Hook
Bi centennial man

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Robin Williams RIP
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:04 am 
Major
Major

Highscores: 4
Very sad. Always remember watching watching Mork and Mindy in the mornings during the summer holidays on Channel 4 as a kid.

Awakings and Insomnia were two great films aswell.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:15 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Highscores: 8
Sad indeed and a bit of a shock too.

RIP.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:48 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

RIP funny man - depression takes another one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:26 pm 
Major General
Major General

what feciking depression .. :angry: :angry: .. looser

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:10 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

My childhood hero R.I.P

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:50 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Highscores: 1
Nee-mania Vidic wrote:
massive massive loss

Mrs Doubtfire
Flubber
Patch Adams
GW Hunting
Hook
Bi centennial man

Real shame, terrible illness depresion. Made worse by the fact it's a taboo subject so those suffering feel even more isolated.

You also missed my favourite film of his as well as one of my favourites of all time.

Good Morning Vietnam.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:14 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

pakrooney wrote:

Very disturbing post that Pak.

Depression is an illness that can effect anyone rich or poor and if what he was going through took him to a dark enough place to take his own life then you have to show some compassion towards him.

He was in a lot of great films that I remember from when I was a kid Hook, Mrs Doubtfire, Jumanji & Alladin stand out and he was always a great guest whenever you see him on chat shows etc.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:24 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

ilovemybrick wrote:
Nee-mania Vidic wrote:
massive massive loss

Mrs Doubtfire
Flubber
Patch Adams
GW Hunting
Hook
Bi centennial man

Real shame, terrible illness depresion. Made worse by the fact it's a taboo subject so those suffering feel even more isolated.

You also missed my favourite film of his as well as one of my favourites of all time.

Good Morning Vietnam.

...and Jumanji....wish we could get Allan back by just rolling a pair of dice :(

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:18 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

A sad story. I've seen mental illness up close and the damage it does.

Dealing with it is hard, awareness of it is good as it might eventually educate those who mistake it for weakness.

Can't watch his films though :ninja: With two or three exceptions, his filmography reads like the bargain buckets you'd find at HMV when your trying to kill time while your Missus is shopping and you see Flubber for a quid and you try and remember the film but it's like trying to remember a beige cardigan you might have worn during a caravan holiday in Skegness back in '94 and instead you buy "The Rock" for £2.99 because you know that's at least a weirdly entertaining kind of crap.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:27 pm 
Major General
Major General

JSP wrote:
pakrooney wrote:

Very disturbing post that Pak.

Depression is an illness that can effect anyone rich or poor and if what he was going through took him to a dark enough place to take his own life then you have to show some compassion towards him.

Yup, but taking life ?? i dont get it , these cases are not normal here .. You forgot to add Jack to list ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:04 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I wrote out a long post which didn't go through due to being on my phone. Depression is an illness and it may not be 'the norm' there Pac but I can gaurentee you know someone who has gone through it. Just your attitude towards it has left them ashamed and unable to tell you.

Instead of making such disgusting comments educate yourself on the matter.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:38 pm 
Major General
Major General

Well we get shot bombed targeted killed cracker bombs injustice ... TBH i have never ever even in my friends family relatives surrounding faced this depression ultimately converting into suicide .. i hope my comments are not that offensive and why should i feel ashamed ?? plz enlighten me on this topic.. speed committed suicide and that time even i couldnt figure out what was the reason that made him commit such a crime... Pressure ?? No family ? ? why depression ..

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:47 pm 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Highscores: 7
pakrooney wrote:
Well we get shot bombed targeted killed cracker bombs injustice ... TBH i have never ever even in my friends family relatives surrounding faced this depression ultimately converting into suicide .. i hope my comments are not that offensive and why should i feel ashamed ?? plz enlighten me on this topic.. speed committed suicide and that time even i couldnt figure out what was the reason that made him commit such a crime... Pressure ?? No family ? ? why depression ..

One must be at the very lowest to think that their problems will end only if they kill themselves. He obviously had no where left to go, so he just ended it.

Like what's been said already, it's an illness, you can be the richest person in the world, have everything you could ever want and still suffer from it. It doesn't need something specifically bad to set it off, it just happens, and mostly over time it gets gradually worse until you feel there's no escape.

Asking "why depression" is like asking why cancer, why parkinsons.. people develop them.

Not sure what point you're trying to make with your bombed comment, but the last thing someone is going to think about when they have a mental illness is what else is going on in the world to try and cheer themselves up, it wouldn't help them to think they have a better, more privileged life. They can't just 'snap out of it'.

Your ignorance on this thread has annoyed me. :hmm:

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:36 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Highscores: 8
Well said Reedo.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:56 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Spot on Reedo :thumbup:

On Williams it has since come out via a statement from his family that he was in the early stages of Parkinsons disease which might be why he decided to take his own life as he couldn't handle the thought of dealing with that disease.

It's like addictions some people can handle alcohol/drugs/gambling and there brain has an on/off switch for dealing with these things whereas some don't once they try it they're hooked and their body craves it every minute of every day and it can destroy their lives.

Depression is the same some people have ups and downs but they can control the downs and "snap out of it" others can't and they just spiral downwards and some seek help others suffer in silence. These people have a weakness and it's our role as society to help them with that weakness in the same way we should try and help addicts not just mock them for their problems we should show some compassion to these people and try to help them as much as we can.

I don't think it helps that suffering from depression or addictions is portrayed in the media as a sign of weakness especially amongst males.

I think we can all agree that it's sad that a man who gave joy to so many couldn't find happyness in his own life

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:32 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Jake was rescued by his girlfriend and has been confronting his depression ever since. But for all too many men, there is no rescue. Last week, millions were shocked by the suicide of beloved actor Robin Williams. The aftermath has provoked a long-neglected debate about mental health and suicide.

A cursory look at the statistics in Britain suggests it is dearly needed. Suicide is the biggest killer of men between 20 and 49, eclipsing road accidents, cancer and coronary heart disease. It is also predominantly a male disorder. Of the 5,981 suicides in 2012, an astonishing 4,590 (76%) were men. And yet while Britain has high-profile campaigns on, say, testicular cancer or driving safely, the biggest killer of men under 50 is not getting the attention it deserves.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:11 am 
Major General
Major General

Reedo wrote:
pakrooney wrote:

One must be at the very lowest to think that their problems will end only if they kill themselves. He obviously had no where left to go, so he just ended it.

Like what's been said already, it's an illness, you can be the richest person in the world, have everything you could ever want and still suffer from it. It doesn't need something specifically bad to set it off, it just happens, and mostly over time it gets gradually worse until you feel there's no escape.

Asking "why depression" is like asking why cancer, why parkinsons.. people develop them.

Not sure what point you're trying to make with your bombed comment, but the last thing someone is going to think about when they have a mental illness is what else is going on in the world to try and cheer themselves up, it wouldn't help them to think they have a better, more privileged life. They can't just 'snap out of it'.

Not trying to make any bumb statement just justifying that its normal way to unpredicted death over here :no: , neither im making myself happy over others misfortunes.You guyz have taken have my comment to whole new level as if im very happy and proving a point here .. roll over gary speed thread iirc i made a similar statement.. your ignorance prejudice has annoyed me too .. :angry: :rant:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:11 am 
Major General
Major General

Reedo wrote:
pakrooney wrote:

Not trying to make any bumb statement just justifying that its normal way to unpredicted death over here :no: , neither im making myself happy over others misfortunes.You guyz have taken have my comment to whole new level as if im very happy and proving a point here .. roll over gary speed thread iirc i made a similar statement.. your ignorance prejudice has annoyed me too .. :angry: :rant:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:35 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

No one else has displayed any ignorance in here pak. You're rambling and talking boll*cks.

People get bombed? No sh*t, it's awful, one of the worst things in life is seeing that sort of thing go on. But what does it have to do with depression?

Maybe you haven't seen anyone with depression.. Maybe you do know someone who does have it but is afraid to tell you, if you're attitude towards the illness is "loser" then why would they? Or maybe you're just lucky and don't know anyone who has had it. I'm lucky enough to not know anyone who's had AIDS but I'm still not going to call people losers when it kills them.

What's the Gary Speed thread got to do with it? You made a similarly ignorant comment in there? No one commented? Id guess it was either not seen (so presumably isn't a real thing by your logic) or was deleted.

I don't know loads about depression either, but it's obviously a real disease that destroys people. Even if it could it be proven that no one where you're from suffers from it.. Would that make it less real? Like sickle cell tends to only kill black people with African ancestry.. It's still a disease that kills people. I can't just say "well no one I know ever had it so those losers should just stop with this death bullsh*t".