there is no such thing as us and them....just us. Is he going to make sure his Murdoch mates, Andy and Brookes adhere to the law like everyone else?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14541848

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:00 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Former footballer Paul Gascoigne has told the High Court he was "scared to speak to anybody" by phone during the 10 years his voicemail was hacked by Mirror Group journalists.

The former England international, 47, said the journalists had "ruined his life".

He said he had known his phone had been hacked but no-one had believed him.

Describing the experience as "horrendous", Mr Gascoigne linked the phone hacking with his alcoholism.

The former Tottenham Hotspur, Newcastle United and Everton footballer is complaining about 18 articles, all accepted to have been the product of illegal activity.

'I'm disgusted'

Mr Gascoigne told the court he would often change his phone number "several times a month" because he knew his phone was being hacked.

But his family had not believed his phone was being hacked, he said, while his therapist had told him he was "paranoid" and "going through a mental disorder".

His voice hoarse and shaking with emotion, he said: "I knew I was getting hacked by the Mirror.

"This continued for ages. Phone calls to my father and family were getting blocked so I changed my mobile.

"It happened again so I kept on changing mobiles, five or six times a month."

Mr Gascoigne said the experience of being the victim of phone hacking had been "so scary".

He said: "I was scared to speak to anybody... my parents, my family and kids, it was just horrendous.

"And people can't understand why I became an alcoholic."

After speaking briefly, Mr Gascoigne was told he would not face cross-examination by Matthew Nicklin QC, for Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN), and his evidence was going unchallenged.

He replied: "I have waited 15 years to be sat here so I am disgusted, really.

"I would like to trade my mobile phone in for a coffin because these guys have ruined my life. I have no life."

'Obsessed'

In a written statement supplied to the court, Mr Gascoigne said constant media pressure had made it very difficult for him to lead a normal and private life and had led to his family not being as close as they once were.

He said he had suffered from alcohol dependency over a number of years and had also had treatment for drug use and addiction to the drink Red Bull.

Between 2000 and 2006 he had wrongly accused people close to him, such as his stepdaughter Bianca, of going to the newspapers with stories about him, he said.

"I became obsessed about being monitored. I felt that I was being watched or listened into all the time for years and the pressure on me because of that was more than I think any sane person could bear," he said.

'Psychological abuse'

Former EastEnders actress Lucy Taggart, previously known as Lucy Benjamin, followed Mr Gascoigne into the witness box and described the effect the publication of a string of articles had had on her.

Her voice breaking, she said: "With each one I always felt like I had to pick myself up and dust myself off and carry on.

"But on the following day or following week there would be another article about something else and it felt like I was being punched and battered and bruised.

"It felt I was in a boxing ring without any gloves."

When phone hacking appeared in the news, Ms Taggart said she "knew it was the Mirror that had done it".

MGN accepted it had published 17 articles as a result of hacking the voicemail of ex-EastEnders actress Lucy Taggart She said: "The Mirror were the worst culprit as far as I was concerned.

"The Mirror wrote the dirtiest stories and I always felt like the articles were a personal attack."

She added: "I feel like the people who worked at the paper were sadistic and their mission was to destroy people's lives."

MGN has admitted publishing 17 articles about Ms Taggart between 2000 and 2006 as a result of phone hacking.

Ms Taggart said she believed MGN had "slaughtered" her over the seven years she was targeted, describing the extent of the intrusion as "nothing short of psychological abuse".

The hearing at the High Court in London is considering what compensation should be paid by MGN to BBC creative director Alan Yentob, soap stars Shane Richie, Shobna Gulati and Lucy Taggart, former footballer Paul Gascoigne, actress Sadie Frost, TV producer Robert Ashworth and flight attendant Lauren Alcorn.

Seven of the claimants have referred to at least 109 published stories.

The court has previously heard phone hacking at the newspaper group was on an "industrial scale".

MGN said the hacking was carried out by a "trusted inner circle".