The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Football Manager 2009 Reviews - the Game is Relseased
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:58 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

as the demo is out tomorrow thought it'd be a good time to start a reviews thread

Last edited by Jarv on Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Football Manager 2009 Reviews - Demo out now
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:34 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

the Demo is available to download now from

http://www.footballmanager.net/

will let you know my thoughts once its downlaoded, the strawberry version is nearly 1gb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:38 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:41 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Downloading the demo now, taking damn ages! 22% done after about 2 hours lol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:02 pm 
Private First Class
Private First Class

well i was on the forums yesterday and read that they would probably be able to push the release and hour forward to 11pm, so i took a look and there i saw it, ready to download. so using steam (which i already had) i started downloading it, considering how busy it probably was, i was very pleased to see it was going at a nice 800-900kb/s. Already i was pleased.

So then after a fair little wait (it was 1400MB or something i think), i was able to open it up, now once it got into the game i was very pleased to see that it was fairly quick even on my machine which isn't near a top model anymore. Loading up a quick save and chosing reading as my team of course i was able to see already tiny little changes like the fact it tells you average ticket/season ticket prices and how many ST holders there are normally for that team, just so you have a little idea already about their financial potential. After taking over all the normal stuff happened, but then the assistant manager advice struck me as being very helpful already, he told me the weakest position is on the right wing which i knew already, but then he recomended about 4 players which would be likely targets and good buys, all of which i agree'd with. So i decided i'd try and purchase sebastian larsson from brum, after an enquiry they asked for 4.5mill or so, thinking that before on 08 usually this would mean they'd take almost no less i thought i'd see how much they changed the transfer system, low and behold i offered 4mill which was accepted. Next there was my press conference, not much really going on here i suppose i need to build up my relationship with the media before that gets really interesting. Then after finalising my first signing i went on to prchase two more players (razvan rat & viana). Next my first game, playing a tactic which i quickly made up against a fairly poor team (but was being made out to be equal to me) i won 4-0 and the media acted like it was a shocking result, i wasn't complaining though. The 3D was interesting, made my laugh when i saw doyle scored my first goal and rose his arm, running around to celebrate. TBH as long as you're not expecting much from the 3D engine but a bit of a novelty thing i don't think you'll be disappointed, but i don't think you'll be really pleased either. i also noticed in the game the assistant manager's advice, some of it i used and it seemed fairly usfull, but after doing what he said the advice didn't disappear.

on the downside i also found the odd annoyance, the worst thing of all for me is every character that i type, ends up coming out twice, meaning after typing a letter i always have to press backspace right afterwards. e.g when i type 'ronaldo' it comes out as 'rroonnaallddoo' (i've just read however that this has been patched already). also i couldn't see a 'full screen' box for me to untick, leading me to think that i can't play it in window mode but i'll take a proper look in a minute. tactics do seem fairly hard too, but may be i haven't given it enough time, also you should know that they have changed player runs so that you can only make a player have a farrow or barrow, no sarrow's anymore, they can also only move one position forward or back too.

overall, don't expect too much of an improvement from 08 and i think you'll be happy enough, still hoping they fix the odd thing here and there but i'm happy enough to play this (but then again once the 8.0.2 patch came out i enjoyed FM08 which lots of people still couldn't enjoy).

Last edited by Garf on Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:36 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

after playing for a few hours there are a few nice tweaks as mentioned below, the assistant advice is better than before

runs better than 08 and the pre-season seemed to go much faster than before which is good

A few annoyances though i seem to be getting shed loads of injuries, in a game vs chelsea i got 3 and so did chelsea, 2 more in the community shield and another 2 in the next game vs wigan.

also i was 2-1 down vs Portsmouth in the 83rd minute and VDS stood on the ball for a minute but i'm assuming thats just a little bug with the new match engine.

Chelsea offere4d be 9 million for Rio Ferdinand which isn't realistic in the slightest.

Also i seem to remember the 08 demo not having a run in window option

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:41 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Jarv wrote:
after playing for a few hours there are a few nice tweaks as mentioned below, the assistant advice is better than before

runs better than 08 and the pre-season seemed to go much faster than before which is good

A few annoyances though i seem to be getting shed loads of injuries, in a game vs chelsea i got 3 and so did chelsea, 2 more in the community shield and another 2 in the next game vs wigan.

also i was 2-1 down vs Portsmouth in the 83rd minute and VDS stood on the ball for a minute but i'm assuming thats just a little bug with the new match engine.

Chelsea offere4d be 9 million for Rio Ferdinand which isn't realistic in the slightest.

Also i seem to remember the 08 demo not having a run in window option

Yeah Chelsea and Rio had a love in during the transfer window every day they were telling the press that it was an honor and how they wanted to work together and a 9mil bid followed :lol:

I got sacked before the end of preseason though I wanted more funds they would give them to me so they sacked me :laugh:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:24 pm 
Private First Class
Private First Class

completely agree with the injury problem too, also i've found out how to put it in window mode, rather than having a full screen box, now in the section where you chose your resolution you just chose window at the top and you can make it whatever size you like.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:24 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

started a game as Plymouth as i know nowt about them to see what the games like as a club i don't know a lot about.

still got a lot of injuries and your assistant manager makes a big difference to player recommendations the guy for Plymouth recommended some right duds even for a league 2 side never mind the championship.

Enjoying the demo tho

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:03 pm 
Major General
Major General

Game's out tomorrow!

I've found that decent players are easier to buy in this one, clubs are more willing to sell which I quite enjoy as I find finding new players and building a team the most exciting part of FM.

As for the injuries issue I think they've said they're releasing a couple of patches tomorrow to fix a couple of problems, I assume this will be one of them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:13 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Initial impressions - injuries are a problem. They'll fix that. Was actually impressed with the speed it ran at, it'll be interesting to see if the full game is as nimble. The 3D view sucks lol. But it's a decent attempt they'll refine over the coming years, and it makes a nice change.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:26 pm 
Major General
Major General

conscience wrote:
Initial impressions - injuries are a problem. They'll fix that. Was actually impressed with the speed it ran at, it'll be interesting to see if the full game is as nimble. The 3D view sucks lol. But it's a decent attempt they'll refine over the coming years, and it makes a nice change.

I wasn't actually suprised by the poor quality 3D, I wasn't expecting much from it and find it quite entertaining to see how the players actually play, i.e if a good stat in finishing actually means they will finish better as in the past I never really thought stats made much of a difference. Good stats didn't mean good player which I found odd.

Have found some nice players so far in the new one - Balotelli of Inter looks fantastic and is only 17, they've got a young RB as well who apparently has the potential to be really good. Unfortunately it doesn't look like they've given Rafael and Fabio the potential they deserve (imo), and they've made Rafael the better of the brothers which is strange as everyone says Fabio is apparently better. Fiorentina have some nice players too, Jovetic who I've never really heard of before is amazing but impossible to get hold of straight away from what I've seen.

Looking forward to seeing how Anderson turns out after a few seasons, all the scouts and coaches say he has the potential to be one of the best at the club.

Post subject: Re: Football Manager 2009 Reviews - the Game is Relseased
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:21 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

My initial review is at http://awaygoalsrule.wordpress.com/

if you have any further thoughts or comments let me know

Post subject: Re: Football Manager 2009 Reviews - the Game is Relseased
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:18 pm 
Major General
Major General

Unrealistic - Ando just scored a screamer from 30 yards for me, when we all know the lad couldn't score in a brothel :D