Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Rushden & Diamonds Expelled From Conference
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:37 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
Rushden & Diamonds have been thrown out of the Conference Premier for failing to pay creditors and face a winding-up petition on Monday.

The club were fined £2,000 and docked five points earlier in the season and although they successfully avoided relegation, their precarious financial position has now seen them expelled from the division.

Chief executive Steve Beasant told the club's official website: "The primary reason why we've been expelled is because of the financial issues with the winding-up petition."

Diamond’s expulsion means that relegated Southport will remain in the league.The club had been linked with a consortium headed by Glenn Hoddle although Beasant concedes that time ran out with regards to securing investment.

"We've had two investment consortiums show interest in taking over the club and injecting money," he told BBC Radio Northampton

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Rushden & Diamonds Expelled From Conference
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:56 am 
Captain
Captain

This is a big problem in the conference though, Teams spend more than they earn for years, pushing the teams that try to live within their means out, and when it doesnt work, they go bust, there are conference teams going bust all the time, and dont get me onto the 'where's the money coming from' thing. Th sad thing is that when these forkers go up the swanee theres always someone with the same approach waiting to take their place.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:36 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Rushden & Diamonds have been expelled from the Football Conference for financial reasons, ahead of a hearing for a winding-up petition on Monday.

"The primary reason why we've been expelled is because of the financial issues with the winding-up petition," said chief executive Steve Beasant.

Relegated Southport earn a reprieve as Diamonds' fate means they will stay up.

Thurrock will remain in the Blue Square Bet South, while Bishop's Stortford will move to Blue Square Bet North.

Hopes of being rescued by a consortium linked in with the Glenn Hoddle Academy were dashed on Friday.

And, although the club made a presentation to the Football Conference AGM concerning their status for next season, they have now lost their place in the league.

"We've had two investment consortiums show interest in taking over the club and injecting money," Beasant told BBC Radio Northampton.

"We needed more time to get that interest confirmed.

"We've got a business model and we had investors but the conditions put on us by the Conference made the deal impossible."
Continue reading the main story

Quote:
The priority is to make sure that the club isn't wound up on Monday
Steve Beasant
Rushden & Diamonds chief executive

Beasant says that Diamonds will now aim to find a place in next season's Zamaretto League - a drop of at least two divisions.

"We'd have to make representation to them to be included, so we'll deal with that on Monday," he said. "But the priority is to make sure that the club isn't wound up on Monday.

"We've got to deal with the winding-up petition. We're looking for an adjournment."

Cash-strapped Rushden's financial problems have been well documented.

They were fined £2,000 and docked five points last month, leading to them being demoted one place to 13th in the final Blue Square Bet Premier table.

Rushden were created in 1992 when club founder Max Griggs merged Rushden Town and Irthlingborough Diamonds.

He was then at the helm for 11 years, building a new home at Nene Park, during which time he took the club into the Football League in 2001.

But Griggs stepped down at the age of 65 in October 2003, deciding that he has done all he could do for them.

He gave the stadium and 22 acres of land to the club's Supporters Trust in 2005.

But the former owner resigned as life president in January 2007, following an argument over land.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:59 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
RIP R&D. It's always sad to see a club fall by the wayside, however badly they were run. The fans deserve better even if the owners don't.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:34 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Northampton Town have told Rushden & Diamonds supporters they can exchange their Diamonds season ticket for one at Sixfields, at no extra cost.

Diamonds were expelled from the Football Conference at the weekend, but are considering a legal appeal.

The Cobblers have swooped in though, offering League Two football to disillusioned Rushden fans.

"We understand some supporters may take this offer, some may not," said Cobblers chairman David Cardoza.

"But it is a genuine offer to those supporters who will have a void in their weekends this coming season to allow them to come and watch League football at their own prices.

"We have always had a good relationship with Rushden & Diamonds and their supporters, and we recently staged a bucket collection at the England C game at Sixfields to raise money for their fund to try and save their club."

The deal requires Rushden fans who have already purchased their season ticket to hand in their receipt or season ticket book at Sixfields.

An adult season ticket at Nene Park costs between £300 and £330, while the Cobblers' charges start from £350.

Northampton have also told Rushden supporters who have yet to renew their ticket they can purchase a Sixfields season ticket for the price of one for the 2011/12 Rushden campaign.

Rushden, who also face a winding-up petition, could end up in the Zamaretto League if they do not win an appeal to stay in the Conference and they meet their potential new league's conditions.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:36 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Rushden & Diamonds have entered administration and, according to the administrator, are no longer "in a position to continue trading".

The news comes after an appeal against expulsion from the Conference was withdrawn on Monday.

That's them gone....who's next? :shrug:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:09 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Eight years ago, Rushden & Diamonds were a club on the up.

They were secure, with plenty of cash. They had a decent and reputable owner. And they were competitive in League One following successive promotions.

Today, the club is effectively no more, after being thrown out of the Blue Square Bet Premier and turfed out of Nene Park.

The club are set to go into administration, have a winding-up petition around the corner and, just to compound their fans' misery, the keys to the ground are about to be handed over to arch-rivals Kettering Town for the new season.

Quote:
The facilites at Nene Park were Championship level. It was like fantasy world really
Roger Ashby
Former manager

Former Tottenham defender Justin Edinburgh, who was appointed as the club's manager in April 2009, said: "It is a sad day for a lot of good people and good supporters in and around the football club."

So where did it all go wrong?

Rushden & Diamonds were formed at the end of the 1991/92 season as a merger between Rushden Town of the Southern League and Irthlingborough Diamonds, from the United Counties League.

Max Griggs, a local businessman and owner of the shoe company Dr Martens, was supplying the cash and the magnificent Nene Park stadium complex arose.

The first manager of the newly formed club was Roger Ashby.

"The facilites at Nene Park were Championship level," he remembers. "It was like fantasy world really. Before we knew where we were, we had won one or two leagues and found ourselves in the Football League."

So what happened?

Six years ago, Griggs decided he could take Rushden & Diamonds no further with the club losing money every year.
Quote:
From Max Griggs to present

1992 - Rushden & Diamonds are formed, playing in the Southern League
1996 - Promoted to the Conference
2001 - Promoted to the Football League
2003 - Promoted to Division Two (today's League One)
2005 - Griggs steps down as chairman and hands club to Supporters' Trust
2006 - Supporters' Trust hand control to Keith Cousins
2010 - Cousins steps down
2011 - Club expelled from the Conference and becomes insolvent
Quote:

He attempted to sell the club but was unsuccessful and instead gave the club, the land and a sizeable chunk of money to the Supporters' Trust.

The financial problems mounted and led to the supporters handing over control to businessman Keith Cousins who took charge of the club and the land four years ago.

Cousins did bring costs down but the club still ran at a loss and in December 2010 he gave the club, but not the land, to Gary Calder and Liam Beasant.

But Calder soon left and Beasant was joined by his father Steve. The financial problems dramatically worsened, the taxman came calling and recently the club was served a winding-up petition.

Griggs bankrolled the climb to Division Two (today's League One)

It comes as little surprise to Jon Ward, who has helped set up the phoenix group SaveRDFC.

"We all expected it to be honest," he says. "When the club was handed over in December, things didn't seem right.

"Come May we were told by Keith Cousins we had two weeks to raise £750,000 which was nigh on impossible."

Ashby wonders what Griggs makes of it.

"I would have thought he would be particularly aggravated by the situation but I suppose it's one of those things that happen in football."

So what now?

SaveRDFC has formed AFC Rushden & Diamonds and the idea is to be playing football this time next year. But that is unlikely to be at Nene Park now Kettering Town have signed an agreement to use the ground.

"Not only have we lost our club but our rivals are moving in as well to rub salt into the wounds," said Ward.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:15 pm 
Captain
Captain

Cant feel sorry for the fans, they were part of the problem, they did after all run R&D for a while.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, too many conference teams are living off benefactors who for some reason have money to burn and its cheating IMHO because the teams that have to live within their means cant compete and good well run teams are dropping down the scale because of it. This season Altrincham were relegated because they insisted on not living of an overdraft so couldnt get the best players available. I was under the impression that the Conference were going to introduce their own version of the fair play rules, if so it isnt working.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:17 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Mr Spock wrote:
I was under the impression that the Conference were going to introduce their own version of the fair play rules, if so it isnt working.

...I was under the impression they had....and it was related to turnover

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:23 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

It is a bit unfair - rich man infuses team with cash they didn't earn, leading to massive overhead costs from highly-paid players, staff, stadia etc which can't be offset by actual income of club --> rich man gets tired of spending his own money and pulls the legs out from under the table --> administration.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:27 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

ManMoreFyahYoo wrote:
It is a bit unfair - rich man infuses team with cash they didn't earn, leading to massive overhead costs from highly-paid players, staff, stadia etc which can't be offset by actual income of club --> rich man gets tired of spending his own money and pulls the legs out from under the table --> administration.

<cough> CHELSEA <cough> Citeh <cough>

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:50 pm 
Captain
Captain

ManMoreFyahYoo wrote:

Where its really unfair is on the teams that live within their means and get relegated as a result

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:53 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Mr Spock wrote:
ManMoreFyahYoo wrote:

Where its really unfair is on the teams that live within their means and get relegated as a result

And Kettering Town are looking into moving into R&D's ground. More salt in the wounds.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:07 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Mr Spock wrote:
ManMoreFyahYoo wrote:

That too... uneven playing field whichever way you look at it, and the sugar daddy rarely stays for life (or we jsut haven't lived long enough to check that one!)