Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: All Welsh final - Blue square bet premier play off final
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:57 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Highscores: 1
Wrexham and Newport both won their semi final second legs to guarantee an all Welsh final to cap off an amazing year for football in the principalilty! Wether you agree with the fact they should or shouldn't be in there, you can't deny Welsh football is on the up!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: All Welsh final - Blue square bet premier play off final
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:00 am 
Colonel
Colonel

Sparkys kneecap wrote:
Wrexham and Newport both won their semi final second legs to guarantee an all Welsh final to cap off an amazing year for football in the principalilty! Wether you agree with the fact they should or shouldn't be in there, you can't deny Welsh football is on the up!

But is it? Or are the teams in the English Leagues on the up? How many of the players at Wrexham, Swansea, Cardiff and Newport are eligible for the Welsh Squad, how many would improve it?

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:17 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I think if you compare it to a few years back when it look dead and buried apart from Bellamy how many of the Welsh national team 5 years ago were playing in the Premiership?

They've got a half decent crop of players coming through now who are at decent sides Ramsey, Bale & Allen for example.

Ashley Williams is doing well at Swansea and I know there's a lad at Palace (Williams I think) who people are very excited about.

Cardiff have bought there way into the Premiership that cannot be disputed and there is nothing wrong with doing that but they've sold there soul to reach the promised land. In comparison Swansea were given a massive helping hand when the local council helped fund that stadium which has helped them climb the leagues although they have done it some would argue the proper way.

I don't know much about the conference sides but fair play to them getting back into the football league is one hell of a challenge.

I guess the real judge of how on the up Welsh football is will be how they do in qualification for Euro 2016 (they really need to get themselves into a higher seeding pot with a strong finish to WC 2014 qualification) and how Cardiff do in the Premier League. Everything is there for those two clubs to really establish themselves as they have a captive audience, decent stadiums and aren't carrying huge debts.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:08 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

yeah I suppose your right it needs to translate to the national stage and technically a lot of English and foreign players are in the sides. Still a big morale boost and can only give promising youngsters something to aspire too. A football mad Cardiff youngster now can look up to his hometown team rather than the Utd, City, Chelsea usual following. Bet the WRU are crapping themselves atm!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:28 am 
Major General
Major General

Sparkys kneecap wrote:
A football mad Cardiff youngster now can look up to his hometown team rather than the Utd, City, Chelsea usual following.

The flip side of that is that it's now a lot harder to reach the level of playing for Cardiff, as they're pumping a lot of money into buying foreign players.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:16 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

The Welsh clubs who've made it to the top need to make sure they use that money wisely and invest it in infastructure at the club and by that I mean the academies to produce players for them long term. My concern for Cardiff would be that the owner might panic buy should the club struggle next season as he needs that club in the Premier League.

The sad reality of modern football is that a Cardiff born youngster who's mad about his football will only follow Cardiff if his dad does or if they're succesful it's so easy to support a big team because you can watch nearly every game on TV or online.